Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I find it funny you guys throwing up over part 1 of Clement's review. Part 2 is much more detailed and more understandable and he doesn't just rage.

• Thumbs Up 7

Clement's review has made me think about the game more recently. I'm a Clement fan so it's actually quite funny to watch.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing this review...I agree with all the points being made, but instead of pushing me away from the game, the review is making me want to play the game. Is that sad or what? :P

I got this game under the naive impression that it was actually good, granted I was only 13 when this game came out so that might explain it.

Well, I'll provide something about how I got Sonic 06...ahem...reading this may be painful.

I got Sonic 06 because at the time I thought it looked like the best Sonic game ever, I loved the idea of playing as three different hedgehogs: each with different abilities, I loved the story description in Wikipedia, and I thought the game would provide one of the best Sonic stories ever, the level themes seemed fantastic and I thought I would enjoy them all, I looked up so many let's plays of the games, and I thought it was just downright awesome, then I realized there were other characters to play as too, and I was so excited to play as them too. Then I found out about the glitches, and I was like, these glitches are totally awesome and hilarious! I thought the music seemed like the coolest Sonic music ever. I thought art style of the game was pretty cool, and it looked pretty realistic; I didn't get the dislike for it. I read up so many reviews about how bad the game was, and I didn't care, I still wanted to get the game anyways. I thought that no. A game with so many cool characters and levels and story would not fail, it would be fantastic. I thought that Mephiles, Iblis, and Solaris would make an amazing villain part of the story, I thought Eggman would be completely awesome in the game, I though that the gameplay would be pretty cool with tons of moves and high speed and telekinesis and Chaos Boost with Sonic and Silver and Shadow. All in all, I thought this would be the ultimate game to get....and it was the reason I got my Xbox 360....and in my liking towards the game, I 100%-ed it. Yes, this is all true.

When I played it....I loved it. I just thought it was so cool. And then about three months later, I began to think the game was a piece of shit, and I agreed with almost everything others said about the game. And now, I look upon it as both a game that I don't like at all, and an objectively bad Sonic game. I guess thinking just does that to you.

Edited by Burnt Ash
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I intially played it, I greatly enjoyed it and thought it was a great game. As time progressed, I began to think about the other points of view and began to more closely analyze the flaws, I began to see that it was a flawed game.

But I still enjoy it. There's just something about it that I find charming. Yes, even I get tired of the flaws sometimes,

like the 'maurity' meter not working at all, like when throwing multiple objects with silver, all the objects just bounce off each other, so the 'throw all' move is sadly pointless, like the chaos lance being able to only hit one target,

like the chaos blast having less range than a chaos attack, like Super Sonic not damaging solaris in the second phase unless he's at the very top of the screen, and even then that does not always work,

like rouge and knuckles getting stuck, like knuckles falling too fast when gliding, like the spin jump not working at all, (why even spin jump?) etc... I still have fun with the game, because for me at times, it has a great epic (overused word, I know) feeling that I can immerse myself into. The soundtrack is a large factor of this.

It's an incredibly flawed game; it's an unfinished beta, but I still enjoy it. I don't fully understand it myself, but that is how I feel. I still enjoy nearly as much as I did when I first got it all those years ago, and it brings back a lot of memories from 2006. 2006 was a very eventful year for me with some powerful memories, some good, some bad, like my apartment building being on fire :/ The memories that come back to me is another factor why I'm still glad I have Sonic 06.

Edited by DarkDefeater

I find it funny you guys throwing up over part 1 of Clement's review. Part 2 is much more detailed and more understandable and he doesn't just rage.

Oh he rages, it's just controlled rage! biggrin.png

Edited by MamboCat

I don't even understand why we keep talking about Sonic '06. It's fucking terrible. Let it die, and let's move on to the future.

Unless, of course, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed sucks as well. It probably won't, and I have high hopes.

I don't even understand why we keep talking about Sonic '06. It's fucking terrible. Let it die, and let's move on to the future.

Come now. There's only one reason why we should ever stop talking about a game, and that's if nobody wants to talk about it. If that's the case then the thread will die through neglect and harmony is restored.

I'd never heard of that Clements guy before, and I'm enjoying his videos, so I certainly got something positive out of this thread.

Same here. I enjoy his mannerisms. I'm curious about his other reviews. I'll look at em when I have more time later.

I think I recall knowing someone who literally smashed their disc up to pieces or something like that. I don't really agree with some idiot taking it this far, I mean, I know it's a shitty game but that's no excuse for that stupid asshole to smash up the disc! Oh well, I was only 15.

WAIT FFFFFFU--

• Thumbs Up 4

I think I recall knowing someone who literally smashed their disc up to pieces or something like that. I don't really agree with some idiot taking it this far, I mean, I know it's a shitty game but that's no excuse for that stupid asshole to smash up the disc! Oh well, I was only 15.

WAIT FFFFFFU--

Sounds like you have rage problems. I think I smashed my Sonic 06 disc as well.......by er, accident.

How could you smash that disc though, it's got an excellent soundtrack on it.

Sounds like you have rage problems. I think I smashed my Sonic 06 disc as well.......by er, accident.

How could you smash that disc though, it's got an excellent soundtrack on it.

They released an album with all the games' songs in full. Making the actual game fucking worthless unless you're like a fly on shit ;)

i do agree with the music and cutscenes, but when i first bought it after a few days, i didn't experience any glitches which i can say for now. if i pick up the game again, i'll find the glitches if i can just for the sake of it

I think I recall knowing someone who literally smashed their disc up to pieces or something like that.

Actually.... didn't Clement do that... because someone dared him to?! XD

Might have just been clever editing, mind... like Arby 'n the Chief smashing up their owner's copy of Ocarina of Time...

Edited by MamboCat

Ya know, as bad as this game's story is, and don't get me wrong, it is shit to the highest degree and deserves the hate it gets. BUT, can anyone say the story wasn't exciting? I mean yeah, for all of the wrong reasons and that doesn't make it right, but the point of a story is to evoke an emotional response, whether it's negative or positive, and nobody can tell me 06 didn't do that. I mean the story has plenty going on with it primarily in Shadow & Silver's stories, and there are plenty of twists and turns. What I don't understand is how people say it's somehow worse than Unleashed/Colors/Generations, when honestly both are guilty of being pretty shitty

Unleashed/Colors/Generations dedicate more of their scenes to pointless exposition with the characters, and trying to make everyone laugh instead of actually making shit happen to advance their plot, and only starts acting like it has a plot at the end of the game, but at the very least it's decently written. 06 has everything those three games lacked; there's plenty of action as much as exposition, the plot feels like it's moving along, and it builds up to a climax, it's problem? It's poorly written out the ass. So I fail to see how one can be considered the "better" one when both are pretty guilty of being shit, just shit in different areas. I mean, I'll always prefer Colors, but I won't go thinking it's somehow the better written game when it's not.

Unleashed/Colors/Generations dedicate more of their scenes to pointless exposition with the characters, and trying to make everyone laugh instead of actually making shit happen to advance their plot, and only starts acting like it has a plot at the end of the game

Nope. Colors perhaps since it's a more comical game. Unleashed has plenty of stuff happening to advance the plot and Generations really has anything happening in it since the plot is so unimportant.

Edited by sonfan1984

Ya know, as bad as this game's story is, and don't get me wrong, it is shit to the highest degree and deserves the hate it gets. BUT, can anyone say the story wasn't exciting?
Yes. Sonic's story goes nowhere aside from the awkward pseudoromance, Silver is gullible as fuck and spends most of the game working for Obvious McBadGuy, who is not at all compelling as a villain, Shadow is boring, Iblis is boring, Sonic's death is so contrived that it doesn't have any emotional impact...

I mean yeah, for all of the wrong reasons and that doesn't make it right, but the point of a story is to evoke an emotional response, whether it's negative or positive, and nobody can tell me 06 didn't do that.
The urge to turn the game off and regretting the money spent on it is not the kind of emotional response the game should invoke.

I mean the story has plenty going on with it primarily in Shadow & Silver's stories, and there are plenty of twists and turns. What I don't understand is how people say it's somehow worse than Unleashed/Colors/Generations, when honestly both are guilty of being pretty shitty
If nothing else '06 is the worst because it's actively terrible rather than just weak.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Nope. Colors perhaps since it's a more comical game. Unleashed has plenty of stuff happening to advance the plot and Generations really has anything happening in it since the plot is so unimportant.

Like? I mean there's a lot of exposition, but there's not a lot of any actual events going on after the opening and up until Eggmanland.

Yes. Sonic's story goes nowhere aside from the awkward pseudoromance, Silver is gullible as fuck and spends most of the game working for Obvious McBadGuy, who is not at all compelling as a villain, Shadow is boring, Iblis is boring, Sonic's death is so contrived that it doesn't have any emotional impact...

Perhaps "exciting" is the wrong word "Shit is actually happening" is what I was going more for.

The urge to turn the game off and regretting the money spent on it is not the kind of emotional response the game should invoke.

Not saying it should, and I did acknowledge it's shit. But the job of a story is to invoke something, positive or negative, at least that's how I feel.

If nothing else '06 is the worst because it's actively terrible rather than just weak.

A weak and boring story is arguably just as bad as a terribly written one, one is just flat out unexciting and boring to watch, and the other is just terrible to watch. I don't see how one can be considered the "worse" one.

Edited by The Burning Blaziken
  • Thumbs Up 1

Perhaps "exciting" is the wrong word "Shit is actually happening" is what I was going more for.
Well yes, "shit" is certainly what happened. But I would prefer what happens to not be shit.

Not saying it should, and I did acknowledge it's shit. But the job of a story is to invoke something, positive or negative, at least that's how I feel.
Okay? I'm not really going to disagree with that. But '06 didn't invoke any of the emotions it was intended to invoke; that's why it's such crap.

A weak and boring story is arguably just as bad as a terribly written one, one is just flat out unexciting and boring to watch, and the other is just terrible to watch. I don't see how one can be considered the "worse" one.
One actively causes pain, one is just uninteresting. They both waste your time, but one kicks you in the junk as it does so. I think it's pretty obvious that one is worse than the other.

One actively causes pain, one is just uninteresting. They both waste your time, but one kicks you in the junk as it does so. I think it's pretty obvious that one is worse than the other.

Well hey, I like my stories to be exciting just as much as I want them to be interesting, and both of them suck on each account. I mean, I personally prefer Colors myself, but storywise they both fail to me.

Edited by The Burning Blaziken

I kind of understand what Blaziken is saying. I remember sitting through an entire playthrough of this game on Youtube in one sitting just to find out how the story progresses because it is full of suspenseful moments, has lots of scenes where the characters interact with each other and plenty of good old DRAMA! The scenes where Shadow kicks Silver, when Silver is about to kill Sonic but Amy throws herself between them the death of Sonic and when Shadow drops his arm rings and skates through Mephiles' clone army are examples of such uber-dramatic moments. Now I admit that I would never re-watch any cut-scene ever again because I realize now that they are mostly painful and cringe-worthy but I did feel some sort of excitement the first time I watched the game being played and it held my curiosity enough to watch right to the end. If Sonic '06 was made into a novelization it would be classed as a page turner just like the DaVinci code, remember that book? A book that was almost universally panned in the literary circles but keeps you reading to the bitter end because of its ridiculous plot twists. Something like Generations on the other hand I could not give a fuck about because it is totally bare bones and I would go as far as to say I prefer '06 style amateur dramatics. Luckily Gens was a good game so it is easy to forgive that shortcoming.

Edited by LvL100Magikarp