Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Like? I mean there's a lot of exposition, but there's not a lot of any actual events going on after the opening and up until Eggmanland.

I'll wait until Unleashed experts Nepenthe and Vertekins to post cause they play the game a whole lot more then I do and can break it down way better then I'll ever will. :D

I'll wait until Unleashed experts Nepenthe and Vertekins to post cause they play the game a whole lot more then I do and can break it down way better then I'll ever will. biggrin.png

If I recall, even Nephetene admitted that the story doesn't really capitalize on it's plot points, and the action between the first few parts of the game, and the ending with Eggmanland are lacking incredibly, and that the Werehog was mostly a wasted plot potential. I mean yeah, it does a lot of world building, but that doesn't really mean anything if it doesn't affect the plot at all.

Unleashed had a lot of the problems Colors and Generations did with it's plot, although it salvaged some, if not most of it.

The symbolism and the themes the Werehog represented were very interesting but they didn't delve deeper than a few mentions of it, which is a shame. There is also the fact that we didn't get to see how much the Werehog actually affected Sonic in certain aspects, I mean most people welcomed him with open arms, worst case scenario was they'd be mildly surprised, and that was it.

And then there is the supporting cast, Tails actually does something in that he's Sonic's only way of safely traveling the fractured planet, but we don't get to actually see him do much. Amy kind of helped push some symbolism with the Werehog, but c'mon! She's a hot-blooded girl with a gigantic hammer that could rival the Werehog's brute strength, she could have done a little more.

Professor Pickle was charming, despite his slightly less showing role, he did help the group gather information on Dark Gaia and how to fix the planet, however.

Chip was alongside Sonic the whole way through, so I'd say he's more of a Main Role.

The atmosphere and world building in Unleashed is spectacular, but the actual plot doesn't really try to stay on top of this and use it to it's advantage. I got that feeling from the music, the actual aesthetics of each place, and the feel they gave. Not the plot, really.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that someone could possibly find 06's storyline better than Colors' in any way, shape or form makes me sick in so, so many ways. I'm sorry, but really now.

• Thumbs Up 7

The symbolism and the themes the Werehog represented were very interesting

What? symbolism? I'm a Kubrick fanboy and even i cannot understand what you're talking about.

Edited by pppp

The fact that someone could possibly find 06's storyline better than Colors' in any way, shape or form makes me sick in so, so many ways. I'm sorry, but really now.

I agree.

How dare he have an opinion.

What? symbolism? I'm a Kubrick fanboy and even i cannot understand what you're talking about.

The Werehog is basically Sonic directly infected with Dark Gaia's energy.

The symbolism comes from the fact that despite that, he is still him inside, he hasn't changed at all, whereas anyone else affected by it started acting kooky and insane. it shows Sonic's strong will.

Although it isn't shown much, the scene with Amy shows the inner conflicts the Werehog DOES give him and how he feels about it, like how he didn't want Amy to see him like he was.

*sighs* Are we really going through this again? If you like Sonic 06's storyline better then good for you. It's like people can't defend Sonic 06 on it's own without talking down on Sonic's other titles. It's pretty annoying.

Edited by sonfan1984

The very fact we're comparing SONIC 2006's story to Sonic Colors' story makes me want a new game to talk about even more.

Seriously guys? *points to sig*

Edited by -The Joker-

The very fact we're comparing SONIC 2006's story to Sonic Colors' story makes me want a new game to talk about even more.

Seriously peeps? *points to sig*

Agreed. We need a good all-round story like SA2.

Both Colours and Sonic 06's stories have their moments, but aren't as good as they could have been.

Edited by NightwingFox

I agree.

How dare he have a completely false opinion?

Funny how things like movies, music, and especially games work. People can actually have viewpoints.

You know, when you say somebody is wrong about a certain game, all you're doing is making yourself look like a gigantic asshole. I know it is impossible to deny that 06 is a glitchy, broken, unfinished mess, but as long as you enjoyed it, its a good damn game. well thats just me anyway

Edited by Enderwoman
  • Thumbs Up 2

Funny how things like movies, music, and especially games work. People can actually have viewpoints.

You know, when you say somebody is wrong about a certain game, all you're doing is making yourself look like a gigantic asshole. I know it is impossible to deny that 06 is a glitchy, broken, unfinished mess, but as long as you enjoyed it, its a good damn game. well thats just me anyway

This isn't a debate about the quality of the game overall so much as of its storyline.

Saying 06's storyline is better than Colors' is basically a blatant logical fallacy.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a true testament to the badness of 06's story when the very writers responsible for it were allegedly fired.

Warren and Graff have written for two Sonic games in a row and they're still around, continuing to bring their uniquely vibrant flavor to the series.

What does that tell you?

• Thumbs Up 5

Unlike '06, Colours...

- Doesn't shit all over Sonic and delegate him to being a buttmonkey and the plot's bitch.

- Actually makes Eggman....Eggman.

- Isn't riddled with plotholes.

- Has a tone that isn't pretentious.

- Has no single character that completely unreasonably hogs or steals spotlight.

- Has cutscenes that are actually fun to watch.

Colours wins.

Hey, 06 cutscenes are very fun to watch, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

• Thumbs Up 8

Warren and Graff have written for two Sonic games in a row and they're still around, continuing to bring their uniquely vibrant flavor to the series.

Eh...their writing is better, but I'm still not feeling the awesome that other people apparently feel. Maybe it's because the recent games feel so restrictive and constrained in the story department?

This isn't a debate about the quality of the game overall so much as of its storyline.

Saying 06's storyline is better than Colors' is basically a blatant logical fallacy.

Oh...well I don't really pay attention to these topics...sooo

Sonic Colour's story was basically just "Oh noes, Eggs Man is doin' somethin, go stahp him" Most of the time it was forced jokes and what I thought was funny the first time around, I now think is a very thick layer of crap. They also had this really big opportunity with the mind control ray thing, but Eggman only used it once. At least in 06 the threat was fully realized...

Oh...well I don't really pay attention to these topics...sooo

Sonic Colour's story was basically just "Oh noes, Eggs Man is doin' somethin, go stahp him" Most of the time it was forced jokes and what I thought was funny the first time around, I now think is a very thick layer of crap. They also had this really big opportunity with the mind control ray thing, but Eggman only used it once. At least in 06 the threat was fully realized...

To be fair, Colors's story was aimed more at the younger crowd.

That doesn't mean they HAD to make it a complete joke, but I understand why they did it.

I agree.

How dare he have a completely false opinion?

Sorry, but an opinion cannot be 'false'.

o·pin·ion/əˈpinyən/

Noun:

• A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I prefer Sonic Colours story over Sonic 06's story too, but it's just plain disrespectful to call someone's opinion 'false'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Colour's story was basically just "Oh noes, Eggs Man is doin' somethin, go stahp him"

Stopping Eggman doing evil things is still better then Sonic having to save princess Elise god knows how many times in his story.

Edited by sonfan1984