Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Sorry, but an opinion cannot be 'false'.

It can be false if it's based on false information about a given subject.

• Thumbs Up 4

Okay you guys, get this. This is the only Sonic 2006 topic allowed on the forums. Now imagine what would happen if it got locked. You'd be banned from talking about this game, essentially. Do you want that?

So if you don't want it, stop acting like god damn vultures. If this continues then I'm thinking about issuing a temporary lock, which will happen again the more times you guys do this.

• Thumbs Up 7

Like I said, I prefer Colours story over 06's story too.

But am I really the only one who finds it wrong to call someone's opinion false, dumb and sick?

Edit: Didn't see Sean's post.

Edited by -L-

so um anyways

I don't really understand why people think Mephiles Melphil Melbrooks that not-Shadow guy is one of the saving graces of the game. At best his plans sound befitting of a Dominic Deegan villain, and at worst he is an active opponent of them. His very appearance marks him as a clone of a character who is himself often accused of being a clone of the main character. His personality never extends beyond "generic, vague evilness;" he's not even fun about it like good ol' Egghead. Why do they love this character?

Edited by The Fifth-Rate Flareon
  • Thumbs Up 3

so um anyways

I don't really understand why people think Mephiles Melphil Melbrooks that not-Shadow guy is one of the saving graces of the game. At best his plans sound befitting of a Dominic Deegan villain, and at worst he is an active opponent of them. His very appearance marks him as a clone of a character who is himself often accused of being a clone of the main character. His personality never extends beyond "generic, vague evilness;" he's not even fun about it like good ol' Egghead. Why do they love this character?

Because he's better characterised than every other character. Sad isn't it?

Because in a game of dull surprise and plain bad performances, we have a character voiced by DAN GREEN who is hammy as hell. Even his Knuckles voice in this game isn't as hammy (aside from SONIC! I'M... COMING). It makes it seem comparatively more entertaining.

I also kind of liked the idea of him trying to tempt Shadow even if it was pointless. Really pointless.

I mean it's still bad, but it's a different kind of bad.

Edited by Semi-colon e

So... Mephiles can travel through time at will. His ultimate goal is to join up with Iblis and for some reason he can only do that at the specific moment when Iblis is unleashed.

I'll accept that. It's ridiculous, but I can accept the rules of the story just fine.

Here's my question: Why didn't Mephiles just time travel to when Elise died aboard the Egg Carrier and join with Iblis right then? He didn't need to manipulate Silver, he didn't need to kill Sonic, he didn't need to tempt Shadow, he didn't even need to go looking for Chaos Emeralds since he was able to use the Emerald he had from the start to summon the other six at the end. Why did Mephiles need to do ANYTHING in the game?

• Thumbs Up 1

So... Mephiles can travel through time at will. His ultimate goal is to join up with Iblis and for some reason he can only do that at the specific moment when Iblis is unleashed.

I'll accept that. It's ridiculous, but I can accept the rules of the story just fine.

Here's my question: Why didn't Mephiles just time travel to when Elise died aboard the Egg Carrier and join with Iblis right then? He didn't need to manipulate Silver, he didn't need to kill Sonic, he didn't need to tempt Shadow, he didn't even need to go looking for Chaos Emeralds since he was able to use the Emerald he had from the start to summon the other six at the end. Why did Mephiles need to do ANYTHING in the game?

Convoluted = Ingenious apparently in his mind.

Convoluted = Ingenious apparently in his mind.

Now I'm picturing Mephiles with his pinkie finger on his lip Dr. Evil-style.

Even though his plan was retarded, I still think Mephiles looks and sounds badass. I actually would like to see him return somehow. Maybe not in the Main story but Somehow in a game.

Gotta feel sorry for Knuckles. Every scene he's in he wanders around aimlessly, effortlessly chipping in now and again with no idea what's going on. His facial expression, body language and tone of voice pretty much point towards someone who's a bit dazed and drained. Poor bastard. He does nothing of note and has no memorable lines. It's almost like he's aware of the mess he's in... :(

• Thumbs Up 6

Gotta feel sorry for Knuckles. Every scene he's in he wanders around aimlessly, effortlessly chipping in now and again with no idea what's going on. His facial expression, body language and tone of voice pretty much point towards someone who's a bit dazed and drained. Poor bastard. He does nothing of note and has no memorable lines. It's almost like he's aware of the mess he's in... sad.png

I dunno about you, but I found Knuckles randomly kicking a rock in Crisis City to be somewhat entertaining.

Ah, jolly good to see Mephiles being dissected for the idiot he truly is.

"Intelligent manipulator" my derriere. He's more scatterbrained than Black Doom, and he at least had the excuse of coming off as a control freak.

Maybe Mephiles is so EVIL he wants a challenge and wants to try and fuck everyone up for kicks. That's my take on it. It's the classic "why don't you just shoot him" thing - it would be no "fun" and there would be no "plot".

Not that this makes it any less retarded, though.

Also yeah, Knuckles got the worst treatment in this game aside from Sonic himself. Even OMEGA is more relevant to the overall plot than Knuckles is. Aside from getting one Chaos Emerald in End of the World (in the shortest section, no less!), Knuckles does NOTHING.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Metal Sonic was in one line of text on the disk and he was still more important than poor Knuckles.

Maybe it's for the best, though. I'm sure Knuckles was just there to collect his paycheck and get back to his kids, unlike the rest of the cast, who was somewhat devoted to the story. Like da Joka said, he probably knew it was going to be a flop and just said "Eh, whatever." Then he stuck to every wall in the world, the end.

Actually, that's a pretty hilarious thought; Knuckles just didn't have the self-esteem to jump off of the walls since his career had been firing head-first down the shitter since 2003...

That's a better story than Sonic '06's right there anyway... happy.png

So what would you say was worse, 06's plot or Generations'? I know a few people whom swear that there were more plotholes in Generations and that 06 had a better drive or sense of urgency.

So what would you say was worse, 06's plot or Generations'? I know a few people whom swear that there were more plot-holes in Generations and that 06 had a better drive or sense of urgency.

Honestly, to me they are both subpar, but for different reasons.

In the case of 06, Sonic was a Pinball Protagonist; he had no purpose for being in the game other than to be the scapegoat of an overly convoluted plan, be killed by an anti-climactic cheap-shot, and to be rezzed by a Princess with a poorly written and very one sided relationship with him via lip connection rituals...while he is half-dead.

Shadow was easily the most important character in terms of story, but truthfully he was kinda boring.

Silver... I'm sorry, but while I don't think he is a bad character, and I do think that he could be an interesting addition to the cast, the writing/narrative (Extra Credits influenced here) made him POSSIBLY THE DUMBEST GUY IN THE WORLD. Look Silver, I know you were desperate, and your world was in the middle of Armageddon, but come on man! Use some common sense here! If a sinister and evil looking guy without a mouth showed up and said that he could help you change the past, why would you trust him? And more importantly, why didn't you question him about his motives and pressure him more? If he had the power to go back in time and he claims he wants to help, why doesn't he just do it himself?

And Mephiles! Your plot is overly complicated and plain stupid. If you really wanted to reunite with Iblis, just go back in time and nuke Elise's carrot legged ass. It might not make you look super intelligent, but it at least makes you look competent.

AS FOR GENERATIONS...

Meh.

Generations could have been interesting. We have most of the Sonic cast, a plot involving time travel that could have been like a walk down memory lane, with references and such, and Classic Sonic could have provided an interesting foil to Modern Sonic.

Instead, most of those side characters do absolutely nothing (which is one of the problems 06 had interestingly enough), the story dropped off a cliff around Speed Highway, and Classic Sonic felt utterly pointless as a character due to his lack of visible interaction with ANYONE. Seriously, other than the Beginning and the Ending, does Classic Sonic ever actually interact in a interesting way, ignoring those one line conversations with the freed side characters? IMO, you could remove him from the game completely and the story would not be any different.

TL;DR version: 06 was made overly convoluted in an attempt to look deep and smart, and only resulted in it looking stupid. Generations had the potential to be awesome, but it's potential was squandered due to fear of public backlash and lackluster character interactions.

There is no winner in this bout IMO.

Edited by Enigmanator
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'd like to see a port of the game in which the glitches, gameplay issues, and loading times are fixed.

For example, I'd like to see the rainbow gem (in-game Super forms) put in the port, along with the Speed Chip (both were supposed to be in the game) that makes Silver faster. Also, I;d like to see them fix Sonic's gems to the point that they are actually useful (i.e, green and blue gems).

If that happened, I would be able to ignore the story problems, plotholes, and time paradoxes and just play the game. I don't really care about the poor graphics, either. As long as the game is fun, I'll play it.

In conclusion, if they fixed Sonic 06', it would probably be my favorite Sonic game.

Clement's torturefest continues.

Hey, what if Silver was voiced by Clement?

http://youtu.be/i7JYekhF5WM

Okay, sorry for the self-plug but I really like the review so far. It's funny and entertaining but he gets his points across really well. I just want to know how long this is gonna go on. I just hope that he goes back to Let's Looks and Let's Plays by the end of the year.

I love Clement's review of the game, since he's basically doing to it what RedLetterMedia did to the Star Wars prequels. That is to say, the review to end all reviews, explaining absolutely everything about why it's shite other than the parts everyone talks about and leaving it at that.

So yeah, those few commenters that complain about it being too long are missing the point. If he kept it to a minimum, it'd be just like all the other Sonic 06 reviews out there. As he said in Part 4, this is pretty much therapy for him.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think that it's great that Clement is doing his 06 review this long. Every part of this game needs to be discussed. There are to many flaws in this game, and many reviews, while they do give you the basic idea of how bad the game is, skip over a lot of the other details. Clement's review isn't showing any mercy. He's showing you just how bad this game is from top to bottom. All the bullshit is being covered here.

I'm looking forward for the next part.