Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I actually only played 06 recently, and I can say it's not very good.

I really haven't run into too many glitches. Definitely not enough to make the game "unplayable" as so many people claimed. And the controls, while not the best, I felt served their purpose well enough. Except the shitty ass boarding in White Acropolis that's prevented me from making any progress.

The levels themselves I can kind of enjoy. Kind of. From what I played, they were basically Sonic Adventure on roids. They were kinda bland, but not horrible. It's just really standard early-mid 2000s Sonic fare, which isn't bad, but just kind of boring with nothing to really distinguish it from Sonic Adventure. Definitely not Sonic's best, but I can get some fun out of it.

Or at least I would be able to if I had more patience.

The infamous loading screens just kill the game for me. If it was just level, loading screen, level, it'd be tolerable. But it's loading screen, talk to person in hub world, loading screen, person explains bullshit mission to you, loading screen, play bullshit mission that's not particularly fun, loading screen, run to level, loading screen, play level, loading screens in level, etc, and I just don't have the patience for it.

I can kinda have fun with the levels, but not enough to have the patience to go through the crap surrounding them.

Edited by Chili Dawg

Loved? no, not really...liked the game and played a couple of times? Yes!

I liked the game very much and i still do. Even though i recognise that it's a bad game i liked the music, the level design, the graphics were beautiful and i feel sorry that we didn't get a great game because Sonic 06 had a lot of potential!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sigh.

There are so, SO many things about Sonic 2006 that I should hate. Sonic's story admittedly pretty much consists of tossing Elise back and forth with Eggman. Elise is really the only character he interacts with. There is very little of that cocky energy Sonic almost always has. Shadow and Silver set up the main plot more than the 'main character' of the game does. The gameplay sucks. Sonic gets 'killed' in five seconds flat. The kiss at the end... while I didn't find it revolting like so many others, it was completely unnecessary.

Yet I can't quite bring myself to dislike it, even though there are so many things I'd expect myself to dislike. I enjoyed it thoroughly the first time, and enjoyed it thoroughly the last time I played it a few months ago.

No idea why anymore. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Sorry, but..no. This game was just horrible for me. Undoubtedly the worst Sonic game I've ever played, as much as I hate to admit it. The story was confusing and pointless, especially the ending. The controls were awful and completely frustrating. The gameplay itself with the characters was just unbearable. I had to force myself through the game to finish it. That's the first time I've ever had to really slave myself through a Sonic game as far as I can remember.

But, I will give it the plus of having great music and beautiful, smooth CG cutscenes that were very well animated.

I can say with 100% certainty that Sonic 2006 is the worst game I have ever played, or at the very least my most hated. Absolutely nothing about it worked. The controls were terrible, it was glitchy as hell, the story felt like a horrible fanfic complete with Mary Sue insertion characters and writing so awful that a 2nd Grade English teacher would give it an F. The loading times were long and frequent, amd it is stuffed to the brim with bad gimmicks and piss-poor level design.

The only time I ever felt like I was having any fun was during Blaze's sections. They still weren't good, but they more closely resembled a good Sonic game than any other sections. The FMV sequences were also pretty, but I hated the graphics style of this game. I have nothing against human characters in a Sonic game, but keep them looking cartoonish like in Sonic Unleashed. Hyper-realistc looking people do not mix with cartoony anthropomorphic animals.

I mean god, I'm a defender of the Sonic franchise and even *I* hate this game.

Edited by Speederino

I've never played the game, but I have watch the cutscenes on Youtube, and storywise I like Shadow's story, and I like Mephiles. But Sonic and Silver's stories are not that interesting. I still don't get what Robotnik's plan is(he wants the flames of Iblis to build a time machine. I think) and Iblis is a boring monster. And the story as a whole makes no sense since Mephiles could have just fused with the Iblis in Silver's timeline. And I hate how this game messes up Blaze's story.

I would really like to play the game through again somehow in Japanese with english subs because I have VERY sensetive ears when it comes to voice acting and I feel like if I played it with the good japanese cast I would be able to be non biased against it and Id probably like it a little more.

The only time I ever felt like I was having any fun was during Blaze's sections. They still weren't good, but they more closely resembled a good Sonic game than any other sections.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only time I ever felt like I was having any fun was during Blaze's sections. They still weren't good, but they more closely resembled a good Sonic game than any other sections. The FMV sequences were also pretty, but I hated the graphics style of this game. I have nothing against human characters in a Sonic game, but keep them looking cartoonish like in Sonic Unleashed. Hyper-realistc looking people do not mix with cartoony anthropomorphic animals.

I mean god, I'm a defender of the Sonic franchise and even *I* hate this game.

Humans in Unleashed looked like shit. I'm a big naysayer against realism in Sonic games but the one part where I think it is good is in the humans (besides Eggman). Give me the Adventures "anime-esque" humans or 06's realistic humans any day over Unleashed's crappy pixar looking humans.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

If you didn't wanna get into an argument why post then?

I don't ignore facts. Facts are truth, not opinion. You can't state opinions and claim them as truth.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Not exactly what I'm getting at:

Fact: Sonic is a cartoon.

Opinion. Sonic looks better with realistic humans.

I get that.

Here's what I'm referring to:

Sonic Unleashed has stupid realism, I wish the games were more surreal like the Genesis days.

Sonic Unleashed had stupid cartoon humans, I wish the humans were more realistic like the Adventure days.

This makes no sense.

Just putting the flame out before it gets started.

Aw heck, what can I say, I'm a glutton for debates. :D

Realistic humans in unrealistic looking enviroments isn't an odd concept though. I'm sure there are many examples of what I am trying to say but it is late so I will go with the one off the top of my head: Final Fantasy. Unrealistic worlds/locations - realistic looking humans (sure the clothes aren't but well I'm fine with odd clothes or realistic clothes or.....no clothes ;) ) My point is it is not a foreign concept and I don't see why me liking one in the realms of realistic and the other not is a strange concept, or one to make the argument that I "don't use logic or listen to facts".

Fact is Sonic came out in an era where Eggman was the only human and all we ever saw was unrealistic creatures and zones. I grew up liking that, that is my concept of how Sonic's world is. Fast forward to later on and they've gone and added humans into the mix, not my cup of tea but I can deal, I just think they look better as actual humans (which Adventure series and '06 did well) however the games just look stupid and childish in my opinion when they make the humans these overexaggerated cartoonish pixar look-a-likes.

Make any sense to you? Sonic to me has a style to him and his world, said humans fit in that world but only realistically, I dunno maybe I relate better to them if they actually appear human (not trying to be Chris Throndyke or anything :lol: ) but they just give off a cheesy not at all Sonic feel when they are as ugly as they are in Unleashed.

EDIT: Using FF was probably not my best option as I've played all of....maybe 1 game, but to further my point.....pretty sure there's one of em where a "cartoonish" anthropomorphised cat is part of the cast with perfectly normal (besides the clothes) looking humans, set on unrealistic places......seems to all work fine to me.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I liked this game. When you forget about the glitches it's actually a fun experience.

Except Tails.

God, I hate him so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Make any sense to you?

Kind of... sorta.

I still can't understand why you can accept Dr. Eggman as a balloon with legs and not accept other characters with similar features. It clashes horribly. And then you go around saying that the fantastical environments in the games are more fitting.

The problem is that the Adventure games' levels were all fairly "realistic," in particular places like City Escape (based off of San Fransisco) and Pyramid Cave (based off of Egypt) to name a couple. Sonic Adventure's Emerald Coast is just like any other beach, and Speed Highway is essentially New York City at night.

Then you go ahead to say that Unleashed is the one with crappy realism, when in reality it's no different than the Adventure games. These levels each had their own crazy quirk to remind you that this wasn't the real world, and I think they did an even better job at attaining a level of "surrealism" than the Adventure games ever did. Though we're getting into opinions at this point, and we both know that can get messy.

I'm still trying to understand your thought process behind this. It looks incredibly contradictory and doesn't help your argument unless you can explain it well. I mean, if you think this way, that's fine I guess... but understand that there are legitimate flaws in the arguments you put forward because of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

I liked this game. When you forget about the glitches it's actually a fun experience.

Except Tails.

God, I hate him so much.

Tails was by far the most annoying amigo to play as. What was with those ring bomb things? Just made me wanna play as him with some flying and a few tail attack moves <_<

Tails was by far the most annoying amigo to play as. What was with those ring bomb things? Just made me wanna play as him with some flying and a few tail attack moves <_<

Not to mention how slooooowwwwwww he was. I mean, dang. He makes Big the Cat look like a speed demon!

Spongebob_squarepants.jpg

Ever since I was little I've always found the idea of unrealistic characters in a realistic world very intriguing.

So erm, Unleashed humans for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention how slooooowwwwwww he was. I mean, dang. He makes Big the Cat look like a speed demon!

He flied pretty fast tough./lol06excuse

Edited by ChikaBoing

He flied pretty fast tough.

At the expense of precision and consistency.

Kind of... sorta.

I still can't understand why you can accept Dr. Eggman as a balloon with legs and not accept other characters with similar features. It clashes horribly. And then you go around saying that the fantastical environments in the games are more fitting.

The problem is that the Adventure games' levels were all fairly "realistic," in particular places like City Escape (based off of San Fransisco) and Pyramid Cave (based off of Egypt) to name a couple. Sonic Adventure's Emerald Coast is just like any other beach, and Speed Highway is essentially New York City at night.

Then you go ahead to say that Unleashed is the one with crappy realism, when in reality it's no different than the Adventure games. These levels each had their own crazy quirk to remind you that this wasn't the real world, and I think they did an even better job at attaining a level of "surrealism" than the Adventure games ever did. Though we're getting into opinions at this point, and we both know that can get messy.

I'm still trying to understand your thought process behind this. It looks incredibly contradictory and doesn't help your argument unless you can explain it well. I mean, if you think this way, that's fine I guess... but understand that there are legitimate flaws in the arguments you put forward because of this.

Simply put he was like how he is originally.

Robotnik can keep his outlandish design because....well it's iconic. Much for the same reason I don't like every other character and their dog (oh lets not get into any Pluto/Goofy arguments :lol: ) has a super form that is a rip off of Sonic's. What I mean is Eggman is a weird looking guy, and I like that that is unique to him. Circa Adventure era games when the humans entered and they had their own style but seeing as they are pretty much throw away NPC background filler I like that they are "normal" or at least anime-esque.

Sure we did see a decent amount of Maria and Gerald, but for the most part I like their inclusions as humans with a relatively realistic approach, and Gerald looking a little odd (well only the moustache) is natural him being the Grandpappy of old Eggy.

So lets just say I got used to humans being how they were in the games, but also dislike the thought of making Eggman less unique by making every other "Professor Pickle" just as weird looking as he, it just isn't right. Eggman loses some of his coolness when other humans get the weird-looking treatment.

Conversely I HATED the realistic-ing of Eggman in the '06 game, having him appear a twisted odd weird of a guy just seems so right in a series where he is the twisted and evil badguy, making him more human like was......a bad move I think.

The other humans? I had no problems with them (except Sonicman, man o man do I hate that annoying guy, but for unrelated reasons to the disscussion in place)

I don't really see the realism issue in Adventure, but then again I have never been to the States. I don't really see them as realistic though. It's not like SA or SA2 was screaming out look at me! I'm San Fransico! They merely had a level that was steep and had a prison island located nearby. However Unleashed has you tarvel the globe to get to these places that all have people, places, things, flags, food, cultures and levels that highly look like the real world with minimal things in place to act as surrealism at all.

I mean when has Alcatraz had a giant forest located next to it with huge ass trees and vines and loops? Plus all in the vicinity of just that bay area there's a desert, a giant canyon, a pumpkin valley, a naval base, I mean I know you and people have called it silly of me, but I really do think distance is a factor too.

I can see a world as being interesting having all these weird locations all close by, like Angel Island or previously mentioned SA2 type bay, however to ge the same-ish experience in Unleashed we had to travel the globe? Eh doesn't seem as cool to me.

At least with the Adventure games you could justify Sonic meeting humans for the first time and them having a few cities in this new unexplored area that co-exists with the areas he's visited in his previous classic games. Unleashed has you trot the globe as though this is some rebooted world that can't incorporate the previous history at all.

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Thumbs Up 2

Lacking the combined budget and interest at the time, I never had the chance to play it myself.

From what I saw in walkthroughs, there were some mature and interesting concepts woven in the story; whether it is right to kill someone, what it actually means to be a good friend, and what being obligated to repress trauma over time does to you.

Of course the story telling never lives up to these ideas and just about everything reflects what a frantic rush job looks like from level design right down to the texture mapping.

Raises some interesting questions though.

Is it better for something to be overdramatic and dumb or predictable and safe?

• Thumbs Up 1

Besides the music, I did enjoy Sonic, Silver and Blaze's gameplay to some extent. Other than that I despised every other aspect of the game.

• 4 weeks later...

i actually liked 06 to a certain point, but that "end of the world" stage dump where you got to get the emeralds was a major off put before the final battle =/