Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I find it pretty annoying when you ask someone "Why do you like 06", and they respond with something silly like "It had some entertainment value", or "I didn't think it was that bad". You're missing the point of the question.

WHY did you like it/enjoy it? What about the game made it fun to you. Why did you think some of its unquestionable mistakes were forgivable etc. I don't like 06 and I can give numerous reasons why I dislike it, so why can't people give actual reasons for why they do like it. Fuck, even nostalgia is a valid answer....

• Thumbs Up 3

I found the combat genuinely fun with upgraded Silver. Every single enemy has a vulnerable point as part of its AI that lends itself towards Silver's ability to grab them, and when you have the shockwave stomp ability it's fun to grab minor enemies to use them as projectiles against larger foes.

Using the Slow Time gem with Sonic was fun for me because it let me pretend I was so fast everything else was in slow-motion compared, which is something I want to be part of the gameplay when you're a super-speedster.

Now somebody who likes the whole game can type what they like about it. Please. Like Scar, I'm honestly really interested in hearing.

See, Silver had potential to be hilarious, unfortunately, you had to do stupid pointless shit in many levels to get to the end. I get the feeling that if Sucker Punch made Silver's gameplay, it probably would have been brilliant.

I found the combat genuinely fun with upgraded Silver. Every single enemy has a vulnerable point as part of its AI that lends itself towards Silver's ability to grab them, and when you have the shockwave stomp ability it's fun to grab minor enemies to use them as projectiles against larger foes.

Using the Slow Time gem with Sonic was fun for me because it let me pretend I was so fast everything else was in slow-motion compared, which is something I want to be part of the gameplay when you're a super-speedster.

Now somebody who likes the whole game can type what they like about it. Please. Like Scar, I'm honestly really interested in hearing.

So far, any person I asked that question to could never answer correctly. Or they just call me a "hater"... -__-

Edited by AfroWarrior

I'd say it was less of it trying to be dark, but it trying to be too dark. It's not like Shadow cracking a joke about crack babies and train crashes once-dark, but super serious romance and super-serious tone and super-serious-only-not-really bad guy ect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Anyone else agree that the game's dark tone was one of the factors in why it failed?

It's poor handling of the dark tone is a factor, yes.

• Thumbs Up 7

Anyone else agree that the game's dark tone was one of the factors in why it failed?

I somewhat agree.

While I prefer lighter Sonic games, there's no reason darker ones can't work too. Sonic 06's take on a darker Sonic game however, is terrible. It was terribly executed.

Ninja'd

Edited by Stritix
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like the game because it had an amazing soundtrack, something I think we can all agree on. 

It was the Sonic game that made me such a hardcore fan of the series (10+ years)

- Although I became just a casual fan in '03, I finally grew to the series and in '06, became obsessed.

I understand that the story could be a bit confusing, and has a few plot holes, but I think the main reason I like the story in Sonic '06 is because it was a more serious type of story, I actually really like those. Sure you can throw in a few non-serious ones at times, but I like a good serious one every once in a blue moon.

There were some holes in a few levels, like Wave Ocean for example, but I've learned to actually overcome these obstacles and make the level fun and very enjoyable! 

I guess one of the main reasons I love Wave Ocean is because of "The Inlet", the Mach Speed section. I know, it's kind of confusing, and nearly impossible control. But, I've played it so many times, I can pretty much 9/10 play the level without dying. 

*Here's a fact, this isn't my favorite Sonic Game. Mine would have to be Adventure, probably. This game is in my Top 10 though.

Also, Kingdom Valley was my absolute favorite level in the game (with Sonic). It looked way cooler in the Alpha when it could go through a day cycle. I would have loved to seen it in clear day and night time. But, there was always a part in the level I could never get across. Thanks to the broken Purple Gem, I can now get across this part with no effort at all. 

I liked Knuckles in this game, you hardly get to play as him, but I thought he was cool. Knux was always one of my favorite Sonic Characters. I know he was obviously broken in the game, but all I really needed from him was the punching and the gliding. None of the insane screwball attacks.

The other characters were good. Silver's totally took some getting used to though, especially on the Desert Level (the end) x_x

I was pretty disappointed in Shadow's design, however. I was so excited when I finally got the last Memory Shard, and could use Chaos Blast. Terrible. Need I say more?

Really, I can't think of anything else at the time that I liked about the game, maybe more later?

***By the way, I read most of the posts that quoted my little speech thing. I just wanted to apologize if I kind of angered anyone, I'm not here to make enemies, but hopefully more friends. I completely understand that you guys have the same amount of right as I do when it comes to bashing/bragging about Sonic '06. But, after those few things I said about liking it, I'm not sure if I'll be able to say anything good about it again. Also, I'm currently in the middle of watching the Clement Review of Sonic '06, so I'm sure I'll be back to bash on Sonic '06 in the near future. Sorry again if I made you guys mad.

As CSS said, the poor handling of the dark tone is what ultimately made it fail in that department. But if I'm totally honest, a tone that's that dark is something I wouldn't ever like in a Sonic game regardless of how well it's done (I have some issues with SA2 even). Going that dark stifles a lot of what the series is known for and what I look to it for. So it sits in a middle ground where they could have pulled it off well, but it would never have been quite right.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 7

I already know why most Sonic fans don't like the game and I agree, but it doesn't change the fact I think Sonic 06 is not bad game. Sonic 06 has some entertaining value for me though.

Same here. I had a mate over and we had a blast playing it...not in the same way as playing Gunstar Heroes, but still.

I'm just going to go out and say I enjoy playing bad games, sometimes more then good ones. For this reason I find Sonic 06' tolerable.

Thanks... you just completely vindicated my point.

Nobody ever says why they like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the game because it had an amazing soundtrack, something I think we can all agree on. 

It was the Sonic game that made me such a hardcore fan of the series (10+ years)

- Although I became just a casual fan in '03, I finally grew to the series and in '06, became obsessed.

I understand that the story could be a bit confusing, and has a few plot holes, but I think the main reason I like the story in Sonic '06 is because it was a more serious type of story, I actually really like those. Sure you can throw in a few non-serious ones at times, but I like a good serious one every once in a blue moon.

There were some holes in a few levels, like Wave Ocean for example, but I've learned to actually overcome these obstacles and make the level fun and very enjoyable! 

I guess one of the main reasons I love Wave Ocean is because of "The Inlet", the Mach Speed section. I know, it's kind of confusing, and nearly impossible control. But, I've played it so many times, I can pretty much 9/10 play the level without dying. 

*Here's a fact, this isn't my favorite Sonic Game. Mine would have to be Adventure, probably. This game is in my Top 10 though.

Also, Kingdom Valley was my absolute favorite level in the game (with Sonic). It looked way cooler in the Alpha when it could go through a day cycle. I would have loved to seen it in clear day and night time. But, there was always a part in the level I could never get across. Thanks to the broken Purple Gem, I can now get across this part with no effort at all. 

I liked Knuckles in this game, you hardly get to play as him, but I thought he was cool. Knux was always one of my favorite Sonic Characters. I know he was obviously broken in the game, but all I really needed from him was the punching and the gliding. None of the insane screwball attacks.

The other characters were good. Silver's totally took some getting used to though, especially on the Desert Level (the end) x_x

I was pretty disappointed in Shadow's design, however. I was so excited when I finally got the last Memory Shard, and could use Chaos Blast. Terrible. Need I say more?

Really, I can't think of anything else at the time that I liked about the game, maybe more later?

***By the way, I read most of the posts that quoted my little speech thing. I just wanted to apologize if I kind of angered anyone, I'm not here to make enemies, but hopefully more friends. I completely understand that you guys have the same amount of right as I do when it comes to bashing/bragging about Sonic '06. But, after those few things I said about liking it, I'm not sure if I'll be able to say anything good about it again. Also, I'm currently in the middle of watching the Clement Review of Sonic '06, so I'm sure I'll be back to bash on Sonic '06 in the near future. Sorry again if I made you guys mad.

I gather that you find the game aesthetically pleasing and that you've practiced it enough to cirumvent the design shortcomings.

I'm okay with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

*slowly looks left and right*

Why?

I don't mean this in a nasty way but... why? Why do people actually like this game?

Well, I'm not the best-of people to answer this, but I'll try.

I get satsifaction out of Sonic '06. Just not the type of enjoyment the developers orginally entended.

Let me try to explain... Instead of it being "Woo, I beat the stage, Yay.", it's "HELL-YEAH! I BEAT THAT CRAPPY STAGE! EVEN THOUGH THE DESIGN WAS STUPID AND IT HAD A BLOODY MACH SPEED SECTION! UP YOURS, GAME! HA HA HA!"

I've tried to work out why I like '06 before, and really, I guess it all boils down to this: CHALLENGE.

That... rush you get when you beat the "unbeatable". That feeling when you acchieve what seems "impossible", despite the rising odds, despite the flaws, glitches and what-ever other bad ideas get thrown at you. You don't just play the stages, you have to master them.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot, remembering a really crap game with rose-tinted specticles. I haven't played it for almost a year since my sister's xbox broke... I get this horrible feeling when I next play it I'll fail horribly...

They should make a T-shirt that says: "I completed Sonic 06 and all I got was that crappy ending"...

Problem with that is that the game wasn't designed to give that reaction. The likes of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts N' Goblins deliberately design themselves to be as hard as fuck. '06 doesn't, and the challenge comes from terrible design, not overcoming obstacles that were deliberately left there to be challenging.

Problem with that is that the game wasn't designed to give that reaction. The likes of Castlevania, Ninja Gaiden or Ghosts N' Goblins deliberately design themselves to be as hard as fuck. '06 doesn't, and the challenge comes from terrible design, not overcoming obstacles that were deliberately left there to be challenging.

Exactly. Which is one of the reasons it sucks people hated it. It's not something you can easily pick up and play, it's broken, flawed and, in most respects, downright stupid, and the dev team certainly weren't aiming for that.

I'm not saying I play it because it's intentionally a challenge, I'm saying I play it for the challenge that comes from playing a really crap game, or a game I wouldn't normally enjoy.

Edited by Paradise

I'm not fond of the game but personally there's bits and pieces here and there where I am like "that was a cool idea" or "that was novel" or more often "almost fun, so close but the controls/glitches ruin it", but overall it's not enough. I am talking things like Radical Train's train chasing gimmick, Crisis City as a whole (thank you Generations!), Kingdom Valley's first section with a shortcut involving you jump on an eagle, Dusty Desert's open endedness as Sonic with the beautiful sunset sky, End of the World's ominous colour change as a tension building setpiece (fuck the time dimensions though), and the concept of Aquatic Base as a whole.

Sadly, it's just extremely minor little things that really don't make this game even passable, and for every good idea there's about five bad ones, but there you go.

Edited by Semi-colon e

If there's anything I personally liked about Sonic 06 is that it gave us a lot of good base mechanics that we could have made some use of.

For example, Shadow played so differently from Sonic in that game that he doesn't need to be a clone. Sonic had the spin-dash, Shadow had this...kick thing.  Sonic had a homing attack chain, Shadow could do either that or an attack combo, and then Shadow had additional moves like Chaos Spear and (the shitty) Chaos Blast while Sonic had his bounce attack. Was somewhat of a nice start as far as differing gameplay went from the base.

But considering how rushed the game was as a whole, not all of that could be consider good as others ended up suffering as a result. Tails being capable of nothing but dropping bombs and flying, Amy's invisibility making it hard to see where she was positioned as you tried to control her, etc. etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

For example, Shadow played so differently from Sonic in that game that he doesn't need to be a clone. Sonic had the spin-dash, Shadow had this...kick thing.  Sonic had a homing attack chain, Shadow could do either that or an attack combo, and then Shadow had additional moves like Chaos Spear and (the shitty) Chaos Blast while Sonic had his bounce attack. Was somewhat of a nice start as far as differing gameplay went from the base.

This shall always remain the silver lining of Sonic's worse off titles. Sonic Team's always been willing to experiment, to try and give us something new. They gave us a perspective on alternative gameplay styles that, with some polish, could work very well in the newer titles; we'd maintain the sense of speed yet have considerable variety that separate the characters.

It's better to try and fail than fail to try.

Eh...okay?

Well then.

Debates in this thread are so repetitious, aren't they?

"This is a good game"

"No, it's not a good game you can't say that that's wrong and dumb here's reasons X, Y and Z"

"But it's my opinion"

"If you like the game it's fine but you can't say it's good cuz that's wrong"

"If I enjoyed it it's good"

"No that's not true here's reasons X, Y and Z"

Lather, rinse, repeat, ad nauseum.

So...why do we even bother anymore? Is that the entire purpose of this topic? To beat the last remaining defenders of this game into submission? Why do we care anymore? Why does anyone care anymore? Are they actually hurting anyone by having a "wrong" opinion? Why is the collective opinion of Sonic 06 still relevant?

But then I think...perhaps it's because the reasoning of the 06 defenders (when they're not outright lying, at least) is so...confusing...

See, here's one thing I really don't get: can you really say anything - not just a game's story, but anything about it - is good based on what it tried to do alone? How is a serious storyline in a Sonic game inherently enjoyable, and if you want to see a serious storyline in a Sonic game arguably done well...why not just play Sonic Adventure 2? It's every bit as dark and serious, but it has the benefit of having no significant plot holes (or, at least, much less blatant ones), characterization that is far more consistent with the rest of the series, and, for what little this is saying, much better voice acting.

It's the same reasoning used by everyone who defends the story: "Yes, it had plot holes and this and that, etc., but it was SERIOUS BUSINESS, therefore it was cool."

It...how?

Is the level somehow inherently fun and enjoyable when you take out the "holes"? What about the level design do you enjoy so much? Because I can't see much to enjoy, what with the overuse of dull, rehashed scripted events, the utter lack of any sort of interesting platforming, and of course...

...Well, all right, then. But just because you're good at it, does that make it somehow fun to play? What's fun about it? Can you really say this section is genuinely good when you yourself admit that it controls horribly?

What made Kingdom Valley fun? Is it a well-designed level or not, and if so, how? Was your need of the Purple Gem a result of your own lack of skill, or bad design? Can you really say it's honestly a good thing that the Purple Gem is, as you have once again stated yourself, broken?

You say you enjoy playing as Knuckles because...he's Knuckles, even in spite of the fact that - and again, you admit this - he's completely broken. No offense, but...isn't that pretty fanboyish and even childish reasoning? "X character played like crap, but he was still X character and did things that X character does, so I liked him."

What made the other characters good?

Dude, seriously.

We don't want you to just list off things you enjoyed. We want to know why you enjoyed them.

But, after those few things I said about liking it, I'm not sure if I'll be able to say anything good about it again. Also, I'm currently in the middle of watching the Clement Review of Sonic '06, so I'm sure I'll be back to bash on Sonic '06 in the near future. Sorry again if I made you guys mad.

I'm not quite sure if anyone here is honestly dead set on ruining your enjoyment of the game, but we do think that if you're going to present your opinion, you should be able to back it up logically. As repetitive as it's gotten to say, it's really true: if you enjoy playing the game, that's one thing, but if you want to tell us that it's somehow genuinely good, that's another entirely. Give a base to your opinions, and then we can respect them.

Ah, Sonic 06. I love that game not for its quality but for the many laughs it has provided me with. Now who doesn't like playing a hilarious game while listening to a great soundtrack? I simultaneously wish the game never existed and am glad it exists. So many memories. The Silver boss fight, stick to the terrain 'physics', "DON'T TOUCH IT", Shadow kicking Silver, Sonic getting owned repeatedly, the list goes on. I'm not ashamed to say I play a couple of stages every now and then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, Sonic 06. I love that game not for its quality but for the many laughs it has provided me with. Now who doesn't like playing a hilarious game while listening to a great soundtrack? I simultaneously wish the game never existed and am glad it exists. So many memories. The Silver boss fight, stick to the terrain 'physics', "DON'T TOUCH IT", Shadow kicking Silver, Sonic getting owned repeatedly, the list goes on. I'm not ashamed to say I play a couple of stages every now and then.

Well...I'll give you that. I did think this game was one big joke.tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

But then I think...perhaps it's because the reasoning of the 06 defenders (when they're not outright lying, at least) is so...confusing...

See, here's one thing I really don't get: can you really say anything - not just a game's story, but anything about it - is good based on what it tried to do alone? How is a serious storyline in a Sonic game inherently enjoyable, and if you want to see a serious storyline in a Sonic game arguably done well...why not just play Sonic Adventure 2? It's every bit as dark and serious, but it has the benefit of having no significant plot holes (or, at least, much less blatant ones), characterization that is far more consistent with the rest of the series, and, for what little this is saying, much better voice acting.

Just got done beating SA2 again today, loved it!

Was your need of the Purple Gem a result of your own lack of skill, or bad design? Can you really say it's honestly a good thing that the Purple Gem is, as you have once again stated yourself, broken?

My need of the Purple Gem is a result from how bad the ring dash is designed. Think of it this way:

You've gone through most of the level already, have a huge score, the feeling you're going to get that long awaited S Rank. The part comes up where you MUST do a homing attack on 2 enemies, then do a ring dash. All while over a gap where which, if you miss, you'll die and lose your high score. You already know how bad the Ring Dash system is in the game, so, would you risk it? I wouldn't. I know no matter how hard I'd try, I couldn't make the dash. So, I'd just do that endless jump to the next platform. Easily done less than 5 seconds. Easy right? Then just switch back to Sonic's normal shoes and you're good. 

Also, I find this trick with the Purple Gem handy when doing the Very Hard Mode version of Aquatic Base. The ball part. 

You say you enjoy playing as Knuckles because...he's Knuckles, even in spite of the fact that - and again, you admit this - he's completely broken. No offense, but...isn't that pretty fanboyish and even childish reasoning? "X character played like crap, but he was still X character and did things that X character does, so I liked him."

As weird as it may sound, I guess it is kind of a fanboyish thing. I think Knuckles is great, along with Sonic and the others. No matter how bad the game may be, or how bad the characters are designed, I'll love the game because it's a Sonic Game. No ifs, ands, or buts. 

We don't want you to just list off things you enjoyed. We want to know why you enjoyed them.

I'm not quite sure if anyone here is honestly dead set on ruining your enjoyment of the game, but we do think that if you're going to present your opinion, you should be able to back it up logically. As repetitive as it's gotten to say, it's really true: if you enjoy playing the game, that's one thing, but if you want to tell us that it's somehow genuinely good, that's another entirely. Give a base to your opinions, and then we can respect them.

Okay, well I honestly just don't think I'm that good at explaining things like other people do. I'm not good at arguing or anything, really. I just state my opinions, and if I can, I'll try and back them up, if I can't, I'll just move on. I'd like to be better at explaining and such, but it's just no use. 

Just got done beating SA2 again today, loved it!

uh ok good for you but what does that have to do with-

My need of the Purple Gem is a result from how bad the ring dash is designed. Think of it this way:

You've gone through most of the level already, have a huge score, the feeling you're going to get that long awaited S Rank. The part comes up where you MUST do a homing attack on 2 enemies, then do a ring dash. All while over a gap where which, if you miss, you'll die and lose your high score. You already know how bad the Ring Dash system is in the game, so, would you risk it? I wouldn't. I know no matter how hard I'd try, I couldn't make the dash. So, I'd just do that endless jump to the next platform. Easily done less than 5 seconds. Easy right? Then just switch back to Sonic's normal shoes and you're good. 

Also, I find this trick with the Purple Gem handy when doing the Very Hard Mode version of Aquatic Base. The ball part. 

okay fine but this doesn't really help your case so-

As weird as it may sound, I guess it is kind of a fanboyish thing. I think Knuckles is great, along with Sonic and the others. No matter how bad the game may be, or how bad the characters are designed, I'll love the game because it's a Sonic Game. No ifs, ands, or buts. 

...Okay, I give up.

Okay, well I honestly just don't think I'm that good at explaining things like other people do. I'm not good at arguing or anything, really. I just state my opinions, and if I can, I'll try and back them up, if I can't, I'll just move on. I'd like to be better at explaining and such, but it's just no use. 

Fair enough, I guess.

Wait a minute.

I'd like to be better at explaining and such, but it's just no use.

it's just no use

...I am fighting every urge I have right now not to say it...

ah screw it

mettleplstoos.jpg

aaaahhh text color

Edited by Eh Ok Fine It's T-Man
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is one of the few things I enjoy about the game. I've got a mate who comes over to play games sometimes and 06' is like our default game when we just want to screw around and have fun. Many laughs have been had by us over that game.

Sure it's bad, but every time we play something new happens and sometimes it's things so ridiculous they're just "WTF?" moments.

I'd never claim it's a good game, but it's more or less a joke to us at this point which has made it amusing.

Get some vodka and have some fun, it's about all the game is good for.

Edited by SkyLlama
  • Thumbs Up 1