Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Sonic 06

The game that just keeps on giving 

WHAT

This is almost as good as the rock that Shadow slide kicks and gets shot off into space from!

Oh my, that's hilarious. 1 second in game time takes at least 6 seconds real time from all that slow down.

I don't think that's slowdown so much as the fact the player has the Red Gem equipped, which happens to slow down time. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if that's how the glitch triggered to start with, though fucked if I know how you'd replicate that exactly.

The red gem doesn't slow down time as much as that. Watch how the timer starts moving a lot slower after Sonic has died and more spark effects keep being generated in one spot. That's what's causing the slow down. 

Edited by Blue Blood

I still think it would have been bad. The Silver gameplay doesn't look too different so I still think we would have got the ball puzzle.

Also, "That Road May Be Able To Destroy." What's that supposed to mean?

While buzzing around the interwebz, I discovered this:

From the Desk of Takashi Iizuka,

I have been working with the designers on the next Sonic game for the past few months. We have not come up with a concrete idea but I have a feeling we have been holding back. We need to consider all possibilities for the next Sonic game. We should cater to the fans we have, not the ones we don’t.

We have conducted a few polls on Sonic fan sites for opinions on the direction Sonic should be headed towards. An overwhelming majority want a sequel to the critically panned Sonic the Hedgehog game released in 2006. They believe that today’s Sonic Team can tackle the gameplay and story successfully.

Here are some of the suggestions that fans have recommended:
Love triangle between Sonic, Elise and Amy
Revive Mephiles and further his backstory
Introduce a rival to Silver a la Sonic and Shadow
Bring back Blaze the Cat
Good physics engine

Although we may not like the prospect of continuing a story that should not have been created, we need to think about the longevity of the Sonic series.

If you have any suggestions, please send me an e-mail.
- Takashi Iizuka

http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=172

What do you guys make of this? Thoughts?

While buzzing around the interwebz, I discovered this:

From the Desk of Takashi Iizuka,

I have been working with the designers on the next Sonic game for the past few months. We have not come up with a concrete idea but I have a feeling we have been holding back. We need to consider all possibilities for the next Sonic game. We should cater to the fans we have, not the ones we don’t.

We have conducted a few polls on Sonic fan sites for opinions on the direction Sonic should be headed towards. An overwhelming majority want a sequel to the critically panned Sonic the Hedgehog game released in 2006. They believe that today’s Sonic Team can tackle the gameplay and story successfully.

Here are some of the suggestions that fans have recommended:

Love triangle between Sonic, Elise and Amy

Revive Mephiles and further his backstory

Introduce a rival to Silver a la Sonic and Shadow

Bring back Blaze the Cat

Good physics engine

Although we may not like the prospect of continuing a story that should not have been created, we need to think about the longevity of the Sonic series.

If you have any suggestions, please send me an e-mail.

- Takashi Iizuka

http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=172

What do you guys make of this? Thoughts?

Even if I believed this, I'd never believe that an overwhelming majority of the Sonic fandom could ever agree on anything.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even if I believed this, I'd never believe that an overwhelming majority of the Sonic fandom could ever agree on anything.

I doubt that a majority of the fandom want a remake to Sonic 06.  Honestly, I thinks Sonic Team's efforts should be focused on a new game entirely than a remake that wouldn't even be that much better than the original.

I disagree with the fact that everyone nearly thinks Sonic 06 is terrible, glitchy and quite silly. I do not think that this was the case. I did not have any problems with the loading times at all. Understandably it is quite a large game, on a console that is basically a computer in itself, and remember Sonic Adventure's loading screens every time you went to different parts of the hub worlds?

I didn't complain. 

I never found or ran into any glitches in the game, I have no idea what people talk about when they mention the term 'glitches' regarding a Sonic game.

One of my friends thinks that Sonic Colours is glitchy when you plug it into the  Nintendo Wii controller, and he uses the Gamecube one for it. I never have this feeling and it seems to me people have just a different feel to these kinds of controls, it has - in my personal experience - nothing to do with glitches.

Shadow wasn't a problem for me because again - nothing was a glitch (Though I accidentally did slip off the walls once or twice during  wall jump that was my fault because I got too excited while playing).

I remember my friends saying Sonic Riders Zero Gravity on the Wii Mote is awfully confusing and i use the Gamecube controller instead boo hoo hoo. I tried this and found the Gamecube controller a complete blister. The controls were slow to respond and it wasn't as fun as using the Wii Remote and I loved using it better than the Gamecube controller for this game. That means I have a different feel to the Nintendo Gamecube Controller as my other friends don't.

That is all. 

Probably something you don't wanna admit around these parts.

Also, this game...understand this, this "game" pretty much destroyed all the respect Sonic had earned throughout the years. Since Sonic 1, to Sonic Adventure 2. All the respect he had earned was completely wiped out. This game was a joke, a complete mess. When I was like 12, I liked the game. I thought it was an awesome game, but I didn't know what a "good" game was back then, I wasn't the gamer/Sonic fan I am now. It was disgraceful to the Sonic Franchise. 

Here's something I figured out that was probably really obvious. 

SEGA knew that this game was going to turn out the way it did, a complete mess. They didn't think they'd have enough time to patch in the many many many many holes that were in it, they'd have to make a sacrifice that nearly wiped out Sonic all together. At the end of the story, when Elise blows out the flames of Solaris and none of the game actually happens, I believe that's SEGA telling us that they're sorry and wish the game had never happened. They put that part in the game to erase the mess they had created, that's what I believe.

Edited by OmegaXCL
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's something I figured out that was probably really obvious. 

SEGA knew that this game was going to turn out the way it did, a complete mess. They didn't think they'd have enough time to patch in the many many many many holes that were in it, they'd have to make a sacrifice that nearly wiped out Sonic all together. At the end of the story, when Elise blows out the flames of Solaris and none of the game actually happens, I believe that's SEGA telling us that they're sorry and wish the game had never happened. They put that part in the game to erase the mess they had created, that's what I believe.

If that's what you believe, I would suggest you stop deluding yourself.

The script, CG work and voice acting will date far, far further back than a time when SEGA would have been able to rewrite the game to erase itself from the timeline if they felt it wasn't going to be very good. And there's frankly no way in hell that a company would do that anyway. Common sense will dictate that just fine. What kind of a business practice is it to doubt your product and tell customers you don't think it's very good, especially when it's new? Of course they knew the game was rubbish, but that wouldn't change a thing. They still had to get the product out there on time and make it as best they could rather than waste time putting in a damning apology.

The point of that ending in '06 is that it's supposed to a sad ending to a series of tragic events. In actuality it's just a load of shit written by really amateur writers. 

• Thumbs Up 2

What are peoples thoughts on the Mach Speed parts? Like most of '06, they were awfully buggy, controlled horribly and just damn frustrating to play, but I think I like the concept.

I'm more of a fan of the Adventure style of fast(ish) 3D platforming, and if a game had that style for regular levels, and Mach Speed parts which were akin to Modern 3D gameplay with Boost level speeds without needing to hold a button down, and a slightly higher and further back camera for better viewing of upcoming enemies, traps and obstacles, I think I'd probably rather enjoy it.

I liked the concept of going really fast over extremely long distances, so I'm glad Unleashed did that far better than 06.

I didn't like auto-running in 06 and I didn't like it in Sonic and the Secret Rings.

The mach speed stages were terrible, they force you to run forward at high speeds whether you want to or not and they kill you if you don't do the exact right thing. Sonic can go plenty fast on his own, he doesn't need some separate gimmicky forced-running section.

• Thumbs Up 1

The mach speed stages were terrible, they force you to run forward at high speeds whether you want to or not and they kill you if you don't do the exact right thing. Sonic can go plenty fast on his own, he doesn't need some separate gimmicky forced-running section.

Not in this game he doesn't.

Rephrase.  Sonic should be able to go fast on his own.

Terrible by execution, but not necessarily by concept. I don't see anything wrong that them as a short (EDIT:and occasional) diversions from the standard gameplay. They have all the potential to be very fun, almost as an extension of the S2 special stage in style. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic should be able to go fast on his own.

Sonic can go plenty fast on his own, he doesn't need some separate gimmicky forced-running section.

What they said. dry.png

Terrible by execution, but not necessarily by concept. I don't see anything wrong that them as a short (EDIT:and occasional) diversions from the standard gameplay. They have all the potential to be very fun, almost as an extension of the S2 special stage in style. 

If it's for a special stage or something, maybe, and doesn't involve getting hurt every time you brush up against something or dying if you happen to twitch slightly in the wrong direction.

If it's for a special stage or something, maybe, and doesn't involve getting hurt every time you brush up against something or dying if you happen to twitch slightly in the wrong direction.

Which is why I said the execution was terrible. It's like SEGA did everything in their power to make them suck.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about slower gameplay, like adventure I guess (but with better physics) but some levels have "boost sections" where it goes to Unleashed/Colours/Gens gameplay, maybe a checkpoint or something (i imagine thr tranaition to be as smooth as it is when going into 2D sections.) you have the same button configuration for the main controls but you gain the boost for those sections and maybe sonic's top speed could increase slightly? You'd still have full control (ala could stop if you wanted) but could run faster, obviously the game would have to give you a reason to. For example Wave Ocean where you are chasing the Egg carrier but using the above gameplay?

I'd really rather not shift into a different kind of Sonic gameplay just to move a bit faster. Sonic's controls and abilities should be robust enough to handle any situation he's going to be put through, without having to add or remove moves or change stats on the fly. And if they come up with something his controls can't handle, either tweak the overall controls so he can, or don't put it in the game.

You know, this game wasn't as good as it could have been because of it's fans before it came out. People were rushing for it to come out and they realeased an earlier version of it. The demo version of it was better than the final version, and Sonic '06 could've been really good, that game needs to be redone.