Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

No it doesn't, it's a shit game willingly released by idiots and it'd be shitty no matter how long they worked on it. '06 caused nothing but suffering for everyone involved, let it fucking die.

• Thumbs Up 7

You know, this game wasn't as good as it could have been because of it's fans before it came out. People were rushing for it to come out and they realeased an earlier version of it. The demo version of it was better than the final version, and Sonic '06 could've been really good, that game needs to be redone.

hahaha...

no.mellow.png

You know, this game wasn't as good as it could have been because of it's fans before it came out. People were rushing for it to come out and they realeased an earlier version of it. The demo version of it was better than the final version, and Sonic '06 could've been really good, that game needs to be redone.

No, it doesn't. Any attempts at remaking it would be essentially dead on arrival just by its association with the original universally-panned game. In other words, it would be a pointless waste of time that is certainly better spent making an original game that would actually have a chance at getting a good reception.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't like auto-running in 06 and I didn't like it in Sonic and the Secret Rings.

You could stop in the Secret Rings. 

Why doesn't it stop.

Why doesn't it ever, ever stop.

I'm sorry, I have nothing against you personally, but...poor, misguided souls say this crap all the freaking time, and no matter how much it's said, it never once becomes even remotely true. You're basically telling a lie and propagating ignorance just as an excuse to defend a game that cannot through any logical means be defended. It's not flawed because LOLGLITCHES, it's flawed because its fundamental design is horrendous.

Why is it so hard for people to see. Why do people still try to apologize for this trainwreck, long after the damage has been done and nobody should actually care. I try my damnedest to defend Metroid: Other M - a game many people could logically explain to you is objectively indefensible in every sense of the word - because quite frankly I legitimately disagree and I think it gets more hate than it deserves. Also, nothing has served to curb it, such as a set of more or less stellar games, for example. It's fairly recent. And hey, people think I'm a complete fricking moron for that (or at the very least have no taste or judgement whatsoever), but at least I try to present my arguments in a convincing manner. I don't go around spreading lies about its development or say that "if so-and-so didn't do such-and-such, Adam wouldn't have been a douche and Samus wouldn't have been a poor fragile little flower and it would have been the best game EVAR"

But Sonic 06 isn't even remotely relevant anymore - you're pretty much just inviting backlash with your misinformation and poorly-supported opinions. Why bother?

• Thumbs Up 9

It also helps that Other M was nowhere near as bad as 06. At least it was presented well and wasn't a broken glitchy mess to play, and that all of it's problems are in it's design and story. 06 has a shit ton of problems in design and story, with glitches and horrendous loading screens on top of that.

Besides I thought the game being released early "because of demanding fans" is a load of nonsense anyway?

I'm sorry to inform you that people hated this game not only because of the glitches...

Some parts of the story itself, the characters ruined, the annoying human Elise.

I mean, most people can stand a flaw or too, but a game that is covered with flaws, a re-release won't really help.

Edited by Mysterious X

I'll give you points for satire if you watched Clement's savage deconstruction/review of Sonic 06 and derived that post from the sketch he does mid-way through where he jokingly suggests that exactly what you typed was the reason for the game's shortcomings.

Wasn't the game released in alpha form because Microsoft was threatening to sue for a Christmas release? Also, weren't they trying to work the kinks and glitches out of a unstable beta build so that it would stop crashing?

Wasn't the game released in alpha form because Microsoft was threatening to sue for a Christmas release? Also, weren't they trying to work the kinks and glitches out of a unstable beta build so that it would stop crashing?

I'm surprised people still believe this about Sonic 06 as if that is A] actually true and B] would have actually been a better game considering that it was still a mess even if you look past the glitches.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm surprised people still believe this about Sonic 06 as if that is A] actually true and B] would have actually been a better game considering that it was still a mess even if you look past the glitches.

Well the working the kinks and bugs out of a beta build is most likely true because the previews/demos of the game handle better than the actual released game(Faster Sonic, better animations, Homing Attack with gravity, Gem bar working for sonic, etc...)

That still would have kept the Amigo characters as a watered down remnant of Heroes along with being forced to play as them, bad level design, the Mach stages still flinging you to your death if you make a small screw up or error in jumping, and don't get anyone start of that lame mess of a story it had.

• Thumbs Up 1

That still would have kept the Amigo characters as a watered down remnant of Heroes along with being forced to play as them, bad level design, the Mach stages still flinging you to your death if you make a small screw up or error in jumping, and don't get anyone start of that lame mess of a story it had.

Welp, we don't know how it could have been if it was in development for another year or two. It could have been Sonic Adventure 3, Sonic Heroes 2, or even Sonic the Hedgehog as you truly imagined it. Truth is now its a bad game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well the working the kinks and bugs out of a beta build is most likely true because the previews/demos of the game handle better than the actual released game(Faster Sonic, better animations, Homing Attack with gravity, Gem bar working for sonic, etc...)

Faster Sonic: It was clearly a conscious decision to slow Sonic down to reduce glitches. In the 360 demo, you would regularly clip through walls just by running at them. Heck, performing a spindash against a wall would guarantee you went through it.

Better animations: Not sure why they changed this. Chances are they didn't work correctly or otherwise weren't finished in the early builds so they removed them from the final. Such isn't uncommon practice. 

Homing attack with gravity: They seemed to change this one intentionally. Shadow has gravity, as does Sonic when using the Grey Gem. 

Gem bar working for Sonic: It still works in the final, but it's set to start full and never deplete. Why? It's anyone's guess, but from the looks of it was for testing purposes and considering the rush job that the game clearly was they didn't bother changing the settings back to normal.

Etc: No. It was a bad game. We got the final build (as evidenced by the contents of the game vs the pre-releases) and it was clearly just unfinished. What is set up to work in demos isn't reflective of what's actually complete and finalised for the entire game.

The game was unfinished, but not so much that it'd radically change if they had been given more time. They wouldn't rewrite the story, animate new cutscenes, rerender new prerendered cutscenes, compose new music, redo the art style, redesign entire levels, etc etc etc. They'd polish out a few bugs, finish a few features that ended up getting cut, but otherwise it'd still be the same trash.

• Thumbs Up 8

I reckon that if they'd have released the Beta version, we all would have thought that the final product looks better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I reckon that if they'd have released the Beta version, we all would have thought that the final product looks better.

But the final product is an beta though.

Nope, it's an unfinished final, not "an beta" like Blue Blood said.

If Sonic 06 had been finished and polished to the point where mach speed sections worked like boosting in Unleashed, Sonic's jump damaged enemies and had proper physics, the load times were minimal, several nonsensical cutscenes were rewritten, and dozens upon dozens of other shortcomings were fixed...

...then it would've sucked, because that would have meant the series continued down the "super-realistic" track with uncanny-looking Eggman, plots and NPCs better suited to Final Fantasy, and painfully pretentious storytelling.

The cartoony poke-fun-at-self lighthearted direction of Unleashed, Colors and Generations is far more to my liking.

And it's for that reason I'm rather glad '06 bombed. Though, I can't imagine that the realism, designs and tones would have been well received even if the game was otherwise a triumph.

Not exactly...

Microsoft had nothing to do with this game. Around the time they were working with Microsoft to make Gears of War... which is an X-Box 360 Exclusive. Sonic 06 is not, so I doubt they would sue the people making a game for trying to delay it, that's pretty illogical. But around February, 2007 when the PS3 Version came out, there was an interview for Kikizo magazine, where the old Sonic Team producer Yojiro Ogawa was asked to comment on the game's problems and whatnot. He said:

"The reason why we probably ended up with what we see today, involves a lot of reasons. One is that we did want to launch the title around Christmas, and we had the PS3 launch coming up, but we had to develop for Microsoft's 360 at the same time and the team had an awful lot of pressure on them. It was very hard for the team to try and see how we were going to come out with both versions together with just the one team. It was a big challenge."

So it wasn't really Microsoft or Sony or the fans, it was just Sonic Team. They had a lot of pressure on them, Yuji Naka left during development and Sonic Team had to develop for 2 different consoles. 1 being the PS3, which was an incredibly difficult console to develop games for back then. They also didn't have time to fix a lot of things or completely overhaul it.

Edited by AfroWarrior

The cartoony poke-fun-at-self lighthearted direction of Unleashed, Colors and Generations is far more to my liking.

Sorry but i must say it.

Kill yourself together with atomic-fatty humans from Sonic Unleashed.

In Sonic 06 they don't look like soulless Pixar characters. They are don't scare players their appearance.

Sonic never was a "cartoony" product for mentally retarded children.

As well as Final Fantasy, Sonic is Japanese product too. He is not worse than that FF series. Except for the nasty games in recent years like as Colors or Generations.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry but i must say it.

Kill yourself together with atomic-fatty humans from Sonic Unleashed.

In Sonic 06 they don't look like soulless Pixar characters. They are don't scare players their appearance.

Sonic never was a "cartoony" product for mentally retarded children.

As well as Final Fantasy, Sonic is Japanese product too. He is not worse than that FF series. Except for the nasty games in recent years like as Colors or Generations.

Wow, that's excessive. 06's humans DO look very uncanny valleyish. People were more comfortable with Unleashed's because of how they are cartoony and don't clash as much.

And Sonic has always been cartoony, and while he's Japanese he was always designed with a Western appeal in mind.

But seriously, can people not defend this game without bashing Colours and Generations? Is there an unwritten rule here? Am I missing something?

• Thumbs Up 3

But seriously, can people not defend this game without bashing Colours and Generations? Is there an unwritten rule here? Am I missing something?

It would be possible if people didn't compare them themselves with each other.

Edited by Mefiresu
  • Thumbs Up 1