Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Something else to be noted, I love how people treat the term "Adult" as if it was some sign of greatness and high esteem instead of a restriction for what is and isn't appropriate for a certain audience. It's like watching something made for adults makes you feel like an adult.

Well here's a reality check: that's not how it works.

I don't think any adult that is registered on a Sonic forum debating how bad or good a Sonic game is would say otherwise lol

You know, if there's something that I'm not digging at all throughout the course of this thread (and threads like it) so far, it's the defensive arguments made for this game. Specifically, how the defenders apparently can't help but make a pointless dig against the Modern Era titles for whatever reason. 

Can someone please make an argument for the game without resorting to such pointless counter-bashing?

• Thumbs Up 3

Graphics? Ha. It is even better than the same Sonic Generations whit texures size less than 256х256.

Sonic Colours show how have fun in the space park. No empathy for Whisp.

Sonic Generations contain how eat chilidog through space and time.

Nonsense, friend. Must check eyes, how does screen-full of mud look better Sonic Generations.

Sonic Adventure show how have fun with Chao. Cute Chao were hurt. Empathy for Chao. Chao are hurt by Echidnas. Echidnas gone.

Sonic Colours even worse. Empathy for Wisp, Wisp are adorable and are captured by Eggman. Eggman nearly kill them all. Sonic try to stop him. Fails. Only win by pure luck. Darker story.

Eating chilidog through space and time is hard. Makes quelch. Dark story, dark result in toilet.

Dark story is not better, by the way. Enough dark story in outside world and serious games. Why dark story in blue cartoon hedgehog? You want dark story in your cartoons? Nu Pogodi is no fun if about Wolf raping Hare.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can someone please make an argument for the game without resorting to such pointless counter-bashing?

Nope. It's simply not possible. '06 is indefensible.

Nope. It's simply not possible. '06 is indefensible.

Actually, I can.

As far as the three playable characters went, it actually did an excellent job (and I use that very loosely) in separating Sonic and Shadow's movesets. There's all but a few moves of Shadow's that are the same as Sonic's, but he's become much less of a Sonic clone than in the past.

That's just one off the top of my head. The rest I have to actually think about, which says a lot about how badly this game was developed.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

....Are you trying to say Shadow the Hedgehog looks better than Sonic Generations?

Sonic-Generations-GameSpot-Screenshot-2.

shadowhedgehog_19314.jpg

yeah no

It's so honestly compare two different engine and two different console.

Then why you compare two different engine and two different console. I say Shadow look bad. You say Generations look bad. Now you say we compare can't? Cowardice, comrade.

• Thumbs Up 5

No it isn't, it's all about art direction.

Sonic Generations recreates the stages that defined the series in exquisite and loyal detail and is faithful to the brightness of the series in general. There's a lot of vibrant colour and the characters gel extremely well with the surroundings.

Shadow the Hedgehog tries dark and gritty to suit it's tone which is inappropriate for the franchise. The characters don't meld with the environments and said environments are ugly as sin. The exact same thing can be said for '06.

Edited by Vertekins
  • Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, you can't make a comparison of a game then call out how different the graphics engines are between the same game when someone calls you on it. That's just straight up hypocrisy.

Then why you compare two different engine and two different console. I say Shadow look bad. You say Generations look bad. Now you say we compare can't? Cowardice, comrade.

I'm not comrade for you and stupid jokes are inappropriate. I don't say what Shadow look bad. Game just dark. Or you wanna say what S2k6 and SG use different engines?

Edited by Mefiresu

Well you were the one who started the comparison.

Also this discussion is getting ridiculous, just try to explain why you think the game is good using your own words. And stop using other games to defend this one. Tell how this game stands up on it's own. Or this is never going to stop, but don't forget that even if it's your opinion it can still be criticized. 

Edited by redhellc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not comrade for you and stupid jokes are inappropriate. I don't say what Shadow look bad. Game just dark. Or you wanna say what S2k6 and SG use different engines?

You don't say Shadow look bad, I did. And then you say Generations look bad, remember? Just a few posts back. And yes, I wanna say S2k6 and SG use different engines, because they do. I am not certain of how that relates.

Going back to 06 being good because of it being adult (which is ridiculous anyway)... most of the other Sonic games kept the more, *ahem* "adult" elements/art direction/etc relatively... well maybe subtle isn't the right word to use, but they weren't completely in your face. You had Bad Futures in CD, but you also had the Good Futures. You had Gamma's story and the echidnas getting themselves killed in Adventure 1, but it still felt fairly Sonicy overall. You had a forest fire at the very beginning of S3&K, but you still had Knuckles laughing like a moron. You had potential alien genocide in Colours, but you also had all the PAs. Even Adventure 2, a game that I'm not so keen on, even that contrasted Gerald's revenge and Shadow's backstory with King Boom Boo and Robotnik scratching his arse.

The point is, most of the other Sonic games felt like a Sonic game in terms of setting and direction. 06 is one of the few that does not. 06, in my eyes, feels like Final Fantasy with Sonic characters thrown into it. The only thing it has going for it is that Final Fantasy doesn't have any golden nipples.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 6

ou don't say Shadow look bad, I did. And then you say Generations look bad, remember? Just a few posts back. And yes, I wanna say S2k6 and SG use different engines, because they do. I am not certain of how that relates.

Oh, sorry! I just read Shth like S2k6. It happens. No they don't use different Sega made contract with Havok.

Oh, sorry! I just read Shth like S2k6. It happens. No they don't use different Sega made contract with Havok.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Havoc a physics engine, not a game engine in the broader seance of the term.

^ You're correct, Havok is just a physics system.  Every Sonic game has contained Havok in some form since 2006 (certainly the main ones anyway, pretty sure I always see it in the credits).  Most games with physics play do.  Even Valve's Half-Life games (and later on Portal, TF2, L4D etc), notorious for popularising physics play, use a modified version of the Havok engine.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

But Havok engine is not an graphics engine. The Hedgehog engine is, and that's the one Generations use.

No idea which graphics engine 06 uses, but I know it's not the Hedgehog engine, since it was created at the same time as Unleashed was. 

Edited by redhellc

Oh, sorry! I just read Shth like S2k6. 

So you meant that Sonic 06 looks better?

2058jump2.jpg

1280px-Sawneek_in_crisis_city_sg.jpg

...yeah, no.

• Thumbs Up 4

^ You're correct, Havok is just a physics system.  Every Sonic game has contained Havok in some form since 2006 (certainly the main ones anyway, pretty sure I always see it in the credits).  Most games with physics play do.  Even Valve's Half-Life games (and later on Portal, TF2, L4D etc), notorious for popularising physics play, use a modified version of the Havok engine.

Okey, okey. But the meaning does not change. Roots ones.

Guys, I understand your point of view, why do you like game like Colors. But I personally prefer the Adventure Series .It is a pity that the heir to the spirit of Adventure and destroyed a one good series of Adventure.

Nothing wrong with preferring the Adventure series. People lashed out, however, at you insisting Sonic 06 is a good game (being fun and being good are different things. I can have fun with things that are awful, and I admit I do), and furthermore, you trying to prove that 06 is a good game not by defending it but by attacking other games.

Nothing wrong with preferring the Adventure series. People lashed out, however, at you insisting Sonic 06 is a good game (being fun and being good are different things. I can have fun with things that are awful, and I admit I do), and furthermore, you trying to prove that 06 is a good game not by defending it but by attacking other games.

I'm still waiting for the reasons why this game is such a godsend. "It's good for my reasons" is not a rebuttal that works for me when it comes to this game.

I'm still waiting for the reasons why this game is such a godsend. "It's good for my reasons" is not a rebuttal that works for me when it comes to this game.

Is there a situation where that rebuttle works for anything?

Is there a situation where that rebuttal works for anything?

Good point. Which is why I want the reasons for this game's lovely nature to be revealed to me even harder since he claims he's the expert here and we obviously don't know enough.