Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

On the topic of Mephiles, I do like the concept of having a sinister character with evil intentions that can't be converted and tries to convert others to his cause. And I really liked is introduction in Shadow story(creepy walking animation) as well as the battle themes.

But Mephiles itself is a complete idiot and a lazy recolor. So I like the concept hate the way it was implemented.   

Mephiles probably would have been better off in Shadow the Hedgehog....

Edited by AfroWarrior
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mephiles probably would haveprobably been better off in Shadow the Hedgehog....

It would have been way better that Black Doom, that's for sure.

Well Sonic Team already showed that is not afraid of using the theme of converting good characters in bad ones(colors). So maybe someday they actually create a decent character that tries to do that, maybe even a female villain...that would be different for the series. 

Edited by redhellc

Honestly the worst claim I've seen '06 defenders make is that "It's not a bad game because the glitches aren't even that bad". First off, they kind of are, yes.

But even if the glitches weren't as bad as they are, the game is still extremely unfriendly to people playing it because of the bad design choices. It's not really the glitchiest game ever made (hell I'd say SA1 was kinda worse for glitches((oh and don't get me wrong it's in the top 50 tongue.png)), and it's the way that it was made and how the game is supposed to execute it's purposes that make it the abomination it is. I could look past the glitches in SA1 because the core game had a few great design choices (and some stinkers, but hey).

Sonic '06 starts, dumps you in a big barren hubworld and expects you to just know that you have to talk to Flailing Old Guy #517 and do some poorly programmed side mission before you actually play a level. It expects you to just know to manually save the game after the Soleanna trials (manual saving, that's the most not-Next Generation thing ever, lawl) because if you get a game over in Kingdom Valley, a long overly-clusterfucktastic and *ahaha* poorly-designed level you're gonna have to do a LOT. That ain't no glitch.

Silver's odd ability to fling you soundly into the stratosphere is a glitch, but the fact that he can grab you from any distance or speed (I tried hitting him with the Bound Bracelet AND the Red Gem activated and he still caught me >:[) with relative ease and have the ability to run beneath and catch you is a bad design choice. What happens more frequently, may I ask? Silver throwing you into space because they failed to make a part of the arena solid or Silver just being really good at killing you because they intentionally designed him that way?

The glitches are only a small part of what makes this game bad. First and foremost the game is bad because, well, they made it to be the way it is. If they'd actually finished the thing, they could've refined the execution, but I highly doubt they could've refined the ideas being completely horrible to begin with.

And for these reasons, simply saying "well I didn't encounter any glitches uh" doesn't even begin to make the game sound good or at least "bullied", 'cause ya can't deny we all ran into a lot of bad design choices when we played it, right? Hell, I can't remember the last time I played a game that hated me so fuckin' much.

Edited by King Starscream
  • Thumbs Up 4

It would have been way better that Black Doom, that's for sure.

Well Sonic Team already showed that is not afraid of using the theme of converting good characters in bad ones(colors). So maybe someday they actually create a decent character that tries to do that, maybe even a female villain...that would be different for the series

Yeah. And that's also a good point...

We've only had 1 female villain in the entire series.

Sonic '06 starts, dumps you in a big barren hubworld and expects you to just know that you have to talk to Flailing Old Guy #517 and do some poorly programmed side mission before you actually play a level. It expects you to just know to manually save the game after the Soleanna trials (manual saving, that's the most not-Next Generation thing ever, lawl) because if you get a game over in Kingdom Valley, a long overly-clusterfucktastic and *ahaha* poorly-designed level you're gonna have to do a LOT. That ain't no glitch.

The worst part about manually saving is that they don't tell you have to do it. I mean Sonic Chronicles did that to death, but this one doesn't even mention it once. So that is not just one but two bad design choices. 

Yeah. And that's also a good point...

We've only had 1 female villain in the entire series.

Well she did become good again....So there goes the only female villain the series has.

• Thumbs Up 2

While not female. And I know I go on and on about it, I am sorry for that but...Nack. Come on. Unique design. Bad guy to the core. Wont convert to the good side. Has a clumsy side and can get some humor like Eggman. Already has a bad-guy-mobile. Used guns before Shadow. Bounty Hunter. Wants all the emeralds for himself. Why isn't he being used?! The Sonic series could do with another baddie that won't turn good. A third wheel even getting in Eggmans way from time to time. I just don't see what Sonic Team has against him. And it's not some copyright rubbish that was proven wrong ages ago by PR, him and Mighty belong to Sega.

How could you say no to this kind of awesome??!!

Well it's not really the same concept, but I would not be against Nack coming back. I just don't see Sonic Team using him again.sad.png

Er...I feel a bit uneasy seeing Nack point a gun at Amy like that, for some reason...

Which is odd because Eggman did the same thing in SA2...

• Thumbs Up 1

Er...I feel a bit uneasy seeing Nack point a gun at Amy like that, for some reason...

Which is odd because Eggman did the same thing in SA2...

Probably because it's much closer to her head (pretty much pressing her forehead) and it's not drawn as cartoony/sci-fi-like as the one Eggman was holding making it seem more lethal.

...but then again, doesn't Nack use a popgun anyway? It wouldn't really hurt Amy that much. Worst case scenario, she'd blink for a few seconds and a bunch of rings would spill out. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 3

...but then again, doesn't Nack use a popgun anyway? It wouldn't really hurt Amy that much. Worst case scenario, she'd blink for a few seconds and a bunch of rings would spill out. tongue.png

Originally it was meant to be a proper gun, hence his sniper moniker. You can see evidence of that in that early screen shot of Triple Trouble where he's got a gun pointed at Sonic.

Apparently the American division didn't like that or something and insisted it was changed to a pop gun. But since Shadow has had proper guns since then I can't see why Nack couldn't have them.

• Thumbs Up 4

Can we just...y'know, get rid of the guns? I mean super futuristic unrealistic Eggman laser beam shoostin' things are okay. They're clearly the hazards of a madman - but why does Shadow (or anyone else for that matter) need a real pistol or a smg or whatever. To me it doesn't fit with the series at all. Eggman since the start of the series has concocted crazy contraptions to slow the player down - giving the characters guns to combat him (or each other) is just a bad choice for a rather kid friendly series. I feel it just tries too hard to pander to the 'mature' audience in such a way its laughable and immature. I'd rather the guns stay out thanks but that's just me.

• Thumbs Up 8

If that was higher res it's be on my background right now. As it is I really love it.

Would you like to know where I got it? It's from a deviant artists website, he/she is very talented, try's to include as many characters, classic and modern in their works. They do make stunning backgrounds. That ones called "Sunset Showdown" should be easy to google.

As ,much as I like that pic, I seriously don't like guns in this series, at least realistic ones like that. Its just unfitting for the over feeling the series evokes which is lighthearted adventurous fun. It's lik

Would you like to know where I got it? It's from a deviant artists website, he/she is very talented, try's to include as many characters, classic and modern in their works. They do make stunning backgrounds. That ones called "Sunset Showdown" should be easy to google.

I'll have to search it up. I don't normally look at art and that, but I'll have to find that person.

While not female. And I know I go on and on about it, I am sorry for that but...Nack. Come on. Unique design. Bad guy to the core. Wont convert to the good side. Has a clumsy side and can get some humor like Eggman. Already has a bad-guy-mobile. Used guns before Shadow. Bounty Hunter. Wants all the emeralds for himself. Why isn't he being used?! The Sonic series could do with another baddie that won't turn good. A third wheel even getting in Eggmans way from time to time. I just don't see what Sonic Team has against him. And it's not some copyright rubbish that was proven wrong ages ago by PR, him and Mighty belong to Sega.

How could you say no to this kind of awesome??!!

SegaSonic___Sunset_Showdown_by_Tigerfog.

This...is one of the most bad-ass things I've ever seen in my life. I just Faved it on DA. This is good enough to be a dynamic comic scene.

I'm glad so many share my opinion that its bad ass lol. I was thinking of posting it in the "other characters" thread but I'm guessing everyone on this thread prolly goes there too.

I'm not of the mind that guns should have a prominent appearance in Sonic, but Nacks had a gun since what 1994. And he's a sniper. Wouldn't hurt to have one gunslinger in the series. One that makes sense, not forced like Shadow just to make him "edgy", and didn't make sense since he already has powers and abilities.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I'm not really against guns in the franchise, actually. I wouldn't want them done the way they were in ShTH, but I don't see the problem in using them because of that one screw up. Hell Omega has chain-guns built into his arms, and the Mechs and Gamma used guns as well.

The seriousness in that image above just speaks volumes tho. Probably what the artist was going for, but that is really heavy handed imagery right there...

Right guys. I’ve had it. Why do most people that like 06 never explain why? Stuff this. I’m going to give a post about why I like it, with actual thought and analysis. A rare thing among 06 fans!

Let’s begin when I heard/ got the game. I got it in 2008. I was late, I know. During that time, everyone on the internet was bashing the game. I thought everyone must be over exaggerating it. I then studied it quite a lot until my brother got a ps3. It was the first game I got. Then I discovered, people were exaggerating. A bit.

The story was….strange. Sonic’s was kinda bland. Nothing really happens apart from rescue Elise, make googly eyes then she gets kidnapped again. Some bits I enjoyed (The Intro, Outro, Sonic on the Egg Carrier) but the rest weren’t memorable. Overly silly sometimes but not memorable. Shadows story was great. It wasn’t as in depth as his own game but was really the main juice of 06. Mephiles was an overly elaborate idiot with his plans, yes. The thing is, I liked the guy. He had presence in a scene, he sucked you in with his plan. I only began to think how it made sense afterward. The guy just whisked my mind into it.

Continuing Shadow, it shows how Shadow has developed. Mephiles tries to help him get revenge, Shadow says no. In 06 we actually see he’s moved on from his own game. Most people had moaned about that for years, now he’s done it! The world may be trying to push it back on him but he says ‘No, we did this already!’. Then we have Silver. Silver’s was ok I guess. They had to give the guy a lot of development since it was his first game. Sure Blaze was screwed up but the thing is, I don’t like Blaze. She just…has little personality to me. It’s just Shadow mixed with Knuckles. That’s it! Anyway, Silver is an idiot. But, he’s an idiot we can see why he does what he does. So we can actually feel for the guy which is more than we can do for Sonic in his story.

Next, the look. Yeah, it’s not exactly good. The thing is, it wasn’t exactly bad for a new console. 06 was a really early on game, so it didn’t look too bad for an early Ps3 game. Then you compare it to Shadow. This was a good stepping stone for them. Look at Shadow, the characters were plastic, the settings were kinda grainy. 06 comes around, Sonic looks really nice and smooth again. Sure he’s had a weird design change (I really disliked how big his hand is, he could crush Elise’s head!) but it’s a stepping stone to better things. The same goes for the setting. It was smooth, not exactly HQ but it wasn’t exactly bad. This was a good necessary step towards Unleashed’s stages.

Gameplay. It carried over from Adventure mostly so that’s a good start. I had a lot of problems with the light dash in this one. So many pitfalls! Though it differentiated Sonic and Shadow. Finally!  They improved the vehicles from Shadow (not much but hey, it’s an improvement). Silver’s throwing was quite fun now and then, maybe for like several levels. Though I see why everyone hates him (ball puzzle deserves hate) but, it’s kinda clever now and then like the see saw puzzle in Radical train. If it was implemented  better, maybe we’d have had more fun.

Let’s address the elephant in the room. The glitches. Now I once said I’d never encountered them. That was a bit of a fib. I have encountered them. Though the thing is, they never made me want to turn the game off. I’d never had a moment where I fell through the floor and thought ‘F*** this’. I just thought ‘Oh well, won’t try that again’. I understand why people would hate them. Falling through the floor is a bitch. Thing is, I must have a lot of patience cause I’d just try again. The only thing that irked me was when I’d light dash and Sonic would only jump a little but forward. That was annoying. The mach speeds? Really tough on you but hell, I’d get such a rush from getting it right. I’ve never really cared about loading times in any game so they actually didn’t affect me.

You know what I like about this game? Apart from how stupid it can be. How cinematic it is. Some of the stupid ideas (Elise never crying, Mephiles plan) just seem like more cinematic ideas. These would work in a film much better than a game. That’s why I’d think 06 would be a better film than a game. Then people wouldn’t have load times and glitches!

Let’s finish off with why it failed. Some people point at Sony & Microsoft. I disagree, they probably didn’t have much of a say on development. Heck, the PS3 version came out later, it could have been fixed. Some blame Sonic Team. This is partially true. If they’d had the guts to wait, it may have worked. Listen to your play testers, don’t fire them. My blame goes to Yuji Naka. Why? He’s one of the fathers of Sonic. The big name in the shadows. This man produced and had a say in every game till 2007. He must have had a big say in 06. He gave Shadow a green light for pete’s sake! So this man has so much creative control, yet he throws it out the window, leaving the team leaderless. These guys had depended on him for a long time and he just walks out. Of course it’d fail. Most Sega employees have apologised (mostly Iizuka but he wasn’t even involved in the game :-p) but Naka? No. He doesn’t apologise for storming out, leaving it to fester and die. Now he mooches off the good light Iizuka has created digging up his mess? Yuji Naka should have a lot to answer for.

There. I hope I did enough detail to explain some reasons why I like 06. Hope it’s good enough and I may elaborate more later. Got uni now! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Guns, like any other item or concept considering inappropriate for children's media, immediately lose their power and inappropriateness depending on how they're rendered, wielded, and what kind of damage they do to the environment and other characters. After all, does anyone really take Looney tunes or old Disney shorts that have guns as serious breeches in tone? Yosemite Sam's more hilarious than anything in the Sonic series thus far and that dude's been packing real pistols for years. Context, context, context.

Its not so much the guns themselves, but how they're presented. Looney Tunes is obviously more comedy driven than Sonic is(well...before anyway) so when guns appear in the former, we just laugh it off, but if guns appear in the latter, we're meant to take them with some bit of seriousness. I guess I don't mind it too much on Fang because guns have always been a part of his character as opposed to Shadow whose never had any need nor does he need a gun at all. As long as its not done in the "Uberdarksrs" that Shadow's game did, I can deal.

That pic tho is kinda heavy handed.

That fanart is awesome! But yah, way too serious. I don't mind if Sonic games have darker, more serious elements but if they go overboard where it's almost hilarious (see ShtH) then I don't like it as much. Fang is an awesome character though and rather see him carrying a weapon around than Shadow.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone has asked this yet but would you have liked Princess Elise more if she was a hedgehog like Sonic, or any other anthro character? I think I would have but not if her character was still the same. That is, bland as hell and a worse DID (Damsel In Distress) than Princess Peach! I just found this fanart on DA that got me thinking on how Elise would work as an anthro character instead of ugly "realistic" human.

Lr828Kp.png