Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

We already have an Elise the Hedgehog.

We call her Amy. And she's even better than Elise as a human.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah...the romance. I forgot about that. -__-; I'm one of those that's okay-Ish about Elise, a human, having a crush on Sonic the hedgehog. But what I really don't like about the couple is that it was poorly written and VERY cliche. And like the rest of the game, it was all for nothing in the end.

Human or not, we'd still have a crap character with a crap personality who keeps getting herself kidnapped by dudes who like collecting vintage bottlecaps and wearing them as trophies.

...Still, even Elise is small-time for me compared to Mephiles.

(Also, about guns, I'm fine with them as long as they're not uber-grim and belong to characters who actually need them, like Nack or even Robotnik, as opposed to the guy that's meant to be the Ultimate Lifeform.)

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the topic of guns, am I the only one who likes how the base robots utilized them in 06? How they chipped away at your rings one by one?

To be honest, I really did like that one. It made the basic robots at least pose a little bit of a threat and it gave you something to pay attention to in how you wanted to approach a group of enemies. Plus running through a hailstorm of bullets (not that we ever got a hailstorm) seems like a very sonic-y thing to do.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 4

Shmeh, I honestly preferred the typical "one hit = all rings lost" deal. Though given how fast and nigh unavoidable those shots are...

Also, it's a stupid thing to complain about, but I didn't really like how sometimes rings would stop spinning and just fall to the ground.

EDIT: And narrowly staying ahead of a hailstorm of bullets seems more like a Sonic-y thing to do than just running straight through it.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

On the topic of guns, am I the only one who likes how the base robots utilized them in 06? How they chipped away at your rings one by one?

To be honest, I really did like that one. It made the basic robots at least pose a little bit of a threat and it gave you something to pay attention to in how you wanted to approach a group of enemies. Plus running through a hailstorm of bullets (not that we ever got a hailstorm) seems like a very sonic-y thing to do.

I'll admit it, I really liked that idea. I died a couple of times when I had like 3-5 rings, due to the machine gun fire giving you no recovery invincibility, which is an entirely fair change of pace. If you have no rings, then the laughably harmless robots are suddenly incredibly dangerous. Which accounts for an awful lot of deaths in that one mission where you have to fight through lots of robots with no rings. If not for the loading screens I would've appreciated that one a bit more.

Reminds me of the gas hazard in Lava Reef Zone.

• Thumbs Up 3

^ I personally thought that even the GUN robots had more unique than Eggman's GenericShiT-1000s. They had like badniks still held little animals within them and had a fictionalized futuristic military design.

Human or not, we'd still have a crap character with a crap personality who keeps getting herself kidnapped by dudes who like collecting vintage bottlecaps and wearing them as trophies.

I think the only two things going for a non-human Elise would be that the kiss would (presumably) be less awkward to watch (especially if she was a hedgehog) and that maybe we would have had Sonic-styled animal NPCs...which probably would had meant a game that didn't try to make itself/wouldn't had been "uber-realsitic" as a result.

Which makes me wonder if Sonic-man would had looked like a blatant Sonic recolor with a bike helmet glued to his head.... tongue.png

Edited by Gabe

You know, I don't understand why Elise inspires rage beyond the fact that she appears in Sonjc 06 thus the assumption should be to assume there's nothing redeeming about her because Sonic 06 (and the kiss, but w/e). It just reeks of typical overreaction.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't hate Elise as a character (heck, there's really no character I truly hate), any problems I had with her stem from how she was written. It really would've been nice to have her grow into a stronger character who must put her own desires aside for others. Like for example, when Eggman threatened the city, Elise turned herself in so no one could be harmed. I thought to myself, 'Wow, this is actually pretty noble trait for her. Even though it's the fifth time she's gotten captured, it's the only one where she voluntarily let herself get captured.' And then we get to the Last Story, where she's faced with erasing Solaris from existence, but doesn't want to forget Sonic and says, "I don't care what happens to the world!"

What....

I'm all for having her conflicted in a situation like that, but looking at it now, that quote rubbed the wrong way, and sorta undid any development Elise might have had during the game.

I dislike Elise, she only cares for herself. I know you guys might prove me wrong but she only cares for herself and Sonic. I hate characters that only like themselves. I like villains who are like this but with 'heroes' it just bugs the hell out of me.

I don't hate Elise as a character (heck, there's really no character I truly hate), any problems I had with her stem from how she was written. It really would've been nice to have her grow into a stronger character who must put her own desires aside for others. Like for example, when Eggman threatened the city, Elise turned herself in so no one could be harmed. I thought to myself, 'Wow, this is actually pretty noble trait for her. Even though it's the fifth time she's gotten captured, it's the only one where she voluntarily let herself get captured.' And then we get to the Last Story, where she's faced with erasing Solaris from existence, but doesn't want to forget Sonic and says, "I don't care what happens to the world!"

What....

I'm all for having her conflicted in a situation like that, but looking at it now, that quote rubbed the wrong way, and sorta undid any development Elise might have had during the game.

Elise was always a pretty selfless ruler. Every time the subject came up, she was always squarely in the camp of putting her people first, and the citizens in turn valued her as a ruler. What I got out of her, though, was that she'd never really had time to grow to be a normal girl or even an expressive person towards her people and the world, due to both her responsibilities and the fact of what her father did. Sonic essentially allows her to experience freedom and fun and fear and sadness for probably one of the first times in her life. And then he has to not only go away, but they're both going to forget about each other's existence together? Is it any wonder she would hesitate? Also, it basically mirrors the dialogue that Amy said when she confronted Silver and is basically meant to show how valuable Sonic is in both of these girls' lives, that they'd give up the world for him.

• Thumbs Up 2

For me the clincher is she had the gall to actually kiss him. I can understand if she felt affection for him but uhh... that's a bit presumptuous to assume you have hedgehog poaching rights. That Amy didn't smash her head with the hammer is actually fairly impressive.

She was also an annoying clingon because she kept getting kidnapped. I know "the fuckup" is a common archtype, but it just got obnoxiously repetitive. While a fair story element in and of itself, it really ruins her character; that she turns herself in was probably refreshing for this reason. Plus, did Sonic even comment on how she kept getting kidnapped? You think he would have at least done that to make it seem more believable.

Finally as a character she's the usual one-timer with a mystical ability. While it makes sense that the plot would gravitate towards these sorts of people in all of Eggman's various schemes, it really needs freshening up because of how stale it's gotten. I mean, compare how close Sonic got with Chip versus Elise. I'm just not seeing the same bond between them, Elise's desire to have his babies aside.

• Thumbs Up 2

I understand what they were trying to go for with Elise's character, but the execution is so shitty that its extremely hard to see any redeeming qualities when so much bad outweighs the good.

If anything, I do appreciate what they were going for and would have loved to see Elise's development properly expanded, but I don't give credit on what could have been.

• Thumbs Up 3

Elise is on the same boat as Silver for me. I don't completely dislike her as much as the more vocal haters do, I simply don't care about her and what she brought to the table all that much. Even back in 2006, I never saw the kiss scene as anything but another rubbish scene in a rubbish game.

Besides, Mephiles is the '06 character that I have the most beef with.

Edited by Dr. Crusher
  • Thumbs Up 1

The "suppressed emotion for sake of people" while sort of interest, was kind of done already with Blaze in Rush. The fact that she was able to bear the punch to the gut, that her fathers death was, without crying at the age of 7 is frankly, ludicrous. Suspension of disbelief can only go SO far, I mean 7-year-olds cry if they fall over and hurt themselves too bad. Its just silly.

There is also the selfish bitch aspect towards the end of the game, and the fact that she grows far too attached to Sonic, far too quickly. She knew the guy for.....what 2-3 days at most? For the majority of their "relationship", Elise was kidnapped and with Eggman. Frankly the likelihood of Elise developing Stockholm syndrome with Eggman would be greater than her developing any feelings for Sonic beyond admiration, respect or at most friendship. 

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 7

Frankly the likelihood of Elise developing Stockholm syndrome with Eggman would be greater than her developing any feelings for Sonic beyond admiration, respect or even friendship. 

... GENIUS!

Provided it was Eggman as he actually is, not the bland overly realistic one in 06. Perhaps a bit too indepth for a Sonic game to effectively tell, but it would have been funny as fuck.

My main problem with Elise is she's such a "neutral female" as in she does fucking nothing apart from revive Sonic at the end. When he's getting his arse kicked by Silver twice, she doesn't even try and do anything or SAY anything to Silver to try and convince him to stop. She just steps back and clasps her hands together and gets kidnapped yet again. Both times! As crazy as Amy got in this game, at least she had Sonic's back after the Sonic vs Silver fight.

Though Sonic running off to save Elise even though Amy still has to deal with Silver who Sonic himself could not beat was horrendous in itself too... perhaps one of the worst parts of this game's story.

Edited by Semi-colon e

She was also an annoying clingon because she kept getting kidnapped. I know "the fuckup" is a common archtype, but it just got obnoxiously repetitive. While a fair story element in and of itself, it really ruins her character; that she turns herself in was probably refreshing for this reason. Plus, did Sonic even comment on how she kept getting kidnapped? You think he would have at least done that to make it seem more believable.

She gets kidnapped like, what, four times? And escapes without Sonic twice anyway? I really don't find it that egregious, nor am I sure how it reflects badly on her so much as it does on Sonic's performance in the game. Most women who actually get kidnapped can't even hold off suppressors without Eggman's level of mechanical force and power, so I'm supposed to believe that she's fucking up in some ways by being kidnapped? That if she magically ran from the robots, she'd most assuredly get away? xP

She gets kidnapped like, what, four times? And escapes without Sonic twice anyway? I really don't find it that egregious, nor am I sure how it reflects badly on her so much as it does on Sonic's performance in the game. Most women who actually get kidnapped can't even hold off suppressors without Eggman's level for mechanical force and power, so I'm supposed to believe that she's fucking up in some ways by being kidnapped? That if she magically ran from the robots, she'd most assuredly get away? xP

Oh yeah. The classy as always, 06 writers turned Sonic into a two-bit moron who served no function other than to get killed. Elise constantly getting captured was a result of Sonic being grossly incompetant.

Oh yeah. The classy as always, 06 writers turned Sonic into a two-bit moron who served no function other than to get killed. Elise constantly getting captured was a result of Sonic being grossly incompetant.

Which continually raises the question on how this reflects badly on Elise, or how the kidnappings are in any way her fault.

Which continually raises the question on how this reflects badly on Elise, or how the kidnappings are in any way her fault.

It doesn't. Maybe fans are just mad at Elise, because Sonic was made to look like a fucking idiot because of her constantly getting captured.

Another thing that never came around regarding Elise is that in the beginning she mistook Sonic for Silver for a split second because she remembered seeing him 10 years ago (even though it seemed to me she was uncouncious most of the time). But when she and Sonic meet Silver for the first time, she never asks who he is or why he's trying to kill Sonic. The game never really expanded on this notion of them ever interacting proir to the game's events.

• Thumbs Up 2

It doesn't. Maybe fans are just mad at Elise, because Sonic was made to look like a fucking idiot because of her constantly getting captured.

Then we agree that the "Elise is a bad character in part because she gets kidnapped a lot" argument people have been toting around for years is fucking stupid because it has no bearing on her personality or much of anything relevant to her characterization? Great. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Another thing that never came around regarding Elise is that in the beginning she mistook Sonic for Silver for a split second because she remembered seeing him 10 years ago (even though it seemed to me she was uncouncious most of the time). But when she and Sonic meet Silver for the first time, she never asks who he is or why he's trying to kill Sonic. The game never really expanded on this notion of them ever interacting proir to the game's events.

That bugs me too. That and her default reaction is run behind Sonic, clasp her hands and stay silent as a mouse. That's some good princessing, there! *rolls eyes*