Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I remember when a friend mentioned this game to me, June last year. He's a Sonic fan as much as I am. Spent the whole day on Sonic All-Stars Racing on a college trip at a media museum. He asked if I'd played it, and when I said no, he replied with things like "count yourself lucky" and "Worst game in the series".

Just goes to show what a lasting impression mentioning this game makes on someone. And even I have to agree with most on here after seeing the Let's Play's.

Ahhhh, the Sonic 06 topic. Just as lively and upbeat as usual I see....

• Thumbs Up 1

Fine, I guess I should learn how to word shit, and I thank you all for the INCREDIBLY WARM welcome to the forums.

In fairness, you could've made a better first impression.

You do understand that talking in a degrading and patronising manner is not going to make you many friends here, right? Talking in L33t speak, insulting people and generally being a bit too aggressive going to do you good either.

Also, don't make a topic without a little knowledge of the forum rules and such. You may have noticed that there was already a 06 topic sooner.

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine to have your own opinions, even if it goes against general consensus, just don't be too forward with your opinions. Remember that other peoples opinions matter equally to yours. Try to generally be a little calmer too, no need to be so worked up about this. Some people think 06 is the worst Sonic game, some people think it's something different. You have to respect their opinions on the game.

I'm genuinely sorry you had a poor start in the forums, it's just you're unfortunate enough to quickly become involved in a pretty touchy subject in the fanbase. This is a nice place, you just got off on the wrong foot.

Edited by Dandp

In effort to get back to topic, I got a question.

Does anybody know why the playable characters in 06 were so much weaker in comparison to themselves in previous titles? For example the characters's running speed, attacks, and other abilities like flying, gliding, and the light dash were not as efficient as they were in games like SA, SA2, Sonic Heroes, the Advance games, or even Shadow the Hedgehog. What gives!?

I mean with the sheer vast amount enemies that were thrown at you in 06, this was game that could've definitely benefited from abilities like the Light Speed Attack, Maximum Heat Knuckles Attack, and the ShTH version of Chaos Blast.

Anyway, does anyone have an answer to this?

Asde from incompetent programing/the team THINKING they had the Adventure formula nailed down, no idea.

Although Sonic's slow speed is apparantly the result of an idea that was axed but not fully removed (i.e. he would run faster the more rings he had), I don't know if that holds true for everyone else.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

Does anybody know why the playable characters in 06 were so much weaker in comparison to themselves in previous titles?

Well, keep in mind that Sonic characters don't always keep consistent "power levels"/movesets between games. They gain, lose, or keep moves as the designers feel best suits the game they're trying to make, so you might end up with something like, an overpowered move in one game that gets cut in the next, or a move that's acceptable in one game gets replaced in a game with a different focus.

Although the more immediate reason is the same as with most of '06's problems; a heavy dose of incompetence, both in programming and design.

The fact that they saw fit to give Amy an invisibility move and made Tails's only means of attack a throwable fucking item box speaks to me that there is no real excuse why they're weaker, and Sonic Team just had no fucking idea of what they were doing at all. It's like they programmed a bunch of abilities before they even had any idea who to attach them to, so ultimately just said "fuck it" and assigned moves to characters in a completely arbitary fashion.

Edited by Blacklightning

Honestly Tails' ring bomb dealie, I think they just repurposed a testing object. It was in that first teaser trailer, wasn't it? As a sort of "hey look at all these physics objects we can do!" thing?

That it actually got through to the final version as part of a character's moveset (and their only attack, I think?) really speaks volumes as to how fucked up '06's development was.

• Thumbs Up 1

I did back before my 360 died and I had to get a new one. Did it to see if I could unlock anything especially playing as Blaze in any stage as she was the only fun character to me. My anger after I found out that it didn't was astronomical. I just haven't brought myself to do it again mellow.png

Has anyone here 100%-ed 06?

I did because I also expected something to unlock once I did. Unfortunately my 360 died also and everything got erased after that.

100% Sonic 06? You guys are masochists. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc
  • Thumbs Up 1

I 100% Sonic 06 in the early days after its release when Gamefaqs still had false info about Rainbow Gems and Free Play modes.

I distinctly remember part of my soul dying in agony as I collected the last couple of silver medals. I'd rather not know how many hours I spent looking for the damn things in the hub level.

100% Sonic 06? You guys are masochists. laugh.png

When you think about it now, at least it's less of a chore than maxing out ShTH. A-ranking every mission of every level, doing it again with a slightly different assortment of rules, and completing every single one of the 200+ different routes throughout the whole stage ladder? All the while battling awful camera and control issues, a mission structure that makes genre roulette look fucking comfortable, and the urge not to expunge the Westopolis theme from memory until the end of days? Fuck, I'd prefer trying to 100% '06 over that if I ever was given the choice. At least that shit's bad enough to laugh at. =P

Edited by Blacklightning

I get the impression that Tails's Ring Bombs were based on the ones in Heroes when your other characters were dead, but it was as useless there as it is here.

Then again, I don't know if it's the bad aim you get during flight itself that's the problem or if it's really hard to aim because Tails always flies forward automatically like a bellend.

That it actually got through to the final version as part of a character's moveset (and their only attack, I think?) really speaks volumes as to how fucked up '06's development was.

Is this because of extremely rushed development, or for other reason?

Has anyone here 100%-ed 06?

I would have, but unfortunately, I don't have the gaming hands of Jesus Christ because you'd need a miracle to do so.

crystallize, on 30 Jun 2013 - 14:20, said:Is this because of extremely rushed development, or for other reason?

Because it's inclusion of trailer ideas for the sake of inclusion rather than thought actually having gone into how effective the move actually is and how it works. This is rampant amongst the other playable characters.

Amy can turn invisible for literally no apparent reason, a move that came completely out of left field, which is largely useless and which complicates gameplay EVEN MORE because she has an extremely narrow-ranged attack with her hammer (Her only attack actually), meaning you have to get very close to an enemy to destroy it which is complicated by merit of her being invisible, making you prone to being attacked.

The game even fucks-up the properties of Sonic's famous signature Spin Attack that's been a staple of his moveset for years by making it useless as an attack.

Rouge's bombs are stupid in how they work, a wall-laid one only detonating when another is placed and leaving her wide-open to attack when she throws them on the ground or in the air.

Omega's attacks are fiddly to use, the attack in which he swings his arms forward requiring precise position and the hope that like Rouge, you won't get attacked when you're prone in one position in the air. That he controls like he's walking on butter when he uses his arm attack on the ground is one of many, many problems with '06's physics and controls.

A large amount of Sonic's gem moves are gimmicks for the sake of gimmickry rather than being genuinely useful. The white, sky blue, purple and green gem moves epitomize this, the white one even being completely useless and therefore pointless to use as not only does it not make the homing attack any more powerful than it usually is but it makes Sonic as prone as Rouge or Omega to being attacked as he stays in one place whilst 'charging' the homing 'smash'.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't be surprised if they programmed invisibility thinking that Espio might end up in the game, only for that not to be the case, so they just gave it to Amy for whatever reason.

Sure, that sounds really stupid. But, well. It's Sonic '06.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't be surprised if they programmed invisibility thinking that Espio might end up in the game, only for that not to be the case, so they just gave it to Amy for whatever reason.

Sure, that sounds really stupid. But, well. It's Sonic '06.

Yeah, giving Amy invisibility makes as much sense as giving Princess Peach a broadsword. Just...like...why?

Well, conceptually Amy's powers actually make a fair bit of sense. She doesn't have the strength or speed of most of the cast, and all she's got is a slow, short-range hammer attack...so they let her go invisible so she can stealth up to an enemy and get a clean hit.

That doesn't excuse it, mind; it just means there's a certain thread of logic to it. Unfortunately in practice it falls apart at every conceivable level, because it isn't fun to do and it doesn't make any sense for her to be able to do that.

Yeah, giving Amy invisibility makes as much sense as giving Princess Peach a broadsword. Just...like...why?

I don't know about you, but giving Peach a broadsword would be awesome. Who cares why she would have it?

• Thumbs Up 5

I was viewing some of the coding of Tails and I noticed something rather strange.... 

mario64?

EDIT: This also shows up on the rest of the characters coding.

post-6030-0-67364600-1372645322_thumb.pn

Edited by OneNOnly

Because it's inclusion of trailer ideas for the sake of inclusion rather than thought actually having gone into how effective the move actually is and how it works. This is rampant amongst the other playable characters.

Amy can turn invisible for literally no apparent reason, a move that came completely out of left field, which is largely useless and which complicates gameplay EVEN MORE because she has an extremely narrow-ranged attack with her hammer (Her only attack actually), meaning you have to get very close to an enemy to destroy it which is complicated by merit of her being invisible, making you prone to being attacked.

The game even fucks-up the properties of Sonic's famous signature Spin Attack that's been a staple of his moveset for years by making it useless as an attack.

Rouge's bombs are stupid in how they work, a wall-laid one only detonating when another is placed and leaving her wide-open to attack when she throws them on the ground or in the air.

Omega's attacks are fiddly to use, the attack in which he swings his arms forward requiring precise position and the hope that like Rouge, you won't get attacked when you're prone in one position in the air. That he controls like he's walking on butter when he uses his arm attack on the ground is one of many, many problems with '06's physics and controls.

A large amount of Sonic's gem moves are gimmicks for the sake of gimmickry rather than being genuinely useful. The white, sky blue, purple and green gem moves epitomize this, the white one even being completely useless and therefore pointless to use as not only does it not make the homing attack any more powerful than it usually is but it makes Sonic as prone as Rouge or Omega to being attacked as he stays in one place whilst 'charging' the homing 'smash'.

Wow, dude, slow down! I was asking about why 2006 development considered to be "fucked". Is it simply because developers generally had good ideas that turned out to be incompleted because the game was rushed? Or is it because development process was poorly planned, poorly directed, had unpopular ideas and no common sense from very beginning?

Well, conceptually Amy's powers actually make a fair bit of sense. She doesn't have the strength or speed of most of the cast, and all she's got is a slow, short-range hammer attack...so they let her go invisible so she can stealth up to an enemy and get a clean hit.

Contradiction lol

Edited by crystallize