Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Contradiction lol

More like "I acknowlede that there was a possible reason for Amy's invisibility, even though she never could do that before and simply giving her a better attack range would've done a better job than giving her arbitrary powers".

• Thumbs Up 5

Wow, dude, slow down! I was asking about why 2006 development considered to be "fucked". Is it simply because developers generally had good ideas that turned out to be incompleted because the game was rushed? Or is it because development process was poorly planned, poorly directed, had unpopular ideas and no common sense from very beginning?

The latter. Which I explained by making an example out of how badly-incorporated the moveset ideas were and how the game's physics and bad programming contribute to the badness.

The latter. Which I explained by making an example out of how badly-incorporated the moveset ideas were and how the game's physics and bad programming contribute to the badness.

Rushing clearly had a hell of a lot to do with it as well though. There's oodles of cut-content in the game, and the most basic of movement is broken. The game definitely went through development hell to make all matters worse and was poorly programmed at it's core, but it was a poorly constructed project that was concluded before it was finished.

• Thumbs Up 1

It was a generally poorly conceived project. Everything about it was misguided.

Sure, the shitty development cycle and overall rushed-ness of the game made it significantly worse, but remove those, and you still have a fundamentally bad game. The story is contrived, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense, even if you apply its internal logic. The Sonic characters are largely butchered to the point where they're hardly recognisable, outside of their physical attributes. Only Shadow seemed to have been been constructed with half a degree of competence, in terms of character. The villain was a giant spastic, who went round and round the mulberry bush, using the most retardedly complex and convoluted plan of all time, to kill Sonic. He ended up doing it himself, which begs the question as to why didn't do that in the first place. This means that technically, Silver and Blaze weren't actually needed.

Sonic, Eggman and Elise are plot devices at best, which is really insulting, given the name of the game. Elise could have been replaced with the "Scepter of Flames" and Sonic, Eggman, Silver and Blaze (along with their respective sidekicks) could have been omitted entirely, and the game could have focused itself entirely on Shadow saving the world, which would have made more sense than the actual story did. 

Then there is the level design, which is total rubbish in most places. Rarely any interestic set-pieces. Overly large, with not a whole lot around, just a lot of dash-pads and automation.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Um, Silver was taking care of the other half of the threat and was central to the whole Time Traveling gimmick of the plot. No way could he have been omitted and have the plot work the same, cuz you'd have to do a lot of rewriting if you took him out.

I've been thinking. Was the two Chaos Emeralds reacting together with two people saying 'Chaos Control' to create a portal which can teleport different people to different time frames with only that portal canon, or another convoluted plot point within this game?

Considering the lack of mention of it after '06, not to mention the convoutedness of it, I'm guessing it's just a made up plot point.

As is nearly everything else in this game, it seems.

Thanks for the answer, and after reading all this thread, I still wonder why the game is £25 on Amazon.

I've been thinking. Was the two Chaos Emeralds reacting together with two people saying 'Chaos Control' to create a portal which can teleport different people to different time frames with only that portal canon, or another convoluted plot point within this game?

If it were canon, then Shadow should have used it to try to prevent Maria from dying in the first place, ripple effect and various unforeseen consequences aside.

If it were canon, then Shadow should have used it to try to prevent Maria from dying in the first place, ripple effect and various unforeseen consequences aside.

And Super Sonic's/Super Shadow's dual-Chaos Control to put the ARK into a stable orbit at the end of SA2 would have likely scattered everyone across time :P

And Super Sonic's/Super Shadow's dual-Chaos Control to put the ARK into a stable orbit at the end of SA2 would have likely scattered everyone across time tongue.png

Which probably wouldn't have even happened since Shadow only needs at least two Chaos Emeralds to pull it off for himself so he can stop her death from happening, at least going by the logic 06 presented. As a result, no revenge, no ARK, no planetary doom...although then again the "Gerald modifying Shadow's memory" might be a problem...

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile

And Super Sonic's/Super Shadow's dual-Chaos Control to put the ARK into a stable orbit at the end of SA2 would have likely scattered everyone across time tongue.png

... Wow, this actually never occurred to me. What a blatant continuity mistake.

This game's story just gets worse and worse over time! It's like a gift that keeps on giving!

EDIT: I kinda figure Shadow would go back in time, but ultimately decide against saving Maria, at least nowadays. I think he knows she (probably) wouldn't want him to "play god" with his powers. Plus he left his past behind him and all that.

Edited by ElementofChaos

... Wow, this actually never occurred to me. What a blatant continuity mistake.

This game's story just gets worse and worse over time! It's like a gift that keeps on giving!

EDIT: I kinda figure Shadow would go back in time, but ultimately decide against saving Maria, at least nowadays. I think he knows she (probably) wouldn't want him to "play god" with his powers. Plus he left his past behind him and all that.

I would think he would go back to save her, and then return to the present to blow up all of humanity with her getting front row seats, since Gerald's brain mods are still there...

But if Maria is saved, Gerald has no reason to mod Shadow's brain.

In fact, SA2 as a whole would never have happened.

But if Maria is saved, Gerald has no reason to mod Shadow's brain.

In fact, SA2 as a whole would never have happened.

I'm trying to make logic out of the illogical here! I'm gonna miss some details here and there >:U.

Meaning Eggman wouldn't need to locate and release Shadow, so he'd pretty much wrote himself out of the current timeline

I kinda figured said brain mods were simply erasing Shadow's memories of Maria's influence RE: humanity (that is her telling Shadow to bring hope to humanity and stuff). And he lost ALL his memories pre-Heroes, which lead to everything in Heroes/ShTH, which in turn led to him discovering that both Maria and pre-losing-his-mind Gerald wanted him to be a hero.

So I'd argue he isn't programmed against humanity anymore. He was essentially a blank slate in ShTH and ended up on the side of good-because-he-has-nothing-better-to-do.

But wouldn't Gerald do that to him anyway? Maria isn't dead but she would have disappeared from her time to go to Sonics time, Gerald would still have lost her anyway.

Even if she didn't leave the timeline shed have to lay low as I imagine anyone with knowledge about project shadow was to be silenced

You implied that by "save Maria", he'd stop the G.U.N. soldiers, not abduct her into 50 years into the future.

The Commander would probably be willing to help create a new identity for her and all that government stuffs.

Although that's assuming pulling Maria out of the past doesn't change things. If Shadow went to the day of the attack, and made sure everything stayed the same for the most part, he could probably pull it off. Maria being on the "missing persons" list instead of the list of the dead could have still been enough for Gerald to ... well, you know.

Wow, this got really off topic of '06, opps. Still, interesting talk.

So uh, this is something that's been on my mind lately: '06's soundtrack. As much as I like it, it's actually one of my least fav Sonic soundtracks. Of course, that means it's still good, but, y'know. Anyone else feel this way?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Commander would probably be willing to help create a new identity for her and all that government stuffs.

Although that's assuming pulling Maria out of the past doesn't change things. If Shadow went to the day of the attack, and made sure everything stayed the same for the most part, he could probably pull it off. Maria being on the "missing persons" list instead of the list of the dead could have still been enough for Gerald to ... well, you know.

Wow, this got really off topic of '06, opps. Still, interesting talk.

So uh, this is something that's been on my mind lately: '06's soundtrack. As much as I like it, it's actually one of my least fav Sonic soundtracks. Of course, that means it's still good, but, y'know. Anyone else feel this way?

Yes, I do. It just doesn't feel Sonic-y compared to previous entries and the Unleashed trilogy that came after it. The only level themes that stand out to me are Wave Ocean, Crisis City, and Kingdom Valley. Still a good OST, though.

Edited by Tomoki

What is your most disliked/hated level in the game?

I know some may say "All of them" then get tons of likes, but still I'm curious.

Mine is probably the Dusty Desert with Silver, know why? The Ball Puzzle. The origin of Rage Quits.

What is your most disliked/hated level in the game?

I know some may say "All of them" then get tons of likes, but still I'm curious.

Mine is probably the Dusty Desert with Silver, know why? The Ball Puzzle. The origin of Rage Quits.

I'd have to say Dusty Desert or White Acropolis overall. There's no fun in either of those, nothing at all. Same could be said for Flame Core, almost.

Tropical Jungle is reeeeeeally forgettable too and to be honest, most of the time I forget the entire level exists.

Well, my favourite level is the Kingdom Valley demo. biggrin.png

In all seriousness, and I might get some backlash for this, I actually don't mind the levels (even the level design) most of the time, it's just the gameplay itself that turns me off completely. I admit, I've only played about half of Sonic's story myself, but I've watched footage of most of the game, so ...

Edited by ElementofChaos

Personally my least favorite level is End of the World.

Granted, I hate almost every level in the game, but if I had to choose the worst level, definitely that one.