Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Favorite level would be White Acropolis, just because I can die laughing at the snowboarding section with Sonic.

Least favorite level, like my boss right above me, would be End of the World. Those timeholes are BULLCRAP!!

So uh, this is something that's been on my mind lately: '06's soundtrack. As much as I like it, it's actually one of my least fav Sonic soundtracks. Of course, that means it's still good, but, y'know. Anyone else feel this way?

I actually feel this way as well. While I think ShtH's soundtrack is technically inferior to 06's, I still found it more memorable and more fitting to the Sonic series.  Still think 06's soundtrack is good.  Hell, Tomoya Ohtani is my favorite Sonic composer but my love for his work comes from other games in the series. (SA2, SRA, Unleashed, etc.)

What is your most disliked/hated level in the game?

I know some may say "All of them" then get tons of likes, but still I'm curious.

Mine is probably the Dusty Desert with Silver, know why? The Ball Puzzle. The origin of Rage Quits.

You could probably put in the group of fans who hated every stage in 06, but in all seriousness I guess it'd have to be Flame Core.

(Believe you me. End of the World was a fucking strong contender and Flame Core had NO MACH SPEED SECTION!)

As for why? Well let's see: Terrible design the make the platforming abysmal (and with 06's controls OH BOY!), long as hell, two parts (which means a loading screen in the middle of the level), fireballs that hit you from out of nowhere, dash panels that will send you straight into a fire geyser, bland music track, enemies galore with many sporting lengthy health bars, the wall running sections (God forbid you fall otherwise it's Lava City which means you rings sink into the molten rock or you die because you had no rings), glitches a plenty and other general annoyances,

Nope there's more: In Sonic's version you have to play as Knuckles, whose one of the worst playable characters in the game.

In Shadow's, you have to play as Rouge, who while better than Knuckles, is nothing like her SA2 counterpart.

In Silver's, oh I'm sorry! Were expecting to play as Blaze in this level? After all, she walked into FC with Silver in the cutscene before the level so it only makes sense.  So we definitely get to play with her again finally, after what seems like forever since White Acropolis, right? Right?

WRONG!!!

You get to play the whole entire level with Silver, which of course means slowly and quite painfully making your way to the, for some stupid reason, unkillable fire demon on the other side of the volcano.  Lovely...

I mean yeah it makes sense why Blaze could be playable in Flame Core but bitch please. This is Sonic 06! Sense and logic went out the window a long time ago!

So yeah I think I hate Flame Core. 

My most hated level is tied between Radical Train and Crisis City. 

The thing is that both are great level concepts (even if Crisis City's trope is the generic city-in-ruins trope); Radical Train is a realistic Sunset Park Zone and Crisis City has some of the best elements from 06 (great level theme, the platforming portions after the horrid snowboarding segment, one of the only levels that had good graphics).  But both have one thing that ruin them: THE DAM MACH SPEED SECTIONS.  With Radical Trains one, you have literally NO control over sonic and the layout is not even remotely designed for that gameplay (with the sharp curves to turn and tricky jumping portions) while Crisis City has the "tornado carrying cars" throwing crap at you when the camera keeps changing from in front of Sonic to behind Sonic, and the fact jumping is horrid in these sections help not one bit. 

Ironically, Kingdom Valley's Mach Speed Section was one of my favorite memories of 06; the simple layout, amazing theme, great graphics, running on water, ect. 

I for one think some concepts, level tropes, and music for 06 could be recycled/remixed for /much/ better use in a completely new game.

Asking for the game to be "finished" or remade in it's current state would be similar to asking for someone to polish shit on a stick, though.

What is your most disliked/hated level in the game?   I know some may say "All of them" then get tons of likes, but still I'm curious.   Mine is probably the Dusty Desert with Silver, know why? The Ball Puzzle. The origin of Rage Quits.
I personally find Sonic's Kingdom Valley to be really boring outside of the mach speed and first section. Despite that, I'd say my least favorites would go to Shadow's/Silver's White Acropolis, Sonic's Aquatic Base, Sonic and Silver's Dusty Desert and Silver's Tropical Jungle.

When I saw this topic I thought of a Super Luigi U style cover where Sonic the Hedgehog is crossed out and replaced with Tales the Fox. Btw, does anyone know why I can't post in the market?

When I saw this topic I thought of a Super Luigi U style cover where Sonic the Hedgehog is crossed out and replaced with Tales the Fox. Btw, does anyone know why I can't post in the market?

You need to have been a member for a week and have a minimum of 15 posts.

You need to have been a member for a week and have a minimum of 15 posts.

You need to be a member for a week and have 15 posts.

Ninja'd...

Yay my first Ninja ;P

I think my most hated level would have to be the HUB worlds, seriously they are so big! And in the castle town it's really easy to get lost!

• Thumbs Up 1

I probably hate Flame Core the most as an overall level, it's one of the worst levels as all three 'hogs. However, Silver's Dusty Desert is the worst with the fucking ball puzzle, and Shadow's isn't much better aside from the fossils in the green caves which was pretty interesting. Sonic's was one of the best levels in the game, with multiple routes, relaxing music and a really nice sunset. A similar concept would be cool to see in another game, the sunset and the relaxing feel made it feel slightly different to Sandopolis and it's ilk despite still being really generic.

Flame Core just sucks as everyone outright, with your rings going straight into the lava and tricky jumps with a shitty camera angle and no lighting in some of the caves. The cavern music is bitchin' as all hell, though.

Shadow's and Silver's Kingdom Valleys are pretty bad as well, the water jet ski in Shadow's and Rouge's wall glitch being prominent make his version so bad, while Silver suffers from marathon level stuff and getting your rings physicsed away from you all the time, where the only close to fun part is the part where you play as Sonic. And even then, it's incredibly brief. As Sonic, the first section is awesome but the rest isn't too bad, even the mach speed section is relatively forgiving.

Major unprops to Wave Ocean too, it's music is great but it's bland as everyone, it's literally Emerald Coast but abysmal and most of it is really automated, and the parts that aren't lack the charm and variety of the SA1 classic. It's also a really bad opening level, not really teaching the broken mechanics properly.

Apart from the boarding and the mach speed section, I found Crisis City to be one of the least offensive levels. But the Generations version still kicks the living shit out of it.

Thanks for the info guys. Btw I posted this in the wrong topic. I'm a huge sonic fan, but was advised by friends to never play this game unless I had sado masochistic urges.

I'll answer some posts I needed to answer long time ago.

The game definitely went through development hell to make all matters worse and was poorly programmed at it's core, but it was a poorly constructed project that was concluded before it was finished.

Sounds like you've seen source code and interviewed developers.

Because when somebody says they love to eat shit, you just leave them alone and let them eat their shit.

But then they start talking about how great shit tastes and it gets on peoples' nerves.

THEN they start calling others wrong for not eating shit and that everyone else must hate eating because shit is delicious.

By this point, someone has already spoken up about how shit is not good to eat.

You know, all the Sonic fan sub-groups have a reason to call other groups "shit eaters". You're doing nothing good, raising this rivalry once again. Me too.

Considering that the game nearly killed a franchise which most of us hold so dearly in our hearts, I think the rather volatile reaction towards positivity regarding said game, is pretty justified.

Anyway, it's been 7 years ago, there's no reason to still be that nervous about it.

What does "killed a franchise" mean anyway?

It honestly bothers me that people call the thing with Sonic and Elise bestiality.
Sonic is a humanoid type character with the intelligence of a human.
Hes not a freeking normal hedgehog.
If Sonic type characters existed in the real world it would probably be normal for ramances to exist between humans and anthropomorphics.

I've been waiting an eternity for his! ©Megatron

That, and this topic has just been one big cycle of someone saying "It wasn't that bad guys!" followed by people saying why it was bad until it leads into another big discussion/flamewar which will ultimately sizzle out and eventually start anew.

And people wonder why it's hard to let go of 06'.

There are people who can't see a game behind glitchy gameplay, and there are people who can't see glitchy gameplay behind a game.

If there's one thing I can give to Sonic 2006's credit, it's that the glitches are actually pretty hilarious if played in good company and with the right frame of mind.

I've actually kind of gone through a change of heart towards the game. No, I don't like it at all, and my objectionable criticism towards the game still stands. Thing is, after watching several different LPers (notably BrainScratchComms and Game Grumps) play through the game and deal with the many glitches and overall weird moments in the game to see them react is actually kind of therapeutic. I actually kind of want to buy the game and play it with a few friends to see how many glitches we can find and laugh at.

If you try to play Sonic 2006 seriously, it's terrible. If you play it expecting the glitches and looking for something to laugh at, this is the game for you.

I wonder how software can be worse than "very bad", since it's just a bunch of electrons circulating inside hardware. IMO "terrible" and "shit" implies that game did physically hurt you outside of console or TV. 

Edited by crystallize

What does "killed a franchise" mean anyway?

When a game/film/book/whatever in a series does so poorly, either through poor sales, negative feedback or whathaveyou, that the people behind it either see no hope for it and discontinue it or (in extreme cases) outright puts them out of business.

See also: Franchise Killer.

Sounds like you've seen source code and interviewed developers.

Why yes, we have read interviews with a member of Sonic Team who acknowledged the game's shortcomings.

Oh. And the game's code has also been extensively delved into

It's even been modded because it's all programmed with Lua, making the customization potential enormous for a console game.

Oh boy Sonic '06... I own the 360 version because I wanted to try it out and I do wish to own every sonic game to date even if it's a mediocre game. I haven't noticed any glitches from the few times I have played it, though I find the battle against Silver to be a pain in the butt and I'm stuck on it... The only thing I can't stand about the game is that horrible kiss. It's far from being a good Sonic game, and if it was to be ported to the PC Dario and the gang would totally tear it apart and make it better me thinks. But even Sega knew they had messed up with this game and I highly doubt it will ever see the light of day on Steam...

Edited by Ravenfreak

• 2 weeks later...

I almost want to try this game, but I know I'll rage hardcore at some of the difficult parts. Is it worth at least trying out, just so I can make my own opinion about it?

Practically every opinion worth making about this game has already been made - you don't make a trainwreck of this caliber without spawning a dead horse so thoroughly beaten that people are still taking jabs at the fine powder that used to be its bones.

If you want my advice, save yourself the trouble and just find one of the better Let's Plays to watch. They'll do almost as good a job of highlighting the game's flaws as a personal playthrough would - the only thing you might miss out on is not experiencing exactly how loose and intertia-less the control scheme is, but that's not much you can't deduce from watching a player trying to land on a small platform as Tails, among things.

If you want to experience this game fully for yourself, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you had the same curiosity I did, then fair enough, go for it, just don't spend much money, if any, on it.

If you want to experience this game fully for yourself, I wouldn't recommend it, but if you had the same curiosity I did, then fair enough, go for it, just don't spend much money, if any, on it.

I'm not curious enough to buy it.  Besides, I've only got a Wii.

Go for it if you really want to, especially if it's got a price tag of a piece of candy. Though you should really know that there aren't any 'difficult' parts to rage at, just a ton of horrible design choices that provide artificial difficulty, including throwing sudden curveballs out of nowhere under the logic the player was prepared for the situations. Then there's the programming and gameplay...

Got the game myself a few weeks ago from a bargain bin when I was picking up the other two PS3 Sonic games. I'm now terrified by the mere thought that anyone that could 100% this; I fear going back to play Shadow or Silver for the Gold Medals (ragequit on Shadow's motorbike town mission yesterday, started and finished Eggmanland in Unleashed instead), so I'm leaving it at only Sonic being done with.

For now, anyway.

I saw a speed run where some guy beat the end of the world in under 5 minutes.

I want to try that out for myself.
  • Thumbs Up 6

The Silver section had to be the most interesting by far, simply because I didn't know the air-dash move could do anything even remotely like that. Conserving momentum, in Sonic '06? What is this sorcery?

• Thumbs Up 4

I saw a speed run where some guy beat the end of the world in under 5 minutes.

I want to try that out for myself.

... Well, I must admit: this is one of the only times something about this game legitimately impresses me. I think my heart must've been softened a bit from the sudden awesomeness.