Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

You know, I would recommend that any curious Sonic who's aware of how bad this game is gives it a try. Don't go spending a lot of money on it or anything, but for a few quid you'll get cheap laughs out of it. I don't see any reason to tell people to avoid it, unless they're looking for a good game.

Someone was actually selling Sonic 06 for a good price at Summer of Sonic. I was very tempted.

Someone was actually selling Sonic 06 for a good price at Summer of Sonic. I was very tempted.

You can get it used for as low as a tenner on Amazon, which is just about the most you should spend on the game. Otherwise it's still actually available new in some places for about £25.

this game is a mess.

but I love everything about Kingdom Valley.

it's a feeling, a sensation I can't explain.

• Thumbs Up 3

No, you should not buy this game. It is a really, really bad game, a complete waste of time, and a waste of money at any price. Instead, just do yourself a favor and just play the demo, watch some LP's of the game, and forget about it. You will most likely not like the game.

Come on, it's bad but not THAT bad. Once you get used to the derp controls, some of Sonic's stages are actually kind of entertaining. After I've played too much Unleashed, Generations, Colors, etc and just want something else to play for a bit Sonic's stages aren't the torturous pain everyone makes them out to be. I'm not even saying it's a good game, not even close, but not every part of the game sucks.

Said 'for now' on 100% finishing the game two pages back... and meant it. Finished a few hours ago after leaving Shadow's motorbike town mission for last, then doing a lap of honour as Sonic on a few stages to see the game off. Since it's never going to be worth going back to, especially with Generations having Wave Ocean, Flame Core, Dusty Desert and Kingdom Valley mods (think there's early WiPs of Tropical Jungle and White Acropolis around as well)...

... proceeded to get caught in Wave Ocean's infamous mach speed loop bug, then spawn off of the eagle in Kingdom Valley's second section and die followed by the ramps in the mach speed section just sending me into the abyss. Never seen or heard the last two before, and dodged the bullet on Wave Ocean everytime except this final go. Wanted to get the 'best' of the (all equally terrible) stages done before doing the others, but that was it.

This game.
This goddamn game.

Urgh.

this game is a mess.

but I love everything about Kingdom Valley.

it's a feeling, a sensation I can't explain.

Thats how Sonic games are. Even the less popular ones like 06 have at least one level that sticks with you or you can't help but like. The Kingdom valley song was pretty good. All I remember about the level was shadow jumping through a glass wall while flying through the air, which was kind of cool. 

You know, I would recommend that any curious Sonic who's aware of how bad this game is gives it a try. Don't go spending a lot of money on it or anything, but for a few quid you'll get cheap laughs out of it. I don't see any reason to tell people to avoid it, unless they're looking for a good game.

I had to get this game twice. First time was back in  2009 I wanted to get back into Sonic again and I picked up this game which I had no idea what I was in for. The PS3 broke this disc. I got this copy for $15

Second time I wanted to get a working copy for my PS3 for collection purposes this cost $30 Australian Dollars, pretty expensive for an infamous game, that was like 7 years old at the time I got it, plus it was pre-owned.

I regret spending that much for it, but I don't really mind at the same time. Strange isn't it?

Edited by Celestia Ludenberg

I've finally bought Sonic 06 on PS3.

Oh boy...

I've heard all the horror stories, so I'll just anticipate a very bad experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've finally bought Sonic 06 on PS3.

Oh boy...

I've heard all the horror stories, so I'll just anticipate a very bad experience.

It's supposedly better on PS3.

It's supposedly better on PS3.

The PS3 version has a lower framerate, get ready for some Matrix style Silver battles!

Pretty sure both versions are about as identical as possible. People used to think the PS3 version would be best as it came out a few months after the 360 one, but those assumptions were quickly proved false.

Come on, it's bad but not THAT bad. Once you get used to the derp controls, some of Sonic's stages are actually kind of entertaining. After I've played too much Unleashed, Generations, Colors, etc and just want something else to play for a bit Sonic's stages aren't the torturous pain everyone makes them out to be. I'm not even saying it's a good game, not even close, but not every part of the game sucks. 

Okay, I'll admit that not every part of the game was horrid, but this game is still not something that I would even entertain the thought of recommending.

I remember reading that the PS3 version runs worse despite the extra time that was dedicated to the development of it.

Kinda proves that the development team were pretty clueless and that the rush job only compounded that.

Yeah, the only plus of the PS3 version is 60fps by default... but it drops just about everywhere, even on the results where anything is going on in the background (Sonic's Crisis City is the biggest offender), and probably would have been better just having a 30fps lock to stop it being so horridly jarring.

Doesn't stop the game looking like crap in motion either, so there's that.

Edit: well, fuck

Edited by t0ms0nic

Yeah, the only plus of the PS3 version is 60fps by default... but it drops just about everywhere, even on the results where anything is going on in the background (Sonic's Crisis City is the biggest offender), and probably would have been better just having a 30fps lock to stop it being so horridly jarring.

Doesn't stop the game looking like crap in motion either, so there's that.

Uh, both versions of '06 try to run at 60fps. There's no difference there. It's only Unleashed where the PS3 version is uncapped and the 360 one is.

My experience of this game was over at a cousin's house. She owned the game and dared me to try it. I knew very little about '06 other than it being, as she stated "the plague of the Sonic franchise." I agreed to test it out.

I made it up to the first mach speed section in Wave Ocean...and lost all of my lives.

And then I got sent back to the beginning of the game.

Yeah, I gave up there, but my cousin played through the rest and I watched. I saw glitches out the wazoo, including the "Sonic thrown into space one."

My final thoughs on this game? ...Hahahahano.

Is it strange I enjoyed this game more than the PS3 version of Unleashed?

It'd help if you explain why you prefer this game over Unleashed.

Sonic was uncontrollable in Sonic Unleashed, constantly falling off platforms and targeting random objects with the homing attack.  And Eggmanland. I hate that stage.

Personally, I think most of the problems people have with Unleashed's daytime stages are really the players fault.
The one thing I hate is people throwing around 'artificial difficulty' because they saw a game over screen when they were going too fast and wanted to be spoon fed how to get through the levels without dying or without losing a single ring.

True, I have the worst timing ever so I never reacted fast enough to reach shortcuts or pass quick-time events(have to pause to pass those). I had a better time with the Werehog. 

While it's in both games to a noticable extent, I think I'd reluctantly prefer "artificial difficulty" in terms of cheap level design over artificial difficulty that allows the player to die in ways that they are literally in no control of. It says a lot that you can die during an automated sequence in '06 just because you didn't approach from a very specific angle, yet even in areas where you can correct your path mid-transit you can just randomly fall off the walls and into a lava pit for absolutely no visible reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

"...over artificial difficulty that allows the player to die in ways that they are literally in no control of. It says a lot that you can die during an automated sequence in '06 just because you didn't approach from a very specific angle, yet even in areas where you can correct your path mid-transit you can just randomly fall off the walls and into a lava pit..."

That's not artificial difficulty, that's just bad programming/twitchy controls.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's not artificial difficulty, that's just bad programming/twitchy controls.

If it's difficult without being fair and relying on skill, it's artificial.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2