Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Last time i played this, it was with a bunch of people and i tricked them into playing a drinking game with me on it biggrin.png Every death would mean everybody takes a drink and the controller was passed to the next person, every game over we had to finish our drinks.

Things started off well enough with me at the helm, Wave Ocean and it's Mach Speed section SOMEHOW done without loss of life as well as Dusty Desert and a close call with Silver and one part of White Acropolis, which had us in stitches laughing, but still no lives lost, it looked like this drinking game was going to be a dud.

Then Crisis City happened.

Crisis City took a while.

Crisis City made us drink quite alot of alcohol.

• Thumbs Up 2

If you're really good you may not run into any bugs or glitches.

I'm seeing you willfully pressing your hand over your eyes when you get to the part wall jumping part of the mach speed section. You know, the part where Sonic's wall-jumping animation doesn't play so he flies through the air in a frozen pose, facing straight down.

It's impossible to complete a playthrough of Sonic 06 without really obvious bugs and glitches. You can't even complete the first level without encountering some.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown

I'm seeing you willfully pressing your hand over your eyes when you get to the part wall jumping part of the mach speed section. You know, the part where Sonic's wall-jumping animation doesn't play so he flies through the air in a frozen pose, facing straight down.

That's not really a glitch, he just wasn't programmed to do the spinning animation when wall jumping in the mach speed sections. That's just part of the game being unfinished on a whole different issue.

That's not really a glitch, he just wasn't programmed to do the spinning animation when wall jumping in the mach speed sections. That's just part of the game being unfinished on a whole different issue.

You're right. That's actually worse than a glitch.

Fun fact: Sonic's wall-jump animation plays correctly in the mach speed sections in the trailer. So the programmers got it right at some point.

You're right. That's actually worse than a glitch.

Fun fact: Sonic's wall-jump animation plays correctly in the mach speed sections in the trailer. So the programmers got it right at some point.

lol

The game isn't a product that was rushed to be finished, it was genuinely just unfinished. It's a wonder that it's even completable.

lol

The game isn't a product that was rushed to be finished, it was genuinely just unfinished. It's a wonder that it's even completable.

Oh... I thought that us (Sonic Fans) were rushing them, which now disappoints me, because it appears they were simply that bad at making the game. No excuses. 

So.... What do you do on Xbox Live when you play o6?

Oh... I thought that us (Sonic Fans) were rushing them, which now disappoints me, because it appears they were simply that bad at making the game. No excuses. 

So.... What do you do on Xbox Live when you play o6?

1. No one rushed SEGA but themselves. They've said time after time they rushed it themselves and, as stated above, didn't even bother finishing it-- to get it out by the 2006 holiday season for the launch windows of both the 360 and PS3. It was simply terrible development.

2. 06 doesn't have any use for Live as far as I'm aware... then again, I don't have the 360 version-- I think I'm right, though. The only thing that even comes close to a use of that is the fact the game has achievements. That's it.

Edited by Yandere Amy

If there was one good thing this game gave us, indirectly as it may be:

That beat

That's Dizcrybe on the forums, in case you didn't know.

Freaking great thing that thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay then, so as you know, I recently bought Sonic 06 with the intent of seeing for myself just how bad the game really is. Thus, over the course of the completion of the main game (not going to finish any of the town missions TYVM), I'll be posting my thoughts on each episode in terms of gameplay, since we all know how atrocious the story is, and thus I believe that doesn't need any recaps. With that said, I'll start things off with the Sonic episode.

Wave Ocean: A very meh stage, nothing interesting or cheap. I found the transition between Sonic to Tails to be easy since I pretty much expect Tails to not be able to Homing Attack, and as a result find him to be slow, but nothing special otherwise. The mach speed section was at worst a mild nuisance due to the rather annoying little thing regarding the scripting for the ramp near the goal ring, and was at best forgettable.

Egg Cerberus: Forgettable boss, although I did somehow end up on the upper levels of the boss stadium when I was trying to homing attack his tail.

Dusty Desert: Eh...I really don't remember much about this level to be honest. I did like that there was some variety in the early parts of the level in regards to alternate routes, but the level sorta simmered down near the end.

Silver: Annoying if you get chain-grabbed by his Psychokinesis, otherwise not too hard (said the guy who lost nearly all of his lives on him).

White Acropolis: The boarding section was just bad programming, especially in regards to the jumping section, which caused me to die more times than I care to remember. Everything afterwards was pretty fun though, especially since figuring out how to cheese the level by taking advantage of the open space to dodge obstacles was enjoyable.

Crisis City: Boarding section was tolerable (no required jumping is a boon), and the stage, while heavily automated for many parts, is fairly simple enough. Mach speed section is shitstorm central, and I was surprised I didn't get killed by anything flying at me (unfortunately I cannot say the same for my jumping skills).

Flame Core: Forgettable, especially coming right after Crisis City. Did find a rather interesting thing where using the Spin Dash at a specific angle towards some dash panels can send you flying past a series of automated loops, either resulting in a pseudo-shortcut, or death. Knuckles was also really slow, ineffective as a fighter, and I may or may not have forgotten to actually hit the light balls on my way to the exit, so I had to backtrack.

Iblis Phase 2: REALLY DRAWN OUT BOSS. If I hadn't decided to just take the hit from the lava and homing attacked the light balls, I probably would have been old enough to have a mid-life crisis. Otherwise, really boring boss.

Radical Train: I have accidentally bounced to my death in this stage more times than I care to count (stupid gap between platform and conveyer belts), and the mach speed section was just plain stupid with the exploding trains (at least until someone told me to just hang near the side to avoid getting blown up. Whoops.).

Egg Genesis: Short but rather fun fight. Kinda had some trouble figuring out how to attack the underside since the Homing Attack seemed to come up short, but figured it out eventually.

Tropical Jungle:...I don't remember tbh. Didn't find anything too memorable about it.

Kingdom Valley: LOOONG stage, but I did like the many alternate routes. That being said, I had a rougher time transitioning to Silver's gameplay, due to the different method of fighting, but I'll get to that when I talk about characters. Kingdom Valley's mach speed section is forgettable compared to the previous ones.

Aquatic Base: Really linear, I died a lot in this stage, and FUCK THAT STUPID FLOATY BALL WALKING WITH LASERS SECTION! Why didn't I buy the Purple Gem for that part ;_;?

Egg Wyvern: Holy was this fight BORING! If I wasn't slowing down time to ensure I could see where the lasers were, or just for my own amusement, this fight would have been easily the dullest fight in existence...AND IT WAS!

Overall, most of the stages are forgettable, and the few that aren't are at best mildly annoying, or really irritating in specific parts.

Now characterwise in order of Best to Worst, I'd say it's Sonic, Silver, Tails and Knuckles.

Sonic is obvious due to his decent range with his homing attack, and gaining access to the gems gives him greater versatility compared to everyone else.

Silver was kind of iffy initially, since his primary method of attack (or getting what is needed in order for him TO attack) was on a trigger as opposed to a button. Once I got over that hurdle, I found that I liked throwing stuff at my enemies, even though I STILL think he needed a targeting reticule or something.

Tails was pretty meh overall, with his sudden loss of momentum being the only real thing against him, although I do wish he had his Tail Spin attack.

Knuckles was by far the worst of the bunch, with a limited attack range and a VERY slow movement speed. His gliding was fun for skipping stuff, but that doesn't help much when a lot of stuff is unskippable in the levels where he can be played. Quite sad really.

Overall, characters are so-so, with Knuckles suffering the worst of it.

I'll be posting the Silver Episode whenever I finish it, so keep your eyes on this topic if you feel like it.

Edited by Wonder ED
  • Thumbs Up 5

Knux and Tails are very strange cases, in that they have at least one similarly powerful attack (read: can one-shot anything that isn't a boss), but for reasons I suspect aren't entirely deliberate.

Tails's dummy rings can hit continuously as long as they're active, which is more than long enough to eradicate anything they fall inside, but the box itself does little, if any damage, and it can be detonated prematurely by the rings left behind from a previous shot. So in essence you only really have one shot, and if you screw that up, you end up with a complete clusterfuck of useless rings that somehow lands everywhere except for the motherfucker you were actually aiming for. Knux, meanwhile, has a lot of puny, short ranged attacks, like you say... except for the shockwave finisher on his standard combo, which hits multiple times for far, far longer than is necessary to kill even the biggest enemies in the game. Which if anything just pisses me off, because this is exactly what Chaos fucking Blast should've done.

In any case, good luck with Silver's Dusty Desert if you haven't already cleared it. You'll friggin' need it.

Rouge, Omega and Blaze all have potential 1H-KO moves as well, and only Rouge's is designed to work that way.

Oh this game... rotten to the core.

Okey dokey, so I just finished the Silver episode, and here are my thoughts overall:

Crisis City: Fun level, a good start imo for both Silver and Blaze. Plenty of crap to toss around, and doesn't feel like it drags itself out. I admit I am still a little bit iffy on the lack of a targeting reticule for Silver, and I found Blaze to be a little...off in terms of certain buttons, but I'll get to that when I talk about characters.

Iblis Phase 1: Overall average boss. His attacks were slow and predictable, and overall was an okay breather boss.

Tropical Jungle: This place has possibly one of the most confusing layouts of the entire Silver episode. I was focused 100%, and it took me a youtube video to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go. Also doesn't help that the place is bottomless pit central.

Wave Ocean: Little to no change from the previous versions, still meh.

Dusty Desert: First half wasn't too bad (although I kept falling into the Bomb Ball holes due to not being able to see them, and this is the beginning of the level mind you), but I gave up on the final ball puzzle in the latter half after about 4 failed attempts. Thank god for the door glitch! Amy Rose is pretty sub-par, but I did figure out how to use her. More on her later.

Sonic: Not hard at all. Being able to chain throw crap at him made this fight piss-easy. Although I did actually get Game Over-ed on this boss because I was aiming in the wrong direction once. Without any rings...yeah, it was a dumbass moment, sue me.

White Acropolis: Don't remember much about this level. Blaze section was short, and Silver Section was okay since I could just hover over everything.

Egg Genesis: Actually a tougher boss when using Silver. The missiles are pretty relentless, and I can never seem to dodge that laser attack. A bit more satisfying than the Sonic version IMO.

Radical Train: REALLY FORGETTABLE. Not much to say about this when there are no exploding trains involved.

Shadow: Pretty easy. Once again, Chain-throw shit for the win biggrin.png!

Aquatic Base: REALLY LONG, but frankly much less annoying than Sonic's version since Silver can just hover over a lot of stuff. Shadow is basically Sonic but with a multi-hitting homing attack. His section was too short for me to make a full judgement though, so more on that later.

Kingdom Valley: REALLY LONG...that's all. Oh, and Sonic is barely used at all, so no comment.

Flame Core: REALLY LONG, and I admit the no light cavern area caught me off guard a little. Overall not that hard.

Iblis Phase 3: I actually enjoyed this boss fight. The mechanics are simple and overall predictable, but the atmosphere really does make things feel pretty epic. Plus the boss looks pretty cool.

Overall, Silver's levels start off strong, kind of peter off in the middle, and sort of improves near the end, but the sheer length of the latter levels hold them back from becoming any better than Crisis City.

Now for the characters, from best to worst would be  Silver, Blaze = Shadow = Sonic, and Amy.

Silver, being the main character, is the one I end up being the most, and despite his low speed and initial hurdle with the lack of targeting and actually throwing stuff, I found him to be perfectly enjoyable. Admittedly his poor offenses outside of throwing stuff does hurt him a little, but overall it wasn't too bad.

The next three are all on the same level for a number of reasons. While I found Blaze to be a better overall attacker than Silver, I have a bit of an issue with the mapping of the attacks to certain buttons, namely that her aerial spin, homing attack, and ground flame attack are all mapped to the X button. Because of this, it is a guessing game for me as to whether I pulled off the right attack or not because the input comes from the same button, but requires different elevation and different times for the input, meaning that I could sometimes screw myself over using her. I like her double jump though.

Sonic would have easily dwarfed everyone here due to his versatility with his gems, but he is down here because the section he can be played in is too short for him to demonstrate these abilities to their fullest. Shadow is in a similar situation, but is admitted also held back by a lack of versatility. His multi-hitting homing attack is really his saving grace.

Amy unfortunately is absolute dead-last, and is worse off than even KNUCKLES. Her attack range is limited, her speed is slow, her invisibility is wonky and makes it hard to see her, and her double jump is completely gimped compared to Blaze's due to a low amount of forward momentum on the second jump. She wasn't frustrating to play as once I figured out where to position her, but it still doesn't excuse her shoddy gameplay.

Overall, Most are decent, but 3 are too underused to really make much of an opinion on, and the worst one needs a revamp.

ALRIGHTY THEN! I'll be covered the Shadow episode once I finish up with it, and hopefully Shadow getting more screentime will allow me to see if he is worth it.

Edited by Wonder ED
  • Thumbs Up 2

Dammit! It just isn't as fun hearing about other people go through Dusty Desert with Silver the first time when they know about the door glitch. I spent over thirty minutes in that corridor *sulk*

wait what

there's a door glitch?

You can fucking GLITCH through that door in Dusty Desert?

OF ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE WRONG WITH THIS GAME WHY WAS THIS THE ONE THING I NEVER KNEW ABOUT I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD I SPENT OVER HALF A GODDAMNED HOUR WATCHING BALLS GENTLY TUMBLE INTO HOLES AND EVEN NOW I STILL CAN'T FINISH IT CONSISTENTLY AAAAAAAAAGH

• Thumbs Up 6

wait what

there's a door glitch?

OF ALL THE THINGS THAT ARE WRONG WITH THIS GAME WHY WAS THIS THE ONE THING I NEVER KNEW ABOUT I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD I SPENT OVER HALF A GODDAMNED HOUR WATCHING BALLS GENTLY TUMBLE INTO HOLES AND EVEN NOW I STILL CAN'T FINISH IT CONSISTENTLY AAAAAAAAAGH

Ah, that sated my appetite.

• Thumbs Up 6

wait what

there's a door glitch?

I like that skipping the ball puzzle with a reasonable time gets you a Time Bonus of almost fifty thousand points, which is the S-rank requirement for every stage in the game.

The developer definitely expected the player to fail the ball puzzle at least a couple times.

I feel like Sonic Team reeeeally favoured Blaze over all the other Amigo characters. She plays better than them, is as fast as Sonic and has a bunch of attacks which WORK and are cool to look at. To this day, I'm stumped with all the stupid decisions they made with the rest. Tails throwing dummy rings, Amy turning invisible (WAT), half the characters being slowwww...it's like they didn't even bother to look back at games like SA2 and Sonic Heroes!

Ahhh, I remember the first time I played as Knuckles in Sonic 06...I was pissed.

ALRIGHT, For my 2400th post, here is the thoughts on the Shadow Episode!

White Acropolis: Overall a decent intro to both Shadow and Rouge. I am admittedly a little bit iffy on the vehicle part for destroying the searchlights, since they felt a little stiff, but otherwise meh. A little hint about the searchlights though: You can use your homing attack on the searchlights and if you time it good enough, you can actually get to the top of the searchlight like a platform (assuming you destroy the light beam first). Handy if you need a high perch to stand on.

Egg Cerberus: Is it just me, or is this version more competent compared to the Sonic version? He actually makes a beeline for Shadow, and his mechanics seem to actually work, considering when you homing attack his face, he gets stunned (although then again I never checked if this applied in the Sonic version). Overall, a surprisingly better version of the first boss.

Kingdom Valley: LONG LEVEL. The Rouge portion might have been far worse if I hadn't checked it up, but the fact that I was expected to find 3 rather SMALL keys in such a gigantic area was really dumb design, especially without any means to know where they are. Also, the hovercraft section was meh at best, and going slowly and shooting out the crumbling towers before you get there is the best way to avoid getting crushed.

Crisis City: Pretty decent level, not too hard.

Flame Core: Hoo boy was this level long! Rouge section is pretty much Knuckles section, except I actually remembered to hit the lights this time.

Iblis Phase 2: Still as dull as the first time you battled it.

Tropical Jungle: Kinda forgettable since Rouge can just glide over most of it.

Mephiles Phase 1: Boring fight. I collected a ring, then literally just stood still spamming my spinkick when the mini-Mephiles started attacking until my meter was full enough for a Chaos Boost. Introducing Omega in the middle of a boss fight was also not a good idea, since he fights VERY differently from Shadow.

Radical Train: MEH. Shadow's longer ranged homing attack was a double edged sword here, since the conveyer belt platforms were rather narrow. Nothing interesting about the train section, and the bike section was forgettable.

Silver: Piss-easy thanks to the environment and Shadow's longer ranged Homing attack.

Aquatic Base: By far the worst level due to the need to kill a large number of enemies that in previous levels could be avoided to some degree. Silver is Silver.

Wave Ocean: Just as boring as before, although they also added in a section that leads to absolutely nowhere in the second Shadow part. What was the point of that. Vehicles were meh in this part.

Dusty Desert: Long and tedious at times.

Mephiles Phase 2: Pretty dull. About as easy as the first version. Nice music though.

OVERALL: Most levels are pretty forgettable and not that well designed. Beginning was fun, but things declined overtime. Oddly enough, Shadow is the most involved in the plot as time goes on, but I'm not here to talk about that.

Characterwise from best to worst is Shadow, Omega, and Silver and Rouge being last.

Shadow is obvious due to his powerful homing attack and range, coupled with decent speed. His vehicles are tolerable at best and clunky at worst.

Omega is decent but kind of lacking in power IMO. His hover is VERY helpful, especially for preventing death by pit.

Rouge is meh at best. Her bombs are not awful, but I wish she had her spin kick from SA2.

Silver's section was too short to make him useful, so little to say about him.

Overall: My personal feeling for the Shadow episode is that most of the characters used aren't bad, but the levels they were to be played in did not do a good job of showing off their strengths, either being too linear and tedious for gameplay mechanics to be fully enjoyed, or too open-ended and lacking direction to really care. Also, vehicles were meh at best.

Last episode may or may not be posted on its own, or just fused together with this post, but it is coming soon!

Edited by Wonder ED
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to say that I'm surprised that you're just now playing the game after all this time. :lol:

I have to say that I'm surprised that you're just now playing the game after all this time. laugh.png

Well before I didn't have any interest because of the cost. Then I found eBay, and figured I might as well get it with Sonic Colors (need to finish this as well so I can post my full opinion on it).

Alright! The Last Episode!

END OF THE WORLD!

Tails: easy due to flying. However, can be a little disorienting if you don't pay attention to WHERE you fly.

Omega: easy due to flying.

Knuckles: EXTREMELY JERKISH due to steady drop while hovering, and dickish instadeath balls if you don't hit the lights.

Silver: Kinda hard due to his low speed, which makes it hard to dodge the instadeath balls. Don't try to hover while near them or hover only when they haven't spawned!

Rouge: Fairly easy if you go to the top of the rocks and glide down to the emerald.

Amy: Fairly hard due to low speed, lack of forward momentum with the second jump, and poor offensive ability.

Shadow: Fairly easy due to his speed and the level not being as dickish.

OVERALL: Half easy, half a pain.

Solaris Phase 1: Kinda confusing initially if you don't get the mechanics that well. Otherwise, pretty straightforward. Silver does decently here.

Solaris Phase 2: Incredibly hard to use Silver here, stick with Shadow and Sonic. Easy otherwise.

OVERALL: Fairly easy fight, although the change in mechanics can be irritating.

Welp, that's the end of that. Overall, my opinion on this game is that while it is definitely poorly designed, it isn't unplayable and it is possible to get enjoyment out of it. I'll go into more detail later, but for a game that is so infamous, I was honestly expecting it to be unplayable.