Awoo.

Your most detested/hated films

Oh I know that, I was just kidding, you have all the write to ask, and I hope my answer was in the right place. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't turning against you, just wanted to hear your reasoning is all! happy.png

Same here. I know a lot of people dislike Twilight but its rarer to encounter someone who doesn't like Lord Of The Rings so I was curious as to why you don't enjoy it.smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually like you, I know some people who don't like Twilight, you find most of them not so interested in vampire stories and such.

As for Lord of the Rings, I don't know many, but my brother is one of the people who don't like it like me, and for me, it's like almost every time I tell someone that I don't like it, they get strangely surprised like "You don't like Lord of the Rings?! LORD OF THE RINGS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How? Why??" xD

Many of my friends think that I have a good taste in movies, that's why they get shocked when they know it.

I saw a film called 'White Chicks' with some friends. This is going back a few years now, so I don't remember all the details about the film, except that it was one I've the worst film I've been stuck watching. Stupid characters acting over-the-top trying to be funny, quite a lot of racism too I think, and to top it off constant toilet humor. The people I watched it with thought it was hilarious though, maybe it's just not my sort of humor tongue.png. Either way it was embarrassing to watch.  

Also, I don't want to see 'Grease' ever again. An old friend from school was obsessed with this film, she used to watch it every time I stayed over and would always sing the songs. Not only that but the amount of times we've had to watch this film at school (they would play films just before the Christmas break or summer holidays) The songs also pop-up on every family party/disco too. >.<. 

Edited by Guest

I saw a film called 'White Chicks' with some friends. This is going back a few years now, so I don't remember all the details about the film, except that it was one I've the worst film I've been stuck watching. Stupid characters acting over-the-top trying to be funny, quite a lot of racism too I think, and to top it off constant toilet humor. The people I watched it with thought it was hilarious though, maybe it's just not my sort of humor tongue.png. Either way it was embarrassing to watch. 

I remember this movie had some funny scenes but it was really annoying too.

It is directed by Keenen Ivory Wayans, produced by Keenen Ivory, Shawn and Marlon Wayans, as they (Shawn and Marlon) starred in it, taking the roles of the twin guys. Well, the Wayans Brothers are known to produce parodies like Dance Flick and Scary Movie, many people (me included) may find these movies offensive in some ways, or racist like you said, I wouldn't recommend most people to watch such movies.

Oddly I love Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back despite it having some similar themes. I dunno, I just didn't think it was that funny and the more people around me enjoyed it the more I questioned our society's values.

HEY KIDS, IT'S MARK HAMILL!

Edited by PSI Aqua

man-on-a-ledge-poster.jpg

Fuck this movie. Seriously, just... fuck this movie. I went to go watch it with some of my buddies and thought the title sounded neat, but I didn't have any expectations beyond that. That being said, this is one of the few times I was flat-out angry walking out of the theater. This movie just pisses me off. 

It takes a full hour for the plot to really get going, as everything before that is build-up, exposition, and (literally) stalling for time. You have to sit through half an hour of a cop pleading to the man not to jump of the building, getting into some philosophical dribble between the two, and trying to create drama revolving around the man's psyche and reason for jumping. Problem - we already know he isn't going to jump. Jesus. The movie shows us that the whole suicide attempt is just a diversion for something else entirely; two of the man's friends are breaking into the building next to his to try and steal some diamond or something. Because of this, all the attempted drama is completely pointless, as there's no tension at all and the audience knows full-well that he's simply stalling. He's not wasting the cops' time, he's wasting my time. And the filmmakers know this. More than half the movie is stalling

Then the plot picks up about an hour and twenty minutes in, I think. This is where it stops being really boring and simple and becomes convoluted and stupid as fuck. I don't even know what I watched in the last half hour. They're stealing a diamond from some guy who has a vendetta against them because they tried stealing something before but he caught them and he's a rich bastard so he...? I don't even know. All I remember is thinking it was dumb. 

Also all the characters are bland and boring, with the most offensive one being Boobs, played by Genisis Rodriguez. No, not her actual name. No, I don't remember her name. She was there for sex appeal and that's really it. Awesome. Grade A film-making.

I'm not going to waste my time telling anyone why I hate these movies. They are just crap and should never be watched or have high expectations about them...

Melancholia.

The Strangers.

Cloverfield.

Skyline. 

If you're not going to explain your choices then you're just making a list, and that constitutes as spam which is against the rules. So expand upon your choices if you're going to post further.

(As a fan of both The Strangers and Cloverfield, I'm personally curious as to why you deem them crap anyway.)

Oh, scratch my last post. I know one I definitely detest: Napoleon Dynamite 

Holy shit, what made this garbage so popular? The characters are shitty, the plot is all over the place (Was there even a plot? I didn't finish the whole thing) and the humor is so low-brow that it's cringeworthy.

Hate that fucking movie.

I find it really funny and I don't know there is something about the film that I find appealing its definitely a Marmite film. smile.png

You should probably watch Firefly before you watch the film. Just saying...

No thank you, the characters were bad enough to put up with, I don't want to watch a series of that garbage.

Since someone has brought up the idea of our most 'detested' movies, there's a movie I'd like all the world to know how much I literally detest... And all other worlds that (if) existed..!

Death Note!!!

For GOD's SAKE! Why the hell would they even make that freaking movie if they didn't have the potential? You rarely see fans asking for a Live-Action movie based on an anime, which means they didn't have to, but yet they did, and it was totally pointless... All parts! And why wouldn't L die? Not only that they ruined the characters, but also the plot itself, they changed the story making less deaths appear, it's not like Death Note is for kids! If L didn't die then the story is freaking ruined!

The only good thing in that movie was the few 3D models, we all know how the Japanese rock at these stuff, but they have to accept the fact that acting is not the thing for them.

Let's take a look at these:

death-note-3.jpg

RaitoLightYagami21.jpgurl0.jpeg

Somebody PLEASE tell me, where's the resemblance? Other than the shape of the face.

They ruined their attitude, their looks, even their charm. You find one of the characters gazing away, but their face almost has no expression at all, it seems more like a school play.

Now I want to know if this looks like the real (and when I say the real I mean the anime) Misa in ANY way!

url13123124.jpegMisa_Amane-c.jpg

Let's not forget... That the characters' voices in the movie are not even close to the voice actors' voices.

Did I forget something....? Did they ruin something else that I haven't mentioned yet...?!

Let's not forget... That the characters' voices in the movie are not even close to the voice actors' voices.

....maybe it's got something to do with them being.....different actors?

Edited by Jake Bird
  • Thumbs Up 2

So it seems I may have been a bit brief on my movie choices and I should've discussed them more. I apologise. So here goes...

Cloverfield: I didn't like this movie simply because I think I expected too much. It was great camera work, with the whole hand held camera style, but I feel a bit ripped off because you couldn't really see the monster at all. I mean, how hard could it be for someone to record the thing properly? That'd be one of the first things I'd try to document on video! 

Melancholia: This movie gave me a headache. I expected a good, end of the world type movie but instead got a weird and awkward wedding for the first half and a cool 10 seconds at the end when you see the world explode. Definitely a disappointment. 

In my original post I wrote The Strangers but actually meant When A Stranger Calls. This movie is a remake, and a bad one at that. I feel like the movie is meant to keep you in suspense the whole way through it but I really just found it quite boring. And I for one, would leave the house the instant I found out the murderer was calling me from within the house. 

Skyline: I feel that this movie kind of just started and finished too quickly. I think they may have been able to make a good franchise of this if they had spread it out into 2 or 3 movies with more of a better and more interesting storyline! 

I am quite surprised at how many people dislike Nicholas Cage! I like him, especially in Con Air and Lord Of War. Also, the movie UP is a fantastic movie in my opinion! 

....maybe it's got something to do with them being.....different actors?

If you wanted to make a live-action movie, you should choose actors that look like the original to an acceptable point, and if their voices were different, the actors should rehearse and try to copy the original voices to an acceptable point...

Really I don't see the point in pointing out something obvious, it's not much different from saying: "You're stupid you don't even know this fact." just saying.

Anyway, if you like this movie, find another way to prove my points wrong (if they were).

Oh and let's not forget that I said "are not even close", I never said they had to be identical because most of the times it's impossible, it's not like this is the only live-action movie that I know, I know some other movies that at least some of the characters' voices looked so similar to the original.

They don't even have to be 'similar', but when I see an evil person with an evil voice, I should expect that the actor they'll choose will be able to perform the evil tone, even if the voice was 'not even close'. When I see a teenager girl like Misa with a rather young voice replaced with what seemed to me like a very annoying demon when she shouted, that voice causes my ears to bleed (not literally), but it's annoying to HELL.

The only voice that worked in there was Ryuk's voice... The reason for that is obvious.

Edited by Mysterious X

Since someone has brought up the idea of our most 'detested' movies, there's a movie I'd like all the world to know how much I literally detest... And all other worlds that (if) existed..!

Death Note!!!

For GOD's SAKE! Why the hell would they even make that freaking movie if they didn't have the potential? You rarely see fans asking for a Live-Action movie based on an anime, which means they didn't have to, but yet they did, and it was totally pointless... All parts! And why wouldn't L die? Not only that they ruined the characters, but also the plot itself, they changed the story making less deaths appear, it's not like Death Note is for kids! If L didn't die then the story is freaking ruined!

The only good thing in that movie was the few 3D models, we all know how the Japanese rock at these stuff, but they have to accept the fact that acting is not the thing for them.

Let's take a look at these:

death-note-3.jpg

RaitoLightYagami21.jpgurl0.jpeg

Somebody PLEASE tell me, where's the resemblance? Other than the shape of the face.

They ruined their attitude, their looks, even their charm. You find one of the characters gazing away, but their face almost has no expression at all, it seems more like a school play.

Now I want to know if this looks like the real (and when I say the real I mean the anime) Misa in ANY way!

url13123124.jpegMisa_Amane-c.jpg

Did I forget something....? Did they ruin something else that I haven't mentioned yet...?!

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually consider the live-action Death Note movies to be my favourite iteration of the franchise.

So what if the characters don't look and sound identical to their hand-drawn, flanderised counterparts? Do you know how weird it would look having the anime voices come out of ordinary people? Also, Light has far better characterisation in the movies; rather than the much-overused Death Note cliche of 'bored genius', he actually has a good reason to hate crime and want criminals dead to the extent he does; as a law student, seeing so many criminals let off the hook frustrates the hell out of him and makes him wonder what the hell he's even studying for if the justice system is so flawed and corrupt.

I personally prefer the movies for just telling a much more concise, better-paced version of what is essentially the same story. They cut out all the stuff that was slow and unnecessary and put their own unique twist on it, which, in my opinion, is better than the manga or anime version of events. 

Also, did you even watch the movies? L does die. And it's handled a hell of a lot better than it is in the anime or manga.

He writes his own name in the Death Note to make himself immune to any further attempts to do so by Light.

As for films I hate? GoldenEye. The World is not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies. Just... ugh.

They were the only three Bond films I ever saw (due to my ex being a die-hard fan), and quite frankly one was too many. It's a sham, because I hear they've genuinely improved since Daniel Craig stepped in, but I've been too jaded by the franchise to ever give it another chance.

I just found the Brosnan ones I saw almost mindless, intellectually-insulting pieces of barely-plot that were little more than excuses for shit to blow up and for Bond to have sex with as many women per movie as he could fit in. They were painful to watch.

Edited by -Mark-
  • Thumbs Up 3

If you wanted to make a live-action movie, you should choose actors that look like the original to an acceptable point, and if their voices were different, the actors should rehearse and try to copy the original voices to an acceptable point...

Really I don't see the point in pointing out something obvious, it's not much different from saying: "You're stupid you don't even know this fact." just saying.

Anyway, if you like this movie, find another way to prove my points wrong (if they were).

Oh and let's not forget that I said "are not even close", I never said they had to be identical because most of the times it's impossible, it's not like this is the only live-action movie that I know, I know some other movies that at least some of the characters' voices looked so similar to the original.

They don't even have to be 'similar', but when I see an evil person with an evil voice, I should expect that the actor they'll choose will be able to perform the evil tone, even if the voice was 'not even close'. When I see a teenager girl like Misa with a rather young voice replaced with what seemed to me like a very annoying demon when she shouted, that voice causes my ears to bleed (not literally), but it's annoying to HELL.

The only voice that worked in there was Ryuk's voice... The reason for that is obvious.

I didn't particularly love the movie, thought it was ok at best, I just disagree with your opinions on the characters. I've never read the manga or seen the anime mind you but i don't see that it matters because the film is a different thing. No actor is going to look like a manga character because manga characters look unrealistic, the actors in the film look close enough in my opinion, don't see what else they could have done really....

As for the voices, as pointed out before, the characters don't have voices in the original itteration anyway. Both the anime and film are adaptations. They're gonna be different and there's no reason for the actors to copy the anime...

Also, IIRC, the movies (at least the first one) actually came before the anime anyway, or at least started production before. 

I think it's far more important for the casting agency to choose actors who can play the part over looking the part. Whether a character resembles its source material is irrelevant in my eyes (unless it's plot relevant); if the actors can interpret the characters in their own way that manages to capture the spirit, even if it's not identical, then they're doing a good job if you ask me.

When the film trilogy for 20th Century Boys came out, one of its advertising components was how much the actors looked like their manga counterparts. Without really taking into account their acting talent or how much they suit the roles in any way other than looking like them. And guess what? Everyone hated the movies. It doesn't matter how much they look or sound like the original characters. Fact of the matter is that they can still act like complete horseshit and the movie can be a complete dud no matter how much it touts itself to be faithful to the source material. An adaptation should focus on maintaining the spirit of the original, not copying every detail about it, and it ought to make enough changes as it sees fit in order to properly format it for the film medium.

I'm really tired right now so sorry for the shit post.

Also, I don't want to see 'Grease' ever again. An old friend from school was obsessed with this film, she used to watch it every time I stayed over and would always sing the songs. Not only that but the amount of times we've had to watch this film at school (they would play films just before the Christmas break or summer holidays) The songs also pop-up on every family party/disco too. >.<.

I was trying to think of a movie I really hated enough to post in here, and you found it for me. Now I really hate the term "overrated", but that's honestly what I think of Grease. It's not a remarkable musical at all. The plot isn't interesting, the characters aren't either and the music is more annoying than anything else. And yet, it's deemed a classic, or even the greatest musical of all time by some. It's not an offensively bad film, it's just something that I've grown to find unbearable.

Oh actually, the way they tried to pass off actresses in their 30s as teenagers was offensive. 

1161867258_pink_ladies.jpg

Edited by Blue Blood

So what if the characters don't look and sound identical to their hand-drawn, flanderised counterparts? Do you know how weird it would look having the anime voices come out of ordinary people?

Of course it is, but live-Misa's voice is still annoying to hell.

Also, Light has far better characterisation in the movies; rather than the much-overused Death Note cliche of 'bored genius', he actually has a good reason to hate crime and want criminals dead to the extent he does; as a law student, seeing so many criminals let off the hook frustrates the hell out of him and makes him wonder what the hell he's even studying for if the justice system is so flawed and corrupt.

I personally prefer the movies for just telling a much more concise, better-paced version of what is essentially the same story. They cut out all the stuff that was slow and unnecessary and put their own unique twist on it, which, in my opinion, is better than the manga or anime version of events.

I find myself inclined to disagree, every time Light gazed away thinking of solutions and such, he looked like one of my amateur friends trying to act in a rather failure school play, that's as an actor.

As a character, I see you pointed that he looked through things from a somehow different perspective than the anime, with all my respect (to you not the freaking movie), this is one of the reasons that made me hate it more and more, because personally I loved almost every bit of the anime, any change in the movie could drive me crazy.

You think that it's better if Light has some more convincing reasons to hate crimes and all, while on my end, I think that the way he wanted to kill every criminal even for the smallest deeds, is what made the anime interesting, because in the end he's the evil one and the police should get him arrested to realize justice, also note the idea that he wanted to become "The God of the New World", while he was killing people for trivial mistakes.

Also, did you even watch the movies? L does die. And it's handled a hell of a lot better than it is in the anime or manga.

He writes his own name in the Death Note to make himself immune to any further attempts to do so by Light.

Whoops! Sorry, I forgot to mention that I only watched some scenes from Part I, and I will never ever watch the rest... Unless provoked, I don't know, maybe when I find that I have no better things to do (which is very unlikely) I might watch them.

I've been told by someone who watched at least most them that he never died, and that he wrote his name and all, but also they told me that there was a third part starring L with his quest to defeat an unleashed disease... Or some crap like that... I don't know if that's even true, but so I've been told.

I didn't particularly love the movie, thought it was ok at best, I just disagree with your opinions on the characters. I've never read the manga or seen the anime mind you but i don't see that it matters because the film is a different thing. No actor is going to look like a manga character because manga characters look unrealistic, the actors in the film look close enough in my opinion, don't see what else they could have done really....

As for the voices, as pointed out before, the characters don't have voices in the original itteration anyway. Both the anime and film are adaptations. They're gonna be different and there's no reason for the actors to copy the anime...

Well, I agree on almost every word, but still, for an anime to be made based on a manga, its would be very much easier for the characters to have the same attitudes and facial expressions, which I couldn't see clear in the movie, I'll never change my mind that Japaneses are awful actors, I'm not intending to insult them in any way, I'm just stating my opinion.

Also, IIRC, the movies (at least the first one) actually came before the anime anyway, or at least started production before. 

Looks like I was unwary about this fact... Sorry for that!

So copying that voices in any way was clearly... Impossible. Sheesh.

On a personal note, I still prefer the anime, I still hate the movie

I think you're forgetting that the Death Note characters didn't even have voices in the original version of the story.

That's a good point on your behalf thank you, but you're making it look like voices are our only concern. xD

I think it's far more important for the casting agency to choose actors who can play the part over looking the part. Whether a character resembles its source material is irrelevant in my eyes (unless it's plot relevant); if the actors can interpret the characters in their own way that manages to capture the spirit, even if it's not identical, then they're doing a good job if you ask me.

When the film trilogy for 20th Century Boys came out, one of its advertising components was how much the actors looked like their manga counterparts. Without really taking into account their acting talent or how much they suit the roles in any way other than looking like them. And guess what? Everyone hated the movies. It doesn't matter how much they look or sound like the original characters. Fact of the matter is that they can still act like complete horseshit and the movie can be a complete dud no matter how much it touts itself to be faithful to the source material. An adaptation should focus on maintaining the spirit of the original, not copying every detail about it, and it ought to make enough changes as it sees fit in order to properly format it for the film medium.

I'm really tired right now so sorry for the shit post.

Once again I say, I never thought that copying 'every detail' was required, and I do agree on the "actors who can play the part" part, but it's not like actors were really good in Death Note, in my opinion, they weren't close to the original, and they weren't good actors at the same time! So, they lost two points from the beginning (in my opinion, again).

Before I even saw the first part of the movie I lent it to a friend saying that "even if it's only the first part, the story is awesome, watch it, if you like it I'll give you the anime" a week or two later my friend brought it back to me saying that they couldn't complete it, they didn't see more than a third of it, I was confused as to why... Until I saw it myself.....

In the end I say, I'm free to choose which movie should I hate, so even if you prove me wrong (which just seems to have happened several times), that will never change the fact the I freaking hate all parts of the freaking Death Note movie to freaking hell!!

Most hated movie? None other than this piece of garbage:

g9cEPoF.jpg

This movie...where do I even begin? It's an insult to the Lion King series as a whole, it was so fucking awful. It was bad enough Timon and Pumbaa stole the show with both the original and the sequel, must they continue to destroy even more stuff with their own movie as well? It's even worse that it was called "Lion King 3" in some countries, this movie doesn't deserve that title!

I think I liked that movie, yeah some parts of it were really annoying, but as a whole... It's a revelation movie, it's not like you didn't want to know how Timon and Pumbaa met the first time, maybe they could've told us the story in a Hakuna Matata episode, but that cartoon was supposed to be humorous, there won't be much humor if they revealed the story a few episodes.

But yeah, if you want to say that usually a third revelation movie should add up to its prequels, or be even better, then yes you're right, it's hard to make the best out of a third movie. I do think it was nothing like the Lion King 1 and 2.

As for films I hate? GoldenEye. The World is not Enough. Tomorrow Never Dies. Just... ugh.

They were the only three Bond films I ever saw (due to my ex being a die-hard fan), and quite frankly one was too many. It's a sham, because I hear they've genuinely improved since Daniel Craig stepped in, but I've been too jaded by the franchise to ever give it another chance.

I just found the Brosnan ones I saw almost mindless, intellectually-insulting pieces of barely-plot that were little more than excuses for shit to blow up and for Bond to have sex with as many women per movie as he could fit in. They were painful to watch.

If I cloud reach out of your Computer screen I would slap in the face with a wet fish!  

Seriously though if you genuinely don't like then that's fine. smile.png  

Also what is with people hating Movies their Ex's liked it makes you sound really bitter?

• Thumbs Up 2

In regards to Light being 'evil', I think that's another reason I prefer the live-action movies, too; 

See, at least initially (and arguably overall), whether Light is actually 'evil' is largely debatable. Light started out killing criminals. Granted, he ends up killing people over smaller and smaller offences, but initially most of the innocent people Light kills are as a result of the police trying to stop him. If nobody intervened, Light wouldn't have so readily killed innocent people.

I always cringe when I see the cliched 'brilliant but bored' tagline attached to Light. It just makes him seem like such a shallow douchebag. At least in the movies he has a genuine motivation that you can empathise with and understand. 

As for the third 'L: Change the World' movie, that's essentially filler that they retconned into the last week of the second movie, set before L's death. As a result I've not even bothered to watch it since it adds absolutely nothing and is an in-name-only piece of the Death Note story.

I do just think it's a bit unfair for you to slag the movies off so harshy having barely seen one of them, is all. Of course you're entitled to hate something, but it's not really fair to hate it at little more than face value, is all.