Awoo.

Words That You Try to Avoid?

Tani Coyote

I hate using the word "troll", especially with how constantly misused it is, and how juvenile of a term it is in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate using the word "troll", especially with how constantly misused it is, and how juvenile of a term it is in general.

While I still use the term sometimes, I do agree that the meaning of the word has pretty much devolved into, "I don't like what you're saying. YOU'RE TROLLING ME!!!11!!11!1!1!" It's pathetic.

Now, unless you're Komodin and have made that your catchphrase - to which you get a free pass - I absolutely loathethat word. In my eyes, if you can only bring yourself to say "Meh" when discussing something, then what's the point of commenting in the first place if you couldn't be bothered to make a simple sentence? All it does is pointlessly ruin everyone else's fun.

Does "I really don't care about this thing at all" sound better?

Edited by Big McLargehuge
  • Thumbs Up 2

I personally believe it would sound more respectable, yes.

I know it might be a chore to say various phrases like that if you're a mostly indifferent person, but you could at least try.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, and relating to that, one phrase I don't really like to use when expressing distress is "losing hope for humanity" or "lost hope in humanity" and so on. Again, it displays massive egocentricity to me. When did you suddenly become the all-powerful judge of the race that can do good and bad?

I'll admit... I use to be one of those people.  Lately, though, I've been seeing that those who are constantly abuse that statement are really not much smarter or better than anyone else.  They only think they are, and like you said, it's a great display of egocentricity.  It's the same as when people constantly gripe about how everyone they communicate with on a daily basis is a total moron.  It's okay when people occasionally say that as a means of venting, but I can speak from first-hand experience that people who constantly feel the need to undermine the intelligence of others, especially people they hardly or don't even know, are not only not that smart (or at least not that smart by comparison) but are also incredibly socially awkward.  It's a geek's way of justifying their own social inadequacies.

That being said, I understand that there are plenty of stupid people in the world, but treating yourself as an exception only makes you sound like an uneducated tool and furthermore limits your happiness.  Now that I've learned to give people a chance and not jump the gun in judging people based on their intellect, I've found that my ability to learn and socialize has dramatically improved.  Furthermore, I find myself actually enjoying life a little more.  That's not to say there aren't times of stress and depression, but it's a lot easier now that I don't convince myself that I'm alone in a world where only I have sense and decency.

I mainly try to avoid offensive terms whether it be to someone's sexual preference, race, beliefs, or anything else like that. Basically, I strictly keep myself away from calling something "gay" just because I disagree with it, I never refer to anyone as a "downy" or "retarded" as others do, and I utterly refuse to ever use the n-word.

On a less serious note, I don't like to use words spread around through the use of memes or pop culture, more so when they are overused, which ends up going hand in hand with them being MISused. These words include "epic" or "awkward". Just because a room gets quiet for 2-3 seconds doesn't mean someone needs to comment "Wow..that just got awkward." No. It really didn't. Not at one point in that short silence did the situation become uncomfortable or embarrassing. It just got quiet.

There's also the usage of stuff like "troll" and, although it's not word and more like a short phrase, usage of "that moment when.." (Which sometimes has "awkward" in the middle of it, also misused, of course.)

Other stuff like "me gusta" when it's not a conversation in Spanish and the usage of "le" also bother me. Basically, if it's offensive or stupidly used by people incorrectly in failed attempts at comedy, I stay away from it.

Edited by krazystitch

I'm just going to say on the topic of "epic" being misused, I can respect and understand your opinions on the matter, but I see it more as the development of a new slang term as opposed to a misusage of the word.  I don't see anyone getting upset because people use the word "cool" even if something isn't believed to be of a lower temperature, or the word "tight" even though it doesn't pertain to something restrictive in nature.  "Epic" to me is just a new way of saying "cool" or "tight."  Nothing more, nothing less.

But that's just my opinion, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't stand when people describe themselves as "Random" "Crazy" Insane" "Mental" "quirky" or anything like that so I avoid using them myself.

You've made me feel uneasy now... I'm just kidding happy.png. I wouldn't describe myself as crazy (my nickname, is just a nickname, that's all.)

Edited by KrazyBean

I don't like using the N word, especially in my neck of the woods.

Same. I could just never bring myself to say it. Out loud, at least.

Oh, and relating to that, one phrase I don't really like to use when expressing distress is "losing hope for humanity" or "lost hope in humanity" and so on. Again, it displays massive egocentricity to me. When did you suddenly become the all-powerful judge of the race that can do good and bad?

Yeah I really hate this one too, it's always overused whenever some terrible news article or something is posted. God damn.

I'm a little guilty of saying that I feel like I'm the only sane man half the time, but that is rarely to do with intelligence, it's usually to do with my strict moral honour code bullshit I've got going on when some people just act so immorally and with utter disregard of other people.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I avoid 'ladies' and other sexist terms.

The word "lady" or "ladies" in a general sense isn't really sexist and can actually be a compliment depending on the context.  If used properly, it can refer to a female with refined tastes and behavior, which is hardly a bad thing.  When it's used in a sleazy, flirtatious way, then it becomes sexist.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like how others have said, anything that's derogatory in a racial, sexist, or homophobic manner. Both on the internet and in real life. Same with insults-as extremely funny as I can find some to be (especially of those with swears-I dunno, insults + swears = some very funny stuff IMO), I try to avoid at all costs on both accounts.

As for swears, I personally am not bothered too much by them, but nonetheless it's only under extremely rare circumstances. I'm somewhat less lenient on the internet, but I still try to avoid them, especially when in debates amongst others. Although when you need to make a point they can be very effective when used correctly.

Edited by ModernHentaiQuillFan

I cannot stand use of the words "Baby" or "Babe" in reference to a partner. It's so smulzy and unlikeable. I also dislike adult women referred-to as "Girl" and will not refer to any adult woman as "girl".

I also do not nickname IRL. I will call you by your complete name. My sister's name is "Jackalyn" not "Jacky", My cousin's name is "Sabrina" not "Beano" and I despise being referred to as "Laur" because I feel that it....underlines my hated name even more. I do nickname my cats and Yorkies though 'cos they're cute :P I do not use the term "Dad" or "Father" because I despise my birth father and he's never really acted like a proper father to truly justify the term regardless of his contribution to my conception.

I strongly dislike the word "Cripple"/"Crippled". Gratuitous swearing not caused by something genuinely angering is disliked for the reason that it makes you look easily provoked and looks immature as a result.

Edited by Vertekins

A lot of what's been said in this thread is what I agree with basically. But above all that..... SWAG and YOLO. Seriously. screw those words.

Display of internet culture outside the internet. Things like saying "I'm such a troll", saying "lol" instead of laughing, using memes and fads, internet phrases and terms ("dat", "herp derp", "ermagerd", "forever alone"), etc. Hearing people do that is excessively irritating and even awkward because it feels extremely out of place in the real world. I believe that's because the internet, being a completely different cultural platform, needs equally different social patterns to fit it; which then doesn't fit on face-to-face interaction.

• Thumbs Up 7

I am surrounded by rednecks.

No, I don't think you understand, I encounter platitudes of Southern vernacular on a daily basis. "Y'all" and "ain't" and "fixin'" (as in, "I'm fixing to leave, y'all want some chewin' terbaccer?") are especially abundant. I have nothing against those who use these terms, but I promised myself a long time ago that I would never talk like that. I've left home a lot lately for college shit, so I've gone to places where these accents are pretty much nonexistant. Which is nice.

A strange quirk of mine is that whenever I get really pissed off, I just randomly start speaking with the most hilariously fitting Southern accent you've ever heard. So, it's not so much that I avoid certain words, I just want to avoid the accent that I grew up hearing.

The f word the s word and racist remarks for me

...How can do words that are respectively slang for "sex" and "poop" be racist?

Edited by Felix

...How can do words that are respectively slang for "sex" and "poop" be racist?

I think he/she was saying that he didn't like to use those words AS WELL as racial slurs, not that they were.  I think what he or she meant to say: "The F. and S. words as well as remarks that have a racist connotation are words that I, personally, tend to avoid."

While I'm not adverse to swearing in general, and thus do it myself, I do tend to avoid more of the 'hardcore' swear words, such as the 'f' word. I do end up saying the 's' word quite a lot, making it the one exception.

Racial slurs, derogatory terms based on Sexual Orientation, the usual stuff you really shouldn't say depending on the context.

I find myself saying "Fuck" pretty often, but that's really when I type. I actually don't curse too much IRL unless I'm just that irritated at something. I do usually say "Damn" tho'.

One word I'm really trying to avoid using off and on the Net, is Overrated.

I'm starting to grow a huge dislike for that word. It just feels like, to me, that someone is just irked because a lot of people like what they don't. Sure it's fine you don't like it. Doesn't mean that the people that do are "overrating" it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Online, I outright avoid terms derogatory to race, sexual orientation, and the word "retarded" in casual conversation. Most gendered insults like "bitch" and "dick," however, are on the table, with "cunt" being the only exception mainly because I find it just a weird word to use and write. xP Generic swearing- Damn, hell, shit, fuck- are also personally allowable.

Real life is roughly the same as the above, but only with a few very close friends. With my college friends and associates, the worst I'll say around them is "damn" or "hell," because that's generally the kind of atmosphere I find at school. Any adults around, and I keep it cleaner than a Care Bears episode.

• Thumbs Up 1

I try not to curse at all. (I use freaking and frickin' A LOT) I guess it's just my old-fashioned attempt at being a gentleman. laugh.png

Edited by CC14 the Vipester

One word I'm really trying to avoid using off and on the Net, is Overrated.

I'm starting to grow a huge dislike for that word. It just feels like, to me, that someone is just irked because a lot of people like what they don't. Sure it's fine you don't like it. Doesn't mean that the people that do are "overrating" it.

Forgot about "overrated" in my other posts.  I try not to be hard on people who do use it, and I'll admit I've used it a lot in the past.  The same goes for underrated.  People like or dislike things for a reason, rather they're logical or not, and it's not because I'm the only person with commonsense.

That aside, not to get dramatic, but as a fan of Pony, I've learned first-hand that a show or other piece of media, such as a song or movie or comic or whatever, can have a significant impact on someone.  Even if it's not the most intelligent show, or the best-written show, or just plain something I don't like, a show can have a lot of value to someone.  To me, Pony is a show that has become sentimental and I realize that there are things out there that I despise that people feel the same way about.  Star Wars, for example.  I'm not a fan of Star Wars, but to some, it's not just a show, but something that gets them through the tough times, makes them feel happy when they're hurt, etc.  I know people don't mean it when they use the word "overrated" but when people begin to have that sort of attachment to something, it begins to feel like a personal like a personal attack.  It brings the idea into people's minds that not only do they not like the show, but they're questioning the merits of those that do.  So basically, I try to avoid the word "overrated" because who am I to say that my opinion is better?  There are many different reasons for liking something, and maybe the reasons they like it don't relate to the reasons I hate it.

That being said, I do think it's important that people should be able to handle constructive criticism towards something they like, even if they've grown attached to it.  Even non-constructive criticism, in fact.  People aren't going to like everything you're going to like, and that has to be something that people have to get used to.  As a personal example, again, I love Ponies.  But 99.8% of my friends do not.  I'm okay with that.  I don't even mind hearing "LOL THEY SHOULD ALL TURN THE PONIES INTO GLUE."  I'm perfectly okay with that.  What I hate is when people bring it up constantly.  It's like "If you don't like it, why do you always talk about it?"  But that's an argument best saved for another day.

• Thumbs Up 1