Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Back in the Unleashed/Colors/Generations hype days, it wasn't uncommon to see around 70 people reading a thread at once.

Dat chaos man. Demz was the days.

True, true...

And indeed, good times... good times...

• Thumbs Up 1

What the heck happened ohmy.png

You hear that? *crack*  It's already broken Sonic fanbase breaking even more.

Seriously? Let me do a recap. Someone said that if we buy these ports/remasters/remake/updates call it all you like, we will support something that is big and is suposed to be good for franchaise. Then other guys from Retro came here (Wut Retro guys here?) saying the same thing. Then everyone went hyphypehypehypehypehype! And now we are making "sides"? What? 

Only thing missing is something like "You are a traitor since you don't support it! Go to Hogfather faction"

Now for my opinion on this. Will I buy it? I dunno. Depends on quality, on how I feel etc. 

I don't think Retro is promoting this for money. But if they are excited about it then it sure means something that resembles classic games has something to do with this. And that's one of reasons I am not hyped at all. This franchaise needs to move on and using Retro engine for new 2D games won't help for sure, nor will the ports. Or maybe it's return of classic Sonic? Again hate the idea.

So for now I don't plan on buying but surprise me Taxman and this will go straight to my Android.

Edited by HUNTER297

As someone who's only other port of Sonic 1 owned is Sonic Classic Collection on DS, I would buy this. Personally, I would get this game since I would like to play this on a mobile device, not having multiple copies of this game, and me finding enjoyment of it and that's it.

...The one thing that prevents me from getting this remake is having a smartphone/said mobile device. Even then, I wouldn't buy this right away if I did, because of money issues, but I would down the line.

At the same time, I don't want to blindly follow that 'something great may happen' if is this is brought. If that support turns out for the better then it definitely deserves it. Adding onto that, if something 'great' does happen out of this, then I would say it's justified. I'll be happy for that fact members of the community did this for said community again..at least that's what I believe. For me, myself and I, I'll buy it for my sake.

So in short, I would get this, only concerning myself in doing so. If this sells well, and ends justifies the means in a beneficial way, then I'd personally believe it was worth it.

And I need to get Sonic CD 2011....was meaning to get that, just need the money...

Edited by TheChaosBlue

Hey guys, so I read all these wacky "hidden agenda" comments... where to begin hah.

No, Sonic Retro doesn't know anything that isn't already public knowledge. But it's no secret that I've championed the cause of improving the treatment of the Classic Sonic franchise. You can see this by simply comparing the iGenesis version of Sonic 1 (with its mismatched modern Sonic art, frame rate and sound quality etc) to Sonic CD (and this version of Sonic1 when some GDC footage perhaps surfaces).

I also have higher aspirations than being "the ports guy". All they're doing is (very kindly) supporting my work in the hopes that it'll lead to bigger things. Could that possibly be a brand new Sonic game? Another Sega venture? Or something totally unrelated?

Unfortunately, I can't give you that answer. I try to be as upfront as possible with fans, but game development is fraught with NDA and professional obligations.

Okay then, fair answer.

..............If I may ask, what was the point of all those Retro members showing up to strongly encourage us to purchase the game then? If they don't know stuff then what was the point other then to promote the great work of one of their own? Or was that the only purpose?

IDK anymore, all I know is that I will be supporting your efforts Taxman (EDIT: And Stealth) and buying both ports if they come to Xbox 360. If your Sonic CD 2011 port is anything to go by, they will both be awesome. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

The remastered soundtrack is really the only reason I would have for purchasing either of these games, and I'm sure it'll be up on Youtube eventually, so I'm passing. I already own the games via Mega Collection, Classic Collection, Steam, and the originals for the iPhone.

The 60 FPS is tantalizing, but I never cared for 1 & 2 so much as I did CD (which totally needed a gameplay quality boost, whereas Sonic 1 and 2 are fine by me as they are [barring the shitty iPhone versions]), so I don't see the need to purchase them. P:

Edited by D-Metal X

People are also dumb in assuming that I'd automatically make a 2D pixel art Sonic Game. I'm actually a lot more versatile that you would think tongue.png

The Retro Engine is just one of the things I've developed, even the menus for this upcoming game use another separate piece of tech I created. I make what I need in order to make what I want.

Edited by The Taxman
  • Thumbs Up 8

Come now, gentlemen, no need to draw lines in the sand! Whether you believe us or not, whether you're excited for the project or hesitant, no need to be at each other's throats. You're all welcome to believe what you want. In this case, time is the only factor that matters. We'll see how things play out.

Scarred Sun came into it saying that she knows stuff and to explain a couple fo things (not that I am disputing that or anything, I certainly trust her on this one) and people extrapolated it to mean most of Retro knows. Which isn't true. There's no Retro conspiracy, they're just bumbling their way trying to figure out what's going on like us most likely while the few who do know can't say anything anyway.

Sure, let's just go with that. v.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Come now, gentlemen, no need to draw lines in the sand! Whether you believe us or not, whether you're excited for the project or hesitant, no need to be at each other's throats. You're all welcome to believe what you want. In this case, time is the only factor that matters. We'll see how things play out.

Sure, let's just go with that. v.png

This is fun, isn't it...? :P

Hey guys, so I read all these wacky "hidden agenda" comments... where to begin hah.

No, Sonic Retro doesn't know anything that isn't already public knowledge. But it's no secret that I've championed the cause of improving the treatment of the Classic Sonic franchise. You can see this by simply comparing the iGenesis version of Sonic 1 (with its mismatched modern Sonic art, frame rate and sound quality etc) to Sonic CD (and this version of Sonic1 when some GDC footage perhaps surfaces).

I also have higher aspirations than being "the ports guy". All they're doing is (very kindly) supporting my work in the hopes that it'll lead to bigger things. Could that possibly be a brand new Sonic game? Another Sega venture? Or something totally unrelated?

Unfortunately, I can't give you that answer. I try to be as upfront as possible with fans, but game development is fraught with NDA and professional obligations.

Just want to say thank you for what you (and SEGA/Sonic Team) did with Sonic CD. It was a superb improvement over the original. I think it's fantastic that you and Stealth are going to give Sonic 1&2 a few really cool tweaks. I support you because I love those games so very much, and the prospect of playing a new version (I hope on PSN at some point) with nice enhancements is very appealing.

You clearly have real talent and I do hope you move on to bigger and better things (but not before we get S3&K tongue.png).

Gotta say it's really cool seeing all the retro guys and girls here.  

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 7

First of all, thank you for what you (and SEGA/Sonic Team) did with Sonic CD. It was a superb improvement over the original. I think it's fantastic that you and Stealth are going to give Sonic 1&2 a few really cool tweaks. I support you because I love those games so very much, and the prospect of playing a new version (I hope on PSN at some point) with nice enhancements is very appealing.

You clearly have real talent and I do hope you move on to bigger and better things (but not before we get S3&K tongue.png).

Gotta say it's really cool seeing all the retro guys and girls here.  

It's like a Melting Pot of Friendship up in here. (TCR reference)

I too hope for a PSN version. I'd be on that so bad.

Why do people here keep mentioning 60FPS on Sonic 1/2 like we never experienced such thing before?

I'm on the fence on purchasing this really. Don't like Sonic 1, Sonic 2 was meh. If this was S3&K (or even Sonic 3) I would give them my money. On the other hand if I see Amy...nah, I don't think that would happen.

So yeah, on the fence. Besides I rather play these ports on PC or a console.

Homeconsole realease and i'll buy. The Sonic 1 and 2 ports on XBLA and PSN that exists today are just awfull in every way imagined.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be getting Sonic 2, since the prospect of widescreen, re-mastered soundtrack and all sorts of other goodies in my favourite Sonic game for a (surely) low price is fine by me!

Oh please this. A 'Sonic 5' in your hands would turn out great. Seriously, just picturing starting up a new Sonic game and having the classic physics brings tears of joy to my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Best of luck to Taxman and Co. I think this is something worth looking forward to regardless of what this means for the future, and for those who aren't as interested, I think it's a little pointless to be that frustrated about something relatively minor (at the moment).

• Thumbs Up 3

But after this port, we'll already have an HD version of Sonic 2.

He might have meant the next episode. Personally I'd rather a new 'Sonic 5' so we can just forget about Sonic 4 haha. Even though I enjoyed it I feel it would be better if they started fresh.

Edited by Bubbles

Best of luck to Taxman and Co. I think this is something worth looking forward to regardless of what this means for the future, and for those who aren't as interested, I think it's a little pointless to be that frustrated about something relatively minor (at the moment).

Mhmhm, I mean, literally the only reason people are annoyed is cause we've had ports of these games before. If we hadn't, people would be going insane over remakes of this quality.

I mean, the quality is inevitable, so it's a little sad that people are automatically disappointed with the end result simply because there have been many previous lazy ports. I for one welcome our new remake overlords.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 3

He might have meant the next episode. Personally I'd rather a new 'Sonic 5' so we can just forget about Sonic 4 haha. Even though I enjoyed it I feel it would be better if they started fresh.

I still kind of want an Ep3 just to round off the Sonic 4 saga. Then Sonic Team can go nuts with Sonic 5. I like to think that the quality of the recent (and upcoming) enhanced releases will spur on Sonic Team and Dimps to make their new digital products even better.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mhmhm, I mean, literally the only reason people are annoyed is cause we've had ports of these games before. If we hadn't, people would be going insane over remakes of this inevitable quality.

Exactly. Sonic CD is something most Sonic fans haven't been able to access. I remember tracking down a copy of Gems collection just to play the inferior version of Sonic CD.

Now playing the game in HD and having a ton of new features (spindash fix) was awesome. I also sold my Wii so I can't play Gems anymore so that was a plus.

Sonic 1/2 aren't that special, especially since people have played them to death. They've also been ported to every system on the planet. I even have the mobile versions. To be honest though, the mobile versions are REALLY bad and I might pick up the new ones. I also want to see if we'll get Tails/Knuckles in Sonic 1/2 and online multiplayer.

Why do people here keep mentioning 60FPS on Sonic 1/2 like we never experienced such thing before?

I'm on the fence on purchasing this really. Don't like Sonic 1, Sonic 2 was meh. If this was S3&K (or even Sonic 3) I would give them my money. On the other hand if I see Amy...nah, I don't think that would happen.

So yeah, on the fence. Besides I rather play these ports on PC or a console.

Because you guys in the US grew up with 60FPS, while Europeans didn't?