Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

So seeing as the 2 games will not only be released for Android but will also re-released on iOS, how are they going to differentiate between the iGenesis versions? Will they update those versions or will they call the games Sonic 1 and 2 HD?

It's been confirmed that the iOS versions will basically replace the old ones. If you've already purchased them, they'll be completely replaced in an update. And new buyers will just be given the 2013 versions right off the bat.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest Chaotix's stage design is so bad that I can't enjoy it no matter how interesting and promising the mechanics are

it feels like they were designed by a lazy hacker.

"Why thank you I would like to keep going up forever or I could just play as Charmy man this stage design sure is designed and not just random tiled artefacts over and over"

I would buy it for collection purposes, but yeah I would agree that Chaotix can't be "saved" unless the stage layouts themselves were redone to actually resemble some level of conscious design.

/slight rant??

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Furthermore, SEGA have yet to announce this properly to the public. We don't know quite what's in store, but what we do know is that Taxman added a bunch of uneccessary but frankly brilliant extras to CD- things like Tails, leaderboards, multiple save files and even the spindash style/physics. And to top that off there were extra stages planned that eventually got cut.

These ports are going to be fantastic, and we know nothing of them yet. I can't believe the amount of negativity this is stirring up. Some of it fair, some of it ludicrous.

This so much.

Despite what the Retro people saying being overblown (sadly) I think there's still plenty of reasons to support this, besides of course the likelihood of the ports-no, rebuilds being incredible and being the definitive version of their respective games.

-Supporting this will mean we might get more Taxman ports in the future, such as Sonic 3K or Knuckles Chaotic

-Supporting this may mean that SEGA might let Taxman do more with the Retro Engine, we might end up with a pixel-art Sonic 5 that's way WAY better then anything Sonic 4 has ever done and can actually stand up to the games before it (minus Sonic 4)

-Supporting this means you're supporting fans who do such good work that their work has ascended to an official level. And supporting other talented fans is always good. 

And this one might be a bit crackpot but...

-Supporting this might mean that SEGA might realize that fans want proper rolling physics-based gameplay and really like it, so they might try incorporating it into the 3d games. 

Despite the hype being overblown in the end, I still believe there's lots to get hyped about here. 

EDIT: Also lol

Look man, all of us who know what this could mean are really excited and we wish we could tell you straight up, but we can't. All we can say is that if everything goes well, you will be pleased with what this leads to. New port? New game? Something else entirely? You'll have to 

pyramid_zps3591b068.png

and buy these ports when they come out. Then - as long as it goes well - you'll finally see what we're so excited about, and we're sure all of you will be excited as well.

This as well. 
Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

To be honest Chaotix's stage design is so bad that I can't enjoy it no matter how interesting and promising the mechanics are

it feels like they were designed by a lazy hacker.

"Why thank you I would like to keep going up forever or I could just play as Charmy man this stage design sure is designed and not just random tiled artefacts over and over"

I would buy it for collection purposes, but yeah I would agree that Chaotix can't be "saved" unless the stage layouts themselves were redone to actually resemble some level of conscious design.

/slight rant??

I will admit the level gameplay design is poor, the art is good, but the design is poor. Personaly somthing I think would be rather cool if they did the port was if they integrated a 'lock-on' feature, that would allow you to play as the characters in chaotix in the other sonic games that use the retro engine, now that would be cool(unlikely but cool)

On another note, It hink it would be cool if Taxman took on Vectorman with his engine(and perhaps the sequel too)

The level design in Chaotix is repetitive and kind of bland. They re-use gimmicks over and over again so it's not great. The thing is, the levels were designed to be very vertical to make the rubber band gimmick useful. Just imagine how using the rubber band through Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 stages would have felt. It would be almost completely useless.

I guess it must be difficult to design the right kind of levels to suit the co-op, but yeah Sonic Team could have done a lot better. 

It's still a game which a lot of people haven't played. So I do think it would sell pretty well. I just don't think there has been/will ever be enough demand from fans to get it ported, even if SEGA could do it on the cheap.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 3

The level design in Chaotix is repetitive and kind of bland. They re-use gimmicks over and over again so it's not great. The thing is, the levels were designed to be very vertical to make the rubber band gimmick useful. Just imagine how using the rubber band through Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 stages would have felt. It would be almost completely useless.

I guess it must be difficult to design the right kind of levels to suit the co-op, but yeah Sonic Team could have done a letter better. 

It's still a game which a lot of people haven't played. So I do think it would sell pretty well. I just don't think there has been/will ever be enough demand from fans to get it ported, even if SEGA could do it on the cheap.

Why do you think I have a link to a KC petition in my signature?

Also the lock-on idea wouldnt have the co-op setup, it would just be the individual characters(doubt you would be able to use heavy or bomb of course, but thats kinda obvious)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Why do you think I have a link to a KC petition in my signature?

Because you seriously do not understand how these things work. 

A petition will not get attention from SEGA, and furthermore won't get any from fans either. Right now, supporting these S1 and S2 remakes is the way to get attention. But KC is always going to be unpopular for a number of reasons, not least because of it's quality, and the fact is doesn't even star Sonic will make it a hard-sell. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

The only problem I'm seeing with this is: are many people outside of the Sonic community going to buy in on this? I assume most people with iPhones/Androids would have had their 'nostalgia fix' by now and will only get the free update. I imagine the rest of the gaming populace will only see it as another port...we can only hope that SEGA advertises the enhancements well enough!

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess it must be difficult to design the right kind of levels to suit the co-op, but yeah Sonic Team could have done a lot better. 

Just for a laugh I'd love it if Taxman included a Chaotix rubber band mode for Sonic 1 and 2, just for the challenge of how far you can get.

At this point I think it's utterly worthless to speculate of any hidden agenda because this shit is devolving faster than the 2013 plans ever did. Knock it off.

The fact of the matter is that projects such as these and Sonic CD are obviously going to be things the fan community will want to push for support because they freaking deserve it with or without any promise of what's to come afterwards as a result. Up until Sonic CD Sega's port/emulation jobs have been infamous as utter shit, and now we're finally getting quality re-releases for these games that are striving to be the definitive version, and a lot of its success is owed to the Sonic fan community that helped make this possible.

Is this not up your alley? Fine. I'm not jumping in excitement over it myself. But I am glad that these ports are happening because this is the kind of shit that old games deserve anyway, and it's taken Sega this long to finally get the message that there's a market for this. If enhanced ports are within your interests and you want to see more of them then consider getting these. If not, then fair enough.

But jesus christ reading through this topic is just too fucking painful sometimes.

This post and your other posts make too much sense for this thread. Stop it. :V

You can't say 'buy the game, support the franchise because something will/might happen' and expect people to just blindly follow it because thats both a fools market and incredibly missleading when it comes to sales.

Seemed to work pretty well for Sega with the Sonic 4 series. Worked even better when they promised t-shirts, posters, and names read aloud and dubbed "true fans" in videos for buying 4+ copies of the same game.

Although there is a difference on what are the (expected) promises of supporting Sonic 4 and the (hypothetical) possibilities of supporting Taxman's Genesis ports.

What were the promises of supporting Sonic 4 via Episode II's TBI to artificially inflate the game's sales? Signed posters and t-shirts. Your name mentioned in a video and christened as a "true (Sonic) fan." Securing of the future of the Sonic 4 saga with a third episode, which would bring back more of Dimps's typical game design shenanigans, but this time with the return of (who would be an assumedly playable) Knuckles, Angel Island, Master Emerald, and Sonic 3&K throwbacks as it's selling points, with more "feedback" implementation. (And going by some responses I've seen around the net, the former alone is more than enough for some people to buy a third episode, no questions or PR strings attached.) Showing your support the franchise with the approval of games that are pastiches of older games that they claim relation to that some may find horrible, while others may find decent, good, or even great in some cases, but know can use much improvement in several areas.

Compare that to the possibilities of supporting these ports. More high-quality ports of the Genesis games, older Sonic games, or older Sega games? The hypothetical true/spiritual successor to the Genesis Sonic games developed by someone who (arguably) knows or cares about faithfully adapting the source material much better than Sonic Team/Dimps that many fans have been waiting for? Better relations amongst fans and developers/publishers on (re)creating, developing, and/or porting games? Showing your support of the franchise with the approval of high-quality ports/remakes of much beloved games?

The only problem I'm seeing with this is: are many people outside of the Sonic community going to buy in on this? I assume most people with iPhones/Androids would have had their 'nostalgia fix' by now and will only get the free update. I imagine the rest of the gaming populace will only see it as another port...we can only hope that SEGA advertises the enhancements well enough!

This. So much this.

People outside the fanbase will see this just as a mere port, another one. Maybe it would sell well on Android, Wii U and 3DS...but on those plattforms that already have their respective ports...I don't think they will bite again.

Let's try and predict some reviews.

IGN: Let's face it, Sonic is a tired out mascot but the classics still shine. 8.5/10

???: Ok, I'm gonna (censored) review (censored) Sonic (censored) 1 (censored) Android. Eynd, let's start with the most important thing. The cheyrecter design. The cheyrecter design in this game is good. You've got the Classic Sonic, good eyes, good quills, good body proportions. Then you got (censored) pussy Tails and (censored) Knuckles, I mean what the (censored)!? We don't need them they're (censored) gay. So anyways, you got Sonic 1, and they added a wider screen so you can see what you're (censored) doing better. Eynd a time attack mode which is pretty (censored) good. I'm gonna own that (censored) shit it'll be (censored) easy ya modern morans! So this game get's a 10/10 and that's (censored) it for the review.

Ya know what? I'm starting to like you, new guy!

Now let's throw some modern hentai quills jabs on that second one...

In any case, I wouldn't be buying these if they were just another port in the first place, and thus have no reason to get excited. This, however, with Taxman and Stealth behind it, I'm already waiting in line for these gems!

Read: Yadda yadda yadda, staple post about how awesome it is to have fans making the things we like even better. Hooray!

• Thumbs Up 2

Well Retro people and Taxman, consider me in on your sordid little conspiracy.  I'll buy both for all platforms I own that they come to...which hopefully is not just iOS and Android...because I have neither of those...

XBLA and eShop?  They'll be mine...and to everyone doubting this thing...It's a definitive version of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, two of the best games in the series, and even if you've played them 100,000 times, one more isn't going to kill you...

Besides...remember how ridiculously cheap Sonic CD 2011 was?  It was the cost of like 2 bottles of soda.  That game could have been $20 and still have been worth every penny.

Let's face it, we're all going to end up buying this. Every re-release of a Sonic game I prepare an excuse like some kind of drug addict. We're all at the mercy of a blue hedgehog that wears red shoes. It's the truth we must accept.

• Thumbs Up 1

???: Ok, I'm gonna (censored) review (censored) Sonic (censored) 1 (censored) Android. Eynd, let's start with the most important thing. The cheyrecter design. The cheyrecter design in this game is good. You've got the Classic Sonic, good eyes, good quills, good body proportions. Then you got (censored) pussy Tails and (censored) Knuckles, I mean what the (censored)!? We don't need them they're (censored) gay. So anyways, you got Sonic 1, and they added a wider screen so you can see what you're (censored) doing better. Eynd a time attack mode which is pretty (censored) good. I'm gonna own that (censored) shit it'll be (censored) easy ya modern morans! So this game get's a 10/10 and that's (censored) it for the review.

Now who do I know who does reviews like that.... XD

Let's face it, we're all going to end up buying this. Every re-release of a Sonic game I prepare an excuse like some kind of drug addict. We're all at the mercy of a blue hedgehog that wears red shoes. It's the truth we must accept.

Red.... Herring....???

Edited by AfroWarrior
  • Thumbs Up 1

So I went and read this whole thread since this afternoon with all the back and forths, funny stuff how passions are so ignited over a port because people imagine it is some kind of conspiracy that Sega is secretly planning to develop a new game but wont release it unless this port sells. Yeah right guys, get the delusions out of your head.

Anything with Sonic in it is free money for them.

Retro people seriously look down on Sonic Stadium, I don't understand why there is so much nut-riding. Who cares what Retro thinks, just because Taxman is a well known member there. 

Edited by Sir Dwayne

So I went and read this whole thread since this afternoon with all the back and forths, funny stuff how passions are so ignited over a port because people imagine it is some kind of conspiracy that Sega is secretly planning to develop a new game but wont release it unlease this port sells. Yeah right guys, get the delusions out of your head.

Anything with Sonic in it is free money for them.

I think you're missing the point. No one is saying that SEGA is hiding a game and won't release it unless this sells.

I'm pretty sure it's that if this game sells, future projects by Taxman could happen.

I'm pretty sure it's that if this game sells, future projects by Taxman could happen.

That's not how it's being sold by most people here. If people just want Taxman to get more work doing ports they should just say so, and a few have.

"The future of the franchise may hang in the balance depending on if this port sells" is the actual bullshit position being peddled here. 

Sega knows the sales of a supremely rehashed port do not determine the sales of a new entry in the 2d series, they aren't idiots.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

So I went and read this whole thread since this afternoon with all the back and forths, funny stuff how passions are so ignited over a port because people imagine it is some kind of conspiracy that Sega is secretly planning to develop a new game but wont release it unless this port sells. Yeah right guys, get the delusions out of your head.

Anything with Sonic in it is free money for them.

Retro people seriously look down on Sonic Stadium, I don't understand why there is so much nut-riding. Who cares what Retro thinks, just because Taxman is a well known member there.

That's not how it's being sold by most people here. If people just want Taxman to get more work doing ports they should just say so, and a few have.

"The future of the franchise may hang in the balance depending on if this port sells" is the actual bullshit position being peddled here. 

Sega knows the sales of a supremely rehashed port do not determine the sales of a new entry in the 2d series, they aren't idiots.

I like how reading the whole thread has given you the exact same crappy interpretation of what people think as it did yesterday morning. No one ever said, or even came remotely close to implying, that if this port sells poorly Sega's just gonna pack the franchise up. That's nothing more than the actual bullshit position you're pretending is being peddled here.

• Thumbs Up 7

That's not how it's being sold by most people here. If people just want Taxman to get more work doing ports they should just say so, and a few have.

"The future of the franchise may hang in the balance depending on if this port sells" is the actual bullshit position being peddled here.

Sega knows the sales of a supremely rehashed port do not determine the sales of a new entry in the 2d series, they aren't idiots.

SEGA aren't idiots on the matter, but it's difficult to say the same about you here because absolutely nobody has said "the future of the franchise hangs in the balance" depending on sales of these titles. No company would be a success if their products didn't sell, and so they'd stop producing them to find profits elsewhere. And if products do sell well, companies will look to expanding the line to capitalise on the market. Apply that logic to these remakes and it's very simple- if they sell, we'll be making it clear to SEGA that these high quality titles by Taxman are the sort of thing we want, and that could very well open the door for future endeavours. That's all anyone is saying.

Do we enjoy top-notch remakes of the classic games? Yes.

Do we want to support some genuinely fantastic work from within our very own community? Of course.

Do we want to open up the potential for even more the in future, be it in the way of more remakes or anything else? Absolutely!

Does the future of the franchise hang in the balance depending on sales here? No. But if CD was a flop do you think SEGA would have commissioned more work? As well as supporting some fans, we're supportIng the prospect of great games. Sales speak louder than words. I mean, I know people have seen asking for decent ports to no avail for a at least a decade now, and that's only changing because Taxman made something great that sold well.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why do people here keep mentioning 60FPS on Sonic 1/2 like we never experienced such thing before?

Just going back a bit here, there were a few answers given by users but it kind of looped back into "but Americans got to play it in 60 FPS anyways!". Yes, and Americans included, we all got to play this (sorry if you did as well). (Believe me, I hate it when people dredge up things as well, and I'm not targeting Shana here, just using her quote as a jumping off point. I'm also not fond of making posts like these so for me to make it you know it's an issue I care about.)

Sonic+the+Hedgehog+Genesis.jpg

Granted, this will be 7 years old this year. And with more recent releases, let's not forget that like Blue Blood said, Backbone's ports ran at 60 FPS when they felt like it. Showing support for these titles running under Taxman's engine is sending a message that quality, care, and love when handling re-releases of classic games is a much better business tactic than shitting on a plate and throwing it in the consumer's face with some free tasty bread. We can all reasonably expect fine tasty bread with a meal when out dining, but it stands to reason we want the main dish to be excellent as well.

I am just continually amazed by how negative people have been towards this news. I didn't expect everyone to be out doing the worm in the streets from this news, but finally, finally having a light at the end of the tunnel in regards to SEGA port quality is something I think should have exacted more sighs of relief from people than I've been seeing. Maybe it's easier for me to see the pros with these ports because my main access to Sonic 1 & 2 these days are from Backbone ports, and I just can't stand to play them that way because it feels wrong. Yeah, I've got a Genesis, and I've got my Sonic 1 & 2 boxes out on display alongside it, but with my complicated and compact media set-up and with a lot more time working/spend with the lady these days, it just gets a bit hard to justify going through the trouble of unplugging and moving everything to plug in the Genesis. (Plus I just hate messing with wires... :P ) Knowing I could have remastered versions of Sonic 1 & 2 on tap right alongside Sonic CD 2011 just puts a big grin on my face. Playing CD 2011 then trying to play the BackBone ports has made me unable to play the classics for a while now. And no, I don't emulate these days. 

I'm kind of rambling. I'm just saying. I couldn't look anyone here in the eye and expect anything more than a "Oh, cool!" response from this announcement, but surely the fact that we're pretty much guaranteed definitive versions of these games now can't be a bad thing, right? Surely attempting to set this as a precedent for all future SEGA re-releases is a good thing? I mean look at SA1's recent re-release as opposed to SA2's. Sure, SA2 wasn't perfect but actual widescreen? Hell, go look up footage of what SEGA was having some team (BackBone?) do with CD before they decided to go with Taxman. Signs of effort put into this franchise we hold near and dear? That can't be anything to be disappointed over. Now that I've said my unnecessary piece, I'm going to bow out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No one ever said, or even came remotely close to implying, that if this port sells poorly Sega's just gonna pack the franchise up. That's nothing more than the actual bullshit position you're pretending is being peddled here.

Nope, I didn't say that people thought the franchise would close up shop, at all. Nice attempt to twist my words though.

I said people think this port puts the future of the franchise at stake, and many do:

I see you don't want to invest in the chance of a positive future for a franchise you like

Listen dude, there's a reason that a good majority of Sonic Retro admins are genuinely excited about this. They know what will happen if this game is a success and it's apparently good. How often does that happen? Never!

No one is forcing you to support it but you're pretty much denying facts by this point if you don't think this will help the future of the franchise in some way.

So, I'm apparently in denial for thinking that these ports (with some actual new features and effort being put into them) will help contribute to a positive future from the franchise?

Think about it SSMB, if the RETRO ADMINS are excited about what could happen if we all buy these ports, then there's a 99 percent chance it means something great for the franchise. BUY THESE PORTS!

Theres more push now for us to buy these ports then there was with Sonic CD and most of the push is by high ranking members of a well known Sonic community that has some of its members connected with SEGA themselves.

Somethings going on, they can't say but they are trying to tell us via saying we need to buy these ports. lets listen to them.

All I know is that I trust these Retro people (because I have reason too) and that I will be buying both ports if they come to 360 (which from the looks of it they most likely will), to do my part for the future of the franchise

But you might be ensuring something great to happen to Sonic if you support these ports. There is a reason to the madness. 

Honestly if it was one random Mod from Retro saying "something good might happen maybe" then I'd agree with you, but that's not what's happening here. 

This is way too keen for a "maybe". This is less of a "something might happen" and more of a "something WILL happen"

But for Retro to push in such a big way........there just HAS to be something big behind the scenes. This is kinda unheard of for them to do this, so it probably means something when they do. 

Newsflash: these fucking ports have nothing to do with the future of the franchise. I will stand by my statement.