Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Newsflash: these fucking ports have nothing to do with the future of the franchise. I will stand by my statement.

They have everything to do with future ports and the potential to expand into much more.

How are you not getting this?

Edited by Blue Blood

Nope, I didn't say that people thought the franchise would close up shop, at all. Nice attempt to twist my words though.

No twisting necessary:

"The future of the franchise may hang in the balance depending on if this port sells" is the actual bullshit position being peddled here.

So I went and read this whole thread since this afternoon with all the back and forths, funny stuff how passions are so ignited over a port because people imagine it is some kind of conspiracy that Sega is secretly planning to develop a new game but wont release it unless this port sells. Yeah right guys, get the delusions out of your head.

By massively exaggerating what people are actually saying you've also massively exaggerated the consequences you're implying the people believe could happen if this fails; including the part where you said people thinkg Sega will cancel a new game if this port fails. So "future of the franchise" absolutely means "whether or not new games get made" in the way you've been claiming people are saying.

I said people think this port puts the future of the franchise at stake, and many do:

No one does, actually. People think that these ports selling well means that there will be better things in store for the franchise. Which isn't particularly odd to think, because Sega likely wouldn't have brought Taxman back to remake a game they've already got on those systems if there was no chance of it happening; to say nothing about how that's how the industry works. Things that are popular and sell get more attention then things that don't.

It isn't everyone else's fault that you're taking "something good will happen if they sell" to mean the same thing as "something bad will happen if they don't" and reacting accordingly.

Newsflash: these fucking ports have nothing to do with the future of the franchise. I will stand by my statement.

So you're making the argument that strong sales of the fanmade labor of love remake approved entirely because of the strong sales and goodwill from the last one does not mean that that there is a better chance of, if nothing else, more ports along those lines coming out? Because none of those quotes you took the time to gather actually support that.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Any post from Sir Dwayne

lol

Look man, all of us who know what this could mean are really excited and we wish we could tell you straight up, but we can't. All we can say is that if everything goes well, you will be pleased with what this leads to. New port? New game? Something else entirely? You'll have to 

pyramid_zps3591b068.png

and buy these ports when they come out. Then - as long as it goes well - you'll finally see what we're so excited about, and we're sure all of you will be excited as well.

• Thumbs Up 5

Supporting this means Sega considering keep on counting on Taxman to handle ports/remasters. How this games do hasn't got anything to do with main (boxed) games' future. We only want Sega to know that we like this kind of ports/remasters and not them pulling a Sonic GBA and then make us be amazed by

tumblr_maaq4v70kp1rn98vpo1_500.jpg

Gaiz...I now. Thei will let Taxmen remaek Sanik 4 with his retro engine so it wud be liek...THE Sonic 4 as we truly imagined it.

Just kidding xD..Or am I?

• Thumbs Up 2

Gaiz...I now. Thei will let Taxmen remaek Sanik 4 with his retro engine so it wud be liek...THE Sonic 4 as we truly imagined it.

Just kidding xD..Or am I?

Are you trying to make a joke? Cos it's not funny. YEAAAH.

Well, I'm supporting this re-release. COS STEALTH. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Stealth's Sonic 1 GBA was fucking amazing.

This better live up to it.

Edited by Cola

Are you trying to make a joke? Cos it's not funny. YEAAAH.

Well, I'm supporting this re-release. COS STEALTH. 

Whatever.

I find it highly unlikely that if Taxman or Stealth ever make a new game with classic 16bit graphics, it would have a name of Sonic 5 because Sonic 4 has modern graphics and modern characters design. The only possible wai is not to continue Sonic 4 using retro engine but to make a new game but that would be awkward knowing that Sonic 4 takes place right after S3&K, which takes place right after S3 etc. ...and Sonic adventure seems to be taking place not long after classic saga, so I can't really see any place where a new classic-styled Sonic game would tie in story wise and timeline wise.

As if continuity really matters all that much to SEGA?  If Sonic 5 is ever officially made, I seriously doubt they will give a shit about trying to put it properly in the timeline until just before it comes out, although S4E2 does go against this I suppose, but S4E1 doesn't.

Whatever.

I find it highly unlikely that if Taxman or Stealth ever make a new game with classic 16bit graphics, it would have a name of Sonic 5 because Sonic 4 has modern graphics and modern characters design. The only possible wai is not to continue Sonic 4 using retro engine but to make a new game but that would be awkward knowing that Sonic 4 takes place right after S3&K, which takes place right after S3 etc. ...and Sonic adventure seems to be taking place not long after classic saga, so I can't really see any place where a new classic-styled Sonic game would tie in story wise and timeline wise.

Anywhere? It's just a fucking art style.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Sonic 4 takes place right after S3&K, which takes place right after S3 etc. ...and Sonic adventure seems to be taking place not long after classic saga, so I can't really see any place where a new classic-styled (actually, ANY GAME if you fail to see what I mean in my previous post) Sonic game would tie in story wise and timeline wise.

Basically a new 2D classic-like Sonic game is likely to take place either before Sonic adventure (again) or somewhere inbetween modern games or after them.

BTW how are you imagining S3&K looking like a classic game, Sonic 4 looking like a modern game and Sonic 5 (if there ever will be one) looking like a classic game again. How does that make any sense?

As if continuity really matters all that much to SEGA?

Sad thing really. For me at least.

Edited by ArtFenix

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yeah, you're argumenting Sonic 4 comes after 3K, and Adventure likely afterwards, so there's not much place to put it in.

Basically a new 2D classic-like Sonic game is likely to take place either before Sonic adventure (again) or somewhere inbetween modern games or after them.

BTW how are you imagining S3&K looking like a classic game, Sonic 4 looking like a modern game and Sonic 5 (if there ever will be one) looking like a classic game again. How does that make any sense?

Let me reiterate.

It's an art style. They can have Sonic 5 be Classic, Sonic 6 look like Sonic Battle, and Sonic 7 look like recolours of Super Mario. The changes in design are all just art styles. Sonic did not literally grow taller and go through surgery to get green eyes.

I'd rather a Sonic 5 to look like Generations or Ep. 2. No need to go back to 16-bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd rather a Sonic 5 to look like Generations or Ep. 2. No need to go back to 16-bit.

Well yeah, but id Taxman is (hypothetically) gonna do it, it would have to end up with sprites because (as far as I know: correct me if I'm wrong) the Retro Engine can't do 2.5D/3D. 

I suppose they could go with the Ep 2 look but I'm not sure how hard that would be with the Retro Engine, I'm not familiar with it's limitations. 

Retro Engine ≠ Taxman. 

Stupid question: What is this supposed to mean?

Basically, Retro Engine does not equal Taxman.

Edited by AfroWarrior

Not equal to.

What I'm saying is that the Retro Engine, Sonic games, 2D and 16bit titles are just a few things that The Taxman, a skilled programmer, is capable of. He has ambitions beyond just what he's done for SEGA to date, and his skills are broader too. So if he ever was to theoretically develop an all new Sonic game, you're all massively jumping the gun to start guessing what it would entail. Heck if he turned around one day and said "okay, I'm done working with SEGA to pursue my own endeavours" then it's doubtful that SEGA would suddenly drop this type of business if it's proving successful and so would keep the ball rolling either by themselves or with other developers.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Sonic did not literally grow taller and go through surgery to get green eyes.

Except he did grew up if you follow Generatins explanation). If there would be such (nonsensial) changes, that would mean that by the time of S4 Sonic grew up and then became yonger again and then grew up again. Lol, right? xD

I---just can't buy these. Sonic 1/2 are not my favorites. I got CD day 1 because I only played it once before I bought it, marks the debut of Amy Rose, PSN trophies and me wanting to play the game using the EU/JPN soundtrack.

Sonic 1/2 is---yeah, I can't find a reason to buy it expect widescreen. And not playing it widescreen doesn't actually bother me as I'm used to it. You HAD to choose those games instead of S3&K.

Besides after Sonic Dash, I said to myself:

Lesson learned. I will never again purchase an iOS Sonic game at launch. It will have to be free if I'm gonna get it at launch. Urgh.

Maybe I'll get it when it's on sale.

I---just can't buy these. Sonic 1/2 are not my favorites. I got CD day 1 because I only played it once before I bought it, marks the debut of Amy Rose, PSN trophies and me wanting to play the game using the EU/JPN soundtrack.

Sonic 1/2 is---yeah, I can't find a reason to buy it expect widescreen. And not playing it widescreen doesn't actually bother me as I'm used to it. You HAD to choose those games instead of S3&K.

Besides after Sonic Dash, I said to myself:

Maybe I'll get it when it's on sale.

About the iOS thing.

It will most likely come to consoles, will you buy it then?

Also, support for this means we might get Sonic 3 and K next.  

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Except he did grew up if you follow Generatins explanation). If there would be such (nonsensial) changes, that would mean that by the time of S4 Sonic grew up and then became yonger again and then grew up again. Lol, right? xD

Wrong.

Chrissakes, I'm still astounded Generations is such a hard concept to grasp.

They used the two designs because of the FANS. IE AUDIENCE. NOT IN-STORY, AUDIENCE. They make jokes about it, they look different, so WE, THE AUDIENCE, can distinguish them and enjoy the fanservice.

It's still just a change in art style. SONIC ADVENTURE HAS A FLASHBACK TO SONIC CD WITH THE MODERN DESIGNS. They're interchangeable. It's like Mickey Mouse's white face/caucasian face. It's like the change of designs from Mega Man X to Mega Man Zero.

So no, it wouldn't mean he's older and then younger and then older. Unless you think he became older by 2006, and then younger when he became shorter again. And then became sick and his limbs inflated for Sonic Riders. Everyone became sick, in fact, because everyone's design is altered.

OOOOOOR WE COULD GO WITH THE LOGIC EXPLANATION THAT'S JUST ART DIRECTION CHANGES

• Thumbs Up 7

It will most likely come to consoles, will you buy it then?

If it comes on PSN (PS3/Vita) and has a new set of trophies then yeah I have to swallow the pill and get it. If not, I'm not interested, as I said Sonic 1/2 are not my favorites, especially Sonic 1 WITHOUT spindash. CD and S3&K are the only classics that I like.

Also, support for this means we might get Sonic 3 and K next.

But I want answers. Why did they go for Sonic 1/2 first instead of 3&K? We had way more than enough ports for Sonic 1 already.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

I like how reading the whole thread has given you the exact same crappy interpretation of what people think as it did yesterday morning. No one ever said, or even came remotely close to implying, that if this port sells poorly Sega's just gonna pack the franchise up. That's nothing more than the actual bullshit position you're pretending is being peddled here.

I agree with this (of course nobody implied that something bad would happen if we didn't buy the ports), but also Sir Dwayne has a point. Yesterday people weren't saying "Buy this port to encourage SEGA to make more high-quality ports and remakes", people were saying "Buy this port because something good will happen". The difference is that the former is rational thinking, and the latter is some kind of "something mysterious and wonderful is happening, buy this port!" bullshit. Maybe by "something good will happen", people were simply implying the obvious (which is the fact that buying it will tell SEGA that we like what they're doing), or maybe not. Either way, what people were saying yesterday didn't sound rational at all. Instead of quoting them again, I'll just direct you to the quotes in Ignoring the commentary by Sir Dwayne, some of those quoted posts sound quite ridiculous.

Edited by Frogging101