Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

But I want answers. Why did they go for Sonic 1/2 first instead of 3&K? We had way more than enough ports for Sonic 1 already.

Exactly because of that? We have lots of ports of Sonic 1, but they're frankly crap. So they first clean up Sonic 1 and 2, and if it works, then move to Sonic 3K. It's why if you already bought the ports on iOS you won't have to buy them again, they'll be an update.

The fuck happened in this topic, I'm literally out for 24 hours.

Buyers and Non-Buyers are clashing swords. don't bother participating, just sit back and watch. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Buyers and Non-Buyers are clashing swords. don't bother participating, just sit back and watch. 

I don't think anyone's trying to convince anyone not to buy this. There's no "buyers and non-buyers" dichotomy here. I'll probably end up buying at least one of these ports if they come out on Steam, but that doesn't mean I agree with the "buy it to make the franchise better" idea. Others are talking about other things as well, but nobody is getting into groups of "buyers" and "non-buyers".

Edited by Frogging101

But I want answers. Why did they go for Sonic 1/2 first instead of 3&K? We had way more than enough ports for Sonic 1 already.

You are right, we have lots of Sonic 1 and 2 ports, but none of them supports widescreen, remastered soundtrack and extra fixes, modes. Also, none of them is that accessible(considering this new one will come out to PSN/XBLA/Wii U/Steam as well). So this is the first worth port, just like CD 2011. That's why I think they're doing S1 and S2 first, it's like they want to forget all the others crap ports. They will probably do S3&K too, but all we can do now is wait.

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 3

I don't think anyone's trying to convince anyone not to buy this. There's no "buyers and non-buyers" dichotomy here. I'll probably end up buying at least one of these ports if they come out on Steam, but that doesn't mean I agree with the "buy it to make the franchise better" idea. Others are talking about other issues as well, but nobody is getting into groups of "buyers" and "non-buyers".

Clearly their is groups or sides or whatever, were just not labeling them. their is a definate devide between people buying and supporting this port, people not buying the port for their own reasons but is still supporting it, and people who won't buy it for their own reasons and are definately not going to support it at all.

Don't drag me back into this, I'm done with this topic. I'm just observing so I don't fall behind.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

Exactly because of that? We have lots of ports of Sonic 1, but they're frankly crap. So they first clean up Sonic 1 and 2, and if it works, then move to Sonic 3K. It's why if you already bought the ports on iOS you won't have to buy them again, they'll be an update.

The Backbone Sonic 1 port was good enough for me actually. I don't think I experienced any bad slowdowns people have been mentioning here (60FPS -> 30FPS) otherwise I would have definitely made note of it. And I have Sonic 1/2/3 on my PC anyway (...somewhere), and another copy of the game inside Sonic's Classic Genesis Collection (PS3).

My brother has the iOS versions of both games so he'll be getting the update for free I suppose but I haven't bought them personally on iOS myself. Because it doesn't make sense in my point of view unless I feel like blowing money.

You are right, we have lots of Sonic 1 and 2 ports, but none of them supports widescreen, remastered soundtrack and extra fixes, modes. Also, none of them is that accessible(considering this new one will come out to PSN/XBLA/Wii U/Steam as well). So this is the first worth port, just like CD 2011. That's why I think they're doing S1 and S2 first, it's like they want to forget all the others crap ports. They will probably do S3&K too, but all we can do now is wait.

Don't care about widescreen. It's a bonus, but I'm used to the borders that I saw in previous ports and Sonic Adventure (PSN). I only care about widescreen when the games created are from (2005+) when the games are in HD.

Remastered soundtrack? I'll need to hear a sample before I judge this part.

And what do you mean "none of them is that accessible?" Sonic 1 definitely is accessible. You can get this game almost anywhere. I can get this game in any single device in my home if I wanted to, that includes my 11 year old Nokia phone.

So you're saying they will update the previous PSN Backbone port too with no extra charge?

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

So you're saying they will update the previous PSN Backbone port too with no extra charge?

No, SEGA has not yet confirmed whether the new versions will make their way to consoles PSN/Xbla etc. Come on SEGA I am dying to know!

Edited by -Bender-

Let's take a look on what Eminem has to say on this matter.

Look, if you had, one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted, one moment

Would you capture it? Or just let it slip, yo?

• Thumbs Up 6

Let's take a look on what Eminem has to say on this matter.

You forgot a part:

"Mom's spaghetti" - Eminem, on the naysaying to his support on the Sonic 1 & 2 port discussion

• Thumbs Up 7

The fuck happened in this topic, I'm literally out for 24 hours.

It stopped being a topic and became a brief game of Fiasco, they stopped just short of introducing the Nazi gold.

Guys, can't we all just take deep breaths, agree to disagree, and see what comes of these ports? The arguing is getting a bit silly. tongue.png

Personally, I look forward to seeing what they hold.

Edited by Mega

Wrong.

Chrissakes, I'm still astounded Generations is such a hard concept to grasp.

They used the two designs because of the FANS. IE AUDIENCE. NOT IN-STORY, AUDIENCE. They make jokes about it, they look different, so WE, THE AUDIENCE, can distinguish them and enjoy the fanservice.

It's still just a change in art style. SONIC ADVENTURE HAS A FLASHBACK TO SONIC CD WITH THE MODERN DESIGNS. They're interchangeable. It's like Mickey Mouse's white face/caucasian face. It's like the change of designs from Mega Man X to Mega Man Zero.

So no, it wouldn't mean he's older and then younger and then older. Unless you think he became older by 2006, and then younger when he became shorter again. And then became sick and his limbs inflated for Sonic Riders. Everyone became sick, in fact, because everyone's design is altered.

OOOOOOR WE COULD GO WITH THE LOGIC EXPLANATION THAT'S JUST ART DIRECTION CHANGES

While you're mostly right, you forgot that Generations story ITSELF says that Classic Sonic is yonger Sonic. Every other redesign in any other game was just an art direction change but in Generations it was clearly stated that C. Sonic is yonger Sonic. YES, Classic Sonic was there for fans but they outright SAID he was yonger!

Edited by ArtFenix

I find it interesting that people are opting out of a buy, when we don't even know the bonuses that are to come. Sonic CD had surprises, so Sonic 1 (& 2) could very well have surprises. 

I'd rather a Sonic 5 to look like Generations or Ep. 2. No need to go back to 16-bit.

I agree. Leave that sort of stuff to Mega Man. 2D Sonic was never about retaining the 16-bit style. Sonic 3 was evidence that Sonic Team wanted to break free from 2D graphics and give us three dimensional games. I mean, just look at the efforts they made to give a 3D look to things such as the title screen, characters, enemies and gimmicks. 

One of Sonic 4 Episode 1's major missteps, aesthetically, was retaining 2D graphics despite the fact that a true Sonic 4 would have used the available hardware for all it was worth. Sonic 4 Episode 2 was, for me, much more in-line with what Sonic Team would have done had they worked on a Sonic 4 in the Saturn or Dreamcast era. The music was still reminiscent of 16-bit, but the rest broke free from the 16-bit 2D look.

I wouldn't like a Sonic 5 to go back to Genesis quality graphics. For one thing it would be inconsistant and for another it would go against what I was saying a few paragraphs up. Really, Sonic Generations Act 1 stages were very much what I see a Sonic 5 playing like. Like Blue Blood said, Taxman is not bound to Genesis games and Retro Engine games, he could easily assist in developing an original 2D Sonic title with SEGA, using the modern era hardware to the best of its abilities. 

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 9

I find it interesting that people are opting out of a buy, when we don't even know the bonuses that are to come. Sonic CD had surprises, so Sonic 1 (& 2) could very well have surprises. 

This too, x10000. There was fanservice out of the wazoo for Sonic CD. I highly doubt it'll be any different for S1 & 2.

• Thumbs Up 5

This too, x10000. There was fanservice out of the wazoo for Sonic CD. I highly doubt it'll be any different for S1 & 2.

What if Mighty is in the game? Just imagine how many fans will change their mind))).

What if Mighty is in the game? Just imagine how many fans will change their mind))).

Very very few, because Mighty is obscure as poop and would play no different than Sonic? :v

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, Mighty didn't have anything to do with Sonic 1. But there are several things that may exist within the games that Sonic Team wanted to expand on, or add. We've seen Spin Dash in Sonic 1 in the past, so it's pretty clear Sonic Team is cool with that addition. Tails was added to Sonic CD, so we could see Tails in Sonic 1.

I wish Sonic CD's rerelease had instantaneous time warp, as originally planned. Would have been cool to hit a signpost and BOOM you're in the Future/Past. 

It will be just as impressive.

Whitehead said as much:

"I can’t mention specifics, but there will be the usual improvements and (non-sexual!) fan service."

No one really cares about an obscure character such as Mighty. Knuckles on the other hand. Just make him (and Tails) playable in both games and most fans will be happy.

Edited by -Bender-

It will be just as impressive.

Whitehead said as much:

"I can’t mention specifics, but there will be the usual improvements and (non-sexual!) fan service."

No one really cares about an obscure character such as Mighty. Knuckles on the other hand. Just make him (and Tails) playable in both games and most fans will be happy.

Tails and Knuckles playable in Sonic 1 and 2? I could dig it.

Goddammit I would love to play as Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1, that Labyrinth Zone boss would get fucking obliterated! =D

• Thumbs Up 4

A scrapped character that little to none care about would changes fans' minds?

Edited by Felix

Looking forward to this but probably won't buy it unless they make a console port.

It probably might lead to some. Maybe PS3, 360 and Wii U.