Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Oh for fuck sake. Tristan (TSSZ) vs The Taxman.

Now Tristan appears to be annoying CW regarding his comments in this thread!

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/03/28/taxman-on-s12-remaster-i-have-higher-aspirations-than-being-the-ports-guy/

TSSZ opening post:

'Clarification on the Stakes of the Latest Release'

Much hype has been made since Monday’s news of a Retro Engine powered re-release and update to the 1991 Sonic the Hedgehog on mobile devices. Plenty have already championed the effort, and prominent community names are already compelling others to purchase the combined work of Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley, who both started as strong community talent.

But in remarks made on the Sonic Stadium forums, Whitehead believes the hype and the agenda behind some of it is being taken a bit too far.

“No, Sonic Retro doesn’t know anything that isn’t already public knowledge,” Whitehead said, referring to strong efforts made by Retro staff to compel purchase commitments with no overt reason given. “But it’s no secret that I’ve championed the cause of improving the treatment of the Classic Sonic franchise. You can see this by simply comparing the iGenesis version of Sonic 1 (with its mismatched modern Sonic art, frame rate and sound quality etc) to Sonic CD (and this version of Sonic 1 when some GDC footage perhaps surfaces).”

Whitehead also said that eventually, he’d like to do more than just port old Sonic games.

“I also have higher aspirations than being ‘the ports guy,’” Whitehead said. “All they’re doing is (very kindly) supporting my work in the hopes that it’ll lead to bigger things. Could that possibly be a brand new Sonic game? Another Sega venture? Or something totally unrelated?”

Whitehead could not go further, implying the above questions were hypothetical and that “game development is fraught with NDA and professional obligations.”

We are wondering if you do plan to buy these titles again based on the Taxman name alone. Tell us your thoughts below in the comments.

- - - - - - -

CW response:

Since Tristan only selectively quoted this I’d like to clarify the context of this statement. “Could that possibly be a brand new Sonic game? Another Sega venture? Or something totally unrelated?”

This was in response to the wild speculation in the forum thread and is by no means an indicator of anything. Obviously my personal comments/aspirations are mine alone and should in no way be taken as a statement related to SEGA’s views.

(Tristan Edit: Between linking to the original thread and only removing the line about your being under NDA, there’s no way this story’s being taken out of context. -T)

- - - - - - - -

CW further response:

Actually Tristan, that last line

“Unfortunately, I can’t give you that answer. I try to be as upfront as possible with fans, but game development is fraught with NDA and professional obligations.”

was important since it reinforces the fact that they were purely hypothetical scenarios . I just want people to be clear on that, thank you.

Edited by -Bender-

Grab the concessions guys, I think Tristan is trying to pull another circus act for page hits :U

Whatever.

Just saying....

We really don't need you saying anything. No need to spam a topic just to get the last word in on a staffer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Balding Spider, on 29 Mar 2013 - 02:45, said:

snapback.png

...Said Takashi Iizuka.

Mighty? More like Shadow the Armadillo, am I right people? Seriously, we already have a red and black Sonic.

Edited by Bubbles

Oh for fuck sake. Tristan (TSSZ) vs The Taxman.

Now Tristan appears to be annoying CW regarding his comments in this thread!

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/03/28/taxman-on-s12-remaster-i-have-higher-aspirations-than-being-the-ports-guy/

TSSZ opening post:

'Clarification on the Stakes of the Latest Release'

Much hype has been made since Monday’s news of a Retro Engine powered re-release and update to the 1991 Sonic the Hedgehog on mobile devices. Plenty have already championed the effort, and prominent community names are already compelling others to purchase the combined work of Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley, who both started as strong community talent.

But in remarks made on the Sonic Stadium forums, Whitehead believes the hype and the agenda behind some of it is being taken a bit too far.

“No, Sonic Retro doesn’t know anything that isn’t already public knowledge,” Whitehead said, referring to strong efforts made by Retro staff to compel purchase commitments with no overt reason given. “But it’s no secret that I’ve championed the cause of improving the treatment of the Classic Sonic franchise. You can see this by simply comparing the iGenesis version of Sonic 1 (with its mismatched modern Sonic art, frame rate and sound quality etc) to Sonic CD (and this version of Sonic 1 when some GDC footage perhaps surfaces).”

Whitehead also said that eventually, he’d like to do more than just port old Sonic games.

“I also have higher aspirations than being ‘the ports guy,’” Whitehead said. “All they’re doing is (very kindly) supporting my work in the hopes that it’ll lead to bigger things. Could that possibly be a brand new Sonic game? Another Sega venture? Or something totally unrelated?”

Whitehead could not go further, implying the above questions were hypothetical and that “game development is fraught with NDA and professional obligations.”

We are wondering if you do plan to buy these titles again based on the Taxman name alone. Tell us your thoughts below in the comments.

- - - - - - -

CW response:

Since Tristan only selectively quoted this I’d like to clarify the context of this statement. “Could that possibly be a brand new Sonic game? Another Sega venture? Or something totally unrelated?”

This was in response to the wild speculation in the forum thread and is by no means an indicator of anything. Obviously my personal comments/aspirations are mine alone and should in no way be taken as a statement related to SEGA’s views.

(Tristan Edit: Between linking to the original thread and only removing the line about your being under NDA, there’s no way this story’s being taken out of context. -T)

- - - - - - - -

CW further response:

Actually Tristan, that last line

“Unfortunately, I can’t give you that answer. I try to be as upfront as possible with fans, but game development is fraught with NDA and professional obligations.”

was important since it reinforces the fact that they were purely hypothetical scenarios . I just want people to be clear on that, thank you.

Well, fortunately, he seems to have sorted Tristan out on Twitter now. 

https://twitter.com/tssznews/

https://twitter.com/CFWhitehead

Mighty? More like Shadow the Armadillo, am I right people? Seriously, we already have a red and black Sonic.

Dude, mighty predates shadow, and has always been more interesting and had more potential.... its just sad they proably wont bring him back..... despite his popularity(Fang/Nack has a decent fanbase as well, and there is a lot more you could do with him)

Now if only Knuckles Chaotix would get ported, them more gamers would know of the forgotten mighty

Also even though his purpose was just as another playable character, he was actualy quite different from sonic in sonic arcade, and not a carbon copy(he was also taller.... and its kinda funny how his shell would hang for a couple seconds before it fell XD)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Dude, mighty predates shadow, and has always been more interesting and had more potential.... its just sad they proably wont bring him back..... despite his popularity(Fang/Nack has a decent fanbase as well, and there is a lot more you could do with him)

Now if only Knuckles Chaotix would get ported, them more gamers would know of the forgotten mighty

Also even though his purpose was just as another playable character, he was actualy quite different from sonic in sonic arcade, and not a carbon copy(he was also taller.... and its kinda funny how his shell would hang for a couple seconds before it fell XD)

I know, my point still stands though.

With people constantly whining about Sonic's friends, I'm not so sure bringing Mighty back will be a good idea...

How can mighty be "more interestig and have more potential" than Shadow when Shadow's had a full character arc and his own set of abilities which could lead to a unique playstyle while mighty barely exists beyond concept art and a few obscure games where he basically played just like Sonic?

Edited by Wraith
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't quite understand why people want him back. He was in what? Two games? He doesn't have much of a personality, or anything really to set him apart from Sonic. I can at least understand Fang to an extent, because he has potential that was never really used in the few games he appeared in.

That's just me, though. And even though I'm fairly new, I feel like this topic comes up often... doesn't it?

• Thumbs Up 3

How can mighty be "more interestig and have more potential" than Shadow when Shadow's had a full character arc and his own set of abilities which could lead to a unique playstyle while mighty barely exists beyond concept art and a few obscure games where he basically played just like Sonic?

I guess you could actually use that to Mighty's advantage. We already know what Shadow is.

Mighty on the other hand could be crafted in any way Sonic Team deems good for him.

I guess you could actually use that to Mighty's advantage. We already know what Shadow is.

Mighty on the other hand could be crafted in any way Sonic Team deems good for him.

see, thats kinda the point, and in reality, he has a little more than team chaotix had when they were brought back, and you do have to admit that was one thing that Heroes did ok, it brought them back in a decent way. If a team member was to adopt mighty like they did chaotix, they could do quite a bit, even moreso with Nack/Fang, who could prove to be quite a threat annoyance and add some comic relief being a foil to Eggman, as he could be both a rival to an eggman, yet on his side, now that could be amusing

Well he's not coming back in these remakes so there's no point discussing his potential use in the franchise here, is there?

• Thumbs Up 1

Unlike other ports I'll be getting this because it's being built from the ground up, Am I right in saying the current Sonic 1 on Ios is a genesis emulator?

One of the things I liked about the Sonic CD port though was it had a 2xres filter on the graphics which made them look smoother and slicker, It doesn't seem like we will be getting that this time round though which is a shame, I know it's only something small but it really does give the game a fresh and modern look to it.

I'm looking forward to the remastered soundtrack, It may be using Sonic 4 instruments but I they sounded pretty awesome in Episode 2, Just the actual melody composition was lacking, So hopefully the soundtrack should sound great because the arrangement's are already there.

All in all I'll be buying this port and will be getting the Sonic 2 port too. I really hope it does lead to a Sonic 3 and Knuckles port, Knowing SEGA we'll have to buy each one individually though, There best be some lock-on support :P!

I'm looking forward to the remastered soundtrack, It may be using Sonic 4 instruments but I they sounded pretty awesome in Episode 2, Just the actual melody composition was lacking, So hopefully the soundtrack should sound great because the arrangement's are already there.

The remastered music is still using the original instruments.

Happy that the spin dash will be in this version of sonic 1. It not being a feature is one of the big reasons I found it boring and average. Hopefully tails and knuckles will be playable as well. and maybe super sonic? Hopefully this comes I consoles.

I'm sure the smoothing filter will be in. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Don't care myself, though. I don't like how it looks.

I'm sure the smoothing filter will be in. I don't see why it wouldn't be. Don't care myself, though. I don't like how it looks.

Yeah, I used the Nostalgia filter in CD as dat pixel art was glorious in high-def.

Will they add the seventh Chaos Emerald?

Why should they? There are only 10 possible attempts (from Green Hill to Starlight Zone)  to get the 6 emeralds in the first place, and the special stages in Sonic 1 have a tricky difficulty. I'm happy with six.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why should they? There are only 10 possible attempts (from Green Hill to Starlight Zone)  to get the 6 emeralds in the first place, and the special stages in Sonic 1 have a tricky difficulty. I'm happy with six.

In fairness, they could actually fix this because it would seem to be more of a technical issue than a design one:

All throughout this zone, it is not possible to enter the Special Stage as the giant rings that lead to it never appear. This is because part of the VRAM area normally used by the big ring is used by the animated smoke in the BG. A big ring can be added by hand, but it will use garbled tiles whenever the smoke animates.

Not that they need to add a 7th special stage or anything, and I wouldn't complain if they added Super Sonic as a good ending bonus. That'd be fun. But they didn't for CD so I don't see them doing it now.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

But they didn't for CD so I don't see them doing it now.

Because Time Stones, not Chaos Emeralds.

• Thumbs Up 1