Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Because Time Stones, not Chaos Emeralds.

I knew someone would say that. But as far as I'm concerned, that's a total non issue and if they wanted to add Super Sonic for the sake of him being a fun, extra feature they could have done. No plot relevance, not dependant on Time Stones, just an ability you're granted after meeting a certain criteria.

In fairness, they could actually fix this because it would seem to be more of a technical issue than a design one:

Not that they need to add a 7th special stage or anything, and I wouldn't complain if they added Super Sonic as a good ending bonus. That'd be fun. But they didn't for CD so I don't see them doing it now.

That's interesting because I swear that I once (a long time ago) managed to get into a special stage at the end of Scrap Brain Act 1. I can't remember if I was mucking around with Debug mode or if it was a one-off glitch, but I definitely got into a special stage in that act.

Would be interesting to see how Super Sonc would play using the speed-cap physics of CD/1. 

Because Time Stones, not Chaos Emeralds.

Well actually to quote Sonic Retro:

In Sonic CD:

"An extra special stage can be accessed from the Sound Test menu by setting all the 3 selections to 07. According to a former Sega Europe QA Tester, an extra Time Stone was to be collectable here. When collected in addition to the previous Time Stones, "S" TV monitors would appear where the ring TVs were previously located. When broken, you would morph into a gimped version of Super Sonic, which would simply grant you invincibility and greater speed. Graphics would not change."

So a kind of Super Sonic form for Sonic CD was considered.

You can use the "S" TV monitor in the debug mode of Sonic CD. It does indeed make you fast and invincible.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

You guys gotta remember that as much as Taxman might want to add in certain things, it falls on Sonic Team giving the "okay". Last time, with CD, they didn't want to deviate too much from the original game, though they did allow Tails. So who knows, depending on the new addition they might be okay with certain things.

• Thumbs Up 4

You guys gotta remember that as much as Taxman might want to add in certain things, it falls on Sonic Team giving the "okay". Last time, with CD, they didn't want to deviate too much from the original game, though they did allow Tails. So who knows, depending on the new addition they might be okay with certain things.

Very much agreed. I do hope they recognise the positive response that Tails CD got though, and the interest in Desert Dazzle got as well. Because I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say I'd really love to see the additions to the games like that, even if they're DLC that we have to pay extra for. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'd think as long as the additions are optional, then Sonic Team would be more inclined to commit. You didn't have to play as Tails or use the Spin Dash in Sonic CD. Same could go for Sonic 1&2. However, another emerald or Super Sonic might be too game changing in Sonic Team's eyes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Also there is big following from Retro. I'mma drop the statement here too. Buy these games. Just do it. I know its ports of the most ported Sonic games ever, and I don't know what they have planned fully, but no matter the direction this goes (S3K port OR new classic-styled game), it's Taxman and Stealth. Buy this. And if you already bought the iOS version then update it. You should get it for free. 

I heard about this game and i'm hoping if it won't be like the GBA version which I heard everyone hates because of many reasons. But hearing about people who already bought this then to update it made me think that it'll just replace the current 2 retro sonic games on the app store soon in spring.

Edited by kimplix

Would be interesting to see how Super Sonc would play using the speed-cap physics of CD/1.

I'm expecting the speed cap to be lifted in this remake, just like it was in CD if you had the improved Spin Dash on.

• Thumbs Up 5

If Super Sonic returns, I'd love an option where the Super Sonic tune is disabled. One thing I LOVED about Generations is the fact that there was no annoying 10 second loop.

Honestly, it's one of the reasons I'd rather just play levels without Supersonic. The awesome tunes in the background getting replaced with a somewhat annoying loop just grinds my gears.

• Thumbs Up 8

That^ and also having the transform button somewhere else like in Sonic 4, because sometimes you don't wanna become him when you jump or "double jump" y'know.

Or I guess turning SS on or off at the options like Colours and I suppose Generations too.

• Thumbs Up 3

So in terms of sonic 1 copies, I've got:

•        Megadrive cartridge Cartridge (4)
  •       Mega collection plus
  •          Classic collection ds
  •          original Phone version
  •         Arcade nano plug and play
  •          Xbox live version
  •         Generations 
  •         Pc
  •         sega Megadrive ultimate collection

Buying this re-release will mean I have 14 copies of sonic 1...whoops?

EDIT: Forgot the psp collection, current total is 14 copies not including this re-release

Edited by Liam The Animator

These added features would make me appreciate Sonic 1 a lot more in the upcoming port:

• Added Spin dash would be great for those of us that have been used to it for so long. An option could given to choose between no spin dash or added spin dash, so people won't be pissed by that change.
  • Ability to choose between original and remastered soundtrack.
  • Knuckles in Sonic 1 would be just plain awesome, as we could explore levels more with the wall climb.
  • Tails would be nice as well, since he was added to cd. His flying abilities would make him the easy mode of sonic 1.
  • Super Sonic. Come on, all they would even need to do is add one more special stage.Can you imagine how he would break sonic 1?

Sonic 1 would probably rise up as one of my favorite 2d sonic games with these features implemented.

Ability to choose between original and remastered soundtrack.

The remastered soundtrack is pretty much the original but in higher quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

The remastered soundtrack is pretty much the original but in higher quality.

I think I remember hearing this. Who confirmed this? That's unfortunate that it's pretty much the same as the original, but then again, we at least won't get a raped soundtrack(looking at you, Sonic Genesis).

I think I remember hearing this. Who confirmed this? That's unfortunate that it's pretty much the same as the original, but then again, we at least won't get a raped soundtrack(looking at you, Sonic Genesis).

Taxman confirmed it.

Based on what was added to CD (2011), the most realistic changes we can expect for Sonic 1 would be: 

• Alternative Sonic 2 physics and spindash (no speed-cap)
  • Unlockable Tails with his flying ability
  • Bring back debug mode and level select

Changes I would like to see, which are very unlikely to be made:

• Unlockable Knuckles
  • Add the CD styled super peel-out and/or charge up spindash to the Sonic 1 physics.

Realistic changes we can expect for Sonic 2:

• Give Tails his flying ability
  • Unlockable Knuckles
  • Make you double jump to activate Super Sonic
  • Bring back debug mode and level select

Changes I would like to see, which are very unlikely to be made:

• Map the Super Sonic transformation to a different button
  • Add Knuckles to two-player vs as well
  • Allow you to de-morph (turn back to normal) from Super Sonic at anytime.
Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 5

• Allow you to de-morph (turn back to normal) from Super Sonic at anytime.

Now that would be awesome. You know when you reach a boss with Super Sonic, and in the middle of the battle you turn back to normal with no rings. Oh boy. It's time to:

tumblr_lvln7n3uYT1r124nx.gif

Turning back to normal at anytime would be cool, like: "I don't even need to use my full power for that shit", like Dragon Ball Z haha

• Thumbs Up 1

This "most likely console too"...where dit this come from?

Everyone's hopes and dreams made reality.

This "most likely console too"...where dit this come from?

It's just an assumption, the CD re-release came to most platforms, it would be logical for them to do the same for these.

Sonic CD for consoles was done by an outside development team iirc. It was a ported version of the mobile game.

I wonder if it's possible for them to some how release it as an update for the existing XBLA/PSN versions of the game.