Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

The memory issue is the only reasonably valid one, but it's one that's also extremely valid for:

• anyone with an older ps3 model or 360 model
  • anyone with a Vita

you gotta pay more for storage and believe it or not external HDDs really are not expensive anymore. Getting a new HDD for your 360 or a new memory card for your Vita IS, and most people would agree that Nintendo allowing consumers to use third party storage systems is a huge advancement.

It's a non-issue, geez.

The only issue with SEGA working on WiiU is the size of the WiiU market, which is more to do with marketing and lack of games than the console itself which is.. really pretty good in all aspects.

This isn't even an issue with digital releases. Why do you think it's digital? They lose practically nothing releasing a game digitally, especially if it is put on multiple digital platforms.

I guess storage is a bigger issue for me. I'm a hardcore user and the idea of shipping the WiiU with only 30GB is laughable to me. Maybe it's buyer's remorse, but I really feel like Nintendo doesn't have a clue about what makes a good console ecosystem any more.

Drawing comparisons to the 360 and PS3 is also not painting the full picture; really we should be judging the WiiU against the PS4 and 720 (difficult I know because we don't know much about them, but those are the machines that the WiiU really has to compete with).

This isn't even an issue with digital releases. Why do you think it's digital? They lose practically nothing releasing a game digitally, especially if it is put on multiple digital platforms.

Porting the game still costs money. If they don't think they're going to make that money back, why would they bother?

Edited by Matriculated

But they have nothing to do with this. This is about phone, and possibly PSN/XBLA/Steam release games. PS4 and Durango would only be getting them indirectly due to backwards compatibility (WHICH IS PRETTY IFFY RIGHT NOW). The only legitimate issue for these to not arrive on Wii U is the possibility of Taxman, or whoever is working with him, not knowing his way around a Wii U.

Edit: Also, implying people aren't "hardcore" just because they don't buy everything digitally.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess storage is a bigger issue for me. I'm a hardcore user and the idea of shipping the WiiU with only 30GB is laughable to me. Maybe it's buyer's remorse, but I really feel like Nintendo doesn't have a clue about what makes a good console ecosystem any more.

Drawing comparisons to the 360 and PS3 is also not painting the full picture; really we should be judging the WiiU against the PS4 and 720 (difficult I know because we don't know much about them, but those are the machines that the WiiU really has to compete with).

Storage is an issue and probably always will be, but some people want lots and some people don't need it at all, the option is there.

Want an 80GB Hard drive? You can get 'em for under £20/$15 easily. That's far cheaper for the consumer than if the system itself were 80GB bigger. I would actually assume that the PS4 and Nextbox may go in a similar direction for the sake of keeping their system affordable.

Since Gen5, memory cards have been a thing. External HDDs are now cheaper than memory cards were back then, so I'm not sure why you think Nintendo "doesn't have a clue" when it's very much on a healthy but money-conscious track in that aspect?

And let's not bring up the Vita where it has no internal storage and 16GB memory card is £40 despite being a console with a focus on digital. Nintendo really isn't doing that badly.

Edited by SuperLink

But the PS4 and 720 DO have sometihng to do with this. They're detracting people from buying a WiiU because they think the "real" next generation is starting soon. Low sales = no developer support, it's that simple. If WiiU sales pick up then I'm sure SEGA would release the game. At the moment it's very difficult to justify doing it with the install base being so low.

Also, I didn't intend to make any implications. I was also not trying to distinguish the difference between "casual" and "hardcore" (as in the negative/positive connotation between those words). I was simply saying that I'm a big gamer who devours a lot of content and a large HDD needs to be standard for me.

Edited by Matriculated

Don't get me wrong I'd understand why SEGA wouldn't want to, I just bloody hope they do because it'd be a minimal effort and cost and make WiIU users happy.

I was simply saying that I'm a big gamer who devours a lot of content and a large HDD needs to be standard for me.

So what will you do in the increasing likelihood that PS4 and Nextbox opt for similar storage means to the WiiU? It's far more cost effective for both the manufacturer and the consumer to let people just buy the storage they need.

I actually expect both Sony and Microsoft will offer multiple SKUs. They'll have the lower budget, small storage bundles but they'll also have model with a 500GB or so HDD built in.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398287/new-ps4-details-raises-friend-limit-headset-included-very-large-hdd/

Edited by Matriculated

Personally, I was a bit upset when I found out SD cards could not be used for storage of Wii U games. I remember people buying them up for the Wii U and wow..

I actually expect both Sony and Microsoft will offer multiple SKUs. They'll have the lower budget, small storage bundles but they'll also have model with a 500GB or so HDD built in.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/398287/new-ps4-details-raises-friend-limit-headset-included-very-large-hdd/

That's fair enough then, (Sony are used to developing systems at a loss so I could imagine it)

However, the point remains that if you as a consumer want it, you are probably spending less for a WiiU + HDD than you would for a WiiU with an HDD built in.

Can I just say again how ridiculously cheap good HDDs are b/c wow. It's a non-issue. If you want space on your WiiU, it's not hard(drive).

Personally, I was a bit upset when I found out SD cards could not be used for storage of Wii U games. I remember people buying them up for the Wii U and wow..

I reckon they could be added in future firmware (but don't quote me on that)

It was quite a bizarre decision especially after the extent 3DS supports them with music and movies too.

Edited by SuperLink

It's not even a money issue really. I just don't want external HDDs sticking out of my consoles. I have enough devices and wires as it is.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's acceptable, I guess but, the newest hard drives (that actually hold way more than the PS3 and 360 can) are incredibly slim. Of course, you'd need a Y-cable to use those types on your Wii U but, that's not that big of a deal.

Also External Harddrive includes USB memory sticks, so I think if you have a TeraByte USB, the WiiU would be fine with it. Also if you have a USB SD Card reader, that's been proven to work for WiiU storage.

(even more bizarre)

Edited by SuperLink

Does the Wii U support Superspeed USB 3.0? If not then meh, loading games on the USB will be incredibly slow (unless you are just talking about Virtual Console games on the USB).

Porting the game still costs money. If they don't think they're going to make that money back, why would they bother?

Is there any real chance of that? I mean... is there even a possibility that Sonic Team-developed anything, nevermind an HD port of the game that kept the Gamecube afloat for a year for people who didn't like Melee, wouldn't sell just as well (or better) as it would on the PS360?

Does the Wii U support Superspeed USB 3.0? If not then meh, loading games on the USB will be incredibly slow (unless you are just talking about Virtual Console games on the USB).

Actually, it's about as much of a non-issue as it could possibly be. There is still no reason that Nintendo shouldn't have included proper storage in the system, particularly when their updates chew up so much of the little they did include, but it won't be hamstrung by USB 2.0 load times anymore than a Prius is hamstrung compared to a Lamborghini when they are both driving in a school zone.

Also External Harddrive includes USB memory sticks, so I think if you have a TeraByte USB, the WiiU would be fine with it. Also if you have a USB SD Card reader, that's been proven to work for WiiU storage.

(even more bizarre)

A terabyte seems like overkill for console use but, maybe that's just me being old fashioned and finding buying disc based games a good way to go still. It does support a SD Card adapter like you said, though. I tested it out once just out of curiosity. Nintendo says things like "But those will die after repeated use" but, their own hard drive is flash and they've supported SD cards for storage on everything before the Wii U; so I really think it's just another warning they put forth so people don't sue them over something stupid.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Naw I literally only used TeraByte as a hyperbolic example.

I mean, if you wanted you could use a TB memory stick.

(if you wanted)

I buy disc based games almost all the time too, but the 3DS eShop is a goldmine for original digital games, and the WiiU eShop probably will be eventually too.

Edited by SuperLink

Wouldn't it be awesome if the re-release of Sonic 2 got Knuckles, then SEGA hired Taxman to make a S3&K remake S3&K and Dr. Robotnik/Eggman was an unlockable character due to the lack of playable characters in the classics? It would make (a wee bit of) sense, since at the end of Sonic 2 he's shown running faster than the blue blur.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't it be awesome if the re-release of Sonic 2 got Knuckles,

Thats a given considering every classic collection re-release now a days includes Sonic 2 and knuckles or a lock on option.

then SEGA hired Taxman to make a S3&K remake S3&K and Dr. Robotnik/Eggman was an unlockable character due to the lack of playable characters in the classics? It would make (a wee bit of) sense, since at the end of Sonic 2 he's shown running faster than the blue blur.

But the rest of this, stop talking crazy.

I want Amy to be playable in the classics

If that happened I could die happy

Even though it's kind of a dumb thing to want so much.

• Thumbs Up 3

I want Amy to be playable in the classics

If that happened I could die happy

Even though it's kind of a dumb thing to want so much.

That alone would make me buy these games again one last time...

• Thumbs Up 2

Wouldn't it be awesome if the re-release of Sonic 2 got Knuckles, then SEGA hired Taxman to make a S3&K remake S3&K and Dr. Robotnik/Eggman was an unlockable character due to the lack of playable characters in the classics? It would make (a wee bit of) sense, since at the end of Sonic 2 he's shown running faster than the blue blur.

What about Knuckle's Chaotix characters, mighty, classic Vector, and espio could be interesting

It's not the saaAAaaAAme.

What about Knuckle's Chaotix characters, mighty, classic Vector, and espio could be interesting

nah

If they remake Sonic 3&Knuckles, they should get Tiddles on board. Sonic 3 Complete is Sonic 3 as you truly imagined it!

Or at least, how I truly imagined it and I'm sure many others have. It's a stellar hack.

Edited by Mega
  • Thumbs Up 5