Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I hope the control setup that CD11 had will be here to. By that I mean that the virtual Dpad will continue to detect your touch on the right/up direction even if your finger is not directly on the pad because I'm sure most of our fingers slip a little bit over time. In Sonic 1,2and4 this is a huge problem since if your thumb slips too far right it will not continue moving Sonic, in CD however this issue is fixed.

If they failed to have the music, menu, and title cards in that clip... then they are hiding something!!! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The downhill speed cap is most certainly gone; Sonic just went flying after he ran through the loop at 1:23, something I don't ever remember happening in the Mega Collection port. And, Sonic was about to leave the camera behind Chemical Plant style after he left the S-tube at 0:37. Should be fun blasting through Starlight Zone now.

Sneaky sneaky SEGA for leaving out the music everywhere. What have you got hiding? :3

Edited by Joshua
  • Thumbs Up 1

Something just feels odd about this port and I dunno why.

Yes, I am very optimistic about the changes being made but still.. like the weird animation stuff (0:39 - 0:41 Sonic decides to change running animation into the reverse direction and goes back.. ????? ), the colors are strange (could just be the recording quality), and everything looks so odd with such a far away view like this (which could be just because of Android but who knows).

Plus those areas with the graphical glitches, like seeing the spikepit hovering over nothing in Act 2.

Either way, yeah. Its definitely not the same as what we got from SCD2011, which is weird. But still massively cool! I'll trust that its not as close to the original like SCD yet just because we're seeing an early build.

Edited by Azookara

The game is free if you bought the original ios version, correct? Isn't it just an update? I got impatient and bought the ios versions of sonic 1 and 2, and by god..... they're absolutely terrible. Controls don't even work half the time, and the slowdown in gameplay and music is incredibly irritating.

And, Sonic was about to leave the camera behind Chemical Plant style after he left the S-tube at 0:37. Should be fun blasting through Starlight Zone now.

That happened in the original, to the extent that it was very easy to kill yourself because of it:

Green Hill was just the only level in Sonic 1 with fast enough sections where the collision detection didn't shit a chicken if you actually tried going that fast (like was the case in Starlight).

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, the music was in that build, but they must have turned the volume down deliberately. And the colours/wacky squish and cropping are just the video. There's also the fact that some android devices might have the screen calibrated to its LCD, which could also affect the colours.

Also, before anyone says "That D-Pad is tiny!" you can actually customise the size / position / opacity this time :v:

Judging the when the timer appears to start during each act of the video, it's possible title cards were edited out for some daft reason. Just a thought.

The video reeks of SEGA allowing only so much to be revealed by Android Police. Guess they said "No main menu, no music and no title cards". 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm excited to see what happens with this remake. I also heard that the iOS version is treated as an update if you already have the crappy emulated one. Is that true?

I'm excited to see what happens with this remake. I also heard that the iOS version is treated as an update if you already have the crappy emulated one. Is that true?

Indeedy, t'is a free update to the iOS version.

• Thumbs Up 2

Most past SEGA iOS games have released on Wednesday/Thursdays - so we could see Sonic 1 as soon as tomorrow or as late as the 24th/25th. 

Looking good. At 1:47 when Sonic took a hit from that spinning spiky log, it always slow the shit down of the game, be on the original Mega or emulations. Nice to see that the framerate is perfect. And the wrecking ball finally looks and spins correctly!

Edited by Jango

This game is so..odd without music. It makes a pretty insane difference just how much the tune in the background changes the feel of an entire game.

Besides that, it's looking really great. The game is running so smoothly and the animation on the wrecking ball is great too, I'm really looking forward to this! Can't wait to check out the remastered music too.

It's so odd to see the Spin Dash back in Sonic 1, I thought that was just a little oddity that Sonic Team dropped in for Sonic Jam on the Saturn, never to be seen again.

Kinda wish it wasn't there though - Sonic 1 does get a little easier knowing its there. Still, I suppose you don't have to use it, so...yeah.

I'm like 90% certain the game's options will feature a classic mode that allow you to turn Spindash off. Previous versions have had it, and Sonic CD had plenty of things in the options that didn't have to be there at all.

So I'm sure this will be the definitive version of Sonic 1 in every way.

Oh yeah, I was more commenting on the fact that I didn't think it'd be back after Sonic Jam. I think Jam also made Sonic more blue than the original MD release, which seems to be the case here as well.

Not quite sure what format I'm going to get it on. Fairly sure the iOS version would be cheaper (especially as it's bound to get a price increase when the update comes out), but my Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a better screen on it...and is bigger. Hmm.

Sonic Jam had it because it was actually one of the very few ports of the original game, rather than just emulation of the Genny version.

• Thumbs Up 7

I really hope this comes out for consoles or handhelds.

Most likely consoles, but probably not handhelds.

Oh yeah, I was more commenting on the fact that I didn't think it'd be back after Sonic Jam. I think Jam also made Sonic more blue than the original MD release, which seems to be the case here as well

Sonic's colour hasn't changed. The video we've seen has some odd cloud for some reason. The spIndash is also toggled in a menu.

Whenever I see one second of Sonic 1, my brain is just locked into "okay, I can't spindash. Time to roll down every single incline for speed." It's kinda funny, actually. 

I do appreciate them adding the Spindash to the game again, though. I wonder if Tails'll be playable like in the CD remake?

Sonic Jam doesn't get the kudos it deserves. I get the feeling that a lot of people lump it with the Genesis Collection and the Mega Collection, when really it is very much its own thing with a LOT of special gameplay modes that aren't found anywhere else. It still is my go-to version for the Genesis games, and feels very much like the equivalent of a super special blu-ray release of a movie thanks to all the special features and behind the scenes stuff.

Easy mode is great for those who want a quick fix of a full game, and I like that every game has time attack, complete with a special menu theme:

Sonic Jam was actually the first game i brought when i saved up enough to buy a Saturn back in the day. I originally intended to buy Sonic 3D Blast but when i got down to the gamestore Sonic Jam caught my eye on the new release shelf.

It is brilliant!! None of the other Sonic collections since have seen the polish or love that have gone into Sonic Jam. It's not just the ports of the Mega Drive games, with their own extras like you say. But i found the extras in "Sonic World" to be a gold mine at the time, hell even now. Rarely seen videos and old tv ads for the games. The history hall is amazing and i wish more game collections would add one. Music room, art gallery etc and all in an interactive 3D world to run around in. It does not get any better than that. I struggle to think of any collection sets of games that went to that length with extra content in addition to the games they collected.

And sadly, like you said, most Sonic fans, especially the newer ones, either don't know about it or overlook it due to it being on an outdated system. Or imagine that it is just a fancy name for a simple collection of Sonic Mega Drive games on the Saturn, when it was much more than that. If they do another collection on the new systems, which at this point seems very likely with Sega's track record of re-releases, i would love to see them include all this content, even add to it with all the new stuff and info since Jams release. Or at the very least port Jam onto the collection, use it to house the original Mega Drive games rather than having them on a boring old menu screen.

• Thumbs Up 8