Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Not only is running smoothly, but I finally get to play this with the music not sounding like it's going at a snail's pace. ;w;

• Thumbs Up 1

The important question is.

Will this game have super peel out?

I could see Sonic 2 having it as I still believe Sonic CD happened before 2, but not 1.

Super Peel Out was an awesome move. It didn't get used very much across the series tho. I would be neat to see it make a come back. There was something wicked about Sonic charging up on the spot and taking off at break neck speed......until you ran into something >.<

• Thumbs Up 6

Super Peel Out was an awesome move. It didn't get used very much across the series tho. I would be neat to see it make a come back. There was something wicked about Sonic charging up on the spot and taking off at break neck speed......until you ran into something >.<

Yeeesh... and with Sonic 2's enemy placement....

But if you have the level design memorized, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I mentioned this on Retro, but I think the prospect of seeing S3&K remastered or heaven forbid, a *new* Sonic game with this engine is enough reason to support this if you haven't already.

As for the Super Peel Out, unless it's made so that it achieves something that the spin dash doesn't, there's not much point to it. It was useful in CD because of the large charge time the spindash had in that game, but with the instant spindash the other classic games have, it's kind of useless unless Sega changed how it worked somehow.

• Thumbs Up 3

I mentioned this on Retro, but I think the prospect of seeing S3&K remastered or heaven forbid, a *new* Sonic game with this engine is enough reason to support this if you haven't already.

Merely supporting the efforts of a member of our community should be enough of a reason. But the prospects it could potentially open up in the future, as well as making it clear to SEGA that this is something we'll pay money for, definitely sweetens the deal.  

If that's the case then they should just put in the boost.

But I don't want the awful, awful memories of Altitude Limit coming back to me as I play Sonic 1/2.

Hmm... we were told of an April release... think it'll release this week?

If they're still gunning for April, yeah.

I don't think I've ever anticipated a Sonic 1 re-release anywhere near this much. So excited to play through it.

• Thumbs Up 7

Sadly I'll be only able to play it/buy it and support it if it comes to consoles, I desperately hope it comes to consoles soon............

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't think I've ever anticipated a Sonic 1 re-release anywhere near this much. So excited to play through it.

Knowing SEGA and their previous iOS announcements, we could very well see a release this week or early next. But the clock is ticking, SEGA! You hear me... SEGA? ... Aaron? ... Ken? Oh wait, ignore this Ken.

• Thumbs Up 2

......and I would be more than happy to buy multiple-versions of the new Sonic 1, (i.e if the update does come to consoles) even if it costs a bit of money. 

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

They've rereleased Sonic 1 and 2 multiple times. Why would we want to play it again? Half of us have emulators so we can just play it on computer! There's no way anyone would buy this.

AND THEN I SAW THE REMASTERED OST.

rolleyes.gif  I have a feeling this is going to be a great spring.

But really though, why haven't Taxman & Stealth remake Sonic 3 & Knuckles? and Knuckles Chaotix? and Sonic 3D Blast?

They've rereleased Sonic 1 and 2 multiple times. Why would we want to play it again? Half of us have emulators so we can just play it on computer! There's no way anyone would buy this.

AND THEN I SAW THE REMASTERED OST.

rolleyes.gif  I have a feeling this is going to be a great spring.

But really though, why haven't Taxman & Stealth remake Sonic 3 & Knuckles? and Knuckles Chaotix? and Sonic 3D Blast?

And then you missed the the fact that it's not a remixed OST. It's the original music we've known for 22 years, with crisp quality samples that the MegaDrive wasn't capable of.

• Thumbs Up 1

And then you missed the the fact that it's not a remixed OST. It's the original music we've known for 22 years, with crisp quality samples that the MegaDrive wasn't capable of.

This. There's still a lot of reasons to buy the port though. 

The unlockable music in Generations sounds different to me, so would the remastered soundtrack sound something like that?

Also I'm going to be an insufferable git and ask a stupid question; is there any news whether these will be released on consoles or Steam? I only say that because I still enjoy Taxman's Sonic CD, and in all honesty I don't currently own a proper copy of Mega Drive era Sonic. :/

Naw the remixed music in Generations has some techno-stuff and filters and whatever applied to it. The music in this iOS version is just going to be uncompressed and at full capacity, if that makes sense.

The unlockable music in Generations sounds different to me, so would the remastered soundtrack sound something like that?

Also I'm going to be an insufferable git and ask a stupid question; is there any news whether these will be released on consoles or Steam? I only say that because I still enjoy Taxman's Sonic CD, and in all honesty I don't currently own a proper copy of Mega Drive era Sonic. :/

You mean the tracks like Hydrocity, Leaf Forest and Toxic Caves? No. They were remade for some reason. I suppose one way to explain what to expect is by looking at YouTube. You know how you can change the quality settings on the video? Think of the MegaDrive games music as 360p, and the upcoming versions as 720p. It won't be much of difference, but the quality will be better.

and then I went back to my original rant.

Because Sega aren't paying them to remake those games?

There has been no mention about a console release. All we've had is the Android & IOS poster, the five screenshots, the gameplay trailer (with the soundtrack removed) and Taxman confirming his (and Stealth's) involvement.

The IOS release of Sonic CD was finished way before the console ports by 'Blit Software' were done, and SEGA decided to release the console and platform versions more or less at the same time. I guess they would feel no need to delay the release of the new mobile versions of Sonic 1, as this time it isn't "where the Sonic 4 saga began". tongue.png I am sure we will get console releases. I just think they will take a month of two to finish (and release) after the IOS and Android versions are done.

Edited by -Bender-