Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

and then I went back to my original rant.

So you're not excited to legally play Sonic 1 with the speed cap lifted? It might just be me but that's a huge deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've just been thinking....

The belief is that these will eventually get console ports, and the IOS versions get updated to these right?

Well... how does that work when it comes to the PSN and XBLA? Both those services have Sonic 1 (and 2) on there, only they're flying the BackBone Entertainment logos.

So that means, either Sonic 1/2 will be removed from the said services, or... there will be 2 versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on the stores.

Does anyone else see a bit of a potential problem with this?

Well, by "updates" on the iOS version, it actually means that the current apps are getting completely removed and replaced with new ones made my Taxman and Stealth, rather than a little patch that changes things. People who have already downloaded the game will be prompted with an update that'll replace the apps they've already downloaded entirely. Now I don't know how PSN, XBLA and Steam work internally, but I would guess SEGA could do the very same on those platforms if they wanted to. And in doing so they'd be saying bye-bye Backbone.

Edited by Blue Blood

And in doing so they'd be saying bye-bye Backbone.

Thats what I thought, only depending on whatever deal they have with Backbone, they might not be able to do that, though I would be shocked if that where the case.

Only I can't see them 'updating' the backbone port to the Taxman port, mainly because it's been free on PSN+ so many times.

Speaking of Backbone, aren't they in some kind of financial trouble? It was reported around September last year that they had to lay-off some staff.

Edited by -Bender-

Thats what I thought, only depending on whatever deal they have with Backbone, they might not be able to do that, though I would be shocked if that where the case.

Only I can't see them 'updating' the backbone port to the Taxman port, mainly because it's been free on PSN+ so many times.

Again, not that I understand the politics, why would that matter? Backbone made those games on SEGA's behalf. SEGA owns all the rights to them. So if SEGA wanted to stop selling the Backbone version and sell a different version instead, what's the worry? 

And I'm a bit clueless on the last point. How would being free on PSN+ make any difference?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hoping these update tomorrow. I haven't looked forward to playing the original Sonic for years!

Edited by hypermikey

And I'm a bit clueless on the last point. How would being free on PSN+ make any difference?

Because if say you already had the backbone port, and they 'upgraded' those to the (attempts to make a new 'thing') 'StealthTax' edition, every single person who got the game on backbone edition on PSN+ would get the game for free again.

And PSN+ downloads are not counted in game sales. I don't know how many would have it via PSN+, but it's been up as a free download on at least 3 different occasions so it's got to be in the hundreds of thousands.

Because if say you already had the backbone port, and they 'upgraded' those to the (attempts to make a new 'thing') 'StealthTax' edition, every single person who got the game on backbone edition on PSN+ would get the game for free again.

And PSN+ downloads are not counted in game sales. I don't know how many would have it via PSN+, but it's been up as a free download on at least 3 different occasions so it's got to be in the hundreds of thousands.

They wouldn't be getting it free again, they would just be getting it as per usual. You'd start up the game as always, and there'd be the typical "an update for this game is available" message would up. You'd download the update, and in doing so the old version on your system would be replaced. It's like going from v1.0 to v2.0.

Would that cost SEGA anything? Do they pay for each update downloaded, or an upfront fee to issue a update to added to PSN (and XBLA etc)? If they have to pay for each update then yes that would be an awful lot. Maybe they'd then they'd take the current versions down (so nobody will be able to purchase them again) and put new versions up under a different name, tentatively Sonic 1 StealthTax.

Edited by Blue Blood

So you're not excited to legally play Sonic 1 with the speed cap lifted? It might just be me but that's a huge deal.

Speed Cap? Lifted? LEGAL?!? This might be great after all                                    

the keyword being might

Edited by XtremerSadiq

Actually I've just had another thought. They can't 'upgrade' any pre-existing backbone entertainment versions. Trophy/achivement lists.

If they did 'upgrade' the backbone ports to the stealthtax edition, then it would have to share the same achivement/trophy list as the backbone edition. Which is almost certainly not going to happen due to legal reasons we don't understand.

So a new set of trophies would have to be put into the game. But of course, you can't have a game with two seperate trophy lists, so it would have to be it's own product and not an upgrade.

I suspect that Sega will just have the Backbone versions pulled for new downloads, and have the new one instead.

That's if they are planning to release it on consoles anyway. Right now, this upgraded version is only for iOS and Android.

On consoles they could always call it "Sonic the Hedgehog - Remastered" and make it a seperate game.  Generate free download codes for anyone with the Backbone/SEGA Mega Drive Classics versions (on Steam this would be even easier, they can literally just add the game to your library for downloading).  Obviously the download codes would have to be tied to the user so they can't be abused.

Frankly though I'd be happy to pay like a £1 upgrade fee though.  How can us hardcore fans that already own the emulated ports support these ventures if they won't let us pay!?  =C

Or... this port will be available on next gen consoles. I can't see it on PS3/360 after releasing Backbone versions. And I don't think it's possible to generate codes within the game.

Or... this port will be available on next gen consoles. I can't see it on PS3/360 after releasing Backbone versions. And I don't think it's possible to generate codes within the game.

When I think about a game from 1991 on a PS4 I start laughing.

Yeah guys, I dunno, I think Steam is a "maybe", but for the consoles... I believe is a solid "no".

Actually I've just had another thought. They can't 'upgrade' any pre-existing backbone entertainment versions. Trophy/achivement lists.

If they did 'upgrade' the backbone ports to the stealthtax edition, then it would have to share the same achivement/trophy list as the backbone edition. Which is almost certainly not going to happen due to legal reasons we don't understand.

So a new set of trophies would have to be put into the game. But of course, you can't have a game with two seperate trophy lists, so it would have to be it's own product and not an upgrade.

How is that a legal problem? I think your overthinking this.

The way I see it is just have the StealthTax version mimic the exact same way of how achievements would be got in the Backbone version and your set to have it be an update for those poor souls who bought the BB version to begin with.

I think SEGA's way of marketing these ports this time around is like:

"Hey guys,

Thanks for buying those craptacular ports a long time ago, heres an awesome update for waiting.

Newcomers, we porting Sonic 1&2 again, I know I know but this time its not gonna suck as we got the same people who did Sonic CD and they got super fantastic plans for them. interested?

Love,

SEGA"

Basically, a thanks to fans who were devoted enough to buy a shit port just to play classic sonic and a way to capture that newfound interest of fans who liked Sonic CD and Taxman followers (like us).

• Thumbs Up 2

On consoles they could always call it "Sonic the Hedgehog - Remastered" and make it a seperate game.  Generate free download codes for anyone with the Backbone/SEGA Mega Drive Classics versions (on Steam this would be even easier, they can literally just add the game to your library for downloading).  Obviously the download codes would have to be tied to the user so they can't be abused.

Frankly though I'd be happy to pay like a £1 upgrade fee though.  How can us hardcore fans that already own the emulated ports support these ventures if they won't let us pay!?  =C

Or better yet why don't they name the new version of Sonic The Hedgehog just 'Sonic 1'. After all this is what most fans know it as. When CD was re-released in 2011 they called it 'Sonic CD' instead of Sonic The Hedgehog CD. So 'Sonic 2' instead of Sonic The Hedgehog 2 etc.

The price for Android (in the UK) is £3.99. So the new version would likely either be free on consoles, or the same price as the mobile platforms. I wouldn't blame SEGA for charging full price as they need to make money some how, and quality StealthTax releases deserve financial reward.

Edited by -Bender-

How is that a legal problem? I think your overthinking this.

How is it a legal problem? Ownership & Creative rights for one thing.

You couldn't do the 'upgrade' method and keep the trophy/achivement lists because it would be using assets that Backbone created, whilst they're just images from Sonic 1 & 2, the fact still remains they were created under contract by Backbone. So there would be some issues there with being able to use those via an upgrade.

So whilst you could have the same trophy unlock requirements, you couldn't keep the same images, you'd have to make your own, even if it was the exact same picture, someone else would have to make that.

So, uh, nothing happened yesterday?

I didn't realise we were expecting anything.

I didn't realise we were expecting anything.

Some people were, yes. Apparently Thursdays are when the store on iOS and Android update, and some reports on the port said it was slated for an April release. Honestly, I was expecting more people to be fussing about the lack of showing, hence why I asked.

Stealth, over at Retro:

I think it should be noted that it was Android Police (possibly misinterpreting/misquoting an overzealous rep at GDC making guesses) that said "April", not SEGA proper. The only proper statement from Sega other than putting a demo on display at the convention was the flier that was handed out, which just says "Spring 2013"

I can't give any new information, but that much is readily available. Any developing frustration toward SEGA, Taxman, and myself regarding impending and/or "missed" "release dates" is seriously misdirected, but the notion that anyone is that excited about it is pretty awesome :P

• Thumbs Up 2