Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Damn, Blue Blood you beat me to it! I was just about to post what Stealth said on Retro.

So there we go, a Spring release. Will likely be released in late May/early June. Still really looking forward to it though.

That also gives me renewed hope that this new version may be coming to consoles after all.

Edited by -Bender-

Oh okay. I haven't been keeping up with this so much due to my lack of interest in the product.

Hmm, knowing Sega's tendency to troll us by procrastinating this game will likely be out on June 20 (last day of Spring). Damn it sega.

Edited by Prince Solaris

How is it a legal problem? Ownership & Creative rights for one thing.

You couldn't do the 'upgrade' method and keep the trophy/achivement lists because it would be using assets that Backbone created, whilst they're just images from Sonic 1 & 2, the fact still remains they were created under contract by Backbone. So there would be some issues there with being able to use those via an upgrade.

So whilst you could have the same trophy unlock requirements, you couldn't keep the same images, you'd have to make your own, even if it was the exact same picture, someone else would have to make that.

Wait, are you talking about the achievement icons?!

Most of those were SEGA assets already with a blue background all backbone really owns is the background the rest I'm sure SEGA provided.

And hell I'm damn sure most of the stuff backbone wasn't given they googled seeing as the "Super Sonic" icon for Sonic 2 is JoeTE's custom Sonic Battle sprite he created and is posted at spriter's resource years before the BB release.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ahahahahaha, really?!

This is the first I've seen the Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 achievement lists, and those stolen fan sprites are hilarious. SEGA may or may not be able to change the achievement/trophy pictures, but frankly their current state is just a further testament to how lazy the Backbone ports are and why they need replacing.

Goku is probably right when he says you're overthinking this, Hogfather. There's red tape and legal issues everywhere these days, but I'm hesitant to believe that SEGA would have any sort of issue with achievements, yet along just cause of the images. CD '11 went as recreating two pieces of music due to licensing issues.

I'm very excited for this. However, I can't stop thinking that these ports are being released a bit too late. Wouldn't it have made more sense to release Sonic 1 and 2 on their 20th anniversaries? Sure, Taxman may not have proven himself yet with Sonic cd when sonic 1 remastered could have came out, but would it really be that hard to replicate the genesis physics, fix slowdown, add spindash, and remaster the soundtrack? Think Sonic Genesis done right. Same applies to Sonic 2 as well. Besides, Taxman would have already proven himself by 2012, making it the perfect time to release Sonic 2.

Can't wait for my free upgrade for this, I would probably buy it as i dot own all that many versions ( on a lookout for the originals for my collection though)

Just wondering will the level select cheats work on these versions. I know that it did work for sonic 1 (and 2, yup up,down, left, right worked for iOS sonic 2) until at least the last update.

Would be useful as my iPod has a habit of quitting apps without saving while in playing.

Also would be good to have debug mode (although I've never used it, I'd be interested in seeing it)

P.S. can someone from Retro please send me a PM I have a completely different matter I would like to contact Retro about in general and can't as I'm not a member there.

Edited by Jolt_TH

316010_10201026974297487_937407039_n.jpg

Americans-the time has come.

Everyone else? Wait your turn. Sadly.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, it just got released with no fanfare? Damnit I want my console version.............

Cool! But...Only America? SEGA just could make a proper announcement at least...

The lack of fanfare is surprising.

I really hope it comes to consoles. :c

It's fake.

In response to people talking about it being release at Retro, Taxman said this:

Nope.

EDIT: Might as well see below.

Edited by Blue Blood

Well, my bad guys. Came from Skyler's FB page, assumed it was legit. My apologies.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, just pulling your legs, guys. :V

I must say, I'm thrilled the icon I made was convincing enough to be passed off as the real thing.

You should still buy this when it actually comes out.

lol, the icon is the sort of thing I'm expecting. It matches the style of the poster and the S1 JPN art.

It's literally just the back of the Sonic 1 JP box with the text and stuff edited out.

It's literally just the back of the Sonic 1 JP box with the text and stuff edited out.

It's convincing enough.

I wonder what the (new) Sonic 1 icon for Android and iOS will look like on mobiles. CD of course used the picture of Metal Sonic and Sonic looking at each other. Would be kind of cool if the icon for Sonic 1 is something original.

Edited by -Bender-

I didn't get excited, since I have no iOS or Android device to buy it on. Console/handheld console release, please smile.png

• Thumbs Up 7

So I've read that Backbone Entertainment recently went defunct, according to reports on their SoR sequel pitch to Sega. I assume that replacing their existing ports with the Taxman/Stealth ports won't be too much of a hassle now (same applies to their other existing ports, presumably by different developers)?