Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Re: update vs seperate download, this would be very VERY easy to do on Steam.

Simply by owning Left 4 Dead 2, the recently released L4D2 Beta just appeared in my Steam Library for me to download if I so wished.  If people own Sonic 1 as a part of SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics, "Sonic 1 Remastered" or whatever they would like to call it, can just appear in libraries and be ready to download.

I think it would have to be a seperate application on Steam, as all Mega Drive emulated games on there just simply get added to the singular application of "SEGA Mega Drive and Genesis Classics" (or whatever it's called).  You then select your game and game display/control preferences in the application's interface.

360 and PS3... who knows.

Edited by JezMM

PS3 and 360 would be just as easy in theory I guess. But the problem there is cost. I know Microsoft charge loads of money for companies to issues updates, and Sony probably have something similar.

Track record suggested the potential of a console release. Get off your high horse because you know this isn't news to any of us. We're just expressing our disappointment and lack of understanding about the decision now that it's been confirmed.

http://i.imgur.com/20SUWCq.jpg

Decision confirmed? It was confirmed from the VERY start with this poster! They never said it will be released on consoles end of.

Don't tell me to get off my high horse because I'm not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, just a Steam release should be pretty fine anyway.

This is Sonic 1; it can't be that demanding hardware usage-wise. Couldn't really care less about 360 and PS3 though.

So I just watched the Sonic 1 CD trailer and... something caught my eye.

*video*

At around the 30 second mark.... What is that move tails does? it looks like some kind of bounce attack? Whilst you don't see the jump, the fall to the ground looks so much faster than it does normally. Is this just something thats been done in the edit or does he have some kind of extra move?

Saw that too, reminds me when you try to homing attack a piranha in Sonic 4, but the bastard escapes under the bridge and you end up  face planting the ground.

Saw that too, reminds me when you try to homing attack a piranha in Sonic 4, but the bastard escapes under the bridge and you end up  face planting the ground.

The speed of it reminds me of when you have a bubble shield in Sonic 3 and you perform that bounce attack.

Can anyone who has Tails unlocked have a little play and see if theres any secret moves at all?

I think just the moment it's cut at makes it look as if it's a faster drop. I think it's just the regular jump.

http://i.imgur.com/20SUWCq.jpg

Decision confirmed? It was confirmed from the VERY start with this poster! They never said it will be released on consoles end of.

Don't tell me to get off my high horse because I'm not.

Yes there was evidence beforehand that there'd be no non-mobile release, but people were still HOPING they'd announce something else later.  A new piece of evidence arising is a totally fair cue for resurfacing disappointment and worries that no such thing will be announced.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe SEGA means for this to be mobile only for the time being, but I would not be surprised if for the consoles, they decide to add the SEGA Heritage stamp on top.

Would you guys give SEGA a break if this port of S1, on top of the awesomeness it already is, had extras?

Like unreleased concept art, or interviews? Granted, we have seen 1000000000000 documentaries with data as such, but I am sure there is always something in their vaults worth adding to this port.

• Thumbs Up 1

You couldn't do an update on the Xbox 360... it's just not going to happen. The charge for the 'patch' is going to be upwards of $50,000.

With Sony, in theory you could do it since if it's considered a 'patch' then it wouldn't get a charge.

However, what I think would be their best course with Sony would be to offer it as a 'new' game, only keep the cost down to an amazingly low level like say $5/£2 then offer it as either a free download or a 50% discount for PSN+ users.

Alternatively...

Release a Vita & PS3 version of it, offer the Vita version as a free PSN+ version. Then hope it encourages people onto the PS3 version through word of mouth.

The problem with Xbox is that, if they do it via a patch update, the upfront charge to do it makes it almost completely unlikely to ever happen.

Given the intro music, I'd think a Sonic 1-3&K Vintage Collection release is the plan. Or 1 & 2 in one collection, and 3 & Knuckles in another.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm... actually going to agree with Ming here.

Seriously, at no point did I think there was going to be a console version, because of the aforementioned struggle with getting it out business wise. :I

And yeah, I noticed the "SEGA!" tune in the opening, so I reckon it'll be a collection of remakes. Hopefully.

No shit it was stated from the very begining. People were upset that it wasn't for consoles from the very begining too. 

• Thumbs Up 6

You couldn't do an update on the Xbox 360... it's just not going to happen. The charge for the 'patch' is going to be upwards of $50,000.

According to the developers that I've been luckily working side-by-side with for the last 3 years or so, they say that on Xbox 360 it's about $45,000 or so for a patch, but you get one free one per year. This may have changed, however. In addition, you've also got some kind of quota of free DLC for your game that you're allowed to have, before they charge you for it.

Interesting stuff. Of course, my memory may be off, but I had to wait for them to release a patch for their game at one point before I could get started on my task, wherein they explained the situation.

EDIT: Whoa that was uncharacteristically mature sounding on my part. Uh, SONIC 1 TAXMAN AND STEALTH EDITION LOOKS LIKE THE BOMB DIGGITY. Booyah, can't wait for Sonic 2 let's put in Hidden Palace Zone a'ight? Cool. Immaturity quota met.

Edited by SKANKFUNK
  • Thumbs Up 2

Booyah, can't wait for Sonic 2 let's put in Hidden Palace Zone a'ight? Cool. Immaturity quota met.

... ... .... Consiering what's been added to Sonic 1... is this idea completely off the table?

Probably shouldn't get hopes up.  Despite willing to, "Round 2" and Final Fever weren't remade for Sonic CD 2011 in order to keep the game faithful to the original in a way added spin dash and optional characters don't really infringe upon.

Edited by JezMM

... ... .... Considering what's been added to Sonic 1... is this idea completely off the table?

I certainly hope not. Taxman wanted to add Desert Dazzle and a new final boss to Sonic CD, so I can't see him and Stealth passing up the opportunity to at least ask SEGA if it'd be cool to recreate Hidden Palace Zone. After all, it was heavily advertised back in the day as far as I can tell, and it's even officially shown in that Sonic History book thing, and the song for it has actually been released officially on a soundtrack now as well. The only problem I can see is SEGA not wanting to muck with Sonic 2 -that- much, or feeling that Hidden Palace in Sonic 3 was good enough, and not wanting to 'wreck up the canon' (lol, yeah right. XD)

@EDIT: I wouldn't get my hopes up either, as JezMM said, but then again Sonic 1 iOS

has entirely new segments of Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone

, so there's that to consider, too. At the time of Sonic CD, they hadn't worked with Taxman (or Stealth) previously, right? Now there's a trust there, since the fans took to Sonic CD '11 so well.

Edited by SKANKFUNK

... ... .... Consiering what's been added to Sonic 1... is this idea completely off the table?

And Dust Hill Zone and Rock Zone and Wood Zone and Genocide City Zone and Winter Zone. C'mon Taxman, work :V

• Thumbs Up 1

CD

• Gameplay fixes
  • Physics/spindash/soundtrack options
  • Remade Special Stage
  • Tails

S1

• Gameplay fixes
  • Physics/spindash options
  • Remade Special Stage
  • Boss adjustments
  • Remastered soundtrack
  • Tails, Knuckles and Sonic & Tails mode
  • Tails and Knuckles exclusive areas

Yeah, I don't think Hidden Palace should be deemed impossible next time. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

In my head, the reason I would be remain very neutral on Hidden palace (not that I wouldn't want it), is that literally everything added to CD and 1 are optional (bar the smooth Special Stages, which were necessary changes for the new engine).  Even the newly designed areas, despite being unfaithful, are only accessible via Tails and Knuckles.

Desert Dazzle and Final Fever, again, as much as I wanted them, would have been inserted into the standard gameplay.

Of course... nothing would have stopped them from just adding an option of "Original Levels Only" mode to remove said stages, and the same could be done for Hidden Palace.

Still no Android D: I could quite easily get this on my iPod and be done with it...but my tablet has a better screen, so I guess I'll keep waiting. As for the console thing - bear in mind that SEGA released a Streets of Rage collection on XBLA when some of the games were also available separately. Unlikely though it is, the idea of a Sonic 1/2 Collection could still be considered as a seperate SKU.

In my head, the reason I would be remain very neutral on Hidden palace (not that I wouldn't want it), is that literally everything added to CD and 1 are optional (bar the smooth Special Stages, which were necessary changes for the new engine).  Even the newly designed areas, despite being unfaithful, are only accessible via Tails and Knuckles.

Desert Dazzle and Final Fever, again, as much as I wanted them, would have been inserted into the standard gameplay.

Of course... nothing would have stopped them from just adding an option of "Original Levels Only" mode to remove said stages, and the same could be done for Hidden Palace.

Time Attack exclusive. Problem solved?

Oh.

Guess I'll just stick with my Tails/Knuckles hacks in Sonic 1 then until Sega decides to make ports. I don't even have a mobile device. Pretty disappointing honestly.