Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Time Attack exclusive. Problem solved?

No, I want it where it was meant to be.  >8C  I'm not really sure what unique brand of Sonic fans SEGA are catering to when they make decisions like "no new levels" because of course we want them!  I tried out Taxman's old Retro Engine demo too and have complete faith in his classic Sonic level design skills.

• Thumbs Up 1

Consider that HPZ is still unfinished, but assets are all there for it (level slot, art, collision data, etc.)

Also consider we have on record Yuji Naka talking about the zone and how it was essentially a one-off playable cutscene to get Super Sonic (to ham up it's a pretty big deal.)

Solution: assuming that it even matters (while nice, HPZ really adds little to the game and, without a gimmick of its own, is a rather dull stage), it's possible to appeal to Sega that the zone can be implemented in a way that respects the ideas of the original development team. Desert Dazzle and Final Fever were completely new ideas, since we now know how some R2 assets looked like. It was not a Dust Hill-esque desert.

Edited by GeneHF
  • Thumbs Up 2

If that was the case then make it playable ONLY when you get all the emeralds?

I'm definitely disappointed that it's purportedly not coming to consoles, and I believe I'm 500% allowed to feel disappointed! SEGA really do not understand their loyal userbase, while they have the attention of passerby gamers who kinda fancy playing ~the old classics~ on their phone, the people who've stuck with SEGA all this time are console gamers, they're the people who will be most vocal about demand for the game, not the phone gamers! This kind of port is exactly the kind of port that loyal fans want, and they're giving it to everyone but the loyal fans? That's what doesn't make sense to me. So yes, I think it's ok to be a little peeved.

I know there may be hurdles getting the game on 360, but Sonic's 360 userbase isn't exactly giant anyway. Get the game on Steam, PS3, Vita and Wii U and a large majority of fans will be able to play it.

But either way I'm not gonna lose hope and do anything dumb like boycott, I intend to support this port (rimshot) however possible so I'll buy when it comes to Android. What I really want though is to see it his a proper console, one of those things with directional buttons and no erratic RAM, someday. I'm sure some day, if we all wish hard enough and tell SEGA we want it, it might happen! (´・ω・`) It sounds like Taxman's done a fantastic job once again!

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 5

Consider that HPZ is still unfinished, but assets are all there for it (level slot, art, collision data, etc.)

Also consider we have on record Yuji Naka talking about the zone and how it was essentially a one-off playable cutscene to get Super Sonic (to ham up it's a pretty big deal.)

Solution: assuming that it even matters (while nice, HPZ really adds little to the game and, without a gimmick of its own, is a rather dull stage), it's possible to appeal to Sega that the zone can be implemented in a way that respects the ideas of the original development team. Desert Dazzle and Final Fever were completely new ideas, since we now know how some R2 assets looked like. It was not a Dust Hill-esque desert.

Well one could build a gimmick for HPZ in the sense that it could be the area you go to as soon as you get all the Emeralds.  Wasn't that originally planned anyway?  You get the seven Emeralds, then you go to Hidden Palace and after you beat that then you can use Super Sonic?

I'm definitely disappointed that it's purportedly not coming to consoles, and I believe I'm 500% allowed to feel disappointed! SEGA really do not understand their loyal userbase, while they have the attention of passerby gamers who kinda fancy playing ~the old classics~ on their phone, the people who've stuck with SEGA all this time are console gamers, they're the people who will be most vocal about demand for the game, not the phone gamers! This kind of port is exactly the kind of port that loyal fans want, and they're giving it to everyone but the loyal fans? That's what doesn't make sense to me. So yes, I think it's ok to be a little peeved.

I know there may be hurdles getting the game on 360, but Sonic's 360 userbase isn't exactly giant anyway. Get the game on Steam, PS3, Vita and Wii U and a large majority of fans will be able to play it.

But either way I'm not gonna lose hope and do anything dumb like boycott, I intend to support this port (rimshot) however possible so I'll buy when it comes to Android. What I really want though is to see it his a proper console, one of those things with directional buttons and no erratic RAM, someday. I'm sure some day, if we all wish hard enough and tell SEGA we want it, it might happen! (´・ω・`) It sounds like Taxman's done a fantastic job once again!

Digital Sonic games sells tons better on Sony, they're always somewhere in the PSN Top 20 every month, I also think SEGA is betraying(because I can't find a better word right now) the fans by making this game mobile exclusive...

Also

(´・ω・`)

Hey OP, how's Denko? Did she got your e-mails?

Edited by Jango

I've just realised...

Thanks to this version of the game. That infamous Tails image in this magazine is now actually possible.

MegaDriveAdvancedGaming.jpg

Anybody not know what I'm talking about?

This is the best version of Sonic 1 that has been/will ever be made, right? So it makes perfect sense to bring the update to consoles. So why won't SEGA allow this. Too expensive? Don't make me laugh. They are slowly moving towards focusing more games on mobile platforms and less on consoles. SEGA will stop making boxed products in X amount of years. Then we will be left with digital downloads and mobile platforms.

So I love SEGA for giving StealthTax free rain, but they can bite my shiny metal ass for not bring it to consoles.

*Waits patiently for Sonic 1 to appear on Google Play*

FUCK PATIENCE, I WANT IT NOW!

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, I (will) quite like having it on my phone, like CD. I think it controls well enough and I can play it anywhere!

Not saying it shouldn't have a console release or anything, because it should. I'd love for it to hit the Vita, personally!

Just because one launch trailer says "exclusive" doesn't mean we should rule out all possibilities of other ports.

Like others have already said, Steam would be easy. If I had to guess, Sega's probably waiting for Sonic 2 to be done so they can pair the two for consoles.

Just a wild guess.

Man, if they released it on Wii U and Vita, I'd have a hard time not buying it on both, haha x-x

(hint hint SEGA, if you want your money that's a good way to get it out of me, just saying)

You know that opening but with the 3D box and everything, I thought it would be awesome if they added Sonic 2 and CD to this, merged it into one app, then when it opens you can choose the box of the game you wanna play, and the cartridge comes out like it does in the Sonic 1 version. Make it into like a Sonic Classic mix or something (and then add Sonic 3 & Knuckles

The whole leaving levels out of Sonic CD to "preserve the original feel" was idiotic. Yes, because everyone hates extra content. Not like you couldn't have an option to turn those levels off or something, anyway...

Hoping they at least include ONE scrapped stage in Sonic 2, otherwise I'll be kinda disappointed. I mean this is like the only chance anyone will have to play those levels "officially"!

Edited by cosmictruffle
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never heard of that magazine before...

Okay, that Magazine was the first issue and it contains a huge 7 or 8 page story on Sonic 2. Now based on how Sonic 2 turned out and all the 'Sonic CD development/Sonic 2 development' rumors, most of the article matches up.

So the article is going off genuine material...

However... the pictures and screenshots are not. In fact all but 2 are fake.

And what fakes they are. We have modified Sonic 1 screenshots, Artwork showing Sonic dressed as a caveman, frankenstein, holding a machine gun and wearing a berret.

But the most infamous one? There is a screenshot showing the marble zone that section where you push the block onto the switch which raises the spike trap?

Well... they removed the block, had Sonic standing on the switch looking up... At a very very dodgy looking Tails standing on the spike trap.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm confused. What's the source that says there will be no console or PC release? It seems a bit odd to me. Sonic CD 2011 got a pretty widespread release. Surely Sega want to make money?! :D

I'm confused. What's the source that says there will be no console or PC release? It seems a bit odd to me. Sonic CD 2011 got a pretty widespread release. Surely Sega want to make money?! biggrin.png

13 seconds in

I'm confused. What's the source that says there will be no console or PC release? It seems a bit odd to me. Sonic CD 2011 got a pretty widespread release. Surely Sega want to make money?! biggrin.png

Just the trailer that's been released, saying it's exclusively for the mobile devices, and Taxman saying that SEGA's not got any plans for it yet. It's not a 'Nope, not happening' but they're not even trying to tease us into thinking it's happening in the slightest.

Edit: Argh. D:

Edited by t0ms0nic

What I love about this release is that I truly feel like I'm playing it again... for the first time!*

I'm not hung up on stupid issues like I was with past rereleases. Sound is crisp, gameplay is great. I'm just straight up enjoying the game. I actually want to dig out my old Sonic 1 strategy guide.

*If I may steal an awesome line from the

• Thumbs Up 4

What I love about this release is that I truly feel like I'm playing it again... for the first time!*

I'm not hung up on stupid issues like I was with past rereleases. Sound is crisp, gameplay is great. I'm just straight up enjoying the game. I actually want to dig out my old Sonic 1 strategy guide.

*If I may steal an awesome line from the

Which is - probably - where SEGA got the idea for the heritage collection trailer:

I.e. shows picture of a small tv, then "this is the new widescreen format."

Soooooo looking forward to playing Sonic 1.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Got all the Emeralds on my first play through, I think I've only ever bothered to do it in Sonic 1 once before and I was surprised at how easy some of the Special Stages actually were, I only had to restart on the third one, the others I somehow managed on my first time o_O

Awesome game though, so perfect in every way. I very eagerly await Sonic 2 now, great work guys :)

Is it weird that I still want the Mystic Cave pit kept in the Sonic 2 remake? Metropolis may be a little easier too with widescreen.

Is it weird that I still want the Mystic Cave pit kept in the Sonic 2 remake? Metropolis may be a little easier too with widescreen.

There's nothing wrong with the pit, apart from the fact it takes you so long to die. Either they add means of escape, or they remove the spikes so it's bottomless and insta-kills even Super Sonic.

There's nothing wrong with the pit, apart from the fact it takes you so long to die. Either they add means of escape, or they remove the spikes so it's bottomless and insta-kills even Super Sonic.

Yes it would make perfect sense to make the pit a bottomless insta-kill, as Super Sonic is rendered useless due the pit being too big to jump out of. How ironic that Knuckles and flyable Tails (which are sure to be included in the enhanced version of Sonic 2) could get out of the pit without dying, unlike Sonic.

Edited by -Bender-