Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I do hope to have knuckles as an secret character, like CD had tails, I mean you could use him using Sonic and Knuckles.

"Yeah, Knuckles in Sonic 1! This is going to be the best remake ev--"

sonic_knuckles_no_way-13189.jpg

"Aww, balls."

• Thumbs Up 6

Well that is a rather bizarre (if pretty cool) announcement.

Not to say I don't appreciate it, because Sonic 1 is only one of two games in the entire franchise that I genuinely believe goes above and beyond the standard of quality the rest of the series sports (in other words, it's one of the only Sonic games I'd call "great" instead of just "good"). But it never struck me to be the type that needed a remastering in any way. It's not like it suffered because it lacked a spin dash or save feature, neither which I felt the game needed. It's also widely accessible on nearly every console known to man, whereas Sonic CD not only had sparse re-releases, but before the 2011 remake there was never one version that satisfied everybody due to the different soundtracks and particular porting issues.

I guess I can't complain though. The new soundtrack appears to be the selling point, which I hope turns out to be just as diverse yet similar in spirit to something akin of Cave Story Wii's post-patch soundtrack. I'm definitely looking forward to at least that, and if there are more substantial features such as playable Tails (the only Sonic character I give a shit about playing), then I certainly will consider picking it up because I hold firm to my belief that these are the kinds of re-releases that Sega should be doing rather than some of the other dumb shit in the past. However I just don't feel at the moment that this is an absolute must buy for me unlike Sonic CD 2011, because I never really believed that Sonic 1 needed that much improvement or needed to be made more accessible. I think it's a fantastic game as it is.

Now, Sonic 2 on the other hand...

• Thumbs Up 1

God dammit, just after I'd sworn never to buy Sonic 1 or 2 ever again after getting the original iOS versions, they actually go and release versions with genuine improvements. D:

Well, this is fucking wonderful to wake up to! It's made my day and I've not even been out of bed for an hour yet.

It's Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 being ported by Taxman. CD was announced "just a port", and yet it came with a multitude of fixes and improvements that made the game great. And even then it had missed potential by way of Desert Dazzle and Final Fever, so I'm confident these will be worth more than their price-tags regardless of content. Here's hoping that this comes to all the consoles and PC too, because I've every intention of buying every version that I can (Wii U, please). 

Oh and I don't believe this was posted yet (from Retro's topic):

Oh wow, I didn't realize this was already announced haha.

SEGA asked me not too long ago to go back and revamp the mobile versions of Sonic 1&2. No more emulation, these are Retro-Engine remakes.

"We've already played Sonic 1 a million times!"

I know, so have I tongue.png But this is more about bringing the other games into line with Sonic CD (iOS will get these as an update to the existing version). I can't mention specifics, but there will be the usual improvements and (non-sexual!) fan service

I'd like to also take this opportunity to mention Simon Thomley (Aka Stealth) has been working with me on this project. With our combined experience and different styles of "porting", this should be even more accurate than what I did alone with Sonic CD.

To clarify on the whole 'Remastering' thing:

The arrangements are identical to the originals, using FM synthesis. But they have been put together in a DAW environment and given an actual mix as opposed to simply recording the existing music. The Drum samples are sourced from the original synthesiser so they're super clean and crisp too.

• iOS versions will be updates for the originals! Guys, you don't have to buy them again! (even though you should be totally cool with that cost)
  • Improvements!
  • Remastered soundtrack, not remixed. Crisp samples and the original arrangements.
  • Fan-service
  • Many thanks to Stealth, too. For those who don't know, Stealth previously made a proof-of-concept port of S1 to GBA.

I never imagined I'd be so stoked for S1&2, but I'd never considered a Taxman port.

EDIT: End of the page FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 9

It'll be cool to own if I ever get the extra cash. But otherwise, I'm not going to rush out for this.

... Unless it comes to Steam. Please let it come to Steam.

Please?

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, that's awesome, so I don't have to buy them again! Even better then, bring it on. smile.png

Can we PLEASE have S3&K now, Sega? Sonic Classic Collection is still really the only legit way to play S3&K on the go. It's a shame it never made it into the PSP collection really; even if they do make an iOS version someday, touch controls are never as good as physical buttons.

Edited by -Mark-

Oh, that's awesome, so I don't have to buy them again! Even better then, bring it on. smile.png

Can we PLEASE have S3&K now, Sega? Sonic Classic Collection is still really the only legit way to play S3&K on the go. It's a shame it never made it into the PSP collection really; even if they do make an iOS version someday, touch controls are never as good as physical buttons.

The only thing I'm left asking for of SCD 2011 is that it's ported to 3DS (and why not Vita, too). And the same of these. I tend to prefer my 2D Sonic gaming on handhelds, and the 3DS would just be a perfect fit. Especially if they could work in 3D with the parallax scrolling. That'd be lush.  But still, I can't complain. And this makes me much more confident that S3K will get an enhanced port in the future, along with maybe other non-Sonic titles and maybe even a new Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, in the image in the opening post, at a glance I totally read some of the smaller text as 'Sonic the Hedgemoo'.

mellow.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh huh, just read Blue Blood's post addressing this:

To clarify on the whole 'Remastering' thing:

The arrangements are identical to the originals, using FM synthesis. But they have been put together in a DAW environment and given an actual mix as opposed to simply recording the existing music. The Drum samples are sourced from the original synthesiser so they're super clean and crisp too.

A tad disappointing if only because I was anticipating for a moment something like Cave Story's new soundtracks. Still pretty neat though.

I'm looking forward to hearing about what other new features will be present in these games. I haven't really jumped on the hype quite yet but something tells me I'll end up supporting these ports down the line anyway, since they certainly deserve it. Only problem is whether the inevitable PC/console versions will be outsourced like before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what to be excited about just yet but I am really looking forward to these. I kinda trust that there will be some neat extras and I'm willing to pay money for these games again if they're worth it.

Okay, just a bit late to the party!

You know I really should get myself an IOS or android device one of these days, since SEGA seem to make most of their - good - games for those platforms. sad.png  

It's great that a remastered soundtrack, proper widescreen and improved physics - spindash? - will be added. In the PS3 port of Sonic 1, Sonic's jumping feels very heavy and sluggish. So physics as fluid as Taxman's CD would be awesome. 

Now, Sonic 1 was originally released for IOS back in 2007, so the fact that SEGA are effectively releasing a new version of the game on the SAME platform really surprises me. Does that give us a glimmer of hope that we might get the new version on PSN & Xbla? I sincerely hope so, because it would sell like hotcakes!

But they haven't announced it for PSN & xbla, so SEGA you can bite my shiny metal ass...but if they do announce the new version for PSN & Xbla at some point, then I love you Christian Whitehead!

Edited by -Bender-

I'm glad the soundtracks are just remastering. I had this horrible fear of Project Chaos's "sounds nothing like the original" stuff for some arbitrary reason.

If this gets to consoles, I'm getting this anyway, not only to have better versions of this game that I don't have to use the Wii and Mega Collection to play, but also because Taxman is a dude and I will support him as his work's awesome.

Hope these new versions come to consoles and handhelds, otherwise I can't get them, since I lack a smartphone :-/

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm makes me curious. I dont know much about taxman's workrate or anything, but these seem like realitively small projects(just due to the fact the 2 games arent the heaviest gimic or feature-wise). So maybe he is working on another bigger project for a multi-consloe(and pc) release? like S3&K or Knuckles Chaotix, guess we will have to wait and see

Looks like everyone is really excited for the remastered soundtrack.

The only way a Sonic 1 port could be interesting is if they no longer make it play like Sonic 1 anymore and make it a new experience with physics changes.

Personally, I hope it stops feeling like Sonic 1 and more like Sonic 2.

I also really hope it comes to 3DS or Vita, a handheld console is perfect for games like these, and I was a bit sad that Sonic CD was only on home consoles and phones sad.png

If these come to 3DS and WiiU as well as phones n stuff, I'll consider buying it multiple times. Please SEGA let me give you my money, release it on 3DS or WiiU. :lol:

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 6

So support these re-re-re-re-releases for some vague promise of something down the line?

How about no. Guarantee us a new classic styled 2D Sonic platformer if x amount of units are sold and then I will consider it.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

oxVg2Pt.pngTrust us.

... Eh, I'll think about it. It better make my shriveled-up heart grow three sizes after playing it, though.

Glad it's getting this treatment. Also can't wait to see sonic 2

Sonic 1 imo has the best gameplay, i think it's cuz of the absence of the spindash. Content wise goes to the other 2

Edited by Djawed

Guys, it's being done with the same engine that's been proven to be able to be ported everywhere. I'd put actual money on it coming to PS3 and Xbox and PC and whatever later down the line.