Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Enter the game in No Saving mode

Tap SEGA in that order

Swipe up with two fingers on the title screen (might not register all the time)

On sound test, play 1 9 9 1 0 6 2 3 (oh hey, dats Sawniks berfdai!)

Select a stage

Tap the score to trigger debug

- + in the middle of the screen to select items

Hey, so the goggles show up when you are underwater!

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

DEBUG MODE RELATED SPOILERS:

SUPER KNUCKLES AND SUPER TAILS ARE IN.

I DUNNO IF YOU CAN GET THEM BY GETTING ALL 7 EMERALDS THROUGH LEVEL SELECT MODE, BUT YOU CAN WITH DEBUG MODE'S SUPER TV.

TAILS DOES NOT HAVE FLICKIES.

• Thumbs Up 2

Taxman and stealth. i have to say this port is fantastic. You guys have done a fantastic job and the extras you put in this are just brilliant. looking forward to sonic 2 and hopefully more. 

Sonic Retro are streaming the secrets of Sonic 1, get in here!

http://www.twitch.tv/vidyaretro

Watching this and it is soooooo funny. Reminds me of when I would play Sonic 2 with debug and my mum would yell at me for Tails abuse...

Anyways

Spawning the cute small animals and underwater goggles?! Awesome!!

:D

DEBUG MODE RELATED SPOILERS:

SUPER KNUCKLES AND SUPER TAILS ARE IN.

I DUNNO IF YOU CAN GET THEM BY GETTING ALL 7 EMERALDS THROUGH LEVEL SELECT MODE, BUT YOU CAN WITH DEBUG MODE'S SUPER TV.

TAILS DOES NOT HAVE FLICKIES.

I WANT TO LIKE THE SHIT OUT OF THIS.

I WEAR THE GOGGLES UNDERWATER

THEY'RE CUTE BUT THEY DO NOTHING.

Holy shit though, I can't get over the amount of effort that's gone into this entire thing! Rebuilt beta elements finished for debug mode bonuses? What seems like an entirely different vote via level select with super sonic and elemental TVs and insta-shield? I think I'll be spending most of my time on No Save Mode because this is utterly fantastic!

So, if all that was rebuilt for this Sonic 1 port.. what are the chances of...

Some of Sonic 2's unfinished stages being finished for that port's level select or enabled via level-select?? Hidden Palace? Wood Zone? I wonder! I'm really excited to see what they do with Sonic 2!

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

I can't hold it in anymore, I have to say it.

This is the best piece of Sonic software of all time.

-sigh of relief-

Glad to get that off my chest. I fucking love you, Taxman and Stealth.

• Thumbs Up 2

8747520307_ddd03e2a04_m.jpg

The seventh special stage is too F***ING HARD!

Edited by hypermikey

I have now done fours playthrough of Sonic 1. Got all the emeralds playing as Sonic & Tails and as Tails alone. Only got five emeralds with Knuckles because I fucked up the third special stage four times, and i'm too proud to press the 'restart' button on the special stages.

This game in terms of content is the best 2d Sonic game out there by a mile. 

Here is a couple of things about the game I really like.

When Playing as Knuckles and Tails exploration is where the fun is. Climb the first wall to your right in Marble Zone, Act 1 and you can get an invincibily box. Climb the first wall in Act 3 of Marble Zone...............and you get a UNIQUE ROUTE made exclusively for Tails and Knuckles to explore. How awesome is that. It is quite a tricky route, but really interesting. It reminds me of the Knuckles only routes in Sonic 3&K. What a brilliant addition.

I like the hidden walls that - I think - only Knuckles can smash through, like in Starlight Zone Act 1. It's also a lot of fun with Knuckles and Tails because it's so much easier to get to those hard to reach areas which normally take a lot of effort as Sonic. I managed to rack up an extra life count of 24 when playing as Tails. So there is plently of rewards for exploration.

When you play as Sonic with Tails as the AI, it looks so cool. Just like the good old days in Sonic 2 and 3. It's weird that Tails follows Sonic more closely in this version than he ever did in Sonic 2 or 3. Tails taking longer to react to Sonic's movements is of course more realistic, but with Tails following Sonic so closely it looks like they are in perfect sync with each other, which looks amazing. Being so close to Sonic means that Tails also hits the bosses a few times, which is a great help. 

Poor old Tails drowning in Labyrinth Zone does make me laugh, except for the part when he steals Sonic's air bubble! I love Tails swimming animation, he looks so damn cute.

The menu's in the game look lovely. The idea once you select your character that the normal title screen appears with the selected character is a nice touch. It's only a small thing, but fans of the classics can appreciate it.

The special stages don't feel any harder than in previous versions. The thing is, whilst the framerate in the special stages is now super smooth, Sonic moves slightly faster which makes it harder to avoid hitting a 'goal', and Sonic is still very hard to control in terms of movement. I try very hard to avoid hitting the red pinball sphere's. I like all the special stages except number 3 (big open one) which is a pain in my backside.

I love how when you complete the game (eg as Sonic and Tails) that you see them both run together in the credits.

I could go on and on and on. In short, this is a game to treasure. SEGA gave Taxman & Stealth free rain to do what they wanted with Sonic 1, and it shows. The fan service in this game is outstanding.

I give it a 9.9/10. There is no such thing as perfection, but this mobile version comes fucking close.

I know everyone has said this game is fantastic, but i'm gonna say it anyway. This game is.....

Knuckles-tastic!

sonic1knuckles.jpg

Edited by -Bender-

I knew it that was going to be one of the easter eggs! Then again I think everyone did.

My absolute favourite part of that stream was when he started spawning all those wrecking balls. Holy crap, they're actually proper objects that obey the physics and can even go completely through the loops if you drop them on a curved surface; it's such a simple yet incredibly brilliant idea. Immense kudos to Team Stealth Tax.

I wish you could beat every boss by dropping wrecking balls on them.

:P

• Thumbs Up 1

If the wrecking ball lands on a spring it will bounce. Fucking fantastic stuff right there.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Gonna sound dumb but what are those ufo-looking things in the Marble Zone screenshots?

Gonna sound dumb but what are those ufo-looking things in the Marble Zone screenshots?

Get out.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the beta version, there was UFOs spotted in screenshots of Marble Zone. This is a restoration of those.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea who this 'Taxman' guy is, but if he's merging the Beta versions of early Sonic games with their finalized versions, I'll be all over that shit like a bee to something stupidly sweet and yummy.

If the wrecking ball lands on a spring it will bounce. Fucking fantastic stuff right there.

When it rolled around the loop I was in stitches.

I have no idea who this 'Taxman' guy is

Dude from Sonic Retro who's behind the engine used for this and the 2011 Sonic CD release. You know the intro has a logo saying "Christian Whitehead"? That's him.

Edited by Super Spindash