Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

One thing I loved about Tails and Knuckles was they expanded Sonic stages in different ways, they encouraged the usage of alternate paths for each character, which is one of my favourite things about the whole series, and, as much as I love Amy as a character, one of the reasons she doesn't feel as useful to the series' gameplay as Tails or Knuckles.

Still, achieving that may be a bit of a tall order. Maybe there could be certain kinds of walls that only Amy could pass through, or springs or gimmicks that only her hammer could activate.

Yeah, I love Amy as a character too, but like you said, coming up with unique paths and stuff for her would be kinda difficult, especially in a simple remake of a game. :/

Ah well.

All that said, I'd love for Amy to be playable even if she doesn't have her own paths and stuff, but I can see why she's less valuable to the core gameplay than anyone else and I'm still praying for the day that this is rectified in the series!

I can't imagine what they could do to make exploration more fun as Amy without giving her completely non-sensical powers.

Instead, what if they did something like, when you jump + hammer off an enemy, she gets a burst of speed on the rebound unlike Sonic?

A sort of "expert" character who, for natural play is slower due to her increased difficulty of dealing with enemies, but when used properly, can actually go FASTER than Sonic overall.  Same speed boost could apply to using the hammer when running at top speed resulting in a quick (horizontal) spinning attack that also provides a speed boost without her leaving the ground.

Just ideas!

The real issue would be would the level design accomodate it, or would she end up just hitting walls all the time due to the playspace being designed with Sonic's rebound/speed in mind.

Edited by JezMM

She's pretty dang awesome in Heroes. I don't care about the fact that she's pretty much the same as Sonic there; running fast seems... just as suited for her as it is for Sonic kinda, y'know?

The only big issue with Amy though is that if her hammer is optional, she'll require more than one button to use.  This would be a very unique concept for the classics.

I can't imagine what they could do to make exploration more fun as Amy without giving her completely non-sensical powers.

Instead, what if they did something like, when you jump + hammer off an enemy, she gets a burst of speed on the rebound unlike Sonic?

A sort of "expert" character who, for natural play is slower due to her increased difficulty of dealing with enemies, but when used properly, can actually go FASTER than Sonic overall.  Same speed boost could apply to using the hammer when running at top speed resulting in a quick (horizontal) spinning attack that also provides a speed boost without her leaving the ground.

Just ideas!

The real issue would be would the level design accomodate it, or would she end up just hitting walls all the time due to the playspace being designed with Sonic's rebound/speed in mind.

Erm, ever so slightly crazy ideas....

It seems simple to me. Make it so Amy can spindash and spin attack, so that she can make it through the fast paced level design of Sonic 2. Then give her a unique ability by pressing double jump like with Tails and Knuckles. 

Super Amy would be awesome!

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only big issue with Amy though is that if her hammer is optional, she'll require more than one button to use.  This would be a very unique concept for the classics.

That's a good point too, I wonder if her character ability could be something activated with only one button like the others. Perhaps in air, the jump button would make her spin her hammer to have her swap places with things (like enemies, objects, even walls)? Or something simple yet potentially clever like that.

Maybe in the air, she could do a spin with her hammer for an extra height boost, kinda like a double jump if you will?

Heh, the possibilities are almost endless!

Maybe in the air, she could do a spin with her hammer for an extra height boost, kinda like a double jump if you will?

Heh, the possibilities are almost endless!

A double jump might be a good idea if it could achieve something that Tails couldn't achieve via flying or that Sonic couldn't do with the lightning shield.

There's a lot to think about when it comes to expanding 2D Sonic gameplay, it's a shame they haven't really ever expanded on the classic formula in a meaningful way since 1994. (by classic formula I mean the way Tails and Knuckles expanded on Sonic 1 rather than the boost mode in SAdv being more of a game-changer than an expansion)

Edited by SuperLink

Oh actually duh yeah, if the hammer IS her ability it would be as simple as jump again in mid-air to use it.

Assuming there's more to her hammer than just having to push jump twice to do the same thing that Sonic does when he jumps, control-wise it'd be as simple as that.

The only issue is she wouldn't be able to use her hammer while on the ground, unless that was somehow her version of the roll or spin dash.  Which to be fair... would work.  In Sonic, no-one wants to slow down, stop next to an enemy, and push a button to attack them.

Edited by JezMM

A double jump might be a good idea if it could achieve something that Tails couldn't achieve via flying or that Sonic couldn't do with the lightning shield.

There's a lot to think about when it comes to expanding 2D Sonic gameplay, it's a shame they haven't really ever expanded on the classic formula in a meaningful way since 1994. (by classic formula I mean the way Tails and Knuckles expanded on Sonic 1 rather than the boost mode in SAdv being more of a game-changer than an expansion)

How about a shockwave when she lands?

...That may be a little overkill though.

• Thumbs Up 1

How about a shockwave when she lands?

...That may be a little overkill though.

If she could use it to break open passages below her that Sonic can't break with his normal jump, that'd be a pretty nifty way to expand gameplay. I honestly hadn't thought of that o: Tails and Knuckles can go up with gliding or flying, Knuckles can break through walls that Sonic can't, and Amy would be able to access hidden passages below the stage.

Sounds neat, I wish it had a chance of becoming reality :P

• Thumbs Up 2

That would be cool haha.  She'd blitz Marble Garden without having to use the spinny things!

That would be cool haha.  She'd blitz Marble Garden without having to use the spinny things!

It's just like Generations showed in the mission where you have to race her using the spinning tops. xD

If they allow Taxman to add Hidden Palace to the remake, does anyone think we might end up getting an update for cd that restores Desert Dazzle and Final Fever? Judging from the screenshots and quotes from Taxman, they look nearly, if not completely, finished. Fighting a boss by using time to your advantage sounds like a unique concept to me.

If they allow Taxman to add Hidden Palace to the remake, does anyone think we might end up getting an update for cd that restores Desert Dazzle and Final Fever? Judging from the screenshots and quotes from Taxman, they look nearly, if not completely, finished. Fighting a boss by using time to your advantage sounds like a unique concept to me.

The difference between Hidden Palace and Final Fever is that Hidden Palace was already quite heavily implemented into the game, Final Fever was, iirc, just a concept that never made it into CD at all.

So I kinda doubt it'd be put into CD on account of being 100% new, while Hidden Palace already has quite a lot of work done into it. (Though apparently it was only intended to be used for a Super Sonic cutscene anyway, who knows)

Maybe if we're lucky, we might get original content from Taxman someday anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

The screenshots were literally nothing but mock-ups done to propose the idea of adding levels.

Yeah. IIRC, Hidden Palace Zone was almost finished before it was scrapped.

If we do get restored zones, I place my bets on Hidden Palace and Wood Zone at most.

The screenshots were literally nothing but mock-ups done to propose the idea of adding levels.

Taxman said that DD & FF were half finished. He even had demo's for the music for each new zone.

It would take a lot of work to get the zones finished and applied to the mobiles version, and with Sonic 2 next on the list I think they have 'missed the boat' as it were. It's too late now to add the extra levels.

Edited by -Bender-

He should just finish the level, call it "Desert Dizzle" and release it as an original creation.

I also don't think they would as the console gamers would probably loose out, considering it costs to put updates in consoles

You know, Sonic 1 was my least favorite of the classic 3, but Sonic 2 better watch out now, thanks to Stealtax.

One point I just remembered is that Microsoft (and possibly Sony) charge for updates. What if SEGA isn't bothering to update the consoles for a free update because they would have to pay a big fee?

One point I just remembered is that Microsoft (and possibly Sony) charge for updates. What if SEGA isn't bothering to update the consoles for a free update because they would have to pay a big fee?

I don't think Sony do anymore, or if they do it's far cheaper.

MS on the other hand charge a ridiculous amount.