Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Just got the level select to work.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Tails swims! Ahhhhh, that's adorable. Suddenly makes Labyrinth Zone my favourite. :3

Also I've been wondering about the console/PC version, as I mentioned in another thread. The Android one is OK (and I'll probs play it loads, public transport and what not, like I do with Jump) but I think I would prefer it on Steam. I know that MS charge to update any games but what about Steam? Do they charge to update a game that's already in their Store? Or would they sell it as a new game?

Edited by MamboCat

Even though the exchange about playable Amy ended already, I'd like to throw my thoughts out there. But first, I'd like to point out that the simple, one button gameplay of the classic Sonic games was a great virtue, and I would say it's one of the things that absolutely should not be messed with. Thankfully, I saw that people were already realizing this.

So, anyway, Amy moveset. When Amy jumps, she should swing her hammer as she spins through the air in what I'm calling the Hammer Spin. Instead of rolling, Amy would spin like a top while swinging her hammer in what I'm calling the Hammer Twirl. The idea behind these two moves is that the hammer constantly extends the range of the attack in the same way that Sonic's Insta-Shield does, granting her the passive ability to defeat enemies without touching them.

The trade off would be that Amy can't do the Spin Dash. Instead, she would have a move from Sonic Advance 3 called the Amy Dash, which is basically a less cool looking version of the Super Peel Out. The end result, in my mind, is that Amy would have the same functionality as the others with a little more technical nuance.

Unfortunately, I really can't think of any sort of movement ability that would be both appropriate for Amy and on par with what Tails and Knuckles offer. The best move for her would probably be a simple double jump, for a little extra maneuverability.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, I really can't think of any sort of movement ability that would be both appropriate for Amy and on par with what Tails and Knuckles offer. The best move for her would probably be a simple double jump, for a little extra maneuverability.

I'm still thinkin the ability to smash open passages below her with her hammer is the way to go.

Taxman said that DD & FF were half finished. He even had demo's for the music for each new zone.

It would take a lot of work to get the zones finished and applied to the mobiles version, and with Sonic 2 next on the list I think they have 'missed the boat' as it were. It's too late now to add the extra levels.

Oh wow I had no idea.  That's tragic.  8C

I'm still thinkin the ability to smash open passages below her with her hammer is the way to go.

The only problem is this STILL isn't quite interesting enough.  It'd be like Knux ONLY having the ability to break open specific passages (and easily break open ones that require spin dash for the other characters).  But Knux has climbing and gliding too.

Yeah, I'm still thinking the smashing things below with her hammer is best as well. Maybe have paths that are only for her like Sonic 3 does for Tails and Knuckles. The mid-air spin with her hammer for an extra height boost may still be alright too. It'd be the Lightning Shield without a Lightning Shield, haha.

The only problem is this STILL isn't quite interesting enough.  It'd be like Knux ONLY having the ability to break open specific passages (and easily break open ones that require spin dash for the other characters).  But Knux has climbing and gliding too.

Yeah that's true, having a character specific thing that opens specific passages is ok, but not the same as climbing or flying to traverse the stage in different ways.

In that case it's tough :C there has to be something.

Yeah that's true, having a character specific thing that opens specific passages is ok, but not the same as climbing or flying to traverse the stage in different ways.

In that case it's tough :C there has to be something.

How's about we just randomly slap wings on Amy from now on and let her fly like Tails? xD

How's about we just randomly slap wings on Amy from now on and let her fly like Tails? xD

The hypothetical goal here would be to give Amy some way to expand on classic Sonic gameplay like Tails n Knuckles did.

Considering how hard it is to think of anything, maybe Dimps had the right idea when they made her like "hard mode"..!

Considering how she's weaker than Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (I do love Amy as a character, but hey, sometimes you gotta face the facts, it's true) Dimps probably was being in the right when putting her down as 'hard mode'. Then again, this was Advance 1, back when Dimps didn't take level design and beat it with a dead horse-- oops, I mean, speed boosters.

I'm thinking a bit along the LEGO Batman/Star Wars route, maybe have some sort if obstacle that only Amy can overcome? Like have propellor objects and when she does her spindash (like the aforementioned "hammer twirl") she causes it to spin and open a path or something?

The other characters could run right past ( as could she) while still giving her something

Edited by Jolt_TH

Considering how she's weaker than Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (I do love Amy as a character, but hey, sometimes you gotta face the facts, it's true) Dimps probably was being in the right when putting her down as 'hard mode'. Then again, this was Advance 1, back when Dimps didn't take level design and beat it with a dead horse-- oops, I mean, speed boosters.

Incidentally, besides the unnecessary inclusion of B-button attacks, there was something about Sonic Advance as a whole that just didn't feel right, and one day I'll understand what that is.

I'm thinking a bit along the LEGO Batman/Star Wars route, maybe have some sort if obstacle that only Amy can overcome? Like have propellor objects and when she dies her spindash (like the aforementioned "hammer twirl") she causes it to spin and open a path or something?

I was thinkin' something like that too, but as Jez pointed out, being able to only expand a certain kind of passage, while better than nothing, doesn't offer the same kind of expansion that Tails and Knuckles offered.

But gosh, considering Tails couldn't fly in Sonic 2, it was really Sonic 3 & Knuckles that expanded on the gameplay so much.

I will never get over how amazing the design in that game is.

The problem is, I think Tails and Knuc pretty much have it covered in terms of level exploration, Tails can go to the high places, Knux can smash through walls, those are about the only obstacles that are in the way of exploring with Sonic

All I can really think about for Amy is a hammer strike then. Tapping the button while in mid air causes her to slam her hammer down, breaking open paths below.

Tails goes the higher route.

Knuckles and Sonic go in the middle route.

Amy goes the lower route.

Seems alright.

All I can really think about for Amy is a hammer strike then. Tapping the button while in mid air causes her to slam her hammer down, breaking open paths below.

Tails goes the higher route.

Knuckles and Sonic go in the middle route.

Amy goes the lower route.

Seems alright.

Yeah it's better than nothin'. The hard mode element probably helps to shake things up too.

But if Amy were to be in a classic game, she shouldn't have extra button attacks, one button is fine. Considering that, I think it's only fair for Amy to be able to spin attack on the ground so she can attack, just perhaps not when jumping or dashing.

Edited by SuperLink

After being on the iPod since 2007 and the iPhone since 2009, this happened this week:

263308_10201093251034364_604282701_n.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

Fantastic news. It must have sold well before already, meaning it's garnered some good attention for the update despite being out for ages.

I really hope it continues to be a success.

On the UK iPhone charts, it's at no.8. If this was a brand new release ala CD I'm sure it'd be even higher. But considering it's been out for so long already, SEGA must be happy with the results. 

• Thumbs Up 1

RE: All the Amy talk. 

Personally, I would not be opposed to Amy being playable in the classic games at all. I like her character, and she has some cute tools at her disposal. In practice, however, she really doesn't have a chance at being playable in these remakes. 

Firstly, one has to consider that this is just basically just going by the classic cast, not the entire franchise's cast. On paper, there's still a lot of options, but in reality the effective cast is six characters since the only games really taken to heart are Sonic 1-3&K and CD. 

Why is this note particularly important to why Amy can't really be playable in the remakes? Well, by cutting off the 'modern' aspect of Amy's character, you're essentially reducing Amy's usability as a playable character to zero. She wasn't as nimble as any of the other characters, she couldn't attack if her life depended on it, she was just the damsel. You can't work that into a moveset. And I know she had her Piko Piko hammer in StF, but she wasn't nearly as proficient with it as she is in the modern games, not enough to make it usable for passage breaking and stuff like that. 

I dunno, if you want to take supposed canon into a reason for a character to not make sense;

• Tails and Knuckles shouldn't be in Sonic 1 at all, Sonic hadn't met Knuckles in Sonic 2 either, he was on angel island the whole time
  • Tails and Knuckles are far slower and weaker in modern games than they are in classic games!
  • Amy typically goes all over the place, from being completely proficient in games like Advance and Heroes and to an extent Fighters, she's pretty weak in Adventure and 06, there is absolutely no consistency in her power or ability

Honestly, while you have a point, I don't think canon can be fairly applied here. For the classic games, particularly the Taxman games where we can play as Tails and Knuckles where we shouldn't be, there's really no solid reason Amy shouldn't be included.

However I don't think she'll be in anyway, and I think that's more to do with the fact she isn't typically associated with the classic era and also would have to be made from scratch, whereas Tails and Knuckles already exist in S3&K and people want to play as them in the other classics.

• Thumbs Up 2

This isn't about canon particularly, this is about the apparent schism that SEGA makes between classic and modern. There's been some fascinating insights on it at Bumbleking. But long story short, anything from Adventure onwards wouldn't be considered. 

I'm not totally hot on the idea of other new characters. There's only so much you can do without sort of trashing on the original game, and S1 manages that really well by only adding in removed features and bringing it up to scratch with the other games in the series. More stuff, like Amy or any other characters, would be a step too far. Desert Dazzle in CD would have been great as it was clearly a nod to Dust Hill.

It's not like I'd complain if more was to be added, I just don't think it needs doing. Save that goodness for an all new game.

It's not like I'd complain if more was to be added, I just don't think it needs doing. Save that goodness for an all new game.

I think the eagerness to put Amy in comes from a fear that we may never have her playable in a good 2D Sonic ever again otherwise.

EDIT: That and people want a really new way to experience the classics while still using a classic character, I guess? Extras always make people happy!

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking at it from the perspective of; I liked the hacks, I think they worked well and I think Amy's inability to dash and spin attack would make her quite a nice "hard mode", but I can see why people wouldn't like it. Afterall the classic games are about running and jumping into robots with one button.

Also I should make it clear I am referring to classic Amy, not the modern version. :3

Oh man I just noticed this;

1eed9b36b1cde9816c598b48f8c3e5af.png

"GOTTA GO FAST"! I love it! It's especially hilarious when SEGA acknowledge the meme through official material :lol:

• Thumbs Up 5

GOTTA GO FASTER, FASTER

FASTERFASTERFASTERRRRR!

Pleased to see controller support there; I might look into that. I keep dying in really stupid ways that a long time player like me really shouldn't be doing! :D

• Thumbs Up 1