Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I don't really have the time to catch up with the past 20+ pages, but I have two questions: What's the save feature like? Like Sonic 3 where I can go back and collect the emeralds whenever I want or does it just save whatever level I'm at and I can continue from there, but not go back?

Were the seventh emerald and Super Sonic added?

It's like Sonic CD, you continue from where it saves and you can't go back.

And as for the second question;

Yes, but only via No Save Mode's level select cheat

This may sound petty, but I really don't like that my save file becomes locked on Final Zone once I've completed the game. Why can't I go back and play through the stages as I please, possibly even with the option to activate or deactivate all the extra debug features? It's not necessary with a level select and debug being present in no save mode, but still. A trifle annoying.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had this kinda thing happen in the Marble boss fight. Got to Eggman, Marble's music faded out, no boss music. Only silence apart from SFX. Landed the final hit, boss music kicks in for a matter of milliseconds, then switches back to the Marble one like it should when you defeat the boss. It was weird. o_o

Autosaves when you finish an act, can't go back. There's a Time Attack mode if you want to play a certain act, though.

7th Emerald and Super Sonic can be found in Debug Mode, but not in the regular game. Only six emeralds and no super form.

It's like Sonic CD, you continue from where it saves and you can't go back.

And as for the second question;

Yes, but only via No Save Mode's level select cheat

To be honest hat kind dampens my excitement for the game. Though, to be fair I wasn't exactly excited for it in the first place :-/

Still hope Taxman does Sonic 3 & Knuckles one day, though.

This may sound petty, but I really don't like that my save file becomes locked on Final Zone once I've completed the game. Why can't I go back and play through the stages as I please, possibly even with the option to activate or deactivate all the extra debug features as I please? It's not necessary with a level select and debug being present in no save mode, but still. A trifle annoying.

Agreed. Especially considering that it appears as though all the Mega Drive / Genesis games are being brought into line with each other, so a Sonic 3 save file system would've made more sense.

Also I'd have liked at least one more save slot. At the moment I have:

Sonic

Tails

Sonic & Tails

Knuckles

All complete with all emeralds. Now the only way that i can play the game is either through 'No Save Mode' or I have to delete a saved game in order to pick up from where i left of previously. Annoying.

In a way, this version of Sonic 1 is so awesome, that you can almost forgive these small annoyances.

It's funny to me that people are happy to say "Hey here's a bug that I've noticed, thought you all might wanna know!" as opposed to the memes that were all the rage when Sonic 4's bugs came to light. This speaks volumes for this (dare I say it? Hell I'll say it!) masterpiece. biggrin.png

post-2762-0-44260100-1369066948_thumb.jp

Edited by hypermikey
  • Thumbs Up 2

This may sound petty, but I really don't like that my save file becomes locked on Final Zone once I've completed the game. Why can't I go back and play through the stages as I please, possibly even with the option to activate or deactivate all the extra debug features as I please? It's not necessary with a level select and debug being present in no save mode, but still. A trifle annoying.

I agree. I think the option to replay any stage after completing a story (like you could with S3&K) needs to be added to Sonic 2, because you play through 11 zones which is a lot. This would also allow you to play as Super Sonic in Emerald Hill Zone - Act 1 without the need for debug mode.  

I'm kind of hoping they give us optional alternative S3&K physics in Sonic 2, just so that Sonic controls nicer. As long as Tails can fly and we get Knuckles then I will be happy. The option that allows Tails to carry Sonic in Sonic 1 is just brilliant. Hope that's included in Sonic 2 as well.

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

If S3K does happen, I hope to God there's a soundtrack option.

Considering Taxman hails from the Sonic Retro community, I imagine he'll be taking a lot of cues from the popular Sonic 3 Complete if they are working on S3&K.  While they give you the option to change it, I think the default handled the music perfectly in that game.

S3 Knux music used for cut-scenes with S&K music used for the boss fight

Sonic 3 Ending used for final cut-scene instead of Sky Sanctuary

Cut full S3&K medley reinstated for credits

All in all great choices, with customisation options for stuff like what invincibility theme to use etc.

If S3K does happen, I hope to God there's a soundtrack option.

I'll assume you're referring to the two different gameplay jingles Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles had such as the Super Sonic/Invincibility song. But I digress for the following.

Glad you brought up soundtracks, because I for one would love to see an option for the use of the alternative Sonic 3 tracks from S&K PC Collection. I love the Genesis originals, but IMO this arguably fits Carnival Night more than the Genesis "MJ Jam/stalker clown" version.

If possible, it would be sweet FM Synth and General MIDI versions-or if possible, the tracks rearranged on the Genesis, that would be so cool! Like how this guy did it:

I'd even go as far to say some of the remixes of the original weren't half bad, some even better than the Genesis version (

). But that's just me. Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2

You assume incorrectly. I'm actually referring to the PC soundtrack just as you suggested there tongue.png Sorry to everyone who holds it as the holy grail of all Sonic music, but

will never ever be Ice Cap Zone to me. And this blows the MegaDrive version out of the water:

• Thumbs Up 2

I wish SEGA would give us some specifics. Anywhere in the top 25 is great, but I'd like to know exactly where about it ranks. And just how big of an impact the update has had.

I don't have a problem with the onscreen button images really, I just find touch screen controls to be inaccurate and frustrating compared to D-Pads.

But hmm, if I can get that to work I just need to figure out how to hook my Android up to the TV tongue.png

I don't know if someone already answered this for you, and I mentioned this a couple of pages back. But you can connect your Android to your TV by using a mcro-HDMI cable.

That's how I've been playing it, and let me tell you it looks great.

130516-213549_zpsbd54719c.jpg

You assume incorrectly. I'm actually referring to the PC soundtrack just as you suggested there tongue.png Sorry to everyone who holds it as the holy grail of all Sonic music, but

will never ever be Ice Cap Zone to me. And this blows the MegaDrive version out of the water:

Agreed with Carnival Night, not Ice Cap :P Funny, I never owned Sonic 3 on my Genesis back in the day, only had S&K, my first contact with the game was through the PC Collection ^^ Adding both soundtracks if Sonic 3 & Knuckles got Tax'd would be godlike.

SEGA needs to fire Dimps and hire Stealth and Tax full-time for the 3DS. I have my complete trust on them for a brand new title.

• Thumbs Up 6

According to TSSZ:

"It now appears word is spreading about the Taxman and Stealth remastered Sonic the Hedgehog, and mobile gamers aren’t just upgrading the game–they are buying.

Over the weekend and into today, the version 2.0 Sonic jumped up to peak at 6th on iPhone and 13th on iPad. It hasn’t really budged far from those spots since, which at least shows some consistency, but it still has a ways to go to reach the levels of Sonic Dash, a free app, which has hit the top of the charts both on iPad and Phone, as well as Taxman’s previous remaster Sonic CD, which topped the iPad charts but maxed out at third on iPhone."

Sonic 1 is showing as 6th on Google play - Top Paid Apps - for Android.

I get the feeling Sonic 1 could be even higher in charts if SEGA had done a little bit more advertising prior to release, but this is still really good. With Sonic 2 on the way, good sales gives me hope SEGA will want to give Sonic 3&K the same treatment (Taxman and Tiddles could make 3&K even more perfect).

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, with all the crazy stuff these guys packed into the game, I feel like there is one missed opportunity, and it's not as crazy as playable Amy. I mean, let's be honest, the idea of adding playable Amy will never not be at least a little crazy.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't put together more dual character choices, like Sonic & Knuckles or Knuckles & Tails, or even opposite arrangements like Tails & Sonic. Even if there wouldn't be any gameplay differences with some of these pairings, I still think they'd be worth having. For a laugh at the very least.

• Thumbs Up 2

It may be slightly missed potential, but the mere fact that Tails, Knuckles and Sonic & Tails are there is plenty for me considering the way they did it. 

I don't mean to trivialize what they did add, because what they did add is really freakin' cool, it's just something that jumped out at me as being a really cool thing they could have done.

Eh, maybe it could be their big addition for Sonic 2, or maybe Sonic 3 & Knuckles if they do end up going that far.

Alright, for people who don't have an Android/iOS phone, here's a suggestion from someone over at Retro:

(For anyone who already knows about Bluestacks, please disregard.)

Alright, for all the people bitching over the lack of a PC port? Stop, because you can start playing this today, just as I am doing now.

1. Download Bluestacks. It's an Android emulator that uses your PC hardware and then can sync with real app stores. 
2. Sync Bluestacks with your google account/gmail.
3. Search for "Sonic" in app search.
4. Select "Sonic the Hedgehog" and get it from the android store. (Select Sonic CD if you haven't done so yet too, you tool, as the android version has all the bugfixes)
5. Put in card info and pay for it. (No piracy involved here!)
6. Download it.
7. Click the app.
8. Play the game. Use the arrow buttons for directions, and numbers 1 and 2 for buttons A and B respectively. P for pause.

Viola! PC version! Only downside is no controller support yet.

Want to play this on your HDTV without a tablet? A few further steps.

9. Get a laptop or hook your Desktop to your PC via HDMI/VGA.
10. Make sure you've already done 1-6 for this device.
11. Set your PC/Laptop to mirror mode.
12. Use an HDMI cable long enough for you to still keep your laptop on your lap, or get a wireless USB keyboard.
13. Sit your ass on a comfy couch and start the game. Viola. Your HDTV is now playing Taxman's Sonic 1 in HD widescreen!

Sadly, no controller support yet for Bluestacks, but again, keyboard controls work very well, especially with a wireless keyboard or an HDMI cable long enough to reach wherever you sit down. (get a 10footer)

I will be doing this to play every taxman release until a proper console version is out, and I don't even own a smart phone or tablet!

I can confirm that Bluestacks works perfectly with the Sonic CD demo with both keyboard and my 360 controller (except for being unable to roll while holding left/right, that might be a bug specific to the demo), I'll probably buy Sonic 1 later when I can.

Edit: I've bought it, the rolling control issue is still there, and you can't access debug mode unless you happen to have a multi-touch monitor. Let's hope that can be fixed.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 2

I actually had no idea about this. biggrin.png This is great, thanks. As I'd bought it on my google account it already knew I had the game so I didn't need to pay for it again, but on the other hand it looks like it doesn't sync the actual game saves so I think it will let me play it on the PC and on my tablet on the go. Yaay.

Agh, but my Joytech 360 controller doesn't work. I mean, Bluestacks recognises it but the game doesn't. Meh.

Edited by MamboCat

Dunno if its a glitch but I got stuck with Knuckles in Spring Yard Zone between the spring and the bumper (down the pit with the shield) and I couldn't move him, I was on the very side and couldn't move him until I eventually got time over, is this something to so with Knuckles' hit box being bigger than everyone else's?

Dunno if its a glitch but I got stuck with Knuckles in Spring Yard Zone between the spring and the bumper (down the pit with the shield) and I couldn't move him, I was on the very side and couldn't move him until I eventually got time over, is this something to so with Knuckles' hit box being bigger than everyone else's?

I get trapped there with near all of the characters. Makes me kinda wish the bug where you can stand in the spring was still in this version.

Every character gets stuck there, but I know Tails and Sonic can move out. Best thing to do is to move closer towards the wall and then back out. Dunno if Knuckles has it worse though cause of his hit box. It's naff design either way and I think that the space should be filled in, or the springs in the corner removed.

Think i've done about 15 complete playthroughs of Sonic 1 SteathTax. I enjoy the most playing as Tails alone and Sonic & Tails. Playing as Knuckles is cool but his move set often catches me out due to the touch controls.  

My best life count total in a complete playthrough is 40, which I achieved today with Tails. I think 43 lives is achieveable, but that would require absolute perfection.  

I adore this version of Sonic 1. I think I will now start playing around with Debug mode.

Edited by -Bender-