Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I find Knux to be a "hard mode" in this game, his lower jump I think but I can't do as well than when I am playing as Sonic, Tails is pretty much "look at me I'm a badass skipping the level mode" :P

I find Knux to be a "hard mode" in this game, his lower jump I think but I can't do as well than when I am playing as Sonic, Tails is pretty much "look at me I'm a badass skipping the level mode" tongue.png

I dunno, I find the stage skipping doesn't often work outside of Green Hill and bits of Spring Yard. All the other stages, even Starlight are laid out in such a way you just can't fly or glide over them. Knuckles is hard mode though for sure. It would have been extra awesome if they gave him slightly harder bosses ala S3K too. I always loved that.

Well its definitely easier to play zones like Marble IMO with Tails Flying. Feels like they brought back the difficulty from S3&K, Tails = easy, Sonic = normal, Knuckles = Hard.

Agreed on the bosses thing, maybe something simple like a new pinch attack or something? We haven't encountered it before so we don't exactly know how to counter it.

The bosses in Sonic 1 are pretty easy. The only boss that occasionally gives me grief (as Knuckles or Sonic alone) is the one in Spring Yard zone. This is mainly because i'm so used to hitting that boss twice (on the previous versions of Sonic 1) each time it comes down at you and removes a block-piece of the floor with it's spike. It's just a bit harder to hit it using the touch controls, and if you only hit he boss once (each time it attacks) you soon start to run out of floor. In this version it's an insta-kill when Eggman lands on top of you. You get crushed even if you have rings.

I don't know why they put up those side barriers for the Spring Yard boss. If they had made an extra block of floor available (due to the widescreen) then it would have made the boss a bit easier.

Edited by -Bender-

Just want to say something for those of you who are going to buy this off that emulator Shirou posted:

It uses WASD controls, with K and L for the controls. It took a little getting used to for me.

Press P to pause.

I like this port, the true 16:9 is great, and while it's not "holy fucking shit sex to my ears" good, the remastered soundtrack is a nice addition.

Edited by y cant solkia crawl

So there's an emulator that can actually run this then? Sweet. I'll try to pick up Sonic 1 and maybe even CD off the app store soon and give this a go.

Lack of controller support doesn't even matter since there's Joy2Key.

I tried to find Shirou's post, but couldn't so I'll just loosely repeat what he said:

1.Google search "BlueStacks emulator". It emulates the Appstore, but you won't be pirating the game: you have to legitimately buy it through the emulator.

2. Search "Sonic the Hedgehog" in the search function. It's the little magnifying glass at the top of the screen.

NOTE: This emulator is licensed. It's entirely legal for those that are worried about that. 

Edited by y cant solkia crawl
  • Thumbs Up 4

Currently playing around with debug mode and Super Sonic.

Debug mode is always good fun. I like using it to find new areas that I never knew about or had forgotten.

Gotta say I love that you can play as Super Sonic. It's pretty much Super Sonic from Sonic 2, only with much better controls (like S3&K's SS) and thus is much more fun to throw around really fast.

If you play as Sonic & Tails, then Tails can still carry Sonic in his super form (like in S3&K). You should have been able to do this in Sonic 4 Ep2.

It's interesting how when you are Super Sonic it plays the invincibility music, whereas in Tiddles Sonic 3 Complete hack it plays the 'fast shoes' music. 

Any idea when they might do an update to iron out the odd glitches with the music etc?

Edited by Clara Oswald

Okay, I just bought it and I'm playing in "No Save Mode" through the Bluestacks emulator right now. Pretty cool, so far. I'm loving the widescreen and 60fps, but I suck at the special stages though.

BlueStacks runs really really really slowly on my crappy old laptop, so you should download the free "Sonic CD Lite" app to see if your computer will run it well beforehand.

So SSMB member Symbolic found a pretty cool bug.

Symbotic

Cool. If you get a game over with Sonic & Tails on Sonic 1 Taxman and choose any other character, you'll have Tails following you. I'm personally playing with Tails and Tails.

• Thumbs Up 2

I heard about that, that's insanely cool if true and I can't wait to try it :D I love hacks that let Tails follow Knuckles.

By the way, since this is supposedly doing very very well in the charts and is getting amazing reviews, I hope SEGA are taking note and seeing what it is that makes people happy when it comes to Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was about to post in fact. Here's some proof for ya'll. Can't believe I even got a game over the amount of times I've played this game. tongue.png

IMG_22201.png

IMG_22191.png

As said above, to do this bug simply get a "Game Over" with Sonic and Tails, then choose any other character and Tails will follow you. You're welcome.

Edited by Symbotic
  • Thumbs Up 8

As said above, to do this bug simply get a "Game Over" with Sonic and Tails, then choose any other character and Tails will follow you. You're welcome.

Does it matter whether it's on No Save or Save mode?

(EDIT: Btw if it wasn't obvious, I fucking love this. Best "glitch" ever, I always dreamed of doin stuff like this on the MD games!!)

Edited by SuperLink

I was about to post in fact. Here's some proof for ya'll. Can't believe I even got a game over the amount of times I've played this game. tongue.png

Wow, what an awesome glitch. Can Tails carry himself? tongue.png  Actually it would be so cool if Tails could carry Knuckles.

Been trying to get this glitch. When I get a game over as Sonic & Tails and then choose a different character (Tails or Knuckles) the game automatically starts with Sonic and Tails. So it's still a glitch, it just doesn't have Tails or Knuckles in the lead. Strange.

I'm not going to provide a screencap, but I just checked my transaction history and apparently Google took an extra dollar out of my account for using their marketplace?

So if you're using Bluestacks, it's actually $3.99.

1. Start a no-save game as Sonic and Tails

2. Get a Game Over
3. Load an existing file as Tails or Knuckles
4. Enjoy!

If you start a new no-save it'll be stuck on Sonic and Tails mode.

It should be noted that this is not without bugs of it's own. This is what happens when Tails carries Knuckles:

photoxr.png

And the end sequence:

photo2tq.png

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ooooh it gets better! I took this picture in a new save file- i.e, not in no save mode! Knuckles & Tails, S2&S3 items! biggrin.png The 7th Emerald should be enabled too!

photo3fu.png

Basically it's performed in the exact same way as previously mentioned, except you do the level select and what have you as Sonic & Tails before you Game over.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm curious as to what's causing Knuckles to bug out when Tails is carrying him. Surely he should just be using the sprites assigned for holding onto things like the Mystic Cave vines? Is that programming entirely different from Tails, or are the sprites lacking due to purely having Sonic 1 mechanics?

I just hope Team StealthTax don't get rid of this! Fix the Knuckles sprites and keep it as another one of the big secrets to carry into Sonic 2 and 3.

I heard some of you don't like the water in Labyrinth Zone. Fortunately, there's a solution. Tails can activate the trigger for the water level to drop again, after it's already been raised.

photo4t.png

Edited by Blue Blood

I heard some of you don't like the water in Labyrinth Zone. Fortunately, there's a solution. Tails can activate the trigger for the water level to drop again, after it's already been raised.

Yeah.... because Tails have the technology.

*Six million dollar man reference intended*

I still can't get the tails glitch to work on no save mode (my tails and knuckles files are stuck on final zone)