Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I still can't get the tails glitch to work on no save mode (my tails and knuckles files are stuck on final zone)

That's because it doesn't work on no save mode. You have to use a save file.

That's because it doesn't work on no save mode. You have to use a save file.

Just retread your post from the last page, I misread it! :P

If you do the level select on no save and change the settings, do they go to the main save too? Item boxes, emeralds ect?

Would be interesting to see if it works with any other characters (to get the settings without the tails)?

Just retread your post from the last page, I misread it! tongue.png

If you do the level select on no save and change the settings, do they go to the main save too? Item boxes, emeralds ect?

Would be interesting to see if it works with any other characters (to get the settings without the tails)?

Sort of. Any settings will be kept until you exit out of the game. When I exited out, Knuckles turned back into Sonic and the S2&S3 item monitors were disabled. But I exited in the middle of the 7th special stage, and the interesting thing here was that upon returning to the menu I got this:

photo5r.png

Second file on the list- apparently I'm in "settings" and the emeralds are the wrong colours. When I loaded it back up I was playing as Sonic in the 7th Special Stage. I completed it and it unlocked Super Sonic. The menu now displays the stage afterwards correctly but only 6 Emeralds. Can still transform into Super Sonic though.

I've just tried downloading the game on Bluestacks emulator, but it says "Market not found. Search web for installation recipe?" Do I need an account or something? Any help would be appreciated :)

I kinda hope they don't fix the glitch that lets Tails follow Tails and Knuckles :(

Tails and Tails/Tails and Knuckles is awesome.

I'm a long way off finishing the game with all the emeralds (boo I suck) so I hope it stays, I'd love to play it this way! biggrin.png

I've just tried downloading the game on Bluestacks emulator, but it says "Market not found. Search web for installation recipe?" Do I need an account or something? Any help would be appreciated smile.png

You need at least a google account. The cool thing with mine was I simply signed in with my gmail address and it already knew I had purchased the game for my tablet, so I didn't need to pay again (although I would have been totally fine with buying it again for a different platform, this is such a cool game!). So I think if you have a google account, sign in with that and you should be able to purchase it that way.

Edited by MamboCat

Will it work even though I don't own any android devices? I'm still trying but I'm not sure how to do it, and it's still not working :/ Guess I'll just have to Google it...

EDIT: Google is my best friend XD Just found out that I need to install Google Play on to the emulator, so I'll get to it.

Edited by Wil348

1. Start a no-save game as Sonic and Tails

2. Get a Game Over

3. Load an existing file as Tails or Knuckles

4. Enjoy!

If you start a new no-save it'll be stuck on Sonic and Tails mode.

Hey.. here's an interesting question, though you've prolly tried it already.

What if you start no-save and do the level select to use the other characters? Are you still stuck on Sonic and Tails mode via level select or can you get Knuckles/Tails,Tails/Tails, maybe even Sonic/Tails/Tails??

I finally managed to get all six emeralds by the end of Spring Yard Zone - Act 2 without having to use the 'restart' option for at least one of the special stages. It's about time! Thank you Knuckles.

That glitch where you can play as Knuckles and AI Tails is so cool. It's a shame they didn't give Knuckles proper animation when he is carried by Tails. I would love it if Taxman makes it so you can play as Knuckles with AI Tails (and visa versa) in the new version of Sonic 2.

The only time they appeared together in the 'Knuckles in Sonic 2' Genesis lock-on was in Sky Chase and Wing Fortress.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by -Clara Oswald-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let us not forget this lovely exploit in S3K which doesn't actually require debug (but does require a lot of back and forthing).

KnucklesWrongBossArenaMGZ2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Can Tails carry Tails when this glitch is used? That would be extremely OP - one Tails carries the other until he gets tired, then the passenger Tails disembarks in midair and flies even higher.

Can Tails carry Tails when this glitch is used? That would be extremely OP - one Tails carries the other until he gets tired, then the passenger Tails disembarks in midair and flies even higher.

First Sonic CD, now Sonic 1 and beyond! Is there anything Tails can't master?

623443a9797a5008c93b7805d5cd55b4.png

• Thumbs Up 7

Actually, he can't. Tails won't grab on to another Tails. Probably because when Sonic or Knuckles grabs on it's recognised by the game as flying, so Tails can't grab on because his flying move is actually flying so grabbing on would literally be the same thing. I think. Just a random guess. Either way, Sonic/Knuckles can't jump off Tails mid-flight since you use the jump button to make Tails fly, so it wouldn't be too OP.

I'm pretty sure Sonic and Knuckles can jump off mid flight if you hold down and jump

EDIT: Yeah just tried it and you can jump off Tails whenever if you hold down.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic 1 just became twice as cute.

designtailsqc2.png

First Sonic CD, now Sonic 1 and beyond! Is there anything Tails can't master?

623443a9797a5008c93b7805d5cd55b4.png

Not much of a god if you can't even fly in Sonic 2! tongue.png

I want this so badly. I'd actually enjoy playing Sonic 2 if Miles Prower could reach for the stars, get to those hard to reach routes.

He can fly in pretty much every other 2d Sonic game/hack/fan game made. So it's time this was rectified.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

TSSZ review of Sonic The Hedgehog iOS & Android:

They gave it 4.5/5.

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/05/24/review-sonic-the-hedgehog-2/

"All things considered, this remastered re-release is a triumph, standing tall in stark contrast to the other bare-bones ports that dot the gaming landscape. The crisp presentation, additional characters, and troves of hidden goodies spice up the game without compromising the beloved Genesis gameplay that so many gamers hold dear. There’s something here for every fan, be they casual or hardcore, and only those who desire a pixel-for-pixel port of the original game or a physical controller in their hands are likely to find any fault in this package. The port is well worth the asking price on both iOS and Android, and aside from the original Genesis incarnation, it may well be the best version of Sonic the Hedgehog I’ve ever played."

Here here!

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

Sonic 2

Well that's why I said "and beyond" ;P because Tails' Sonic 2 Taxman upgrade is inevitable!

Okay TSSZ, that was a glowing review. Why not 5/5? For the record, a perfect score does not mean a game is perfect. 

Haha, TSSZ (Louis) response in the comments. He backpedalled ever so slightly:

"@…well, everyone so far:

Looks like I stepped on some toes with this one. Here’s why I didn’t give it 5 stars: it’s still flawed, and most of that has to do with the fact that I still had minor issues with the touch controls and some of the core level design. I realize I didn’t make that clear (at all), and I’ve amended the review to make that more obvious where it’s relevant, but that’s really what it boils down to. Honestly, this is probably my favorite Sonic game, and I wrestled with my final score for some time. A lot of thought went into it, and I guess the full review didn’t totally reflect that.

So yes, maybe I was too hard on it and I apologize for the confusion, but that’s my stance and I won’t be changing it. A lot of you will disagree (many of you do already) and that’s good! Differing opinions are what fuel this site, and I’m reading everything you have to say, negative or otherwise."

I think Sonic 1 deserves a score of at least 9.9/10.

I'm in love with this version of the game, but I still think the score is fair. It has a few bugs and most of what we're enjoying about the game is fanservice that means almost nothing to most gamers. Yeah, it's a 5/5 game to most of us, but a 4.5/5 is still an amazing score that is more than fair.

Oh a 4.5/5 or anythign else is fine. It's just that his review originally said nothing but pure praise. So it didn't make sense.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Tails fly more slowly and tire slightly faster when he's carrying someone? I think it was like that in 3&K as well, though it might just be my imagination.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Tails fly more slowly and tire slightly faster when he's carrying someone? I think it was like that in 3&K as well, though it might just be my imagination.

In Sonic 1 Tails stays in the air whilst flying on his own - before tiring - for the same amount of time as he does when carrying Sonic (I timed it). Tails also seems to move at the same speed with or without carrying Sonic (maybe fractionally faster).

I think it seems like you have a shorter time in flight when Tails carries Sonic. This is because it's tricky to get Tails to pick up Sonic, and in order to pick him up you can't achieve instant momentum which you could with Tails flying on his own.

Just got 42 lives in a Tails playthrough. That's a record for me.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

I've just found a really well hidden 10 ring box in Spring Yard Zone - Act 3. You can only get to it with Tails, S&T and possibly Knuckles. Take a look at the map of Spring Yard below. The 10 ring box is located to the south of where the extra life box is right near the end of the act, just above the start of the bottomless pit.

s1-syz-act3map.png

Just below where the line of rings is (to the left of the extra life box) you will notice a small hole in the bottom left hand side of the brown coloured square. I'm talking about the small area where there is a tiny vertical green cylinder with a bit of blue colour in the middle. Now, you will notice there isn't a 10 ring box in that tiny area, which may be correct as this map is based on the original Genesis version of Sonic 1. However, in the StealthTax version they put a 10 ring box in that tiny area. Easy to get to as Tails, and bloody difficult to get into as S&T.

It may not seem like much, but it's very well hidden and I think it's a good find.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

On Sonic Retro, Taxman posted a picture of what the D-pad design looked like on one of his Pre-GDC builds:

SonicHedgehog02.png

I love the look of the D-Pad. Looks just like the design on a Mega-Drive controller. A nice reference.  It's a shame he didn't keep it.

joy010.jpg

Taxman also posted a link to a review of Sonic 1 done by a German site called 'Stromstock'.

http://www.stromstock.de/2013/05/28/test-sonic-the-hedgehog-video/

They gave it 4/5.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-