Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I called this back in the "SEGA's 2013 Plan" thread, and then it went kablooey and got locked. :P

Anyway, very much looking forward to this. Rereleases like this and Sonic CD are the film equivalent to a classic movie getting a complete cleanup and being rereleased on blu-ray. Stuff like the Vintage Collection releases are like cheap DVD rereleases.

My wishes/hopes for Sonic 1:

• Optional Spin Dash

• Unlock Tails after completing the game

• A few surprises - bringing Sonic 3&K elements into the game? Nothing gameplay changing, but something to bring Sonic 1 and 2 up to Sonic 3&K's level of epicness

My wishes/hopes for Sonic 2:

• Unlock Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 after completing the game

• A few surprises - bringing Sonic 3&K elements into the game? Nothing gameplay changing, but something to bring Sonic 1 and 2 up to Sonic 3&K's level of epicness

• Thumbs Up 2

I called this back in the "SEGA's 2013 Plan" thread, and then it went kablooey and got locked. tongue.png

Anyway, very much looking forward to this. Rereleases like this and Sonic CD are the film equivalent to a classic movie getting a complete cleanup and being rereleased on blu-ray. Stuff like the Vintage Collection releases are like cheap DVD rereleases.

My wishes/hopes for Sonic 1:

• Optional Spin Dash

• Unlock Tails after completing the game

My wishes/hopes for Sonic 2:

• Unlock Knuckles in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 after completing the game

Sounds good to me. Add the super peel-out move to Sonic 1, along with the alternative Sonic 2 physics with no speed cap, and I will be happy. How about playable Knuckles in Sonic 1, and bring back both level selects and debug modes.

Remastered Soundtrack? Meaning no changes at all? Let's face it. It will be the same ost it just won't be as painful to play on headphones.

Again, since when was buying games about sending messages to companies? Whose decisions we have no control over?

Taxman is getting paid for his remastering efforts, good for him he deserves it. 

Now if Sega wants people to part with their money, they should make sure this remastered port has a crap ton of new features to make it worth our while. 

If it's not and it's just a lame rehash, then they don't get anything. Simple really.

• Thumbs Up 4

Again, since when was buying games about sending messages to companies? Whose decisions we have no control over?

Buying and not buying a product is always sending a message to the company that makes it. SCD 2011 sold well, so it was like we were saying to SEGA "Wow, we really like this! More, please!". The whole point of us being the fans is that we have more influence than you might think.

S1 and S2 are good games. So well made remakes with or without new features will get my money.

• Thumbs Up 8

Much agreed, Blue Blood. I've noted that some Sonic fans (not going to say "a lot" or "a few" because I really don't know the actual number) have become increasingly negative towards the original Sonic titles. As if every time the games gets rereleased, they somehow become lesser titles.

Sonic 1 and 2 are the backbone to the franchise. Without those games we wouldn't even be here talking about the franchise. Every title that followed Sonic 1 was influenced by the original, and Sonic 2 perfected much of what made Sonic 1 so great and pretty much cemented the game as a franchise. 

I agree with the sentiment that bad ports should not be supported. Hell, I intentionally avoided buying Sonic 1 & 2 on iOS, as well as on my 360 and on the DS. However, I made it a point to buy Sonic Jam new back in the day (I believe it was the only Saturn title I bought new) and will gladly buy this remastered edition.

I really could care less if they cram in new characters or features. I just want to play the game that made me fall in love with the franchise in crystal clear quality.*

* I should note that I can do that now on the Genesis and Saturn, but I'd very much want to be able to play the game on iOS as well as on my 360.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think you guys are seriously in denial about the future of the franchise.

I know you want to believe new, amazing Sonic content is coming if you just keep supporting Sega's lazy business practices, but it never will.

If Sonic 1/2 does well, and they are done milking every other Sonic title they can, Taxman's engine will be used to port other games that are 20 years old and most of us have played already.

He will become a porting, oops I mean "remastering" machine and Sonic fans will still be stuck in a shithole of crappy Sonic Team/DIMPS attempts at 2D games.

Sad but true.

Edited by Sir Dwayne

I agree that Sonic 1 and 2 are the backbone of the franchise, but S3&K offers some brilliant fundamentals like maximising explorability, different exits for different characters, properly flowing stages, the overall presentation was so.. nice.

You can argue it's overrated among fans, but it's so underrated among SEGA that they barely seem to acknowledge its existence. It's insane.

EDIT: Listen dude, there's a reason that a good majority of Sonic Retro admins are genuinely excited about this. They know what will happen if this game is a success and it's apparently good. How often does that happen? Never!

No one is forcing you to support it but you're pretty much denying facts by this point if you don't think this will help the future of the franchise in some way.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 5

Unfortunately we won't know for a few years who is right, I hope to God I'm not but I likely am.

I know you want to believe new, amazing Sonic content is coming if you just keep supporting Sega's lazy business practices, but it never will.

If Sonic 1/2 does well, and they are done milking every other Sonic title they can, Taxman's engine will be used to port other games that are 20 years old and most of us have played already.

He will become a porting, oops I mean "remastering" machine and Sonic fans will still be stuck in a shithole of crappy Sonic Team/DIMPS attempts at 2D games.

Sad but true.

No.

• Thumbs Up 8

Playing Sonic 1 in proper widescreen so that you can see more of what is ahead of you would be a great advantage, especially in levels such as Labyrinth and Scrap Brain which punish you with some cheeky enemy placement.

I also think the Sonic 2 Super Sonic activation should be mapped to a different key instead of the jump button, or make it so that you have to press jump twice - like in Sonic 3 - to transform. It's just that Super Sonic in Sonic 2 is a bit hard to control, so I would like the choice to only use that form in an emergency.

Here's a thought, do you think they will add an 'easy mode' like they did with the Saturn version that Barry the Nomad mentioned?

There is no doubt that Sonic CD 2011 was a massive success and that SEGA liked it so much that they want the other genesis games to get the same treatment. Here here! If SEGA continue to give us enhanced-top quality versions, then I will continue to buy the games. If they continue to sell really well then hopefully this could lead to brand new 2d Sonic games in the future.

When playing CD on PSN/Steam and then playing Sonic 1 & 2 on the same systems, I can't help but wish they were brought up to the same standard as CD. So here's hoping.

The future looks bright for the blue blur at the moment, don't you think?

Edited by -Bender-
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sad but true.

So, I'm apparently in denial for thinking that these ports (with some actual new features and effort being put into them) will help contribute to a positive future from the franchise?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, I'm apparently in denial for thinking that these ports (with some actual new features and effort being put into them) will help contribute to a positive future from the franchise?

No you are MOST DEFINITELY not.

Think about it SSMB, if the RETRO ADMINS are excited about what could happen if we all buy these ports, then there's a 99 percent chance it means something great for the franchise. BUY THESE PORTS!

Also you should buy them because they're Taxman rebuilds but you already knew that.

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)
  • Thumbs Up 1

No you are MOST DEFINITELY not.

Think about it SSMB, if the RETRO ADMINS are excited about what could happen if we all buy these ports, then there's a 99 percent chance it means something great for the franchise. BUY THESE PORTS!

Also you should buy them because they're Taxman rebuilds but you already knew that.

I can't buy them.

I honestly don't care about them.

Guys, I'm really excited for a potential port of Tails Sky Patrol, cause I love ports. :)

• Thumbs Up 4

Sad but true.

I can confirm this at least: we are laughing at this post right now.

Guys, I'm really excited for a potential port of Tails Sky Patrol, cause I love ports. smile.png

Shh! They'll think we're in cahoots! 

I'm gonna support this all the way if it ends up being worth buying the same game again that I already own on many platforms. But honestly I don't think asking/demanding(or whatever ya wanna call it) is even nescesary if the product speaks for itself.

Edited by Djawed

Guys, I'm really excited for a potential port of Tails Sky Patrol, cause I love ports. smile.png

LVjsFQE.png

And you all thought I was joking.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dudes, Taxman is from Retro, of course they(the admins and members) want us to buy this, it's friendly advertising. I'm not saying they are 100% lying about "get this port and wait for new stuff", 'course SEGA is working on something, it's obvious assumption...

One option: They could be easily trying to solidify the classic era, and reboot the franchise next year. We already got ports of every important old Sonic game brought into this generation... Another option: Yes, maybe SEGA is trying the ground to see if they can release a big 100% retro tittle and get the same(or more) profits of a 3D game.

Either way, I rather wait, if you don't mind, Retro.

Edited by Jango

Theres more push now for us to buy these ports then there was with Sonic CD and most of the push is by high ranking members of a well known Sonic community that has some of its members connected with SEGA themselves.

Somethings going on, they can't say but they are trying to tell us via saying we need to buy these ports. lets listen to them.

EDIT: And keep in mind, this isn't being made by just Taxman this time around, its Taxman AND Stealth!

Stealth is the guy who broke ground and blew our minds by making the first fully functional Knuckles in Sonic 1 hack:

Also, he made a functioning port for Sonic 1's GHZ as a test to prove how lazy SEGA was at Sonic Genesis:

So really guys, its 2 fans that need the support now!

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 6