Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

And that's it. This game has bested all of Sonic Team and Dimps' efforts of recreating Classic Sonic.

Entering Hidden Palace via the infamous pit. That's just... I don't have words. Such a clever idea, and one that everyone's going to really appreciate. The level itself? Wonderful. The music sucks though. Using MCZ2P was a pretty poor choice. It has it's own music in the game, so why not?

SEGA of Japan need to pay attention to these releases and see just how well they're doing. I'd pay full retail price for a new 2D Sonic by Stealth and Tax.

Dammit! Glitch. I let my super form run out so I could enjoy the stage music but it's carried on playing even though Knuckles is in normal form now. lol

• Thumbs Up 7

Oh yeah I hope StealthTax eventually get to talk about;

the music choice for Hidden Palace Zone? I mean I think the music suits it pretty well! But I 

love the unused Hidden Palace music and I would have loved for it to be implemented somehow. I'm guessing they have a reason for it, or maybe it's hidden somewhere else in the game? I don't know. But I really hope they do get to talk about why they made that choice!

And that's it. This game has bested all of Sonic Team and Dimps' efforts of recreating Classic Sonic.

Entering Hidden Palace via the infamous pit. That's just... I don't have words. Such a clever idea, and one that everyone's going to really appreciate. The level itself? Wonderful. The music sucks though. Using MCZ2P was a pretty poor choice. It has it's own music in the game, so why not?

SEGA of Japan need to pay attention to these releases and see just how well they're doing. I'd pay full retail price for a new 2D Sonic by Stealth and Tax.

Dammit! Glitch. I let my super form run out so I could enjoy the stage music but it's carried on playing even though Knuckles is in normal form now. lol

Surely we will get StealthTax Sonic 3&K at some point.

Once you get used to the special stages you won't need to use the restart option. There are about 60 starposts in Sonic 2 and the special stages are slightly easier than in Sonic 1.

Hahaha, No.

Sonic 2's special stages are one of the reasons I dislike it so much. And this re-release has reminded me of that - they're awesome here, but still frustrating. Sonic 1's Special Stages are an absolute joke compared to these ones, and the restart trick only works until you're on your last life - then it's exit out, get 50 rings again, hit the starpost again... eh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hidden Palace thoughts...

A crying, crying shame that it's only one act long. There were so many fantastic ideas in there, al executed with some of the best level design I've seen to come out of fan works. Fast and riddled with all kinds of platforming tricks. The boss was rather clever too. Kind of ironic how it was music themed, and yet the music is the only complain I have concerning the stage.

I can't wait to play it again as Tails and Sonic to see what else lies in store. The game hasn't disappointed in prodiving additional routes yet, so I can only imagine how a fully original zone will fare.

• Thumbs Up 7

One question I have to ask before I hop into playing again now that its morning break at work. Why does the launch trailer say in big bold letters "new levels"...levels...plural...when to everyone's knowledge there is only one new level >.<

One question I have to ask before I hop into playing again now that its morning break at work. Why does the launch trailer say in big bold letters "new levels"...levels...plural...when to everyone's knowledge there is only one new level >.<

We all know that SEGA marketers have no idea what is in any given game they're marketing

No no it's

NEW LEVELS

of enjoyment to be had in the one new level

• Thumbs Up 5

A little theory that could open up interesting discussion.

Do you guys think that

the pit was going to be for Hidden Palace all along? It seems very odd, especially considering that no other pit in Sonic 2 is like it. My theory is that, since Hidden Palace was scrapped late in development, they decided to slap spikes down rather than programming a death point to save time... just my two cents, however. I'm not exactly sure how this works.

• Thumbs Up 1

A little theory that could open up interesting discussion.

Do you guys think that

the pit was going to be for Hidden Palace all along? It seems very odd, especially considering that no other pit in Sonic 2 is like it. My theory is that, since Hidden Palace was scrapped late in development, they decided to slap spikes down rather than programming a death point to save time... just my two cents, however. I'm not exactly sure how this works.

I was almost thinking that too, it almost makes too much sense.

I mean, it is called HIDDEN Palace, maybe it was supposed to be a secret stage all along? Still that doesn't match up with the recent interview about it being used for just a cutscene.

That pit in Mystic Cave was always just really damn out of place within the togetherness of the rest of the game though. Weird.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm. Sonic 4 bests this one, teeny tiny area. I sure you all know what I mean before I say it.

Super transformation is simply double jumping.

Hm. Sonic 4 bests this one, teeny tiny area. I sure you all know what I mean before I say it.

Super transformation is simply double jumping.

And you can't de-morph back to normal Sonic like in Sonic 3 Complete :(

I just came out of a special stage in Aquatic Ruin zone and the game awarded me an extra life for no reason what so ever <3.

And you can't de-morph back to normal Sonic like in Sonic 3 Complete sad.png

I just came out of a special stage in Aquatic Ruin zone and the game awarded me an extra life for no reason what so ever <3.

This happened to me as well. Your score total will have just hit a multiple of 50,000. If you exit the stage and load it again, you;l be awarded that extra life as soon as the level starts (but you can't abuse this to get infinite lives).

I beat the game and my file always says Death Egg Zone. I'm seeing files with the word Complete on them. How is this done?

Android only ATM I'm afraid. Stealth/Tax said that the iOS version missed getting a launch patch by a small margin and that iOS users will have to wait a bit for this feature to be implemented as well as the missing Hill Top boss. Patch should be out soon, it's all up to Apple as they have already submitted it.

I just got all the chaos emeralds with Knuckles.

Interesting that if you collect all the emeralds with either Knuckles or Sonic, they get their Super forms immediately. However, you don't get a super form with Tails. This is correct as per the canon of the original Sonic 2 and the 'Knuckles in Sonic 2' lock-on. I am sure you will get Super Tails in the bonus options. 

Oh really? Not big issue really, but still kinda lame. Retroactively adding Super Tails to S2 and S3 wouldn't make a difference except making things a wee bit more enjoyable.

Am I the only one who noticed that (Hidden Palace spoilers)

if you try to hit Eggman as Super Sonic, Eggman actually

pilots his machine up to avoid being hit, so you actually have to wait until his machine is immobile to actually hit him? That's more or less unheard of in the other Genesis Sonic games's bosses. Very nice touch. happy.png

I fucking love it when Retro does this. xD

Also, they've changed their logo to the Sonic 2 Beta logo (a former site that Retro originally was) in celebration of the release. Neat.

One day SSMB will install the evil laughter mod... Only we'll include a skull shaped Omachoa that slowly descends down your screen as it laughs.

On days a new Sonic game is announced, the official SSMB hype train will fly around the screen before exploding on cue with the explosion soundclip while a huge picture of Iizuka grinning slowly fades in.