Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

To be honest yeah, Sonic CD, 1 and 2 have all had considerable improvements, but Sonic 3 is practically perfect already uh oh.

I'm not really sure what they can add besides maybe tweaking the physics slightly, giving some sprites more animations, or adding Knuckles+Tails mode.

Sonic 3-level quality seems untouchable to Sonic Team lately (I mean why else do they fail to acknowledge it in any game besides Sonic Generations? It also gets the least re-releases by far. And if Sonic 4 is supposed to be a natural progression in the series, why does it feel like the team only looked at Sonic 1 and 2 for inspiration?) So it's nice to see that StealthTax are capable of recognising how important Sonic 3 is.

• Thumbs Up 3

For now I'll bet on S3K being the lightest as far as new/additional content goes, with Special Stages remastered as nicely as S2s. And after that, I'll keep my fingers crossed for an entirely new game.

But I want the option to play as pinky purple Knuckles! Red is sooooo 1994.

Posting this here because I'm having the same issue.

Post made by Trujin from SR:

My apologies if this has already been covered. I've just bought s2 for my galaxy s3 and like both s1 and scd the game play is slow. Walking on the moon slow.

Just wondering if anyone here has experienced the same problem and if there's a solution for it. I've searched for a solution elsewhere but all I find is the force stop of the app solution, which doesn't seem to work. :|

Daaamn that is so cool and would have been so appreciated and adored by the fans, which is clearly what these loving remakes are aimed at.  Really don't see how adding a level like that would have been more out of touch with the original game anymore than adding a whole new level into the actual main game itself is.

Ugh, considering we have Sonic 3 Complete I'm more keen on a new game from Taxman/Stealth than S3&K getting the remake treatment, but I confess, OCD-ishness does still make that appealing considering they did all the others.  (It'd be cool if they updated Sonic CD too to make its menu system consistent with these remakes).

Hmm I wonder if there is any way to get the Sonic 2 Beta title. Or the beta's running animation, I always thought the red and blue swirl was much cooler looking than the plain red they went with on the final. Considering how much was in Sonic 1 I'm surprised these aren't in Sonic 2 remastered.

Still waiting on the iOS patch here in NZ. Got all the four different save slots full, Sonic & Tails, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, all chaos emeralds collected on each and at Death Egg and waiting on patch so I can "complete" them haha.

CD, S1 and S2 have all been updated to bring the games up to S3K standards in terms of physics, characters and a few other things. With S3K not really having any cut content and already having levels designed for three different characters, there's not really an awful lot that can be done outside of adding totally new content to the game. Now, Sonic Team did allow Hidden Palace to be restored in S2, but also decided against Egg Gauntlet, Desert Dazzle and Final Fever. Would they really allow any new content in S3K? I'm not so sure. It's like they're taking baby steps in allowing their games to be touched by a third party (though I don't understand why cause they've hardly shown any care over the past however many years).

Playable Amy.

...well it was worth a shot. tongue.png

I suppose they could some sort of soundtrack option like for CD concerning the Gens and PC versions. Also while most of the content got in ultimately, there was a different design order intended when the games were still designed as one. Add to that a couple odd fixes that could do with being looked at (eg. Eggman occasionally appearing in Knuckles' story).

I wonder if they would be more flexible for the minor 2 player mode, ie. adding a couple new levels for the purpose of an extra minigame, since they don't really affect the main game. Knuckles was also never fully implemented into the mode, despite it being planned and the sprites for his extra moveset even being inside the ROM.

I wonder if Egg Gauntlet would have stood a better chance of making it if they had called it a Beta name like Cyber City/Genocide City, thus disguising it as an established level.

It'd be kinda cool if they made multiplayer avaliable on single player stages in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and made it so the multiplayer exclusive levels are remade at full-screen graphics when not using split-screen (assuming it ever gets a console port).

• Thumbs Up 6

It'd be kinda cool if they made multiplayer avaliable on single player stages in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and made it so the multiplayer exclusive levels are remade at full-screen graphics when not using split-screen (assuming it ever gets a console port).

Two player co-op in Sonic 3&K's normal story mode. Just like in Sonic 4 Ep2.

What I'd really like to see is Sonic 2's two player vs mode implemented into Sonic 3's vs mode. I.e. using the 'rings, total rings, score, item box and first to finish' scoring system in levels like Angel Island, Carnival Night and Death Egg zone.

Would be even better if StealthTax re-made Azure Lake, Balloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace and Endless Mine into proper full length acts instead of the short looping levels they are, and then implement Sonic 2's vs mode into them. Or better yet make them playable in single player mode! 

• Thumbs Up 2

I suppose another big question in terms of what will be avaliable is whether they release them together or keep them split apart for the sake of some extra sales.

I suppose another big question in terms of what will be avaliable is whether they release them together or keep them split apart for the sake of some extra sales.

I don't mind if it was to be released in two parts, as long as it's the full 3&K experience, with playable Knuckles in the first part and the super emeralds/hyper forms in the second. Wouldn't surprise me if they released it in two parts due to the MB size. Sonic 2 takes up 49.13MB which is a lot of space on your phone. So the full lock-on 3&K might take up double that size or close to 100MB.

If they released it as the full lock-on then I'm more than happy to pay a bit more.

I don't mind if it was to be released in two parts, as long as it's the full 3&K experience, with playable Knuckles in the first part and the super emeralds/hyper forms in the second. Wouldn't surprise me if they released it in two parts due to the MB size. Sonic 2 takes up 49.13MB which is a lot of space on your phone. So the full lock-on 3&K might take up double that size or close to 100MB.

If they released it as the full lock-on then I'm more than happy to pay a bit more.

I agree with all of this, except that the size of the game may not matter, considering that Sonic CD on my Android phone is about 240 MB.

Would be even better if StealthTax re-made Azure Lake, Balloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace and Endless Mine into proper full length acts instead of the short looping levels they are, and then implement Sonic 2's vs mode into them. Or better yet make them playable in single player mode!

I thought of this as well but where would they fit into the single player experience? Unless they took some liberties with the tropes (say make Desert Palace more of a palace or have Balloon Park be more like a travelling carnival with some grassy sections to differentiate it from Carnival night?) then there's not really any place for most of those levels without some overlapping.

Plus S3K is pretty huge already, can we really expect 5 new fully fledged stages with individual acts and bosses? Save it for Sonic 5.

Yeah I do think that would be treading on the toes of the original a bit too much.  Besides the 5 stages are already playable in 1 player mode via Time Trial or just selecting Grand Prix without anyone choosing a character for Player 2.

Competition Mode was more sort of a mini game thing anyway. I'd more they just expanded it with more little tracks so it has more replay value, though we already know SEGA's reaction to new levels (unless some more were intended that were never found out about, in which case there might be some leeway). It's sorta like how Sonic R had lots of options but only five tracks to use them on. Maybe make some more tracks based on the one player experience (eg. a water level, a lava level or slippery ice level).

Add Knuckles' one player moveset at the very least.

I've just discovered that one port actually did add a spring to that infamous Mystic Cave spike pit. It it the low-end version of Sonic 2 J2ME port. Yeah, this one:

s2-misc-ports2img3.png

I have now completed playthroughs for all four character options.

qlBklri.png

How do you get the "Complete" sign? I've just beaten the game with Sonic & Tails with all emeralds and it keeps saying "Death Egg Zone"

Another question, did anyone get the Superstar achievement on iOS? I completed several acts as Super Sonic and I didn't get it :S

How do you get the "Complete" sign? I've just beaten the game with Sonic & Tails with all emeralds and it keeps saying "Death Egg Zone"

Another question, did anyone get the Superstar achievement on iOS? I completed several acts as Super Sonic and I didn't get it :S

I have the same problem, it's an issue with the iOS version. Should be patched soon.

Any other achievement is bugged or this is the only one?

Anyone's up for doing the face to face achievement? My Apple Game Center ID is Seraphinprincess if you wanna add me :3