Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Ok, I got some pictures, but, I have no idea how half of the SSMB works, so I packaged some of them in this post.

Or, at least I think I did, honestly I'm not sure.

Hooray for incompetence!

post-6437-0-35555000-1388084566_thumb.jp

post-6437-0-59904500-1388084587_thumb.jp

post-6437-0-09447900-1388084617_thumb.jp

post-6437-0-83539200-1388084674_thumb.jp

One of the cool extras In Sonic 1 mobile, was that if you tap A G E S when the SEGA logo appears (on a no-save file), then Tails name changes to Miles on the title screen and in the game:

vwAVvHc.png

Well, in turns out this is also the case in the Sonic 2 mobile release. Tap A G E S when the logo appears in a no-save file or when starting a new save file, and when you play the game Tails name will again change to Miles:

1Hgl9XD.png

Very nice.

• Thumbs Up 4

I was playing this game on my Kindle Fire HD and I've gotten all achievements but "Scrambled Egg". Which tasks you with beating the Boss Mode in under 7 minutes.

What's the catch? I already beat it and got a time of 6'08"16. And I didn't receive the achievement

What gives? 

Doesn't Tails name being changed to Miles thing happen if you have it set to Japanese in the settings menu too?

No, the name still shows as Tails.

Oh and based on my previous post, if you use the cheat which changes his name to Miles, it also works if you play as Sonic & Tails or Knuckles & Tails. Although you will only see Tails name changed to Miles in the special stages.

Sonic 2 seems to be selling well on Google Play. Has already reached over 10,000+ downloads, and currently stands at No1 on 'Top New Paid' apps.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just looked at the top paid apps and it's actually just behind some Adventure Time game and the new San Andreas port. 

Still, not that bad.

Over on Retro Taxman said that they will soon be releasing some updates for Sonic 1 or 2.

Sonic 2 runs fine on my phone, although 2 player vs mode still needs some tweaks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they update 1 with the "complete" game save level select like 2 has, bring it in line with Sonic 3K. Pity it's not an update to CD, where's Desert Dazzle damnit!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a horrid review 1/10 for that T-whatever guy. what kind of fansite is this? looks like it was made in angelfire in the early 2000s or something. and the members at their forum look crazy dysfunctional too, look at them their tearing each other apart over a simple Unleashed vs. Colors debate, glad I don't belong there Jesus what a madhouse....

(kidding...maybe. nice review T-Bird.)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's T-Bird. Similar name, very different person. 

Or are they? I have had standing theories about those 2 for awhile now involving cloning, gene spicing, goverment secrets and a certain admin with ties to all of it. I almost have all of it set, just waiting on 1 last part of information to piece it all together. Hey! I know you see this and I'm on to you, don't think you can hide for long...

(Corrected. thanks for the heads up.)

So, how many levels have been found with new routes added to them?  IIRC Sonic 1 had new routes added to:

*Marble Zone Act 3

*Spring Yard Zone Act 2 and

*Star Light Zone Act 1.

From what I've read, new routes have been added to:

*Chemical Plant Zone Act 1

*Chemical Plant Zone Act 2

*Hill Top Zone Act 1 and

*Hill Top Zone Act 2.

Also, does anyone know if anyone's uploaded maps of these slightly redesigned levels.  I'd like to see them so I can compare them to their old counterparts.  I've been looking everywhere on the internet but to no avail. sad.png

I kinda hoped Zone 0 would make a zombie like return and decide to do the new maps for Sonic 1 and 2, at least add Hidden Palace. But alas. The best Classic Sonic zone mapping webpage remains silent besides some reviews of current games.

He might do it, i would imagine he would have to wait for someone to give him a map or rip it from the iOS himself

So, how many levels have been found with new routes added to them?  IIRC Sonic 1 had new routes added to:

*Marble Zone Act 3

*Spring Yard Zone Act 2 and

*Star Light Zone Act 1.

The high up routes in Marble zone act 3 and Spring Yard zone act 2 are indeed new.

The route in Star Light zone act 1 is actually not new, it was there in the original version. The difference is that StealthTax added a finish-post to the alternative route. In the original version if you finished the act using the alternative route, the finish-post on the normal route would automatically active when you went pasted it (on the lower route).

Sonic zone 0's explanation is better than mine:

"There's the basic ending, which all but one of the paths lead to, and there's a secret one directly underneath it. This ending is much more well hidden, but it doesn't actually have its own sign post, and instead, passing underneath the one above seems to trigger off the ending procedure as if you were to touch it. So I guess it's not really a proper alternative ending anyway, but I'm still going to talk about it because its inclusion intrigues me. To get there, take the lowest route you can find through Act 1. After you've hopped across a series of four groups of platforms, head right, and instead of bringing down a series of stairway blocks directly above, carry on below them and jump across an open gap where flame balls are being thrown at you.

Follow this route upwards, via some single transporting platforms, and then some stacked floors with groups of circling platforms on alternating sides. At the top, you'll find a rising platform on the left, which gets you up to a small straight chunk of road. On the right side of this road, you'll find another platform which will lower you back down to the road underneath it, so it kind of goes back and forth in a loop. Instead of taking this downwards, run straight over it, using the road to take a good run up at it, and then take a leap of faith off the platform and jump as far right as you can. You should find the "invisible hidden sign post" on the other side. You can also get up to the main exit by knocking down the stairway blocks in the road directly above the right platform. Not that any of this is useful to anyone that just wants to get through this act in one piece, but it's something worth knowing if you're a fellow completist."

*Hill Top Zone Act 1 and

*Hill Top Zone Act 2.

Also, does anyone know if anyone's uploaded maps of these slightly redesigned levels.  I'd like to see them so I can compare them to their old counterparts.  I've been looking everywhere on the internet but to no avail. sad.png

There are two new routes in act 1, but there are no new routes in act 2 of Hill Top. I have searched all the acts from top to bottom (so much easier to do now that you can fly with Tails.....) and I cannot find any other new routes. There are a few areas where they added an additional item box.

I kinda hoped Zone 0 would make a zombie like return and decide to do the new maps for Sonic 1 and 2, at least add Hidden Palace. But alas. The best Classic Sonic zone mapping webpage remains silent besides some reviews of current games.

Apparently it took the guy on Zone 0 'LiQuidshade' eight years to complete all the guides for Sonic 1,2, CD, 3&K. He said he had had enough of doing that.

Apparently it took the guy on Zone 0 'LiQuidshade' eight years to complete all the guides for Sonic 1,2, CD, 3&K. He said he had had enough of doing that.

The maps on Zone 0 are some of the highest quality I've seen in any guide, official or not. I'm not surprised it took him that long, or that he doesn't want to do any more! Especially S3K and CD... ouch, that must have been an absolute nightmare. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The high up routes in Marble zone act 3 and Spring Yard zone act 2 are indeed new.

The route in Star Light zone act 1 is actually not new, it was there in the original version. The difference is that StealthTax added a finish-post to the alternative route. In the original version if you finished the act using the alternative route, the finish-post on the normal route would automatically active when you went pasted it (on the lower route).

Oh no, I know about lower exit.  I was referring to a post I found on the Sonic Retro forums from a guy named Mosqui that listed all the major level design changes in Sonic 1 2013:

Mosqui's post

Green Hill Zone 1 has an additional 10 rings above the lamp post in the middle of the 2 "S" tunnels.

Marble Zone 1 has an additional invincibility monitor that has a custom level chunk made for it.

Marble Zone 3 has a new path that skips the original underground path. It comes out right near the boss and is a little faster to take than the original.

Spring Yard Zone 2 has an additional 10 ring and shield monitor near the start of the act on a really high platform.

Spring Yard Zone 2 has a new path near the end of the act (a third signpost and level end) that has also hides an additional 1-up and ring monitor.

Spring Yard Zone 3 has an additional 10 ring monitor on a platform just before, and above, the boss.

Star Light Zone 1 has a new path right near the start that also holds a 10 ring and a speed shoes monitor.

Unless he meant they just added a 10-ring and Speed Shoes monitor on the little section you can fly/climb over with Tails/Knuckles.

Kinda sucks they were only able to add new paths to 5 levels in total.  Looking at the maps from Zone 0 it looks a few more levels could've been added on to.  The ceilings in both Mystic Cave Acts look like they could've housed a new route, maybe some new swimming paths for Tails in the underwater sections of Aquatic Ruins.  Oh well, be grateful for what we got I suppose.

If Taxman and Stealth do work on S3K, I hope they don't add any new paths.  Those levels are huge enough!

So I just purchased Sonic 2 on my Ipod, and so far I like it. There was one little change in Chemical Plant Zone that made me laugh.

So, normally, the CPZ boss is stationed at the far right at first.

gfs_45480_2_5.jpg

This is arguably the easiest boss in the game, at least, I think so. Anyway, this boss is stationary at first, so normally I would just jump on him eight times the moment he appears at the far right. This time though, he caught me off guard, as he zoomed toward the middle instead of being stationary at the right side of the screen like normal. Not expecting this, the moment the boss music began, I instantly jumped on the far right side of the screen, falling into my death due to the lack of a boss to jump on.

Well played Taxman, well played. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Several small changes like that frustrated the heck out of me my first playthrough. And the touch screen controls really make the Oil Ocean boss painful in a whole new way for me... but I've since then gotten better at it. I'm just too used to the original version as of now.

On that note, the most annoying change in the iOS/Android version of Sonic 1 is removing the ability to attack Robotnik in Green Hill just as he's entering the arena, that and the expanse between the two floating platforms is larger, so my entire Green Hill Groove™ has been thrown off in Act 3. I still wonder why they made Robotnik invincible those first few seconds.

• Thumbs Up 2

Several small changes like that frustrated the heck out of me my first playthrough. And the touch screen controls really make the Oil Ocean boss painful in a whole new way for me... but I've since then gotten better at it. I'm just too used to the original version as of now.

On the note, the most annoying change in the iOS/Android version of Sonic 1 is removing the ability to attack Robotnik in Green Hill just as he's entering the arena, that and the expanse between the two floating platforms is larger, so my entire Green Hill Groove™ has been thrown off in Act 3. I still wonder why they made Robotnik invincible those first few seconds.

I personally have to agree with this. While I'm glad Taxman and Stealth pimped S1&2 out and such with all these extra features, I can't deny that some of the changes felt unnecessary, and kinda frustrated me a bit, as it kills speed running some of the boss fights, and messes up strategies that were previously common knowledge for many; most notably, the Green Hill boss. Some would argue that it's to make the boss more 'difficult', but again, I feel it was unnecessary anyway, since, from what I've played, not all bosses share this start-up immunity. It's just... kinda jarring, to say the least.

On that note, the most annoying change in the iOS/Android version of Sonic 1 is removing the ability to attack Robotnik in Green Hill just as he's entering the arena, that and the expanse between the two floating platforms is larger, so my entire Green Hill Groove™ has been thrown off in Act 3. I still wonder why they made Robotnik invincible those first few seconds.

I've only gotten up to Aquatic Ruin zone, so I don't know about the other changes outside of the pit. I'm not annoyed about the CPZ Eggman tweak at all. I thought it was hilarious.

Also ducking doesn't protect you from the blue Mega Mack. That caught me out, I was sent flying into the tilting platforms and fell to my doom

Dooooooooooooooooooom! :D