Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

In fairness, ducking wasn't ever supposed to protect you there. It was just an oversight. At no other point in S2 or the series is ducking a means of defence.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, except from Egg Fighters in Sonic Unleashed. You can duck to avoid their punches.

There's tons of attacks in the series that can be AVOIDED by ducking, but the Chemical Plant glitch was the only time that ducking actually prevents damage even upon being contacted by the attack.

• Thumbs Up 2

For a change of topic, does anyone else experience a really bad audio glitch when connecting an iPad 3G/iPod 4G or any iOS device to a tv via digital a/v adapter? For some reason, on both those devices, the audio is substantially slowed down and distorted when I have it playing on my tv. Any ideas why that may be and/or any ideas for a solution? Besides just playing it on the actual device, that is.

For a change of topic, does anyone else experience a really bad audio glitch when connecting an iPad 3G/iPod 4G or any iOS device to a tv via digital a/v adapter? For some reason, on both those devices, the audio is substantially slowed down and distorted when I have it playing on my tv. Any ideas why that may be and/or any ideas for a solution? Besides just playing it on the actual device, that is.

It's a glitch you can't get around at the moment. But I'm pretty sure Taxman is aware of it and that it'll be patched in the future.

I found the Mystic Cave Zone pit change to lead you into HPZ to be a very clever way of addressing a long time annoyance in a classic game. With that said, I think the Taxman and Stealth are doing a great job with these remasters of classic Sonic games! I can't wait for the S3&K remaster, since it's practically already been confirmed. Now, their next project should be completely redoing Sonic 4 to fix up that mess. rolleyes.gif

Why should they be stuck on remakes and not an original "Sonic 5" or something? I wanna see what they can do with their creativity not stunted by SEGA

Why should they be stuck on remakes and not an original "Sonic 5" or something? I wanna see what they can do with their creativity not stunted by SEGA

I definitely agree with you, I just think Sonic 4 should be done some justice so it actually deserves the name, then move on to Sonic 5 or whatever. Sonic 4's music was tops, in my opinion, but the gameplay was lacking. Some level design aspects were off (not enough enemies, platforming segments, etc.). 

I definitely agree with you, I just think Sonic 4 should be done some justice so it actually deserves the name, then move on to Sonic 5 or whatever. Sonic 4's music was tops, in my opinion, but the gameplay was lacking. Some level design aspects were off (not enough enemies, platforming segments, etc.). 

To remake a game like that less than half a decade after it's released would be pure idiocy.  SEGA might as well just release a public statement saying "Sonic 4 was a bad game, you shouldn't have bought it."

It's a shame that if Taxman and Stealth do ever get to make an original classic styled Sonic game, Sonic 4's modern visuals would ruin the sense of consistency (though... I guess Mega Man 7 and 8 managed to happen and 9 and 10 were still retro styled), but yeah, after they remake S3&K I feel it's definitely time to move on.  Sonic 4 would require so much redesigning they might as well make a new game.

• Thumbs Up 2

SEGA has finally updated their site with details of the mobile versions of Sonic 2. Took long enough!

"Speed back in time to destroy the devious Dr. Eggman!"

SEGA had already updated details of the mobile versions of SASRT before they updated Sonic 2, even though the mobile version of S2 was released before SASRT's mobile version huh.png

Meanwhile over on Retro, Taxman had confirmed that there definitely is an imminent update for Sonic 2 coming:

"I'm hoping that sfx corruption issue randomly occuring on some devices (conveniently never on my own v.png ) has been squashed in the yet to be released update, and synch has been improved a bit on 2PVS. That said, Android is such a mixed bag I'm not sure it's possible to get 100% perfect compatibility on every device out there. Considering how lightweight the Graphics rendering system in the Retro Engine is, it's alway crazy seeing the odd Android device run it like molasses due to bad OpenGL drivers."

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to double post.

Taxman confirmed yesterday on Retro:

"Just thought I'd relay this here too: Sonic CD and Sonic 1 updates are live on iOS. Sonic CD adds iOS 7 + iCade controller support. Sonic 1 also adds iOS 7 controller support, fixes audio over HDMI out, Green Hill audio loop point and adds completed saves!"

No update on the android versions yet.

OMG YES!! Completed saves on Sonic 1!! Been hoping they would add that since Sonic 2's relaunch and being spoiled with it on there. Seems its not retroactive, you do have to win the Final Zone again for it to register, but a small price to pay for an easily accessible level select :P

Only real small trivial glitch I can see happening now is the Sonic & Tails ending. At least the one with all Chaos Emeralds. Tails seems to stop in the same spot as Sonic, and his ending animations, releasing the emeralds and being shocked at the flowers appearing etc seem to overlap Sonic's, sometimes with his sprite showing up over the top of Sonic. Shouldn't he be standing beside Sonic, not inside him?

Thanks for the heads up Bender, just gota wait on Sonic 3K news now i guess. I'm still waiting on Sega to fix Sonic 4 Ep II on iOS. Bloody thing still crashes on startup. And yet it's still up on the shop to buy, Sega should either fix it of take it down. Can't imagine how angry I would be dropping coin on a game to find out it doesn't work at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, considering their tactics with Sonic Boom, I wonder if SEGA might be willing to consult a another company, placing Taxman within its ranks, to rebirth and continue the classic series.

^ That would be awesome! :D Re-doing Sonic 4, then moving forward. I'd love some more classic 2D Sonic. :3

I can dream, can't I?!

• Thumbs Up 3

A lot of people say remaking Sonic 4 would be nonsensical for them as a company and prove they wasted their effort etc. While that may be true it seems to be a general consensus that Sonic 4 while not horrible didn't deserve to be a numbered title in the classic series or even part of said classic series at all to some.

Personally I would love to see a sprite based Tax/Stealth version of Sonic 4 with proper 16bit audio and effects. And perhaps have it completed rather than be in episodes. It seems obvious they were gunna have a Ep III with Knux and the Death Egg Mk II wasn't blown up, just taken offline. If you handed them the freedom to fix it up and do what they liked and make a true Sonic 4 then it would be pretty much like having a full original game by them with the loosest of ties to what Sega originally tried.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think 4 deserves to be part of the classic franchise, and I would absolutely love it if it could be remade to a level where it felt welcome in the classic franchise.

That's all, really. I don't think it'd be a waste of time or resources, it would remove a blemish from an otherwise flawless record.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think 4 deserves to be part of the classic franchise, and I would absolutely love it if it could be remade to a level where it felt welcome in the classic franchise.

That's all, really. I don't think it'd be a waste of time or resources, it would remove a blemish from an otherwise flawless record.

As much as I wish the same (seriously geez S4 remade with good physics / art oh bby), it seems like it'd be a waste to Sega, or at least to Iizuka. After all, I don't think they acknowledge it as a blemish, so they/he'd probably find it insulting for the fans or Head-Cannon to suggest that. XD

Yeah which I think is unfortunately the most realistic scenario.

Sigh, I dream for a day where we get more official classic-line games of Sonic 1-3 quality.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe they'll allow something from Head-Cannon after S3K is done. After all, they have proven themselves, and Sega's been lenient with letting western companies do stuff for them lately...

*winks and nudges furiously at Iizuka*

• Thumbs Up 2

I was surprised they didn't go the way of a Mega Drive'ish sprite based affair when they announced it. Capcom had quite the success in revenue vs cost to produce with Mega Man 9 & 10. Sure 10 wasn't as well received probably cause 9 stole all its thunder and the level design fell a bit flat in comparison, but it still made a healthy profit.

If Sonic 4 was a full length sequel with all the bells and whistles that 3K had going for it with perhaps a new gimmick thrown in to excite the fans like Sonic CD had with time travel, S2 had with Tails and 2p and 3K had with lock-on and Knuckles etc then surely they would have had a winner.

Why they went with the look they did, that pre-rendered stuff, and making Sonic more modern when they had no issue using the classic look in Generations I have no idea. I think the use of old stuff kinda killed it a bit too. There's nostalgia and then there's being lazy. Ep II improved everything but it still didn't feel classic.

I hope after 3K Sega let's Stealth/Tax loose and says hey, if we can have a separate Boom continuity why not let classic have its own and put these guys on the case. We might even end up with some kind of official Megamix type game haha.

Yeah there was a lose cannon, more in the Japanese manuals at the time with a few bits making it over west. Tho largely over here it was Americanized and had to match the Sonic West Bible at the time. CD was the only oddity at the time really but even then there were points people have brought up to fit it in before the whole Sonic 4 fiasco

I was surprised they didn't go the way of a Mega Drive'ish sprite based affair when they announced it. Capcom had quite the success in revenue vs cost to produce with Mega Man 9 & 10. Sure 10 wasn't as well received probably cause 9 stole all its thunder and the level design fell a bit flat in comparison, but it still made a healthy profit.

Why they went with the look they did, that pre-rendered stuff, and making Sonic more modern when they had no issue using the classic look in Generations I have no idea. I think the use of old stuff kinda killed it a bit too. There's nostalgia and then there's being lazy.

The game that would eventually be named Sonic 4: Epi. I was obviously a low budget affair (I mean, it was being handled by Dimps and all) and was arguably designed (only) for iOS devices. After seeing the likes of said Megaman retro revivals as well as NSMBW shifting units, someone obviously suggested labeling it Sonic 4 and bringing it to consoles to get the attention of the classic Sonic portion of the fanbase dollar looking towards their way.

I hope after 3K Sega let's Stealth/Tax loose and says hey, if we can have a separate Boom continuity why not let classic have its own and put these guys on the case. We might even end up with some kind of official Megamix type game haha.

But how could they Tenko? If Sega were to make a new classic Sonic, think of the painful percentage of sales they have already lost before it has even been conceived, thanks to Sonic 4. It could have both TaxStealth on board, it could even be better than S3&K, but nowadays...so hard to hype. They've just burnt that bridge so badly.

SoA doesn't even make much of an effort to give TaxStealth's Sonic 1 and 2 remasters any decent marketing, let alone seriously consider giving them console releases, and whether Sonic 3 / Sonic and Knuckles / S3&K will even see remasters is practically anyone's guess, considering how those games hardly get as much attention from Sega than the first two games and seemingly have some vague legal limbo hanging over their heads.

If Sega is unwilling to give two remasters of old games a decent amount of exposure, how would a new game styled as those old games fare any better, especially with the likes of Sonic 4 still fresh on the market's minds?

• Thumbs Up 1

True, we are only guessing that 3K is on the way. Tho the new ending of Sonic 2 is a hint I imagine. And the prevailing guess of Sega using smartphones to QC and patch the games free before making a console classic remaster collection where patches would cost them seems like a pretty sound idea. Yeah its all guessing but its educated guessing.

That and hey, PS4 and One are out, and Sega has to have the classics on every console known to man right?

While no marketing may ever beat Tails Beard the general public is more accepting of retro goodness these days with a lot of Indie games being of that persuasion. Sega did burn a few bridges with Sonic 4 but the good thing about bridges is they can be rebuilt. Much like the modern line of games in the last few years. And '06 was a hell of a lot more unplayable than Sonic 4. I want to believe that the classic remasters will make their way to console and with that a bigger and better advertising campaign.

Yeah there was a lose cannon, more in the Japanese manuals at the time with a few bits making it over west. Tho largely over here it was Americanized and had to match the Sonic West Bible at the time. CD was the only oddity at the time really but even then there were points people have brought up to fit it in before the whole Sonic 4 fiasco

No no no, I mean like chopping off that canon from the main Sega!Sonic timeline and doing something new with it. The only way I could think of it working is if they made an alternate timeline after S3K that goes in the direction of Sonic 4 or something instead of Sonic Adventure.

Of course I know about the JP instruction manual stories, those are wonderful! Sega of Japan stuck to them rather tightly with the development of SA1 (SA1's whole "Chaos" story is developed from the origins of Angel Island in the S3 and S&K manual stories).

That's why I don't wish to see a seperate 'classic' canon but I guess just a timeline split at the S3K crossroads for whatever reason, if something like this were to happen (and it might as well.. I don't like imagining S4 being inbetween 3K and SA1 XD).