Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Hey, have anyone else been experiencing an issue with the Android version of Sonic 2 where the game outright refuses to load? It's been like this for a while now for me, but I thought it was just due to a lack of compatibility with Android 5.1, since I have a Nexus 5.

Yeah I've got the same problem now.

Taxman has commented on this issue over on Retro:

It might require outright uninstalling Google Play Services, but that's probably too inconvenient for the average user. Good news is Sega contacted me regarding this issue, and I've provided them updated builds to solve the problem, so this should hopefully be all be fine in the future. 

So hopefully this issue will soon be fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Updates Android

Still doesn't update iOS

I see how it is SEGA, I see how it is.

Yeah, a Ristar remake would be awesome. Especially since the only time it's ever been re-released is on the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, I think. So it would be really nice to give more people a chance to play it.

Ristar was available as an unlockable title on Sonic Mega Collection.

And I would love to see Chaotix get re-released, as I haven't played it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sonic 2 update was just pushed to Google Play Store today. I can finally go back and continue my attempt to beat the game.

Sonic 2 update was just pushed to Google Play Store today. I can finally go back and continue my attempt to beat the game.

Yep. I've received the update (Google Play) and Sonic 2 now works on my phone again. Yay!

Taxman also commented about the Sonic 2 update over on Retro:

Nothing special, Sega ID has been retired and replaced with a different cross promo API for the "more games" stuff.

EDIT:

Oh, also the UI automatically detects use on a non-touch screen platform (I.e. Android TV) and adjusts the game accordingly. The Lives icon will go back to the original left bottom corner and there's no need to turn off the virtual dpad. 

Anyone interested in the Sonic 3 campain, read this message from Stealth who's previously been very supportive of the whole endeavour:

Ok, so, here's a thing. Something has come up that may or may not have relevant reprecussions, and I think that it would be appropriate to ask you to put this campaign on hold, or at least avoid any more press for the time-being, by which I mean not only major press sites and such, but also popular youtube users, etc. It's not really something I can talk about, but it seems that pushing the issue further right now would be a bad idea

Don't get the wrong idea; nothing has changed regarding Sonic 3's status - there has been no approval, we have done and are doing no more work, and, to my knowledge, nothing has happened such that the remaster seems any more or any less likely to be approved

Still, please stand by

Sounds like it's something related to the music issues, because that is virtually the only aspect concerning Sonic 3 & Knuckles that people related to or fully informed to the game's development are almost conditioned to not speak about for some reason when questioned about it. That and it seems to be the only stumbling block concerning any future ports / remasters / recognition for Sonic 3 & Knuckles by this point that doesn't pertain to Sega's general apathy for the games themselves.

Well, he doesn't go into any sort of specifics. It could literally anything, directly or indirectly relevant to the game or the campaign, if even relevant at all. I'm not particularly fussed about what it is.

Well, he doesn't go into any sort of specifics. It could literally anything, directly or indirectly relevant to the game or the campaign, if even relevant at all. I'm not particularly fussed about what it is.

The fact that Stealth said "it's not really something I can talk about" makes me think SEGA has been in contact with him. Perhaps they are aware of the campaign and have asked Stealth to quieten it down whilst whatever is going on - legal etc - is resolved.

Even if by some miracle a remaster is given the go ahead, we wouldn't hear anything for at least a year until a new release is announced. I think we should prepare ourselves for a long long LONG wait.

Well aren't you just sending it to the campaign's main office anyways then it gets sent out to SEGA Mobile? you could still send it technically if that is.

FFS SEGA. Not only you can't talk about what exactly is the issue, but you're asking the fans to be quiet? What are you really trying to dodge? What warm we could do?

FFS SEGA. Not only you can't talk about what exactly is the issue, but you're asking the fans to be quiet? What are you really trying to dodge? What warm we could do?

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, obviously you more than any of us has contact with SEGA. If they didn't asked you to pass this message (which would be reasonable, since you are a very trustful face among the fanbase) then what is up? I know it sounds like I'm just trying to make a fuzz, but I really don't like when someone ask me to not do something without a concrete reason. Sure you certainly can't talk about, but I doubt it is because you -don't- know something. I'm concern right now.

Well, obviously you more than any of us has contact with SEGA. If they didn't asked you to pass this message (which would be reasonable, since you are a very trustful face among the fanbase) then what is up? I know it sounds like I'm just trying to make a fuzz, but I really don't like when someone ask me to not do something without a concrete reason. Sure you certainly can't talk about, but I doubt it is because you -don't- know something. I'm concern right now.

Something that he cannot go into detail about has come up and it could have an effect on the campaign. Ergo, he's suggested that it's put on temporary hold. Whatever this something is doesn't actually matter. You yourself have just said that he's very trustworthy, so do yourself a favour and trust him. What reason do you have not to?

I also can't imagine that this is inconveniencing you in any way.

But but...if there's no conspiracy then what can the fans of Nack the Weasel and Mighty the Armadillo cling to?! What!!!??

• 2 weeks later...

Welp over the last two days the NZ iOS Store got the updates for Sonic CD, Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. The update is listed as having UI fixes and now being compatable with iPhone 6 and 6+

I guess either Sega, or Apple, or both have finally gotten around to releasing the updates across the globe that were mentioned previously by Taxman.

So it sounds like we won't be seeing a S3&K Remastered anytime soon, unless of course Sega is waiting until the 25th Anniversary to reveal something. =/