Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

SEGA still hasn't fixed Sonic 1 sound test even after months. Do they even care about their mobile games?

Taxman & Stealth are both aware of the problem with the sound-test in Sonic 1 (which affects both the android and iPhone versions).

Taxman tweeted recently (although I can't find his tweet for the life of me) that he and SEGA are aware of the issue, but it's unlikely to get fixed in the short-term. They likely need SEGA's permission to do another update and SEGA probably don't see fixing the sound-test as a priority right now. 

The sound-test issue is annoying and should be fixed asap.

I'm convinced Sonic 1 & 2 will be brought to current-gen consoles sooner rather than later. Whether it'll be the mobile versions is anyone's guess. Maybe SEGA will commission an update to fix the sound-test when they decide to bring the versions to PS4 & Xbox1. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would totally double dip for a copy of these remastered games running on 3DS, especially a handheld version of Sonic CD with proper physical controls. I can imagine Sonic CD's bonus stages would be pretty trippy in 3D too. I do hope Sega works with Stealth and Tax again, they seem to be able to pull off wondrous things with their retro engine that Sega for some reason with all its staff and resources haven't been able to do themselves in the past. Kinda shameful really.

Also if anyone could get Knuckles Chaotix or SegaSonic Arcade running on current platforms and heldhelds without the "emulation issues" Sega keeps supposedly bumping into it would be those two for sure, and what 25th anniversary collection would be complete without those two never before re-released games!!

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 months later...

Maybe the topic is old, but I recently purchased Sonic 1, 2 and CD Remastered for Android and I was looking for fans reactions over the internet :)

-Sonic CD: I had never played it (not even with an emulator, don't know why), and after finally playing it now, I have to say I don't really know why so much people say it's the best 2D Sonic game from the classic era (no offense). This remaster at least has fixed the spindash move, but level design is messy and annoying (not Taxman's fault, but Sonic Team's). The worst thing is the "Past" and "Future" stuff. I mean, you have to run at max speed for a few seconds, but only a few times I found a place where I could do that without being stopped by a wall or an enemy. IMHO, acessing past or future should work like Sonic 2's light post bonus. And the only thing I didn't like from Taxman in this remaster is that he didn't allow for level select after beating the game like he did in Sonic 1 and 2. Beating the game with good future is really difficult, and having the option of coming back to the game to get all timestones or kill the robots in the past would have been really convenient. I'm afraid that this and the level design will keep me away from playing the game again. Not a bad game, but not as good as I thought (very good remaster, nevertheless).

-Sonic 1: it's just great. You can play with Tails AND Knuckles, there's a level select screen after beating the game to get the emeralds you missed, special stage was improved... Awesome. I'm playing this a lot.

-Sonic 2 is gorgeous. Everything Sonic CD and 1 remasters introduced (save game, Tails and Knuckles, special stage improved...), plus a new zone (that should have had that lost track in Sonic 2, but anyway...), achievements, VS mode... Brilliant work!! Also, it's really impressive how each remaster has managed to introduce some new cool feature.

Now, how come Sonic 1 and 2 are not on Steam when Sonic CD is? Also, what are they waiting for to port Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Perhaps Sonic CD, 1 and 2 remastered sales were not as good as they thought, or maybe they didn't find much support on this petition site (well... if they actually heard about it): http://sonic3remastered.com/ But hell, nevermind what people say: Sonic 2 is an awesome game, but Sonic 3&K just went bigger on everything. So big, that Sonic 4 Ep1 and 2 was very far away from what we truly imagined XD 

Honestly, if I was Sega's CEO, I'd have Taxman porting a lot of Genesis/CD/32X games to mobile platforms, PC and consoles with his Retro Engine. In an interview, Christian said he'd love remaking Ristar, Knuckles Chaotix or Dynamite Headdy (!!). I wish Sega allows him to do it some day. Ristar and Dynamite Headdy were my favourite Genesis games after Sonic. If only Sega had a contact channel for us to let them know what we really want... We both (fans and Sega) would benefit a lot from this.

We've been told numerous times that there are some legal troubles overshadowing S3&K, enough to warrant not remaking it.

Besides, at the minute StealthTax aren't on SEGA's watch, they're doing their own work. 

Separately, it should be mentioned. So put another way, StealthTax aren't doing their own work, but Stealth and Taxman are :P

We've been told numerous times that there are some legal troubles overshadowing S3&K, enough to warrant not remaking it.

Besides, at the minute StealthTax aren't on SEGA's watch, they're doing their own work. 

I know :( Still, I wonder how difficult it was/is to get certain music in order to relaunch a big classic that would make a lot of money. Sega could do some effort, in my humble opinion.

And even if Sonic 3&K remastered is not possible to make, I'd still hire "StealthTax" to remake some other classics like the ones I said in my previous post, or even better: to create a new 2D Sonic game with RetroEngine. These guys would totally do Sonic 4 as we truly imagined.

Ken Penders - We have our reason

May as well add my $0.02...

Sonic CD - I love the remastered version. I honestly never cared much for Sonic CD, but thanks to the fixes of numerous flaws from the original game (such as the awful collision detection) plus the ability to play with the imo much superior Japanese soundtrack, it's made Sonic CD one of my favorite Sonic games. Such a shame it's the only one that's gotten a Steam release.

Sonic 1 - It took me days and numerous tries just to complete the platforming in Marble Zone. Honestly, the touchscreen controls kill it for me. If I want to play Sonic 1, I'll be playing the Virtual Console version on my Wii.

Sonic 2 - I think the touchscreen controls work much better here compared to the Sonic 1 version. They just flow better with Sonic 2's level design. I've had my fun with it, not gonna bother with playing past Metropolis Zone though. Also can't play the special stages for the life of me, but I couldn't do them in the original Sonic 2 either without save-stating it. Overall, it's good I suppose, but again, if I'm going to play Sonic 2 completely (which is rare, seeing as I don't like the last three levels), I'll be playing the Virtual Console version.

Edited by Weedy Speedy

...The music legal troubles. 

Echidnyas, mythical plots, etc. Copyright Ken Penders.

I'm being both, sarcastic and honest. As far as the music, dead men tell no tales, and those in charge of Jackson didn't want him credited. So there shouldn't be any troubles since he was already invisible in the project.

Jackson may have been invisible, but Brad Buxer wasn't, and neither were other outsourced music artists listed in the credits. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm still kinda hoping whatever the 25th anniversary game turns out to be that they include a new collection of sorts with it. One that includes the remastered versions of Sonic, Sonic 2 and Sonic CD. The new consoles don't yet have any re-releases, apart from the 3DS, and they skipped the idea when Generations got released for the 20th, even when the emails between Sony and Sega seemed to imply that including the back catalogue was an option being looked at for the collector's edition of Generations.

• 2 weeks later...

Obligatory topic bump; Taxman's currently engaged with Freedom Planet 2, by the sounds of things. Don't know if Stealth is currently on a project. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Isn't S1 and 2 still broken and can't run on current devices?

Not heard this. Both games run fine on my Galaxy S4. Sonic 1's sound test is the only thing which doesn't work.

Not heard this. Both games run fine on my Galaxy S4. Sonic 1's sound test is the only thing which doesn't work.

The S4 while still a great phone in terms of smartphones is a little old, what about later Galaxy models? and the Apple versions, are they running fine on the new iPhone models? thats what I mean.

I'm on a Glalaxy S5 Mini and both of them are running perfectly, excluding S1's Sound Test like everyone else. CD is in the same boat.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2015 at 10:10 AM, TheChris110 said:

I like 3D Sonic the Hedgehog for 3DS. Sadly the spindash is flawed but other than that it's flawless. That's also the reason I'm looking forward to 3D Sonic 2. :)

Did they fix it in the new 3DS Collection release?

After discovering and playing Sonic 3 Complete the last couple of days, I have to beg Taxman & Stealth to take that rom hack into account if they ever make S3 Remastered. Lots of good ideas, such as getting back S3's Knuckles' and 1st act boss music, speeding up the music when being Super Sonic  (instead of playing the invincibility theme), putting Flying battery after Carnival Night (I didn't know that was its original position)... Just awesome. I wish I could play it at 60fps on 16:9.

Does anyone know if Taxman or Stealth are aware of Sonic 3 Complete existence? I guess they do, but...

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Sonic 3 Remastered petition at change.org has been closed: https://www.change.org/p/sega-release-sonic-3-remastered

I guess it was stuck on ~11.000 for too long. Although I know Sega wouldn't develop a game because of an online petition, it's still a shame that it didn't even get to 15000. I thought there was more love for that game.

I wonder how much money S1 and S2 remastered made for Sega.

I've re-opened the petition. (I wasn't aware it had closed, so thanks for the update!)

With these sorts of petitions, you need to promote them on a regular basis. Unfortunately, it was really hard to get people interested to help with promoting it and once the initial launch past, it sort of died out.  

I'm sure if more people helped with the promotion it would have done better. 

However, as I stated at the start of the campaign, petitions aren't really a good way to get attention. We did start a letter writing campaign, but it was even harder to get people to take part in that. 

• Thumbs Up 1