Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

Like I've said, those that are skeptical have all right to be. All it means is that Taxman and Stealth have to work hard to convince you guys too.

Call it a hunch, but I'm sure they'll deliver to those expectations. They're just as aware as the rest of us the weight these two games carry, both in nostalgia and in how tired people are of them from countless re-releases.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah your intention is being taken as insulting there.

Look, this has never really happened before. The Retro admins and site staff just don't blindly say "support this! good things will happen" all the time, hell I can't recall them pushing like this When Sonic CD 2011 was announced. and they rarely ever make appearences over here at SSMB of all things to come and say that.

What I'm saying is this is out of their norm and thats why alittle bit of hype is happening. they are not saying that these ports will save the franchise and bring it into a new golden age or something, but the push is for something good. they can't say but they don't push like this and have never have before, so somethings up.

Um... why???

So some people from some fan site want you all spend your money because of some reasons they can't tell? Because promoting a couple of their own board members allowing them to earn more money isn't enough for a reason.

And they tell us to "trust" them when they have a VIP system on their site to accept only people that could be of some use to them. yes, I'm still in pending limbo for over two years now and I do think that system is total bullshit

What a joke!

If the remastered ports are that good we will buy them anyway so I see no other reason for this other than promoting their own members especially since Sonic CD port (2011) was already great enough for SEGA to decide to make what these guys are making right now.

Anyways, if you are willing to spend your money for God-knows-what, go for it)). I for one will wait and see if the ports are that good and worth their price. (if they come out on PC, that is)

Ugh....

You annoy me ever so much... -__-

I'm not sure if I want to buy another version of Sonic 1 & 2 since I've bought these games so many times.

Maybe I'd be more interested if it were a remake of a more obscure game...

First time posting in this topic so please don't quote me and go RAWWWWRRR A TSS STAFFER SAID THIS. Or try and win points with... whatever it is people are arguing over.

I hope this game does well... but I don't think I can justify buying it.

I own so many versions of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 that I just don't want to rush out and buy another even if it is remastered or works great on modern devices. Last year I got both Sonic 1 & 2 for free on several different devices, yes they have their problems and the multiplayer modes are totally broken. But I could play them and got my enjoyment from them.

Maybe if theres a Playstation Plus discount and theres a Vita version I will pick up a copy, but I'm not just buying it for the sake of it. Thinking about how many copies of Sonic 1 & 2 I've had this generation, I can count at least 4, possibly 5 if you include the Sonic Generations port.

Whilst it's cheap, it's still money and I'm not just buying stuff for the sake of it. But like I said, I hope it does well since it does sound like it's a lot more than the typical port jobs we usually get.

• Thumbs Up 2

Um... why???

Just the way he said everything then covering it by saying "Not trying to offend everybody kthxbai" sort of made it offending.

Just the way he said everything then covering it by saying "Not trying to offend everybody kthxbai" sort of made it offending.

I guess, but I'm pretty sure that's not what he intended.

First time posting in this topic so please don't quote me and go RAWWWWRRR A TSS STAFFER SAID THIS. Or try and win points with... whatever it is people are arguing over.

I hope this game does well... but I don't think I can justify buying it.

I own so many versions of Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 that I just don't want to rush out and buy another even if it is remastered or works great on modern devices. Last year I got both Sonic 1 & 2 for free on several different devices, yes they have their problems and the multiplayer modes are totally broken. But I could play them and got my enjoyment from them.

Maybe if theres a Playstation Plus discount and theres a Vita version I will pick up a copy, but I'm not just buying it for the sake of it. Thinking about how many copies of Sonic 1 & 2 I've had this generation, I can count at least 4, possibly 5 if you include the Sonic Generations port.

Whilst it's cheap, it's still money and I'm not just buying stuff for the sake of it. But like I said, I hope it does well since it does sound like it's a lot more than the typical port jobs we usually get.

But you might be ensuring something great to happen to Sonic if you support these ports. There is a reason to the madness. 

huh, turns out I bought Sonic 1 & 2 on iOS long ago during a 99 cent sale using a gift card. So... free upgrades for me! 

Really, I think word of mouth might really help this game. Let's say Joe Schmo has the game on his iPad, updates it, notes how awesome an upgrade it is, tells a friend. 

I'm going to say one thing.

If the description of the remastered soundtrack Blue Blood posted means taking the raw masters of the original songs like it is implying, and we can expect something like the difference between this:

And this:

Then screw all you guys. My money is set aside already. Playing in true widescreen is nothing more than a bonus compared to that, nevermind how mangled the music always is in the emulated versions Sega has released for the past 15 years anyway. Especially if there is even a chance we might get similar treatment for Sonic 3, because I want the raw music that Classic Collection had for that without the shitty everything else. Besides, the thing will probably cost like $5, and I haven't bought a copy of Sonic 1 since 2002.

• Thumbs Up 1

But you might be ensuring something great to happen to Sonic if you support these ports. There is a reason to the madness. 

The phrase 'pipe dream' comes to mind.

I'm not buying something just for the sake of buying it or because something 'might happen.' Frankly I think thats a crazy mindset to have or to promote. It's all very well if you want to promote these games, but don't expect me to buy for a second the 'something great might happen in the future' claim because that is NEVER going to work on me at all.

I'm not buying games because something might happen. I'm buying them because I want to be entertained.

• Thumbs Up 6

The phrase 'pipe dream' comes to mind.

I'm not buying something just for the sake of buying it or because something 'might happen.' Frankly I think thats a crazy mindset to have or to promote. It's all very well if you want to promote this, but please... don't expect me to buy for a second the 'something great might happen in the future line' because that is NEVER going to work on me at all.

But this time it's actually believable because it's coming from Admins at Retro who have inside connections with SEGA.

I guess, but I'm pretty sure that's not what he intended.

It's not. I wasn't saying that to save my ass or anything, I say things like that to try and clear up the ambiguity that arises through text-based communication. Depending on how you read my post, my words could make me sound like a bitter asshole who's saying he thinks everyone else is a moron. I find it hard to say "I think this hype is stupid, and here's why", and explain why without sounding like I'm putting down everyone involved. So, I explicitly exclude the interpretation of me trying to say "you are all most certainly idiots" or similar. It looks like it had the opposite effect though :P

But this time it's actually believable because it's coming from Admins at Retro who have inside connections with SEGA.

And my dad is the boxing champion of the world.

Sorry but... I know that various admins of websites have connections with people but... give me a fucking break and don't go around telling people that unless theres some kind of guarantee or official word to go with it.

Unless there is something official which says "If we sell X number of copies we WILL release *insert game here* by this date." The attempt to get people to buy something by claiming that it might help with future products is bad selling.

• Thumbs Up 5

Sorry but... I know that various admins of websites have connections with people but... give me a fucking break and don't go around telling people that unless theres some kind of guarantee with it.

I think the fact that we've had ~6+ wellknown Retro members who rarely post or have never posted here before all posting in this thread generating hype at the same time probably counts for something man.

Honestly if it was one random Mod from Retro saying "something good might happen maybe" then I'd agree with you, but that's not what's happening here.

This is way too keen for a "maybe". This is less of a "something might happen" and more of a "something WILL happen"

• Thumbs Up 3

Sorry but... I know that various admins of websites have connections with people but... give me a fucking break and don't go around telling people that unless theres some kind of guarantee or official word to go with it.

Unless there is something official which says "If we sell X number of copies we WILL release *insert game here* by this date." The attempt to get people to buy something by claiming that it might help with future products is bad selling.

But Sonic Retro has never done something like this before. Like SuperLink said, 6 well known Retro members have came on here to tell us to buy, something that's never been done before. So that fact alone (plus, gauging from their posts, how excited they are) is quite a lot of evidence. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Well, I'm gonna need a better reason to buy it instead of "remastered soundtrack"(CD quality excepted) or the "possibility of good things".

If it even comes out on PSN that is.

Edited by Slash

But Sonic Retro has never done something like this before. Like SuperLink said, 6 well known Retro members have came on here to tell us to buy, something that's never been done before. So that fact alone (plus, gauging from their posts, how excited they are) is quite a lot of evidence. 

How many of these members actually know anything? Scarred Sun has connections with SEGA, but do these other well-known members? The fact that Scarred Sun is pushing this is significant, but you shouldn't lump everyone else who's just echoing it into the same argument. Just saiyan'

I think the fact that we've had ~6+ wellknown Retro members who rarely post or have never posted here before all posting in this thread generating hype at the same time probably counts for something man.

Who the fuck knows? Maybe they're just here because it's "Retro's week of fake hype into others Sonic forums". Anyone can be right, and everybody can be wrong.

Get your fucking hype on when there's real hype needed, for Christ.

Edited by Jango

Well, I'm gonna need a better reason to buy it instead of "remastered soundtrack"(CD quality excepted) or the "possibility of good things".

If it even comes out on PSN that is.

Not the possibility, considering how many Retro members have come over here. More of a definite if this game sells enough. 

Besides, it's a port with Taxman involved, it's guaranteed to be awesome and filled with fanservice. He knows the fans are sick of re-releases and the lofty expectations that are there, so he's gonna make it worth your money, just wait and see. In short, he's really one of us and he understands. 

I'm def going to buy this for two reasons

1. Sonic 1&2 have been updated with widescreen support, updated soundtrack, better physics.

2. Supporting our friends at Retro who are telling us we must buy it which, like Chaos Warp said, has NEVER happened before.

Not the possibility, considering how many Retro members have come over here. More of a definite if this game sells enough. 

Besides, it's a port with Taxman involved, it's guaranteed to be awesome and filled with fanservice. He knows the fans are sick of re-releases and the lofty expectations that are there, so he's gonna make it worth your money, just wait and see. In short, he's really one of us and he understands. 

Let me put it this way.

I already own the games for:

GameCube(SMC)

PS2(SGC, SMC+)

PS3(USGC)

I even own the original genesis cartridges for God's sake.

I don't want another copy of Sonic 1 & 2.

Let me put it this way.

I already own the games for:

GameCube(SMC)

PS2(SGC, SMC+)

PS3(USGC)

I even own the original genesis cartridges for God's sake.

I don't want another copy of Sonic 1 & 2.

I can definitely understand that, but this time it's for a good and relevant cause related to Sonic's future. Considering the price will most likely be similar to CD 2011's price, it a a steal for helping out the franchise. 

Also, 

The way I understand it, yes the decision can dramatically change. If no one gives enough of a crap to buy it, that is.

I think what Hogfather is saying has merit. The reason Retro is pushing this is, more than likely, they've been given the promise or at least seen the writing on the wall that Sega may be interested in utilizing their engine depending upon the success of these updates. Please note the "may be interested" part. I'm not seeing anything here that says what Hogfather has said needs to happen for those who are disenchanted with playing S1 and 2 yet again to go on and buy them: That Sega has definitely laid out a plan that if "X number of copies are sold, then they will make Y in the future." I imagine there's interest here, but not an actual promise, and considering the complete lack of concrete information on this front, it's not that great of a deal for people who are tired of playing S1 and 2.

• Thumbs Up 2