Awoo.

Sonic 1 & 2 : Taxman & Stealth Edition; coming to iOS/Android, most likely consoles too ("BUY THESE" - Retro)

azoo

I find it strange that when I was trying to say the exact same things Higfather said, I felt like everyone is against my words. Now when Hogfather says pretty much the same things, it looks like there are more people who agree with that point of view. I wonder why it's like that.

Nevermind.

I can say that Hogfather speaks my mind.

BTW re-releasing S1 or S2 is the most stupid idea with a purpose of expecting a huge success. If anything, these remakes should really stand out but ultimately SEGA should'v just make new games utilizing Retro engine and see if those games were successful enough.

I think that's illogical to release a re-release and judging by it's success consider making a whole new game or not.

Edited by ArtFenix

I think what Hogfather is saying has merit. The reason Retro is pushing this is, more than likely, they've been given the promise or at least seen the writing on the wall that Sega may be interested in utilizing their engine depending upon the success of these updates. Please note the "may be interested" part. I'm not seeing anything here that says what Hogfather has said needs to happen for those who are disenchanted with playing S1 and 2 yet again to go on and buy them: That Sega has definitely laid out a plan that if "X number of copies are sold, then they will make Y in the future." I imagine there's interest here, but not an actual promise, and considering the complete lack of concrete information on this front, it's not that great of a deal for people who are tired of playing S1 and 2.

But for Retro to push in such a big way........there just HAS to be something big behind the scenes. This is kinda unheard of for them to do this, so it probably means something when they do. 

Also,

Exactly. Stuff "changes" all the time like was said in the other thread, which is why they couldn't say anything then, but all of a sudden they do think there's reason to shoot for one thing?

It sounds like this is genuinely more concrete than the usual case of changing decisions.

Of course, no one's forcing anyone to part with their money, but I seriously think this is worth at least spreading for people who do want to give it a shot! I don't think what could possibly happen here should be undermined, I think that even if you personally don't want the game, you could still spread the word cause others may really want to try.

I know I do is all.

This. 

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)

Do we even know if there's a concrete promise or not though? They already said there's a lot they can't say to us right now. That's got to mean something more than just a slightly apathetic 'maybe'. 

I can definitely understand that, but this time it's for a good and relevant cause related to Sonic's future. Considering the price will most likely be similar to CD 2011's price, it a a steal for helping out the franchise.

Again with "helping out the franchise". Influencing decisions at SEGA with sales =/= helping out the franchise. If the game doesn't sell well, they do something. If the game sells well, they might do something different. If I understand correctly, the suggestion here is that if the game sells well then it'll encourage SEGA to make similar games. That's great, but it's not like the franchise will die if it doesn't happen.

We're talking about a basic fact of how the industry works; if a game sells well then they'll want to make more games like it because it's popular with people. That's how people vote with their wallet; when people buy a game, they're telling the company "I like it, you should do more". It's nothing special about or unique to this. I'm not sure where the idea of "pushing the franchise in this direction is better for it than not doing so" is coming from.

I find it strange that when I was trying to say the exact same things Higfather said, I felt like everyone is against my words. Now when Hogfather says pretty much the same things, it looks like there are more people who agree with that point of view. I wonder why it's like that.

Nevermind.

No, if I understood you correctly you were implying that you thought the people at Retro had something to gain from telling us to buy it, which is ridiculous. If that wasn't the case then I apologize for thinking that.

Edited by Frogging101
  • Thumbs Up 1

Quick note correcting Nepenthe- the engine is Taxman's, not Sonic Retro. Retro Engine and Sonic Retro are different things. Retro engine comes from Retro Sonic (not Sonic Retro), Taxman's old fangame. Sonic Retro have no stakes at all in this.

I find it strange that when I was trying to say the exact same things Higfather said,

[...]

Hogfather has read what you said and he most certainly did not say the exact same things you did.

there just HAS to be something big behind the scenes.

And what exactly is that 'something.'

A new game?

A remake of an old game? If so which one. Because I can certainly imagine the groans if next year they announce the HD remake of Sonic Sinball of 3D blast.

A remake of a non Sonic game?

'we'll look into remaking other games to the same standard and we'll wave the admin cost associated with this?

You can't say 'buy the game, support the franchise because something will/might happen' and expect people to just blindly follow it because thats both a fools market and incredibly missleading when it comes to sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nevermind.

Because you didn't actually say remotely the same thing Hogfather did, regardless of if that was what you were trying to convey.

• Thumbs Up 2

But for Retro to push in such a big way........there just HAS to be something big behind the scenes. This is kinda unheard of for them to do this, so it probably means something when they do. 

It could very well mean "If we advertise this on SSMB and get everyone there to buy it, Sega's interest in the idea of utilizing the engine may rise, and we may have a bigger shot at getting our foot in the door," which still doesn't mean anyone gets anything tangible at the end of it all.

Do we even know if there's a concrete promise or not though? They already said there's a lot they can't say to us right now. That's got to mean something more than just a slightly apathetic 'maybe'. 

Exactly. Stuff "changes" all the time like was said in the other thread, which is why they couldn't say anything then, but all of a sudden they do think there's reason to shoot for one thing?

It sounds like this is genuinely more concrete than the usual case of changing decisions.

Of course, no one's forcing anyone to part with their money, but I seriously think this is worth at least spreading for people who do want to give it a shot! I don't think what could possibly happen here should be undermined, I think that even if you personally don't want the game, you could still spread the word cause others may really want to try.

I know I do is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nevermind.

You think a guy would expect that from blindly accusing people of trying to gain profit from promoting something. Which you practically lashed out out them with...

And had absolutely nothing to do with what he said.

Edited by AfroWarrior

Hogfather has read what you said and he most certainly did not say the exact same things you did.

Why are you speaking about yourself like Gollum?

Well, there were some other ideas in my posts but all in all, I wanted to say something what you said. Guess you choose better words for that.

You think a guy would expect that from blindly accusing people of trying to gain profit from promoting something. Which you practically lashed out out them with...

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. That's not what I wanted to say! It was just one of ideas concerning reasons for retro guys visit.

Edited by ArtFenix

It could very well mean "If we advertise this on SSMB and get everyone there to buy it, Sega's interest in the idea of utilizing the engine may rise, and we may have a bigger shot at getting our foot in the door," which still doesn't mean anyone gets anything tangible at the end of it all.

... again, Sonic Retro has no stake in this. Retro Engine is not theirs. That honestly sounds more tinfoil hat than "They know Taxman is trying to do something good that will depend on the sales of the ports".
  • Thumbs Up 1

... again, Sonic Retro has no stake in this. Retro Engine is not theirs. That honestly sounds more tinfoil hat than "They know Taxman is trying to do something good that will depend on the sales of the ports".

I'm not familiar with the state of ownership of the engines at all, so I'm not directly accusing anyone of anything. What I mean to say is what everyone else is saying: Taxman and others are involved in these upgrades, and their further involvement could depend upon the sales.

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. That's not what I wanted to say! It was just one of ideas concerning reasons for retro guys visit.

"So some people from some fan site want you all spend your money because of some reasons they can't tell? Because promoting a couple of their own board members allowing them to earn more money isn't enough for a reason."

Certainly not the vibe I got from "that" statement. Even if that's not what you meant to say, you should have just edited your comment so that too, wouldn't be what people got from that.

Something like S3&K or Knuckles chaotix, but again this is just something we have to wait and see on

Fine Hogfather you made your point. You seem to have alittle crew who share how you feel about this as well.

So this topic has a serious divide on "buyers" and "non-buyers". thats fine, we can stand off and do this forever, its not gonna get anywhere.

I only have this to say for you non-buyers, don't go around telling people not to buy it for whatever your own reasons are weither its to just hate on Retro or you think its just pointless, just let people make up their own minds and see which side they want to be on.

With that, I think were pretty much done with this convosation. I rather talk about what possible features theres going to be and about Sonic 2's multiplayer anyways.

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why are you turning this into an issue of "sides" and putting the onus on people who aren't interested not to act in an unscrupulous manner, as if we were going to? No one here who's disinterested has claimed that they were going to go out and start spreading negative words about the project. Stop being melodramatic.

• Thumbs Up 7

The argument certainly isn't going to get anywhere if you derisively imply those who disagree with you are just bandwagoning around Hogfather. No need whatsoever for that little barb.

Fine Hogfather you made your point. You seem to have alittle crew who share how you feel about this as well.

Ok cut the fucking bullshit right there!

If people want to agree with me they bloody well can do just as they want to disagree with me, I don't need a fan club to make my point!

I only have this to say for you non-buyers, don't go around telling people not to buy it for whatever your own reasons are weither its to just hate on Retro or you think its just pointless, just let people make up their own minds and see which side they want to be on.

If you're going to post accusations like that then and ask people 'not to do things' give me one fucking reason why I shouldn't equally advise people not to buy it based on something that 'might happen' as apposed to advising people to buy it based on the products quality.

Edit:

No need whatsoever for that little barb.

When people start quoting me and then make claims, yeah, there is a need.

Especially since this isn't the first time I've been accused of haivng a little crew or club because someone happened not to like what I said, last time it was over archie comics. Whats it going to be over next, the price of milk?

• Thumbs Up 3

A crew? Hogfather has practically been the last known person of the apathetic to voice his views. Everyone else who's a non-buyer said so well before he came into the thread. 

So it's pretty much the same as the 2013 thread then, Scarred Sun came into it saying that she knows stuff and to explain a couple fo things (not that I am disputing that or anything, I certainly trust her on this one) and people extrapolated it to mean most of Retro knows. Which isn't true. There's no Retro conspiracy, they're just bumbling their way trying to figure out what's going on like us most likely while the few who do know can't say anything anyway.

And I'm sure if someone here made a port of a Sonic game, people on SSMB would support them and would try to drum up more support, so I don't see the logic with that one either.

Edited by Semi-colon e

When people start quoting me and then make claims, yeah, there is a need.

Especially since this isn't the first time I've been accused of haivng a little crew or club because someone happened not to like what I said, last time it was over archie comics. Whats it going to be over next, the price of milk?

First of all, I was talking to goku telling him to knock it off. I posted before you, didn't I? My post was responding to his statements directly, wasn't it? You're basically arguing with me because I told him to stop acting as if you were getting your "buddies" together to push his opinion back; which is exactly what your post accused him of doing. So why are you acting as if my post was in response to you?

Second of all, you knock it off too. I don't care if you were posting at the same time Nepenthe and I were both responding to goku. That's fair enough, and there's no problem whatsoever with your post for that. But you don't get to backtalk the staff through an edit just because you want to get your word in edgewise. At this point it's just escalating the situation.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Whoa, I think this is like, the most users I've ever seen reading one of these topics....

Whoa, I think this is like, the most users I've ever seen reading one of these topics....

Back in the Unleashed/Colors/Generations hype days, it wasn't uncommon to see around 70 people reading a thread at once.

Dat chaos man. Demz was the days.

• Thumbs Up 7