Awoo.

So how long has Tails been an inventor/mechanic for?

Badnik Mechanic

I'd be happy if they made him (and Eggman to a lesser extent) a technical genius rather than a walking problem solver. That seems more plausible anyway than how they usually present intelligence in the series.

This really would be a good angle to approach it from. All around genius sometimes can go into Mary Sue territory, so it's best to have genius be limited. It will explain why Eggman doesn't know much about biology or why Tails can't speak twelve languages after a week of study. It will ultimately make the characters more believable, as well, since study of the real world shows that all the Einsteins, Edisons and Teslas, smart as they could be in select fields, were quite inept in others.

This really would be a good angle to approach it from. All around genius sometimes can go into Mary Sue territory, so it's best to have genius be limited. It will explain why Eggman doesn't know much about biology or why Tails can't speak twelve languages after a week of study. It will ultimately make the characters more believable, as well, since study of the real world shows that all the Einsteins, Edisons and Teslas, smart as they could be in select fields, were quite inept in others.

The only question is: what fields should Tails be inept in? Maybe he could be illiterate, like in AoStH?

The only question is: what fields should Tails be inept in? Maybe he could be illiterate, like in AoStH?

He's 8. Not 4.

Presumably biology, much like Robotnik. Maybe also having a weakness in historical fields, which might explain his partnership with Professor Pickle. Pickle is clearly versed in archaeology and history, and actually serves as a good foil to Tails if knowledge of the past is in fact Tails' weakness.

I always thought that the Sonic OVA set the right tone for Tails' character - he still flies the Tornado, has his mechanical and inventing prowess, but he still was written to be a kid first and foremost. He is afraid of lightning and you could see the strong bond between him and Sonic both in their actions and dialogue. Plus he still idolizes Sonic (such as when he tries mimicking his poses while addressing that Robotnik robot) and also follows his lead with the taunts. Plus that racing scene from the Tornado towards the ruins of NYC with the two of them always has been one of my favorite scenes.

I really wish THAT was the direction they took his character - maybe even add the occasional smart ass wisecrack like he does in Colors and Generations too, but definitely don't make the mechanical/inventor prodigy ALL there is to his character which it feels like it has been more or less in the current Sonic generation of games and the like.

• Thumbs Up 3

I concur with those who think that Tails should still be a genius, but have a childish nature about him. I mean, the kid is eight after all. I don't mind him being a genius and all that, but that shouldn't be his entire character. He needs to have a more balanced personality. Colors was a step in the right direction by showing a better bond between him and Sonic, but I'd like there to be more to him.

I'm not that comfortable with the word "genius". Sure, Tails can be smart, but does he have to be that smart?

I'm not that comfortable with the word "genius". Sure, Tails can be smart, but does he have to be that smart?

This is the Sonic series. If Sonic can run at lightspeed and Knuckles strength is equal to that, why should Tails just be above average when we have someone with an IQ of 300?

It makes him seem less like a kid and more like a stunted adult. I don't find that even remotely appealing.

Tails already had a superpower: flight.

Plus I think in general it's more interesting for the characters to not be at demigod level. That goes for everyone, not just Tails; I found Sonic more interesting when he moved at speeds you could actually mostly process, and Knuckles I prefer breaking stones rather than breaking planets. It feels more relatable, there's more things that can plausibly challenge them, and when they do exceed their baseline in those life-or-death moments it's more interesting.

Tails already had a superpower: flight.

Unfortunately, flight is nowhere as interesting to watch than super speed or super strength, so Tails needed something to stand out.

I never got the feeling that the characters were at "demigod" level. Sonic is fast, but god tier fast. Tails is smart, but not smarter than Eggman. And Knuckles` strength varies really.