Awoo.

Do not buy Devil Survivor Overclocked (EU): "Who ya gonna call? Ghostlight tech support!"

Badnik Mechanic

I thought this would do well as it's own topic since I suspect a few people may have this on Pre-order...

Devil Survivor Overlocked is a 3DS game which has been out in the US for the last 2 years. Ghostlight had the job of bringing it to the EU, a task which they recieved over two years ago.

So in that two years extra development time you would have thought that the release would go smoothly right?

Well....

Here is just one example of how badly the game has been messed up. When you enter a name for the characters you are allowed to pick a first, last and nickname. The problem is that the game is putting first names where there should be last names, and last names where there should be first names... Just see this image for an example.

9z5uTOM.jpg

So you might be thinking, well thats not so bad... oh no? How about this...

In battle, if you use the 'summon' command, your 3DS will lock up and force your game to crash. Yup, it has a game breaking bug which prevents a major element of the game from being used.

gl6loLE.jpg

This is not an isolated incident, it's happening on every single EU copy of the game. The N/A version doesn't have this bug, it's just on the EU one.

The comments section on the ghostlight blog is just full of bugs about the game including the game breaking summon bug.

Best part of all this? Because it's a 3DS game, it can't be patched... well... it can but... odds of that happening are extremely unlikely. Don't forget, this game is supposed to be more or less the N/A version which came out 2 years ago so it's not a game which can be patched easilly or thats been built with patches in mind /from my very basic understanding of 3DS games...

But try to get your head around this... Ghostlight have had 2 years to bring this game to the EU and they've completely broken it.

So yeah... the 2013 list of fail looks like this now.

Aliens Colonial Marines

SimCity 5

The Walking Dead: Survival instinct

Devil Survivor Overlocked (EU)

Oh boy, I'm glad I didn't pre-order it, what a cock-up Ghostlight.

They should be able to patch it, but it sounds like a recall and restock is more likely.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ghostlight are the distributors. By patching the game you're asking Atlus to fix the game for them.

You're asking Atlus, who took eight months to get a Persona fighting game to Europe, to fix an obscure 3DS re-release.

Hahaha.

• Thumbs Up 7

... Atlus, please, get a god damn European branch already before shit like this tarnishes your name.

Wow, this is kind of hilarious, but it's really more atrocious than anything. I think Atlus needs to starting doing their own European releases, or at least pick a trusted European distributor. How did they mess up what should have been a straight conversion of the North American version?!

I should also note the NA versions of SMT games ask for your first name AFTER your last name, so apparently these fools switched that around in the initial screen without changing the actual programming of how the game reads that info. Wow. WOW.

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

Well the reason Atlus don't do EU releases is because they're xenophobic I'm assuming.

It couldn't be more obvious how little they care about this region, it's never going to change unless they get new management. Their games aren't even unsuccessful here, they just plain don't like us.

If they were Xenophobic, there wouldn't be an Atlus USA which distributed games throughout North and South America. I think they're just cheap.

With things like this happening on top of all the unlocalized or delayed games, I sure hope the 3DS isn't selling well in Europe.

Oh, here's another bug for you someone found

3. The "Accident" message in the auction house, when a demon lied about its stats, throws you out of the game and resets the system.

This basically means you have a random chance of the game crashing whenever you use the shop in the game.

Edited by Ekaje

Heard stories about this version sucking hard but seeing them like this just makes it unbelievable to behold. This is just wretched and Atlus should've handled this. *sigh*  What's happening here? Colonial Marines was set to be the biggest failure of 2013 and out of nowhere we have this accompanied by that Walking Dead game.

Yay videogame journalism....

Give a game a stupidly high score even though it's unplayable and buggy... sounds about right.

To be fair, nobody expects a localization to bug and destroy a game. I wouldn't blame ONM for reviewing a different version to get a review out quicker.

I would sure blame them when that review will lead to people buying a crippled game with major features made impossible or risky to touch.

Edited by Ekaje

Well, the NA version did have some bugs, but nothing game-breaking. 

I didn't expect Europe to have to wait so long for this. I picked mine up a year ago, and it was already out for awhile.

I would sure blame them when that review will lead to people buying a crippled game with major features made impossible or risky to touch.

Or blame the coders that messed up the game?

Honestly, I think tarnishing a reviewer because they reviewed an American copy is eh.. Come on now. Again, they had NO idea that the regional copy would mess everything up. Please tell me the last time that an European localization messed up the game?

Seriously, reviewers do this all the time. Nobody expects game breaking bugs. Reviews are shared between both versions too. If someone goes on Metacritic, they would get the same high rated reviews. Since ONM is online too, I guess they could put a footnote or extra information regarding the version differences.

...why did they change the name thing in the first place? o__o

Anyway, this is ridiculous. I actually wanted to pick this up in a few days, but... well....now this happened. That is fucked up. How could this even happen? Don't they have people who test that kind of stuff? Unexcusable.

I't think I'll just import the US DS version seeing how bugged up this one seems to be, plus DS titles aren't region locked on my 3DS (although 3DS games are). It took 4 years for this game to come over here and this happens. -_-

Fucking great.

There's irony here, remember when ONM reviews Sonic AllStars Transformed and gave it a crappy score? When the EU version of the game never had the horrible glitchiness that plagued it upon its NA release...

Sometimes ONM, you gotta try to get a local copy of the game, even if it means not being first to break embargo.

I was wondering if I should buy this.  Well, now I know!  One has to wonder how it got screwed up so badly, though.

Well, the NA version did have some bugs, but nothing game-breaking. 

I didn't expect Europe to have to wait so long for this. I picked mine up a year ago, and it was already out for awhile.

Do you know how long Atlus games take to be released in Europe? They just don't give a shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or blame the coders that messed up the game?

Honestly, I think tarnishing a reviewer because they reviewed an American copy is eh.. Come on now. Again, they had NO idea that the regional copy would mess everything up. Please tell me the last time that an European localization messed up the game?

Thats no excuse. There has been a two year gap between the NA release and the EU release. It's complete misrepresentation, especially considering the system is region locked.

They're effectively given the game a glowing review for the EU release which nobody in their right mind would agree with because... oh yeah... the game is completely broken.

Oh yes we'll blame the people who ported it don't you worry. But ONM deserves to equal criticism for not giving an accurate review of the product.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thats no excuse. There has been a two year gap between the NA release and the EU release. It's complete misrepresentation, especially considering the system is region locked.

They're effectively given the game a glowing review for the EU release which nobody in their right mind would agree with because... oh yeah... the game is completely broken.

Oh yes we'll blame the people who ported it don't you worry. But ONM deserves to equal criticism for not giving an accurate review of the product.

So? American releases of games have taken the same amount of time such as Xenoblade. It was the exact same game.

Again, nobody expects an English release to change the fundamentals of the game. Atlus takes forever to get games localized in Europe, sure. But they don't have a reputation of breaking the entire game. In my opinion, I would let it slide as ONM is judging the game as it is without the game breaking bugs.

Since the game is getting patched soon anyways, I guess it isn't that big of a deal anymore. If ONM gave it a 10x crappy review and it was fixed, a lot of people may assume it's still a bad game?

Funny because someone mentioned Sonic All Stars. I remember the forum defending the game breaking bugs because "they were going to be patched" while complaining about the amount of bad reviews. Why not the same case here?

If ONM, or anyone, really, is testing an imported version of a game, they should say so. There's always the danger of things being different in the local version.