Awoo.

Do not buy Devil Survivor Overclocked (EU): "Who ya gonna call? Ghostlight tech support!"

Badnik Mechanic

So? American releases of games have taken the same amount of time such as Xenoblade. It was the exact same game.

What does that have to do with anything? This is the EU version, it's been released 2 years after the NA version so fucking review the EU copy.

Again, nobody expects an English release to change the fundamentals of the game. Atlus takes forever to get games localized in Europe, sure. But they don't have a reputation of breaking the entire game. In my opinion, I would let it slide as ONM is judging the game as it is without the game breaking bugs.

And again, how does this excuse ONM? They might as well have not bothered to even put up a review of it if all they intended to do was re-review their US copy. Does their review even state it was the US version of the game?

The review is a complete misrepresentation, it's not the EU version, yet there is nothing to suggest it's not. So they're giving it praise when it shouldn't get praise as the final product is completely broken.

It's had two years of development, exactly how long in your opinion should a game get development before it justifys getting reviewed using the other regions review code? ONM failed here to accurately report and inform it's readers of the products quality. If they had done their duty then their is no way their score would be that high, nor would they have neglected to mention the MULTIPLE game breaking issues this version has.

You can't say "Well this game gets 90%... but it's got several game breaking issues which we hope will be fixed, because we think it's going to get fixed, it's a 90%." It's bad journalism and it's yet another example of ONM being lazy and incompetant in their reviews.

Since the game is getting patched soon anyways, I guess it isn't that big of a deal anymore. If ONM gave it a 10x crappy review and it was fixed, a lot of people may assume it's still a bad game?

Getting patched soon? Believe that when you see it.

And it is a bad game, you have serious game breaking problems, how is this excusable when you put this forward to a public release? Answer, it's not.

Funny because someone mentioned Sonic All Stars. I remember the forum defending the game breaking bugs because "they were going to be patched" while complaining about the amount of bad reviews. Why not the same case here?

Well wait a moment.

ONM would have had a review copy which wouldn't have included the first patch... so those game breaking bugs... exactly what were they? I don't seem to recall ONM reporting the burning ragers start bug on the Wii-U version, nor any other bugs which the Wii-U patch caused. So how is this relivant at all? And what game breaking bugs did ONM actually report which existed in the original retail release?

In fact whilst we're on the subject of ONM, I seem to recall you actively going to ONM's site when they made their original ASRT review score and almost encouraging them to disregard criticism on their score because the people complaining where from this forum as a matter of fact and saying that ONM were changing "their review scale so it is going to be a bit harsher."

What exactly does a game need to do these days in order to get a harsh score? Self destruct your 3DS? Only crashing and the prevention of key ingame features according to ONM is still good enough for a 90% it seems.

• Thumbs Up 2

What does that have to do with anything? This is the EU version, it's been released 2 years after the NA version so fucking review the EU copy.

Xenoblade took 2 years in development and there wasn't a single release change. There wasn't a single change despite the huge time getting it localized. If someone owns an American 3DS and has an American copy (could have been a long time before and release on the page for the European release date) it probably wouldn't be much different.

I'm not saying don't put an inch of blame on ONM. But I feel that trashing them for this is eh. I don't think any of you expected changes in the localized release.

Since the news is out there that there is changes, may as well put some sort of note that it's the American version. "It's a good game, but the European release has some game breaking bugs. Here's some ways to troubleshoot the problems such as ignoring the summoning command for the time being. The patch is on it's way so you may want to hold out on purchasing the game." The two issues here are the summoning glitch (quick google search says the summoning command is pretty stupid and that it's easily playable without it) and the auction house.

Getting patched soon? Believe that when you see it.

It's not like the developers said a fix is on the way. rolleyes.gif

ONM would have had a review copy which wouldn't have included the first patch... so those game breaking bugs... exactly what were they? I don't seem to recall ONM reporting the burning ragers start bug on the Wii-U version, nor any other bugs which the Wii-U patch caused. So how is this relivant at all? And what game breaking bugs did ONM actually report which existed in the original retail release?

Wait a minute. You did read my post stating that someone brought up All Stars? I'm going directly off Super-Link's post.

"There's irony here, remember when ONM reviews Sonic AllStars Transformed and gave it a crappy score? When the EU version of the game never had the horrible glitchiness that plagued it upon its NA release...

Sometimes ONM, you gotta try to get a local copy of the game, even if it means not being first to break embargo."

In fact whilst we're on the subject of ONM, I seem to recall you actively going to ONM's site when they made their original ASRT review score and almost encouraging them to disregard criticism on their score because the people complaining where from this forum as a matter of fact and saying that ONM were changing "their review scale so it is going to be a bit harsher."

Oh boy. Are people still upset over that? But yeah, almost the entire internet was laughing at SSMB for getting upset over the review. "Hey guys, let's go raid ONM and write bad comments!" was completely stupid. Maybe do it on your own time, but don't encourage it on the forum. :/

Anyways, now that I look back. I think Superlink confused ONM with another reviewer. Their review doesn't really complain about glitches.

Again, I'm not saying that ONM is totally innocent. I'm putting more of a blame on the actual developers since they're the ones that messed up localizing. ONM may have reviewed an American copy, but that is expected if they want to get reviews out ASAP. Nobody expected this to happen.

Edited by Autosaver

I'm not saying don't put an inch of blame on ONM. But I feel that trashing them for this is eh. I don't think any of you expected changes in the localized release.

It doesn't matter what they or anyone expected... You review the copy that is going to EU stores!? Why is this so hard to understand?

It's not like the developers said a fix is on the way. rolleyes.gif

Because they're not the developers? Well they are but it's not quite as simple as that.

Theres only so much that they can do since they're the publishers of the game and the product is still Atlus,' as pointed out already in this topic and on several other sites, Ghostlight can't do too much to the game for reasons which they themselves don't seem to understand.

But yeah, almost the entire internet was laughing at SSMB for getting upset over the review. "Hey guys, let's go raid ONM and write bad comments!" was completely stupid. Maybe do it on your own time, but don't encourage it on the forum. :/

Really... come on now... the entire internet was laughing at SSMB? The entire internet? Seriously?

That statement wouldn't be as ridiculous if you then didn't suggest that people wanted to raid them which was not the case at all.

It doesn't matter what they or anyone expected... You review the copy that is going to EU stores!? Why is this so hard to understand?

Why is my side hard to understand? The developers fucked up a localization. It was never meant to be released like that. It's common practice that reviewers obtain early copies to get it out asap. I'm sure there have been many cross-region reviews. The fact is, they're all virtually the same which is why it's not a problem. This is only a problem because the EU version was messed up badly.

Like I said, they should have put a note of some sort of about the situation. Like I said, I'm not saying they're innocent but I feel like there is too much hate toward them when they simply stepped in a bad situation.

Theres only so much that they can do since they're the publishers of the game and the product is still Atlus,' as pointed out already in this topic and on several other sites, Ghostlight can't do too much to the game for reasons which they themselves don't seem to understand.

Wha? Aren't they the ones that localized and messed up the release? I'm sure they have the power to patch the game. Where was the response that you read which came up with the conclusion for this post?

Really... come on now... the entire internet was laughing at SSMB? The entire internet? Seriously?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hyperbole?s=t

That statement wouldn't be as ridiculous if you then didn't suggest that people wanted to raid them which was not the case at all.

Um. It was posted in the thread/status/skype chat constantly. A ton of users from the forum came on there and complained about the review. The posting style of many users was basically encouraging it. And again, that part was an exaggeration too. It wasn't really a 'raid', but a ton of people did jump on there.

Honestly, I remember reading a lot of hilarious responses and derogatory terms toward the Sonic fanbase after SSMB comment bombed it. I hate to sound negative, but it happened.

Edited by Autosaver

Of course Atlus is the one who fucked the game up, but ONM passed their test of the NA version off as a test of the PAL version. Which is a problem since the PAL version has so many bugs that weren't in the other versions. As reviewers, they have a certain resposibility over their readers, since many of them buy games based on their recommendations. They didn't research what they were supposed to be testing right and that is a problem.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 3

Exactly. I know it's a problem but I'm letting some of it slide since it's not entirely their fault that these huge changes occurred. Basically if I had to make a rage bar..

85% Developers/Publishers/Localizers

15% toward ONM

To be honest, I have no idea why I'm in argument about this. It kind of obvious that I'm going to have a different view about this. I just find the practice of reviewing outside versions common which is why I don't see it as much of a surprise. If they didn't mess up the release, no one would give a shit that they reviewed an American copy. Sure they could have put a note about it, but I'm still not going to be that angry over it. I guess others might lose credibility, but it's not that big of a deal to me.

Edited by Autosaver

• 1 month later...