Awoo.

Jurassic Park

The soundtrack is out now on itunes, spotify and amazon. I'm listening as I type and jeez, this is amazing.

The soundtrack is out now on itunes, spotify and amazon. I'm listening as I type and jeez, this is amazing.

Will buy soon.

Aaaaand I just bought it...

There ARE hints of the Lost World game soundtrack here! Michael you are a miracle!

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay? That's literally all you're gonna post? You could, y'know, at least link the RT page itself as well or link some of the reviews

Guardian: 4/5

Telegraphic: 4/5
Digital Spy: 4/5
HeyUGuys: 5/5
HitFix: B
TheFilmStage: B
EW: B+
TimeOut: 3/5
Slant: 2/5
Variety: Positive
The Dissolve: 3/5
Hollywood Reporter: Positive
Slashfilm: 8/10

Sounds like it's alot of fun. Seriously can't wait. I am so ready for dinosaurs to be apart of my life again. I rewatched the original this weekend, goddamn i had forgotten how great it was, like just all around good in every aspects. A few of my friends got to see a screening last night, i forever hate them and am so jealous, but still, they said it was fantastic and i'm even more hyped than i already was. No doubt it's gonna rake it alot of $$$ at the box office i bet

• Thumbs Up 2

So basically the consensus is that it's not as good as the original, but better than the last two movies? 

Huh, that's actually how i was expecting it to be received. Good to know, I hope I'll get the time to check this movie out soon.

So basically the consensus is that it's not as good as the original, but better than the last two movies?

Huh, that's actually how i was expecting it to be received. Good to know, I hope I'll get the time to check this movie out soon.

Eh, the original was a landmark in cinema history so I knew JW wouldn't be as acclaimed as that movie. Regardless, I'm happy that it's getting good reviews.

• Thumbs Up 1

Quite a fair amount of reviews have poured in now. It currently stands at 72% (with 51 out of 73 reviews positive), enough for the site to have put up a consensus: "Jurassic World can't match the original for sheer inventiveness and impact, but it works in its own right as an entertaining -- and visually dazzling -- popcorn thriller."

So yah, it's not as good as the original (BIG SURPRISE) but it's still an entertaining action packed film with cringeworthy dialogue. Eh, I might go and see it then. =]

"Visually dazzling" is an interesting description. I've read probably a dozen or so reviews and haven't seen a single one that talked about the special effects that also didn't taken issue with them.

I'm also having significant trouble coming to terms with the story simply ignoring Lost World and JP III and instead latching directly off of the original film as if that is the "correct" way to do a sequel, when (for all of its flaws) that is exactly what Lost World did in the first place. Lost World quickly mangled its entire plot into a very idiotic environmentalist bent (then went completely off the rails in the last 45 minutes), but it still got the themes of the first movie. The returning characters at least started the movie wiser and humbled from the end of the first.

How do you reconcile the end of the original film with "Yeah, a dinosaur theme park really was an awesome idea, so let's try again!" How do you reconcile the background of the original film (which even in its cut down form from the novel, was pretty explicitly a corrupt corporation operating way the fuck outside the law to great disaster) with "yeah, we'll let them just do whatever they want again." Even if you ignore Lost World, how does the John Hammond of the original Jurassic Park spend the next twenty years in the background continuing to try and make a dinosaur park a thing after Jurassic Park? A consistent thread in the reviews so far are "Man, Fuck those other two sequels", and to an extent I agree with that sentiment; but those other two sequels actually seemed to understand the original movie thematically and all of the reviews of this one suggest that they didn't even bother to. And I'm sorry, but Die Hard 2-esque movies suck.

Was I the only one that said during the scene with the shark being fed to the dinosaur "Oh hey it's JAWS!"

• Thumbs Up 1

I saw it this morning and I freakin' loved it. As good as the original? No, but who the heck was expecting that? Better than Lost World and JP3 combined? Oh fuck yes.

Without delving too heavily into spoiler territory, it is in many ways a bit of a remake of the original. Many scenes feel like call-backs, it directly deals with the same theme ("Trying to control nature is bad, mmkay"), and there are a few fully intentional trips down memory lane here and there. But it also has a few new ideas that help keep the movie fresh and unique from the others, like the raptor-training and having modern genetic engineering thrown into the mix. It's not groundbreaking or something that's going to be considered a classic 20 years from now, but it's a fun-ass ride and I would personally think fans would be pleased. But the internet is always proving me wrong on that one, so...

Also:

The last five minutes does giant-monster smack-downs better than the entirety of last year's Godzilla movie.

• Thumbs Up 2

Meh. The movie was...really meh. Some nice moments, some stupid moments, a lot of middle ground moments. 

Anyone have any idea why they'd leave the original building to rot with all that equipment in it? I mean it just seems wasteful.

It'd be best if the movie actually did some explaining, but it doesn't sound too unbelievable to me. I could see something, like, it's a couple months after the disaster, he's had time to cool down from the shock, he thinks about it and he starts to rationalize everything, "It wasn't the idea that was the problem, it just wasn't done well enough. Yes, that was the problem, I did not spare enough expense! If I just do it better this time I can still share the dinos with the world!" etc. etc.

I just saw the film, and it was amazing! My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. My brother and I were taking picks at which characters we thought were going to die, I predicted all of them but one character that came as a surprise to me. Also the ending of the film was epic.

My brother started to get worried during the fight with T-Rex against the Super Dino since we both were getting vibes from Jurassic Park 3 with the Super Dino biting the T-Rex's neck and pinning it down much like the Spinosaurus did. Fortunately the raptor was able to save the T-Rex from death much to my brother's delight

• Thumbs Up 2

It is a Jurassic World after all. The film made $204 million on its opening weekend and $511 million worldwide, giving it the highest opening numbers of any film in history, and the second highest opening weekend just behind The Avengers! I saw the film this weekend and it was indeed an awesome ride, it's so satisfying for the first film to have a worthy successor to it. I might expand my thoughts on a later post, but it this movie was definitely worth the wait. I'm definitely gonna be there for Jurassic World 2!

Full info here, courtesy of Box Office Mojo:

Doubling the original weekend estimate proffered by Universal, Jurassic World is now coming in at a reported $204.6M ($204,596,380) for its opening weekend, the 2nd biggest of all time, taking an Express Pass by this May's Avengers: Age of Ultron ($191.2M) and almost catching Marvel's The Avengers ($207.4).

World, which nicely also doubled as a confirmation that Chris Pratt is an A-list lead, pulled in a healthy $47.8K per theater in 4,274 venues. That number just makes it the best top weekend theater average over The Avengers' $47.7K average.

Also stunning is the $307.2M the film made overseas for a cumulative $511.8M worldwide opening, which is the highest global bow in history, and not by some slim margin. It is the first time a film has ever grossed more than $500 million in one weekend. That foreign box office is the second- highest international opening in history, behind Warner Bros. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 at $314M. Jurassic World can also claim the title of Universal's highest-grossing international weekend by a large margin, beating the previous record holder Furious 7 with $250.4M. 

Not only is Jurassic World the biggest opening domestic weekend that Universal has ever had (the next closest film is Furious 7 with $147.1M) it's the biggest that co-financier Legendary has ever had, which includes the Dark Knight films.

Jurassic World outperformed even the most optimistic of forecasts for the last four days, surprising nearly everyone. Its $82.8M Friday was the third best Friday opening on record, with only Age of Ultron ($84.4M) and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 ($91M) still ahead of it.

Universal put Saturday at $69.7 million so that means they're estimating today's take at $52.1M for a total of $204.6.

Things look rosy for the film in the future as well with an "A" Cinema Score, with audience attendance splitting up 52% Male and 48% female. 39% were under age 25 and 61% age 25 and over. Approximately 50% of the international box office came from 3D.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well time to give my thoughts on this. I have been a Jurassic Park fan all my life. The first film is the best film I have ever seen, Lost World is a fun and different sequel (which is what a good sequel should be) and then Jurassic Park 3 killed the franchise for over a decade. Now we are back on Isla Nublar.

This film was good. Really good. People have given it a bit of bother (I know Nostalgia Critic is in the making of a video ranting how he didn't like it) but I do not care. The Indominus Rex was an interesting concept, he was what the Spinosaur should have been. The Spino hunted for no reason and would just annoy the humans. Indominus has a good reason, she has no idea about herself or the world around her and is figuring it all out. The Raptor's are okay, people bitched about them being tame but they aren't. They respect Owen but only enough not to kill him...while he's looking. Also, they address the feather issue so shut up about it. As for Rexy, she is glorious. People have moaned about the CGI on her but have you thought of how old she is? She'd be an old T-Rex by now and when they get older, their skin tightens. No wonder she looks gaunt.

Now as for spoiler talk I'd say wow in so many areas. The hints of the original were fun (I had to hold back a cheer when they went into the old visitor centre), I cried at the dying Apatosaur, My jaw dropped at how horrifying Zara's death was and I cheered when Hoskins got mauled. Yeah, I hated how Hoskins introduced militarization. Please don't Resident Evil this guys. Then one more spoiler. THE ENDING IS THE BEST OF ANY FILM EVER!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 6

Saw it today and loved the final fight, but then thinking about it, poor rexy was made to fight for no reason. It was happy and safe in its paddox and then "Ooooh, a flare! Oh shit, super dino".

Not gonna lie, this movie I sounds awesome. I may check it out when it comes to one of our dollar theaters here. Always was a fan of dinos. =)

EHHHHHHHHH

Let me say this movie was loads of fun, but for me the fun was mostly visual. This was strictly an action film for me, and is better viewed that way. The original Jurassic Park leaves much more room for wonder and suspense, and these moments are entirely absent from Jurassic World. From the original I can think of the vibrations in the cup of water, the talking DNA strand, the hatching raptors, Lex with the shaking Jello, Jeff Goldblum and the objects are closer than they appear scene, all from the top of my head, but I can't recall one bit of this type of cinematic goodness from World, having just viewed it last night. There's not one scene that leaves you in awe of what's happening. The movie continues to beat you over the head with action, which I can't deny is hella fun, but it doesn't really leave an impression. I can be compared to the jaded teenager in the movie, because I've become tired of seeing CGI effects. The characters in this movie are also exceptionally blunt. Their motivations are so plainly spoken that the result is a script that sounds written for dumb people. The kids were pretty much extras in this movie to me, I'd have preferred it if they became Pteranodon food. Some of the action was even borrowed from Jurassic Park. The JP scene with the Rex and the Jeep comes to mind, down to Lex fumbling with the flashlight. At least they made no attempt to disguise the borrowing, with literal throwbacks to JP in the movie. As far as the Velociraptors go, they were my favorite characters in World, and I have no complaints. Pratt and his raptors were an upside to the film for me, even if watching them ride through the jungle was slightly ridiculous. Irrfan Khan, and the raptors shone for me here. BD Wong, and Vincent D'Onofrio fail as villains however. Bryce Howard, in her role as a prissy female executive is too stereotypical when contrasted with Pratt's fix-it man to be appealing in any way to me, and their love subplot is an afterthought. In general the movie feels rushed to get to the action, even though it takes a good 40-or-so minutes. Some of the family scenes could've been cut for instance. For action scenes I give this movie an enthusiastic A+, but Jurassic World still feels closer to the Transformers series for me than Jurassic Park, all style and no substance. But this is the trend with summer blockbusters now. For having no memorable scenes that don't include chomping and not one bit of quotable dialogue I'd knock it down to an overall C+ grade, a fun but forgettable film, definitely not movie classic material.

Finally got round to seeing this. Definitely a summer blockbuster movie, an enjoyable ride nonetheless. Thoughts:

• Despite some of my issues with the CG feeling slightly unnatural, the movie is a visual treat. Dinosaurs move realistically and there's definitely a weight and presence when the heavy hitters come on screen. Some stuff looks more natural than others but it's overall great.
  • It definitely feels like a monster movie. I think the hybrid dinosaur is a cool enough concept and an enjoyable thing to see unfold on screen. Though er, it seems half the movie's plot could have been avoided if they were just transparent with what it was made up with in the first place.
  • There's a ton of super memorable scenes, be they adorable or badass. Particular scenes that stand out in my memory are the beginning reveal of the Park set to the original theme song, the petting zoo for little dinos, and the motorcycle ride with the velociraptors. 
  • The characters are almost certainly the weakest part of the whole thing which gives me the style over substance vibe. Aside from a few cool bits here and there (badass high heel T-Rex run!) they are pretty bland, predictable and uninteresting. 
  • The plot is pretty run of the mill. The spectacle kept me engaged. If you've seen any summer blockbuster monster movie (or even, the original Jurassic Park) you'll probably recognise this plot. The theme of family I felt it tried to convey wasn't done too well either imo. 
  • The whole thing is just a damn nostalgia trip to be honest. It's what makes the whole thing so enjoyable to me. I want to forgive other aspects because it feels like a ride through memory lane. I might have to see it again on home video and see if my opinion changes.

Overall a solid 7/10 flick to me. You'll have a great time with it. I just hope we don't get another case of the sequels for a little while. I think these movies work better spaced out.

Also, Rex and Blue vs Indominus? So damn cool. Soooooo damn cool.

• 2 years later...

I dug this topic up, extracted its DNA and gave it new relevancy! Jurassic World is about to get a sequel, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. A trailer has been teased all week with different clips (even a parody one) teasing new dinosaurs, chaos reigning, Goldblum's returning and overall dino anarchy. Are you hyped? I know I am.

• Nice Smile 2

• 1 month later...

Get Jurassic gear, everyone, 'cause the new Indoraptor's design has been leaked through toys:

Spoiler

latest?cb=20171223163121

latest?cb=20180113000030

This new monster hybrid mashes up the last film's Indominous rex with the infamous Velociraptor! Let's see if it fares better than the last one!

• Thumbs Up 1

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom releases in about 4 1/2 months. Now I'm surprised the story is going as deep and darker and to an extent scarier than the previous entries. Before we got a trailer, we were told the film will go back to it's scary roots ( I don't know why they said that, because for me the Jurassic films were never scary). Anyways we have the first trailer, which looks amazing, now the part where T-Rex takes down Carnotaurus, should've been kept till a later trailer, but I can say this Jurassic film will be the most epic out of the current 4. Dinosaurs, Volcanoe, Ingen's secret plot and more to be revealed in the 2nd chapter in the Jurassic World trilogy. They have said that what we seen in the first trailer is from the first 57 minutes, according to the director of the first Jurassic World ( Jurassic Park 4). Now there is a new trailer getting released during the Super Bowl this Sunday, now the same thing happened with the previous film, but I think we may get our first look at the Indoraptor during this next trailer. The Indoraptor is hinted at in some new upcoming Lego sets as well as the Baryonyx. So what do you guys think, are you excited for this new Jurassic adventure and direction for the franchise and what new Dinosaurs (they said that there are more dinosaurs in this Jurassic than the other films) are you expecting to see this time around?